• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Kudos to you for feeling this way honestly. I will never figure out fandom's that are devoted no matter what, son it's more teachers or parents who are lamenting the that Harry Potter can no longer be used in their lives. I can only think if your major source of teaching your children how to read or expand their imaginations is this book series written by this POS woman yeah you should try harder.

The lesson you can teach, the morals you can instill in your children as to why you're not reading the Harry Potter series far outweighs the positives of their consuming
it

Also, it's so funny how quiet these threads are now from people that used to do fanboy drive-bys or hand wave away her nonsense. Cowards , you know who you arr

Not going to lie, it hurts like hell. I am so tempted to just cancel the author but keep the memories of the books intact. Same with MJ's music. While they will not see a dime from me in the future and I sure as shit will ensure to call them out in public from whatever limited position of power I have now or have in the future, my formative relationship with their works came before I learned what PoS they are.

I recently tried to listen to MJ's music recently but I have noticed this sense of discomfort that creeps in and grows until I switch to something else. Presumably, a similar sensation may gnaw at me if I was re-read HP books.

In the greater scheme of things, while it pains me (as it presumably does her other former fans), her influence on how I am perceived as a person is essentially nil compared to the dehumanizing she is doing to trans-people from her platform of immense influence and so IRL it is orders of magnitude more significant to the lives and livelihoods of a group of folks who are marginalized as is.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Not going to lie, it hurts like hell. I am so tempted to just cancel the author but keep the memories of the books intact. Same with MJ's music. While they will not see a dime from me in the future and I sure as shit will ensure to call them out in public from whatever limited position of power I have now or have in the future, my formative relationship with their works came before I learned what PoS they are.

I recently tried to listen to MJ's music recently but I have noticed this sense of discomfort that creeps in and grows until I switch to something else. Presumably, a similar sensation may gnaw at me if I was re-read HP books.

In the greater scheme of things, while it pains me (as it presumably does her other former fans), her influence on how I am perceived as a person is essentially nil compared to the dehumanizing she is doing to trans-people from her platform of immense influence and so IRL it is orders of magnitude more significant to the lives and livelihoods of a group of folks who are marginalized as is.

I admit I am especially harsh with topics like this because I'm someone who has never been tied into a fandom or IP. Some people are , greatly, which makes this very difficult for them. That said, the very least you anyone can do is have the internal discussion you're describing which is great. Hopefully they arrive at your mature, adult conclusion but I know many won't.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

Obviously I don't think Rowling is dumb enough to ever agree to this and normally I'm of the opinion that you don't offer more of a platform to toxic views like this, especially when they relate to topics that the general public isn't very informed about.

However.

I honestly feel like getting Rowling to discuss race openly would be the easiest way to actually get her cancelled to the general public, similar to how it wasn't his transphobia that brought down Milo but he's still utterly erased from relevancy.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
At what point should the world give her the tumbleweed/crickets treatment?

She's going to keep saying vile shit, is responding just amplifying her platform? Or is she pretty much cancel proof?

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

She's going to keep saying vile shit, is responding just amplifying her platform? Or is she pretty much cancel proof?
All ignoring her does is let her spew her hate unchallenged and unimpeded.

She has a huge platform already. If she speaks, people will listen regardless of whether we ignore it or not.

Ideally, Twitter would ban her and deprive her of her biggest platform. But I'm not holding my breath, especially as they seem to believe her comments fall under the 'health' category on Twitter.

aerach71

Sep 25, 2018
Ireland

The ideal point would have been when she published the first Potter book, would have saved everyone a lot of trouble

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the genius "if we just let boys do makeup and girls play with skateboards trans people will just ✨v a n i s h✨!".

Rate of acceleration into it all now the mask is finally flung clear is quite something.

None of the science apparently matters to them. The studies, the effects of hormones, what have you. Anything that doesn't support their narrative of "Trans people are wrong and bad" is immediately discarded or given some sort of excuse. We don't really "exist"

I'm just glad that Rowling keeps poking the hornet's nest with all this, and people realize what kind of awful person she is.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
None of the science apparently matters to them. The studies, the effects of hormones, what have you. Anything that doesn't support their narrative of "Trans people are wrong and bad" is immediately discarded or given some sort of excuse. We don't really "exist"

I'm just glad that Rowling keeps poking the hornet's nest with all this, and people realize what kind of awful person she is.
Nope, none of it..

..all while we continue to be fab in their faces. No wonder they're mad lmao.

Still, it's most popular fiction she's written in awhile so when you get that taste y'know.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely vile.
With Rowling tripling-down on all of this, discussion about "death of the author" or "separating the art from the artist" in relation to Harry Potter, and talk of WB Games going up for sale, I've been thinking a lot about the threads on the game which were posted a week or so ago.

I really do think that the Harry Potter game should be placed on the site's prohibited games list.
The time to act is now, rather than waiting for it to be announced after things "blow over" or waiting to see if it's any good before you feel okay about banning it.
That action sends a real message of support, and shows that they don't get to have free advertising or grow mindshare among the 50,000 members here.

Nov 23, 2017
Absolutely vile.
With Rowling tripling-down on all of this, discussion about "death of the author" or "separating the art from the artist" in relation to Harry Potter, and talk of WB Games going up for sale, I've been thinking a lot about the threads on the game which were posted a week or so ago.

I really do think that the Harry Potter game should be placed on the site's prohibited games list.
The time to act is now, rather than waiting for it to be announced after things "blow over" or waiting to see if it's any good before you feel okay about banning it.
That action sends a real message of support, and shows that they don't get to have free advertising or grow mindshare among the 50,000 members here.
Hard agree. The gaming side of this forum already showed its ass with the poll results. We know how little they care about these issues. Ban the shit.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely vile.

write the mods and admins if you want this to happen so they see people here want it banned.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Funny how quickly she started being ok with anti lgbtq groups all of the sudden. I don't think I will be buying any more harry potter anymore.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She took a while to go full on kill all trans people, but shes reaching terminal velocity FAST.

Holy shit.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
To think this all really started with her accidentally pasting a copy of a terf article into a tweet about fan art of her dumb monster thing. Ever since then, it's been "There is a point where we needed to stop and we have clearly passed it but let's keep going and see what happens" all the way