• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
the Joaqer aint half bad

------------------------------------
Intel i5 8600k
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6

EVGA 2080ti
Gskill 16GB Flare X 3200mhz RAM

Alienware AW3418DW Monitor

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I think you always choose the best actor for the award, don't pick someone because of their race/pity points. But we need to have POC in more roles so they can earn the awards. Not just African Americans but Asians, Hispanics and other races.

AlexSigCompleted2.jpg
Shutout to the dude that hooked me up with an evangelion forum signature back in the early 2000s. Wish I still had it.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Nice speech, love the looks of white folks passively apart of the problem.

So what the hell he going to do?

Words without action mean little. And white folks need to hold themselves responsible like he said. But we see how that's worked out

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
We need a Joker in real life so we get Batman too and I think it would be swell if Batman was real
We have enough "philanthropic" billionaires that cause huge amounts of problems with their wealth, only to pretend they are heroes who can clean up the mess they themself caused

Also, can we please move on from this childish signature thing and talk about the topic at hand?

----------------------------------------------------
DanStats1011.gif
arachnissig1.gif
CoruptedSignature1.jpg

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Words without action mean little. And white folks need to hold themselves responsible like he said. But we see how that's worked out

There's probably more chance of success starting in the US than the UK, the UK is over 80% White and without London would be closer to 90%. Its also a very class driven industry in the UK, and the battle is being lost and gains going into reverse if anything.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Personally I find it a little hollow to criticise the industry you're happily standing on a platform accepting an award from.

We've had this conversation before and yet here we are again with a huge swathe of white men lining up to collect every award they can be nominated for. Don't get me wrong I think it's good that people are willing to express such a noble sentiment but unless he's going to actually do something to back it up then in reality it's meaningless.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Only a person like him can get away with an speech like that, yes, that's also another symptom of the issue...

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Personally I find it a little hollow to criticise the industry you're happily standing on a platform accepting an award from.

We've had this conversation before and yet here we are again with a huge swathe of white men lining up to collect every award they can be nominated for. Don't get me wrong I think it's good that people are willing to express such a noble sentiment but unless he's going to actually do something to back it up then in reality it's meaningless.

He has zero Oscars because he speaks out. Granted, a lot of it is animal rights and Lunchbox Fund, and Rooney did have that whitewashing controversy, but now that he's willing to play the awards game, he's using the platform to speak out. It's a start. Let's hope it goes further.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe

What can he do though? Honest question. Turn down roles and stuff? Words do bring about action. Even if hes just saying things, hes doing something. I feel like it's the bigger heads that need to do more.

I am curious as to what are some actions he can take towards improving on what he was talking about aside from being vocal about it.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
He has brought up pretty big issues in his speeches. I hope he wins at the Oscars as well.

Braag 8)

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Says the man who got an award for a movie where he wears white-face make-up.

.... Seriously though, Phoenix done good in speakimg up.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I only half- saw the movie at my job, nevertheless I respect his speech and I love the awkward faces of some of the people there.

DHdFSUu.png

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's certainly a good platform to highlight the issue, I'm sure the Oscars will be overshadowed by it too.

scpt-signature-swatturn.gif

Oct 30, 2017
What can he do though? Honest question. Turn down roles and stuff? Words do bring about action. Even if hes just saying things, hes doing something. I feel like it's the bigger heads that need to do more.

I am curious as to what are some actions he can take towards improving on what he was talking about aside from being vocal about it.

He can turn down the award; Accept the award and get a POC to give a speech like what Brando did; Actively campaign for more POC in other films; Support organizations that campaign for POC films; Advocate for more POC in his films in his contract

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida

Thanks for proving my point. Words are useless, when peoplw in his exact position have spoken about their action plan and executed it.

Anyway etc etc words are useless

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's weird in British acting circles: as there's while there's a obvious almost blanket whiteness there's also a massive class divide, POC's are essentially the only working class actors you'll see these days as a few of the acting schools in London made a conscious effort to allow in POC's about 10 years ago (and there are a couple of POC orientated acting schools like Identity where John Boyega trained), but typically British acting schools output is not just white, it's upper middle class and above white.

Ironically in British acting circles working class POC's have a slight advantage in one respect (even though that respect is a bit racist in of itself) they're not expected to play Posh: the conventional wisdom is that Posh plays Posh and Posh can play poor but that poor doesn't play Posh. I mean if you look at the prominent British male actors: Eddie Redmayne (a classmate of Prince William at Eton), Harrow-educated Benedict Cumberbatch, Dominic West (Eton, classmate of Prime Minister David Cameron), Damian Lewis (Eton), Tom Hiddleston (Eton), Henry Cavil (Stowe), Jamie Campbell Bower (Bedales), Tom Hardy (Reed), Matthew Goode (Exeter), Robert Pattinson (Harrodian) and Dan Stevens (Tonbridge). It's a cavalcade of private schools. I think the last working class white actor to really break through is probably James McAvoy. While the few POC who break through like John Boyega and Daniel Kaluuya tend to be working class.

The Bafta's are a product of the system which produces white upper class actors.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That took guts! Dude keeps getting more amazing.

Hopefully he wins it all in the Oscars as well.

Oct 26, 2017
There's an aspect of pomposity and classism inherent at the higher levels of British Film that runs counter to the origins of cinema.

So if he's saying that at the BAFTAs then he's correct but I don't think it's particularly true outside of those upper echelons. Down in the indie sector we're all dirt under the heel of the guffawing upper class.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
He can turn down the award; Accept the award and get a POC to give a speech like what Brando did; Actively campaign for more POC in other films; Support organizations that campaign for POC films; Advocate for more POC in his films in his contract
Maybe you meant it but it simply didn't come through in the way you wrote it, but I just wanted to point out that Littlefeather declined the award on Brando's behalf. Which makes it even better.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically in British acting circles working class POC's have a slight advantage in one respect (even though that respect is a bit racist in of itself) they're not expected to play Posh: the conventional wisdom is that Posh plays Posh and Posh can play poor but that poor doesn't play Posh. I mean if you look at the prominent British male actors: Eddie Redmayne (a classmate of Prince William at Eton), Harrow-educated Benedict Cumberbatch, Dominic West (Eton, classmate of Prime Minister David Cameron), Damian Lewis (Eton), Tom Hiddleston (Eton), Henry Cavil (Stowe), Jamie Campbell Bower (Bedales), Tom Hardy (Reed), Matthew Goode (Exeter), Robert Pattinson (Harrodian) and Dan Stevens (Tonbridge). It's a cavalcade of private schools. I think the last working class white actor to really break through is probably James McAvoy. While the few POC who break through like John Boyega and Daniel Kaluuya tend to be working class.

Honest question, with McAvoy being Scottish do the same expectations apply?

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Huh, I didn't know Brando did that. Cool.

Thanks for proving my point. Words are useless, when peoplw in his exact position have spoken about their action plan and executed it.

Anyway etc etc words are useless
Point taken.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Don't make me pull the "I am very intelligent" webcomic for you. How about we don't criticise the few people in that industry who do have the guts to call it out?

---------
Weltall Zero :D

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Glad he said this. I'm curious what other people in Hollywood thought about it.

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.
~DarknessTear~ Gamer since 1986 right out the womb.