• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I am continually floored by the unique prevalence of TERFdom in the UK. I've had a lot of discussions about it and listened to a lot of talks about it and it just blows my mind how entrenched transphobia is among otherwise progressive circles (not that Rowling is - but her fans tend to be). There is nothing more disgusting to me than institutions and movements meant to resist prejudice exercising prejudice of their own.

Caricatures like JK Rowling are disgraceful. I can only hope that such a high profile gesture of idiocy forces an education and confrontation among people who either don't know better or have been avoiding the truth about this brand of politics. I hope people continue to distance themselves from her and her once-powerful brand identity continues to suffer.

I know there's always lots of giggling over that 4chan post about Harry Potter and centrism and there has been lots of analysis over the wack politics of the Harry Potter narratives, but I swear that we are in an era where we can aptly describe such a thing as "Harry Potter Politics": The politics of unaffected centrists who blissfully reinforce the status quo but otherwise believe themselves to be heroic. It's just so distinct.

Harry literally when he has all the skills in the world to be a stable, nurturing, inspiring, Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher instead becomes a Magic Cop.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Is it so hard to be talented, rich and NOT a fucking bigot? Thank god we have people like Mark Hamill.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
"How is it transphobic? Phobia is a FEAR!"

That last one's interesting to me since I just recently came across that, but apparently that's a common conservative talking point? Regardless, even if we were to succumb to the lowest depths of semantic obtuseness and accept THAT, have we suddenly forgotten all the bad-faith "argh trans people molest kids in bathrooms!!!"? Or transitioning is abuse? (And hey, while I'm at it, how about pedophilia being equated with homosexuality?)
Very common. I have heard it used in regards to homophobia since the late 90s at least. It's basically "the card says moops" from the Alt-Right playbook. In other words, they know that homophobia doesn't simply mean "fear," but you can't prove that they know that since you can't read minds, and they can just argue those semantics rather than the actual argument which has nothing to do with what the word actually "technically" means.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The tsunami of shit unleashed on Vox's Twitter threads -- aside from being an excellent exercise for my block button -- had all the hit-classics:

"It's just a different opinion!"
"Freedom of speech!"
"You're being racist by calling out bigotry in other countries!"
"DUR WOMEN CAN'T BE MEN"
"IT'S BIOLOGY FACTS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS"
"How is it transphobic? Phobia is a FEAR!"

That last one's interesting to me since I just recently came across that, but apparently that's a common conservative talking point? Regardless, even if we were to succumb to the lowest depths of semantic obtuseness and accept THAT, have we suddenly forgotten all the bad-faith "argh trans people molest kids in bathrooms!!!"? Or transitioning is abuse? (And hey, while I'm at it, how about pedophilia being equated with homosexuality?)

Remember that we are talking about feminists who usually use "terf is a slur" for reasons like "we don't exclude trans people, we accept trans men in our women only marchs"

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I know there's always lots of giggling over that 4chan post about Harry Potter and centrism and there has been lots of analysis over the wack politics of the Harry Potter narratives, but I swear that we are in an era where we can aptly describe such a thing as "Harry Potter Politics": The politics of unaffected centrists who blissfully reinforce the status quo but otherwise believe themselves to be heroic. It's just so distinct.
Hey remember that time when Hermione taking a stand against FUCKING SLAVERY was treated as a joke?

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I think the core themes and ideas are pretty stupid and a lot of the politics in there are dumb. However, the hunger to position Harry Potter as some centrist manifesto seems like such a reach to me. You have to ignore wide swathes of what happens in the book to get to this place.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Welp one of my fav authors is a TERF

unknown.png

Nov 27, 2019
I'm super fortunate that of the smattering of public figures I admire, none of them have exposed themselves as terrible people to my knowledge.

Then again, maybe they just don't use Twitter enough to let their asses show.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe the reason all these """""materialists""""" say Biology 101 so much is because that's the highest level of science education they got

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
This should be so fucking simple. Trans rights are human rights. Trans women are women. Feminism includes all women. All TERFs are assholes. I still enjoy Harry Potter, but I'm never doing anything that might result in J.K. Rowling or any of these other sacks of wet shit earning another penny, ever again.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Calling someone who denies trans identity trans-exclusive is abusive! Misgendering the trans community is just stating facts!

Every fucking TERF is the same damn self-centred moron incapable of any introspection into their behaviour when called out, instead to feel attacked for being called exactly what they are arguing to be - trans-exclusive.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Calling someone who denies trans identity trans-exclusive is abusive! Misgendering the trans community is just stating facts!

Every fucking TERF is the same damn self-centred moron incapable of any introspection into their behaviour when called out, instead to feel attacked for being called exactly what they are arguing to be - trans-exclusive.
I mean that's the life story of bigots right. Forever oppressed.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The guy who created ALTERED CARBON is a terf?

Like the tv show about literaly changing bodies....
Yeah Takesh eveni spends time in a woman's body in the books and it's not weirdly written or anything, it's so fucking weird. That's why it caught me so off guard. He even has a series with amazing lgbt chars.

Feels so bad.

He created the books, the show is a horrible adaptation.

Nov 1, 2017
I mean that's the life story of bigots right. Forever oppressed.
I've had this happen so many times when it comes to calling out racism/bigotry.

Them: obviously racist rant
Me: That's messed up you think like that.
Them: snowflake or other unoriginal and weak insult
Me: Cool and you're a bigot
Them: how dare you and a tearful speech of how they once held the door for someone of whichever group they were disparaging so they can't be.

I hope that she experiences some repercussions from this as well as that Richard asshole mentioned above.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps they did not create the term, but it was popularized a few years back when they tried self-identifying as TERFs as though it was a positive thing, before it was turned around on them. Now they're crying that it's a slur.

