• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
She is, but given that previously she expressed her views through likes and follows instead of directly tweeting about it, she kinda flew under the radar.

Now the mask is gone and there's no deniability or ambiguity anymore. It's plain for all to see, even those who don't scrutinise her.

She's been saying and doing yikes stuff for a long time. Even her books are absolutely brimming with red flags. The antisemitism, the only Chinese character being called Cho Chang, the only Irish character being called Seamus Finnegan (who has stuff explode around him all the time).

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
She's been saying and doing yikes stuff for a long time. Even her books are absolutely brimming with red flags. The antisemitism, the only Chinese character being called Cho Chang, the only Irish character being called Seamus Finnegan (who has stuff explode around him all the time).

good fucking lord how'd i miss that one

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
REAL WITCHE'S RIGHTS.

FUCK YEA

Pagan rights!

Thank you for your feedback, your opinion about my tone and your desire to police it have been duly noted, have a nice day.

This is old now, but you're the best!

Question: What do TERFS think about trans-men? Do they even think about them at all?

Pretty much no one does sadly. In the last debate one of the speakers (I won't get into who because I don't want to derail with politics) talked about the need to protect trans women but just left trans men out in the cold.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
It's only through cowardice that TERFS don't display more of the '-isms' they undoubtedly hold. They're going to hold on to their transphobia like the bastion of bigotry it is.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them started to get a little more 'brave' as good old fashioned homophobia and racism increasingly slip back into vogue during the upcoming years of glorious Tory rule in the UK.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Question: What do TERFS think about trans-men? Do they even think about them at all?
A lot of TERFs just ignore trans men, but the worst TERFs try to appropriate them as a shield while simultaneously denying them their identity as men. They do not believe trans identities are valid and thus see trans men as "misguided women", and since they argue themselves to be feminists, they then claim that they are inclusive of trans men (whom they deny their identity and see as women) and that they are therefore not exclusionary towards trans people at all. It is a grotesquely twisted tactic that denies trans men their identity and attempts to abuse them as a shield against people who correctly point out their blatant transphobia. It's just another layer of transphobia on top their transphobic trash heap of an ideology.

Fuck TERFs.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this isn't worth a bump, but I saw this on Twitter and I think it's relevant considering there were a decent number of "she's usually super progressive besides this" posts in this thread.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Excusing Transphobia; Prior Severe Ban for Excusing Blackface
Gervais always takes the same approach to marginalised groups - in The Office he simultaneously earns respect for casting disabled actors to play disabled characters, at a time when that didn't always happen, and then plays both sides, when it comes to using them as a comedic device. The same with Extras and Francesca Martinez's casting - he again laughs at her disability, yet writes her as a character, rather than just a plot device.

I think he might just be one of those characters who genuinely believes that there are no limits when it comes to comedy. If you look at the guy who is he is responding to in that Tweet, he has an equally sardonic tone about nearly everything he posts, and Gervais is just responding in kind. I might be giving him too much credit, but I honestly don't believe he is a terrible person, just one who thinks that anyone is open to mocking.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Gervais always takes the same approach to marginalised groups - in The Office he simultaneously earns respect for casting disabled actors to play disabled characters, at a time when that didn't always happen, and then plays both sides, when it comes to using them as a comedic device. The same with Extras and Francesca Martinez's casting - he again laughs at her disability, yet writes her as a character, rather than just a plot device.

I think he might just be one of those characters who genuinely believes that there are no limits when it comes to comedy. If you look at the guy who is he is responding to in that Tweet, he has an equally sardonic tone about nearly everything he posts, and Gervais is just responding in kind. I might be giving him too much credit, but I honestly don't believe he is a terrible person, just one who thinks that anyone is open to mocking.
You don't think mocking, invalidating and demeaning trans people persistently with transphobic jokes, years past the point of knowing their damaging affect, makes you a shit person?

I don't see him donning blackface for a set or joking about rape victims. This whole "comedy has no limits" nonsense has zero merit. It very obviously has limits, and Gervais is well aware of where he's drawing the line in the sand.

