• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Hamill's was a mistake, at best, or ignorance of what it's actually about, at worst.

I don't think he's the sort to back Rowling here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that Mark, like some people in this thread said happened to them, saw Rowling's tweet out of context and thought she was promoting women being able to talk about sex without being fired, as in the physical act of sex, not realizing the transphobic context.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only good 4chan post strikes again!

BiO6DlG.jpg
I'm like 90% sure this was a /leftypol/ post so you can't credit it to 4chan

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Of all of the people out there, I'm definitely giving Mark Hamill the benefit of the doubt. Her tweet out of context can sound supportive of something good

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
What a garbage human being. Thank satan i never read or got in to the whole Harry Potter thing (just speaking for myself, not condemning those that did of course). I just feel bad for lgbtq youth/adults that used her material for escapism; hopefully they can separate the art from the artist even if she denies their existence. Ugh it pisses me off just writing that.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Of all of the people out there, I'm definitely giving Mark Hamill the benefit of the doubt. Her tweet out of context can sound supportive of something good

I don't think there is anything out of context from her tweet.

Even without knowing about the court case and judge ruling, I knew exactly what her tweet is going on about. Just because he likes anti-Trump stuff and sometimes progressive concepts doesn't preclude him for having backwards opinions on certain other issues.

But whatever it may be, I hope that - sure, it was an accident, or he was, I don't know drunk and didn't know what he was liking. But who knows. I guess we'll see if it becomes a habit with him.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is anything out of context from her tweet.

Even without knowing about the court case and judge ruling, I knew exactly what her tweet is going on about. Just because he likes anti-Trump stuff and sometimes progressive concepts doesn't preclude him for having backwards opinions on certain other issues.
Multiple people here said they saw the tweet earlier and didn't think anything of it until seeing this thread.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well, it's nice to finally have confirmation.
No skirting around it anymore, she's officially a TERF.

Why are people so concerned about someone else's sex or gender that they go nuclear over it? Let people be themselves, dammit.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
To anyone wanting to give Hamill the BOTD here, this is how some felt about Rowling until her TERF support became more explicit while others have known she was dodgy for literal years.

Mark isn't an idiot, he can click on why JK Rowling is trending and see it's not for good reason. Right now, JK Rowling is the 4th Worldwide trend on twitter.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Considering how many Tweets he likes I don't think it's unfair to give him the benefit of doubt given his history. For example.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Oh Mark no please no. No no no no no no no. I post that right as I see the above. Ok I think maybe he "liked" without understanding because in this other tweet^ he is loud and clear in his Trans support

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
This thread reminded me I still haven't got around to watching Fantastic Beasts 2 yet. Now I guess that's one film I'll never be watching, fuck this woman.

Also I really hope Mark just missed the context of this tweet, because this would break my heart.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Keep in mind people can be shitty allies. A few years ago I would have been like "yeah there's gender and sex and the difference matters." It's possible Mark thinks this way even now.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Unfortunate but no sense spitballing too hard over Mark in this instance considering prior support. More than enough people out and out in support of Rowling in this current chapter of bullshit.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
He's saying people should give Mark the benefit of the doubt over liking Rowling's tweet due to the tweet in his post.

Ohhhhhh right ok completely missed that, Mark normally posts some pretty progressive stuff hope the is a one off fuck up and not anything more....My heart was going to be crushed it hes an outright *TERF*.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
To anyone wanting to give Hamill the BOTD here, this is how some felt about Rowling until her TERF support became more explicit while others have known she was dodgy for literal years.

Mark isn't an idiot, he can click on why JK Rowling is trending and see it's not for good reason. Right now, JK Rowling is the 4th Worldwide trend on twitter.

I was one of the people giving Rowling the benefit of the doubt and I was wrong for doing so.

The situation isn't at all the same with Mark because he has a long history that we can view.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Had no idea what the Maya story was about reading Rowling's tweet the first time and assumed she was talking about a woman (Maya) being fired because she talked about sex at work. Would have probably liked the tweet too.

Then the day goes on, and you suddenly realize what the tweet was and you go "unlike" it, I guess? Or you just forget you liked it because you like a shit-ton of tweets every day.

Apparently, considering his history it's highly unlikely he liked it because he denies trans people's existence. Posts here seem to support that.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the people giving Rowling the benefit of the doubt and I was wrong for doing so.

The situation isn't at all the same with Mark because he has a long history that we can view.

You do realise people can be pro trans but also hold shitty views on trans issues? He has liked JK's transphobic shit before.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
It's a parody.

People need to stop posting this stuff in serious threads without a disclaimer, it always derails things.

Didn't think I'd have to make that edit because apparently people don't pay enough attention to what I was answering to in my post, but in any case, I added an edit explaining the joke (always a fun thing to have to explain jokes, gotta love that)! Let's hope it'll make things clear enough.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Has Rowling said any good thing on twitter at all in the past few years

smh

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind people can be shitty allies. A few years ago I would have been like "yeah there's gender and sex and the difference matters." It's possible Mark thinks this way even now.
Sure, but that he's explicitly not a TERF given his prior direct support of trans people. Idk why he would like this tweet though, shit is odd.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not really. He still liked a transphobic tweet... he has still liked another transphobic tweet today. Nowhere did I say he was transphobic, I am saying guy is either naive or a lil sketchy.

I'd need to see the old tweet you're referring to -- or at least an article or previous proof -- to begin to make any judgment. Given how quickly people jumped on this like of a tweet, I'm sure there's evidence of it somewhere.

Definitely willing to take it into consideration if you find a previous article on your claim or something.

Until then, this seems to be a single case of liking a tweet that could very easily be taken out of context while also going against his previous public comments.

So we should really hold back on "Mark Hamill might be a sketchy TERF" for the moment and put the pitchforks down.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
You do realise people can be pro trans but also hold shitty views on trans issues? He has liked JK's transphobic shit before.

Like my old manager who spoke about how much they supported trans people but also advocated not treating trans kids with puberty blockers until they were over 18 as "their body has not even finished growing yet".

images

People do seem to forget that even Glinner has trans women followers on Twitter. The closest equivalent to a trans equivalent of uncle toms, I suppose.

People can and do say pro trans things whilst only taking that support as far as it doesn't interfere with cis people's ability to shit on trans people in the name of "protecting society".

Even Piers Morgan has said pro trans things sometimes, like when he argued with a doctor who wouldn't refer to trans people by their gender. He is still a transphobic shit who compares gender dysphoria to penguin dysphoria on a weekly basis.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's a frustrating tweet because if you only read the first half and casually go by it's not as obvious just how patronizing it is.

"Yes, fine, dress how you want, but like fuck if we're going to tolerate that shit in public" is the subtext.