Welp one of my fav authors is a TERF

unknown.png

Wow - I looked him up and he's the author of Altered Carbon. Also British.
Having only seen the Netflix series, I wouldn't have expected the author of a series about people that can have their consciousness transferred into new bodies to be transphobic.
It's been almost two years now though, so I don't recall if there were any gender changes in the story.

what are you talking about, Rowling is a massive Labour supporter and regularly donates millions to their party!
Maybe so, but she could still be emboldened in her transphobia by the election result.
Unfortunately there are many left-leaning people who may be in favor of supporting good social policies, but supporting trans people is a step too far.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Having only seen the Netflix series, I wouldn't have expected the author of a series about people that can have their consciousness transferred into new bodies to be transphobic.
I can. In his mind your mind getting transferred to the body of the opposite gender means you have the sex of said gender so you're not trans.

Their ideologies are more focused on the sexual bits being real and not, as they see it, massacred.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
User Banned (1 month): concern trolling, long history of similar behavior
Maybe so, but she could still be emboldened in her transphobia by the election result.
Unfortunately there are many left-leaning people who may be in favor of supporting good social policies, but supporting trans people is a step too far.

Again ridiculous. Rowling has been a disgraceful transphobe for years, this is nothing we didn't already know and has nothing whatsoever to do with politics - you are using it just to suit your agenda.

Terfs can come from both sides of the political spectrum. All are ignorant, awful people.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Another known turd has wandered into the current TERF circlejerk.

Last edited:

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
what are you talking about, Rowling is a massive Labour supporter and regularly donates millions to their party!

She said absolutely nothing in the election. The only thing she has done for Labour in the last 4 years is wreck.

She couldn't bother to send a tweet during the election, but she sure has time for transphobia.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The two weirdest things about this:

1. JK Rowling - an amazingly progressive person in so many ways - and formerly a credit to the nation - has this appalling blindspot.
2. The person she's defending is making scientifically indefensible claims using science as the appeal to authority.

It's so weird. Like, just admit what you mean: "I don't like it and I don't think it's important enough to be included in my thing"

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thought this was established for a while, hence why Lindsay Ellis made those bad tweets about it we made a thread over.
I dunno, dude's a dipshit either way and his continued career is the only evidence anyone needs for the nonexistence of god
It's been known for awhile before that, but some people here still fawn over him and his "jokes" are often excused as being only that. So I'm going to highlight the piece of shit he is when he goes beyond that so it's without doubt for people browsing.

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
Sometimes I really wish never to have learned who wrote stuff I liked as a child

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. JK Rowling - an amazingly progressive person in so many ways - and formerly a credit to the nation - has this appalling blindspot.
2. The person she's defending is making scientifically indefensible claims using science as the appeal to authority.
Friendly reminder that JK Rowling wrote a huge plot line where everyone laughs at Hermione for trying to end slavery, and all of the progressive elements of her books coincidentally don't appear in the books

#2 isn't that weird since it's what all bigots do. "Race realists" and all

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland

It's so weird. Like, just admit what you mean: "I don't like it and I don't think it's important enough to be included in my thing"
Feminism for wealthy middle aged Brits pretty much came to a halt a few of decade back. This is what happens when you disregard intersectionality.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

Is she? Her books are full of dodgy examples, which maybe wouldn't be such a problem if she didn't constantly double down on them and make up crap that wasn't really there.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that JK Rowling wrote a huge plot line where everyone laughs at Hermione for trying to end slavery, and all of the progressive elements of her books coincidentally don't appear in the books
I mean, the villains of the books are Wizard Hitler and the Ku Klux Klan.

I don't think that's a defense of Rowling, but they've certainly got some progressive themes.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah JK Rowling is only "amazingly progressive" in the same way that Joss Whedon was seen as a feminist icon in the 90s.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Again ridiculous. Rowling has been a disgraceful transphobe for years, this is nothing we didn't already know and has nothing whatsoever to do with politics - you are using it just to suit your agenda.
Terfs can come from both sides of the political spectrum. All are ignorant, awful people.
She has been obviously transphobic for years now if you were paying attention, but as I said earlier, she has often walked back what she said, or it has been things such as liking transphobic tweets or following transphobic people on twitter.
This is the first time I can think of her being so blatant about it.
Maybe the election result had nothing to do with it, and she just felt like being honest about it now for some other reason.
But from the reactions I've seen to this tweet, it seems like this is the first time many people have realized she's a TERF.

I can. In his mind your mind getting transferred to the body of the opposite gender means you have the sex of said gender so you're not trans.
Their ideologies are more focused on the sexual bits being real and not, as they see it, massacred.
Yeah, I suppose I can see how they might reach that conclusion.
I would have expected an author of such a series to have considered things like "what if a male consciousness was put in a female body" or vice-versa, and think about what that means, instead of "well I guess they're a girl now".

Another turd has wandered into the TERF circlejerk.

That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. He's been making transphobic jokes for years.
Don't go and read the comments unless you want to be depressed by seeing lots of support for these awful views.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the villains of the books are Wizard Hitler and the Ku Klux Klan.

I don't think that's a defense of Rowling, but they've certainly got some progressive themes.
For sure. It's very middle of the road. Remember a few years ago it wasn't taking a stand to say Nazis and the KKK are bad lol

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ricky Gervais already wandered into it a long time ago. He's been making transphobic jokes for a long time now, and by jokes i mean he's just repeated the same "i identify as an attack helicopter" joke over and over.
Apparently I should have been more clear in saying he's wandered into this current circlejerk.
I am abundantly aware of his history.