What it actually is, is that he realises he can get cheap laughs over one easy-to-target minority that's still largely socially acceptable to mock. That he can still get his kicks winding up trans people and telling jokes at their expense, knowing full well he has an ardent defense force in his fans.

He is a coward, happy to toe the line of what's socially acceptable only far enough that it continues to pad his wallet. Someone who is both content espousing transphobic content and also telling people they're mistaken and that it, and he, aren't transphobic.

This says volumes:

Last edited:

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
You don't think mocking, invalidating and demeaning trans people persistently with transphobic jokes, years past the fact when you've been aware of their damaging affect, makes you a shit person?

I don't see him donning blackface for a set or joking about rape victims. This whole "comedy has no limits" nonsense has zero merit. It very obviously has limits, and Gervais is well aware of where he's drawing the line in the sand.

What it actually is, is that he realises he can get cheap laughs over one easy-to-target minority that's still largely socially acceptable to mock. That he can still get his kicks winding up trans people and telling jokes at their expense, knowing full well he has an ardent defense force in his fans.

He is a coward, happy to toe the line of what's socially acceptable only far enough that it continues to pad his wallet. Someone who is both content espousing transphobic content and also telling people they're mistaken and that it, and he, aren't transphobic.

This says volumes:

UGGGHHH i hate that guy. "science doesn't care about your feelings sweaty ;)". it's always someone who has 0 interest/experience with empirical science and evidence-based practice who spouts of that kind of bs. trans people are real and valued and always welcome in my science lmao.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No. Fuck off with this bullshit.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

This sounds like giving Gervais (and everybody else) a pass as long as it's "comedy". Ewww....

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like giving Gervais (and everybody else) a pass as long as it's "comedy". Ewww....

I'm not defending him actually, merely pointing out he has had a 'complex' relationship with minorities since forever in his comedy. On one hand you have to commend him for employing, for example, disabled actors in The Office, but then on the other, you have to wonder if he is only doing so to make them the crux of the joke, which I don't think he has. *I* am not saying that everything is 'fair game' when it comes to comedy at all, but I can recall him saying something similar to that in the past.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not defending him actually, merely pointing out he has had a 'complex' relationship with minorities since forever in his comedy. On one hand you have to commend him for employing, for example, disabled actors in The Office, but then on the other, you have to wonder if he is only doing so to make them the crux of the joke, which I don't think he has. *I* am not saying that everything is 'fair game' when it comes to comedy at all, but I can recall him saying something similar to that in the past.
But it's not, and he evidently doesn't believe that as I explained in my post above that you ignored.

Again, you don't think mocking, invalidating and demeaning trans people persistently with transphobic jokes, years past the point of knowing their damaging affect, makes you a shit person?

"not defending him, merely pointing out"

As fucking spineless as Gervais himself with your bullshit.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater

That's not how that works. In fact that's so much worse because not only are you letting it slide for commedy your also admitting that he's two-faced and pretending to be progressive for writing disabled characters while also mocking them. He is not progressive and honestly doesn't deserve to derail this thread about jk Rowling's blatent transphobia.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"Transphobes are actually ok if they make me laugh"

🤡

Comedy is always a divisive thing though, whether it be a show or a comedian in particular. I can't recall there being any that have been universally loved. I'm a big fan of Gervais, be it with or without Merchant. I recently saw his 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee' and just find him a funny dude. You can tell Jerry likes the guy too.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But it's not, and he evidently doesn't believe that as I explained in my post above that you ignored.

From the man himself

"Please stop saying 'You can't joke about anything anymore.' You can," Gervais wrote. "You can joke about whatever the f**k you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a f**k or not. And so on. It's a good system."

He added, "There is no subject out of bounds. People often get offended when they mistake the subject of a joke with the actual target. It all depends on the joke."

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
From the man himself
What's your point? As I said earlier:

"From the man himself:"

You claim it's all about jokes when it clearly isn't.

