• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
https://www.google.com/amp/s/moview...ion-mass-shootings-joaquin-phoenix-walks-out/

The movie centers on Fleck getting his revenge against his detractors and there are some who are worried that the movie might inspire people in similar situations to do the same thing in real-life. Phoenix was asked if Joker, "might perversely end up inspiring exactly the kind of people it's about, with potentially tragic results?" Instead of answering the question, the actor got up and left the interview.
"Joaquin Phoenix later came back and finished the interview after talking with Warner Bros. PR over the question."

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it might inspire violence, but it won't be the cause. Deranged assholes always find a justification and some sort of media to cling to. We've had killers inspired by The Matrix, The Bible, Catcher in the Rye, Death Note, and so on. The people who stand to profit off the real causes and their fans always shift blame where it doesn't belong. Good for Phoenix.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Title is misleading. The article says this:

"Joaquin Phoenix later came back and finished the interview after talking with Warner Bros. PR over the question."

So the reason he left is because he was caught off-guard and didn't quite know how to answer, so he went to check with PR over the question. Title makes it seem like he flipped the table and ragequit the interview or something.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I too would want a structured and lawyer'd answer to such an absurd question.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Clickbait as fuck, as Phoenix wasn't sure how to answer without talking to the studio people.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Title is misleading. The article says this:

So the reason he left is because he was caught off-guard and didn't quite know how to answer, so he went to check with PR over the question. Title makes it seem like he flipped the table and ragequit the interview or something.
I...fucking got clickbaited. Goddammit

Oct 27, 2017
I've been seeing this Clickbait headline all over the place, honestly he did the right thing. He stepped out to consult a PR representative and then he came back. Completely different than what the title would have you think.

And honestly people need to stop forcing some kind of weird agenda under this movie, literally anything can inspire the wrong kinds of people.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Things to take away from this;

1. Read the rest of the article
2. I'm not going to movieweb anymore

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I...fucking got clickbaited. Goddammit
giphy.gif

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Joaquin Phoenix later came back and finished the interview after talking with Warner Bros. PR over the question.

I think it's an important thing to consider as it may embolden some who will use him as a hero. But he won't be the cause of the violence, just an affectation of it. Like the Columbine shooters who watched The Basketball Diaries and adopted the trenchcoats as an affectation. But that wasn't what made them shoot up the school.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah nm you covered this already above

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If he walked off to check with pr then odds are he thinks it will but didn't want to give the answer with out approval. Tricky question when you're supposed to be promoting your film in a positive light.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"We all live in broken society, maybe everyone is the Joker...baby."

tenor.gif

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I actually think a lot of people wish something would happen just so they can say, "I told you so!"

They're not trying to prevent anything, they want it to happen because this movie doesn't appeal to them or they side with another comic book universe.

I'm happy he walked out, it's an incredibly stupid question to ask him.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it might inspire violence, but it won't be the cause. Deranged assholes always find a justification and some sort of media to cling to. We've had killers inspired by The Matrix, The Bible, Catcher in the Rye, Death Note, and so on. The people who stand to profit off the real causes and their fans always shift blame where it doesn't belong. Good for Phoenix.

You're clinging to your own false narrative.
Mass shooters are rarely mentally ill.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"So, Anthony Hopkins, what if Hannibal Lector inspires somebody to kill someone and eat their liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti?"

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question, perfect response.

it's such a weird obsession with this movie. It's like it's the first violent movie ever.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dont know why people are so obsessed with criticizing this movie as the responsible for future terrorist attacks from the alt right/incels

At this point I dont know if is concern trolling/marvel fanboys/ people who really looks actively to get offended by something

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If he walked off to check with pr then odds are he thinks it will but didn't want to give the answer with out approval. Tricky question when you're supposed to be promoting your film in a positive light.

Sometimes it's best to stick to a line instead of just going off the cuff and saying something not quite right, surprised they didn't have that sorted already.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Society has inspired it's own events what a stupid fucking question. If it has any legitimacy to it then it is no more than that of interviews like these inspiring the events.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You have to wonder what an interviewer is looking for asking a question like this. Did he end up answering it after talking to the pr people or did the question just go unanswered?