• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I hope she keeps talking, it'll be a net loss to her career and legacy in the long run.

Give her all the rope she needs. I want this to be fresh in minds when the game is getting hyped and when it comes out.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
www.theguardian.com

JK Rowling reveals the secrets of Dolores Umbridge

Rowling tells how Harry Potter’s least favourite teacher was based on a former teacher of her own, whom the author ‘disliked intensely on sight’
Yeah looking up the character, it's astonishing how self-accurate it is in relevance to her. The fact that she looks at the same inhumane traits, acknowledges them as gross & harmful, yet lacks the self-awareness to see how she embodies them or even worse is maybe fully aware but thinks she's the "nice" version of the character whose enemies are justified in real life unlike in her writing is frightening.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The saddest and most dangerous part of this is the way the information is presented. The people she's talking for likely won't care to go any further than her tweets, so they'll see her words backed up by links and claims that appear official and they'll take it as gospel and maybe even reference it in their arguments in future without really understanding how it all pans out.

I mean, this is a basic and regular danger with social media, but here she's directly playing with the lives of already vulnerable people. It's sickening, she should lose her account for this.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah looking up the character, it's astonishing how self-accurate it is in relevance to her. The fact that she looks at the same inhumane traits, acknowledges them as gross & harmful, yet lacks the self-awareness to see how she embodies them or even worse is maybe fully aware but thinks she's the "nice" version of the character whose enemies are justified in real life unlike in her writing is frightening.
Compartmentalization is one hell of a drug.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think most trans people go through a phase of advocating for conversion therapy for other trans people, and the argument that trans people are tricking children and gay people into transitioning is not new and has been constantly spread by bigots and TERFs for a while. Their whole argument is that people who are not trans are going through irrevocable transitions and surgeries and how that could happen to anyone, even cis people like them.

And it has been proven that people are less likely to buy certain genres of books that have a woman author's name compared to a man's which is why there are a lot of women out there that use pseudonyms as well as initials.
It also presupposes that the person going through the transition and their doctors have spent far less time thinking about it than a former middle school teacher and billionaire writer. It's almost Trumpian in it's "Excuse me experts, I feel all your research is wrong."

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
9o8Ov1x.png

C4mMmai.png

29zdWsh.png

seQBe7F.png

This is outright evil, she fear mongers about hormones, she fear mongers about so called detransitioners and then she essentially says trans activists are trying to do conversion therapy on gay people....
Oh my god she's just doubling and tripling down at this point. Twitter needs to shut her down asap.

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's it, I'm done with Just a Karen Rowling. I've only read the first three HP books, but the whole series is now dead to me.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It's obvious how being transgender leads to depression in modern society, but how in the world can depression lead to becoming transgender? I can't even begin to understand the thought process that would make a depressed cis person confuse themselves into thinking they're transgender.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
This idea that one of the most marginalized communities may force other people to transition is... wrong on so many levels. She is so fucking confused.

It's obvious how being transgender leads to depression in modern society, but how in the world can depression lead to becoming transgender? I can't even begin to understand the thought process that would make a depressed cis person confuse themselves into thinking they're transgender.
I'm not a professionist but I can speak for my own experience: if a depression leads you to question your sexuality, you should probably question your sexuality. Maybe that's the source of such depression.
Her argument doesn't make any sense really.

May 26, 2018
This idea that one of the most marginalized communities may force other people to transition is... wrong on so many levels. She is so fucking confused.

I'm not a professionist but I can speak for my own experience: if a depression leads you to question your sexuality, you should probably question your sexuality. Maybe that's the source of such depression.
Her argument doesn't make any sense really.

I think her argument is that a trans nature = insanity, and somehow depression leads to that. You're so depressed and "crazy" that you start thinking you were born differently than you believed.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that someone can be forced into "trans conversion therapy" is completely absurd on so many levels. Yet she's pushing that out to millions of followers.

A lot of transgender folks have difficulty even getting access to treatment. Some states in the US require you to wait months and visit a therapist over and over just to even get access to a doctor who MIGHT prescribe you hormones.

And God help you if you're both transgender and a minority. Or if your therapist decides they're not gonna give you the letter of recommendation for whatever reason. You could be waiting years.

It's clear that she doesn't know, or care, about the struggles that transgender folks such as myself face. A complete lack of empathy and sympathy on every level.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sick of this woman, but it does give me some hope to see that, at the very least, the American portion of the feminist movement is so vocal in shouting her down. I wish the same could be said for her home turf (TERF?).

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I think her argument is that a trans nature = insanity, and somehow depression leads to that. You're so depressed and "crazy" that you start thinking you were born differently than you believed.
I didn't think so at first because she said "As I've said many times, transition may be the answer to some", but maybe she just meant something like "feeding into the delusion might help some", which is never good mental health practice in any situation as far as I'm aware. When you're trans or queer the real delusion is trying to live life cis gendered, which is why transitioning helps most people.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to speculate about Rowling, but it's possible that someone could reach that conclusion if they have confused dysphoria for a symptom of depression.
For example: "my depression made me want to be a man/woman" rather than "my untreated gender dysphoria gave me severe depression for years".

The idea that someone can be forced into "trans conversion therapy" is completely absurd on so many levels. Yet she's pushing that out to millions of followers.
A lot of transgender folks have difficulty even getting access to treatment. Some states in the US require you to wait months and visit a therapist over and over just to even get access to a doctor who MIGHT prescribe you hormones.
And God help you if you're both transgender and a minority. Or if your therapist decides they're not gonna give you the letter of recommendation for whatever reason. You could be waiting years.
It's clear that she doesn't know, or care, about the struggles that transgender folks such as myself face. A complete lack of empathy and sympathy on every level.
The UK is particularly bad for this too:
www.bbc.co.uk

Transgender people face two-year wait for NHS appointment

Waiting times for initial consultations for transgender patients soars, despite an NHS pledge.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't think so at first because she said "As I've said many times, transition may be the answer to some", but maybe she just meant something like "feeding into the delusion might help some", which is never good mental health practice in any situation as far as I'm aware. When you're trans or queer the real delusion is trying to live life cis gendered, which is why transitioning helps most people.