Not that that point is to be dismissed as you keep evading it, since you also seem to think comedy absolves someone of being a bad person despite demeaning, mocking and invalidating trans people for years in full knowledge of the harmful affect it has.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
j1atjwrzn2v21.jpg
This is so accurate.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
"He just thinks comedy has no limits" makes even less sense here when his tweet isn't even a joke. What part of "We need to protect the rights of women. Not erode them because some men have found a new cunning way to dominate and demonise an entire sex." is a fucking joke? I can't even fucking paraphrase that vile vilification of us as invading dominators.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"He just thinks comedy has no limits" makes even less sense here when his tweet isn't even a joke. What part of "We need to protect the rights of women. Not erode them because some men have found a new cunning way to dominate and demonise an entire sex." is a fucking joke? I can't even fucking paraphrase that vile vilification of us as invading dominators.

That tweet was in reply to a similarly toned one from Jarvis Dupont. I read it as satire, hence my comment before, knowing Dupont's twitter history. If Gervais actually 100% meant what he tweeted then I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong and he is indeed a shit stain.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Yeah, as someone that recently (last 4 months) realised they're trans, I am not looking for everyone to support me, but if you don't, just shut the fuck up. I already am suicidal most days because of it all, I don't need hate directed towards me when I am a good person, I just happen to have gender dysphoria, I didn't mean to be like this, I wish I wasn't. But I don't deserve hate. So yeah, if you don't support us, cool, whatever, but just shut the fuck up about it.

Just so you know, you're valid. :)

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
That tweet was in reply to a similarly toned one from Jarvis Dupont. I read it as satire, hence my comment before, knowing Dupont's twitter history. If Gervais actually 100% meant what he tweeted then I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong and he is indeed a shit stain.
In the context of Gervais' other tweets and jokes, I don't see how there can be any doubt that he 100 % meant it.

Bending backwards to find excuses for him feels like bending backwards to try to explain how PewDiePie holds no racially problematic views, in the face of overwhelming evidence of the opposite.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Satire isn't satire if you're just 100% reposting hate speech.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Transphobia kills. I don't care if Gervais is just doing it for laughs, if he's truly opposed to the existence of trans people or if there's some other asinine reason he might have for being the vile individual he unceasingly proves himself to be. All I do care about are the people who have been and will continue to be hurt by the sludge he churns out, as well as by the people emboldened by it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You've ignored the two times it's been made clear for you though.

Gervais repeatedly makes transphobic jokes, supports TERFs, joins in when discussions around them pop up and holds TERF views himself. I'm not sure why you think it's acceptable to come in and hand-wave and attempt to downplay transphobia while telling trans people that the person that has mocked and demeaned them for years isn't actually a bad person and it's just comedy.

Oct 25, 2017
He's literally been doing this for years at this point that's a weird fucking bit to keep doing for years if you don't actually have a problem with trans people.

And even if it was 'I'm going to repeatedly insult and deny the existence of individuals of a minority group that has a elevated suicide risk" is not some commendable example of transgressive comedy.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
It's not just Mumsnet. There's an entire subreddit (GenderCritical or Gender_Critical I forget) basically dedicated to transphobia.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Satire for fucking who? Yeah it's in a similar tone because they're both making disgusting offensive jokes out *our* expense. His "satire" isn't making fun of Jarvis Dupont, the mockery is all on the trans community.

How many god damn times does he have to keep doing the same transphobic shit and backing up TERFs before people stop fucking excusing it? Y'all did this for JK Rowling and look where we are, Gervais has been even more blatant and vitriolic.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For fucks sakes. He's tweet transphobic shit daily for years. I can't believe there people like you still jumping through hoops for the guy.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah... Let's hope you stay banned.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn there was a time when JK Rowling was praised for the stuff she tweeted out. Now it's all transphobic stuff. Did something change, or was it just that we hadn't seen those her views in that area yet?

EDIT: I guess I should have read this page before I posted in it.

Last edited:

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are TERFS automatically transphobic? Why isn't the term simply TRF, transphobic radical feminists. I'm confused why it specifies trans exclusionary instead.

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like we could just repeat the conversation above since the article doesn't bring anything new to light.

No but it is interesting to me that the story got this far. I expected it to get no further than the Gawker sites. I have no belief that they will feel any negatives due to this but I can only hope that the extra attention that was gained from a couple of throwaway attempts to preach to their TERF choirs would serve as a deterrent for other people who are not quite as secure in their fanbases.