I feel like this still has to do with that weirdly self-involved part of her "essay," where she straight up says she might have been tricked into being a trans man if she knew about the concept of transitioning as a young girl, because she hated so much about herself. She literally can't conceive of other people experiencing the world differently than she does, so she's projecting her own self-hatred and the way it makes her think she might have wanted to not be a girl anymore onto trans people and thinks they must all lie to themselves about their gender because of self-hate.

I think she accepts that there must somehow probably be some people who are trans because of biological factors - since she only cares about biology, facts and not feelings! - but that they must be exceptionally rare and most people transitioning just experience self-loathing and aren't being treated properly.

Obviously this is bullshit, but I think it's very specific bullshit.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I wanna circle back to this thread to say that higher rates of depression, anxiety, and mental illness are often weaponized against trans people by transphobes who want to say that we're unstable or untrustworthy. I've even seen higher suicide rates for trans people used to prove that people are more depressed after they transition - which is obviously untrue, since people are by and large much happier with themselves after they've transitioned, and rates of detransition are vanishingly low. However, that doesn't mean that society makes the experience of living as a trans person easy, and the stigma and shame can lead to a lot of anxiety.

The fact is that being trans doesn't make you more likely to be mentally ill or to get depressed or anxious, but living in a transphobic society that's constantly telling you that your gender isn't real or treating you like a pervert for wanting to use the bathroom associated with your gender, most definitely does lead to increased depression, anxiety, and stress. If society starts to treat trans people like human beings worthy of respect, and listen to us regarding our needs with health care and civil rights, we'll start to see far lower cases of depression and suicide among trans folks.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Typical move from a bigots playbook to accuse the people you're trying to demonize of the very thing you're trying to advocate from the other side. Her slippery slide continues to no-ones surprise. I just wonder how much lower she'll sink.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to speculate about Rowling, but it's possible that someone could reach that conclusion if they have confused dysphoria for a symptom of depression.
For example: "my depression made me want to be a man/woman" rather than "my untreated gender dysphoria gave me severe depression for years".

The UK is particularly bad for this too:
www.bbc.co.uk

Transgender people face two-year wait for NHS appointment

Waiting times for initial consultations for transgender patients soars, despite an NHS pledge.
Exactly its offing hard to get the hormone therapy anyway! I know trans friends who had to wait for ages and meet all sorts of requirements prior to being eligible to having it even offered.

Her statement is shockingly tone deaf...and frankly dangerous.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
My early teenage years are so fondly tied to her HP books. For the first time since MJ (whose music formed my childhood years) have I had this much trouble rejecting an artist's/author's works because of their abuse of their status and platform of power and influence via committing and/or disseminating vile acts and messages.

Fuck JK Rowling.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Exactly its offing hard to get the hormone therapy anyway! I know trans friends who had to wait for ages and meet all sorts of requirements prior to being eligible to having it even offered.

Her statement is shockingly tone deaf...and frankly dangerous.
The whole scaremongering of people transitioning at the drop of a hat is so detached from reality. When I began my process, first opening with my mom and our family psychologist it then took nearly a full year on a waitlist to begin appointments at the gender identity clinic spread over a few months, and it ultimately it wasn't until about a year and a half from coming out that I finally got prescribed HRT.

It isn't at all some impulsive decision, it's a long road of questioning and consideration of the societal and medical risks involved - from personal research and professionals. Then even after figured out your path the transition isn't instant either nor do all your concerns just evaporate.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
My early teenage years are so fondly tied to her HP books. For the first time since MJ (whose music formed my childhood years) have I had this much trouble rejecting an artist's/author's works because of their abuse of their status and platform of power and influence via committing and/or disseminating vile acts and messages.

Fuck JK Rowling.

Kudos to you for feeling this way honestly. I will never figure out fandom's that are devoted no matter what, son it's more teachers or parents who are lamenting the that Harry Potter can no longer be used in their lives. I can only think if your major source of teaching your children how to read or expand their imaginations is this book series written by this POS woman yeah you should try harder.

The lesson you can teach, the morals you can instill in your children as to why you're not reading the Harry Potter series far outweighs the positives of their consuming
it

Also, it's so funny how quiet these threads are now from people that used to do fanboy drive-bys or hand wave away her nonsense. Cowards , you know who you arr

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Is it affluenza that prevents the rich and famous from being capable of ever shutting up? Like they suddenly become experts in all subjects. How in the world is a person whose sole expertise is in their own fantasy such a loud voice for terfdom?

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm astounded at how pathetic she is. She could be doing literally anything right now but she chooses to vigorously misunderstand a subject she has clear bias against and regurgitate bile from an echo chamber she's already decided was correct when she entered it.

She is a disgusting, hollow pile of shame and misplaced hate. Being hurt doesn't mean you can hurt others.

She needs to be deplatformed. She doesn't deserve to have the opportunity to spread her foul hatred. It is insidious that she parades around liking and gushing over children's drawings one day and violently arguing against the rights of a minority the next. Talk about indoctrination. Disgusting piece of sputum.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those curious about the sources Rowling cites, Andrew Carter comes to the rescue again.

Wonderful thread. Thank you for sharing. Not just a good thread for this specific situation, but lots of good information in that thread for people who are confused by or very unfamiliar with transgender issues in general. If anyone is confused by any of this, that seems like a great place to start.

And once again, fuck JK Rowling and fuck TERFs.