• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Hardtimes are fast.

(apologies if this was posted already)

"As a feminist, it is important to me to acknowledge sex as a reality," Rowling explained. "Your born sex and body is absolutely the metric by which you should be judged as a person. You can't just change some important part of your backstory years after the fact. That would be ridiculous."
More at the link:
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/pottermore-update-requires-picture-of-genitals-before-confirming-gender/

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like this is a surprise, she was blatantly transphobic in one of her non-Harry Potter books.
Twitter user @ellieisalright sites transphobia written into Rowling's book, The Silkworm, written under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith in 2014. This is the second book in a series of crime dramas featuring the soldier protagonist, Cormoran Strike (whatta name). In this scene, Strike is attacked by a trans woman named Pippa. Pippa follows Strike and attempts to stab him, and subsequently become trapped in Stike's office. After Pippa is forced to hand over her license, her trans status is brought to light and her visible adams apple is as well, along with the mention of her hands being jammed in her pockets. Pippa tries to escape several times, prompting Cormoran to say, "If you go for that door one more fucking time I'm calling the police and I'll testify and be glad to watch you go down for attempted murder and it wont be fun for you inside, Pippa … Not pre-op."

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Umm... acceptance of poc not being in a school with white people? Then JK saying the spiders were poc.. then the centaurs... then saying there a different school for poc. Making the bankers racist stereotypes of Jewish people... etc etc.

Yeah, Harry Potter is pretty bad, to be frank. It has a warped worldview that could only come from a TERF, so it checks out!

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
That's disappointing to see.

Could someone ELI5 the argument the lady on trial is making when it comes to women's rights? I'm having a difficult time understanding what it has to do with anything in the context of her message.

She lost her contract because of her refusal to recognise the legal rights of people who had transitioned. She has stated she will refer to a person by the sex she considered appropriate even if it violated the dignity and/or created an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating, or offensive enviroment.

tl;dr she would misgender you, you'd correct her, and she would continue to misgender you.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
For the longest time I always felt vaguely silly/ashamed for having not read any of her books or watched their movie adaptations, but the more this woman opens her mouth the better I feel about not supporting her, and the happier I am that my son tired of her books after the second installment.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
The only good 4chan post strikes again!

BiO6DlG.jpg
lay-down.gif

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck. I saw that tweet this morning and didn't know the context, I thought she was just saying a woman was fired for talking openly about sex. This is MASSIVELY disappointing.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What is going on Britain? Why is your white feminism so uniquely transphobic?

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is going Britain? Why is your white feminism so uniquely transphobic?

Second-wave feminism (which was transphobic) was accepted in the UK much earlier than it was in the US, which meant transphobic views were mainstreamed and accepted for decades whereas the US only really started having these conversations recently, at which point trans-positive views are already ingrained a lot better than they ever were in the UK thanks to the internet, social media, etc.

In other words, ironically, the US being ass-backwards about everything may have resulted in the country being less transphobic over time.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anything coming out of HP after the original books has been varying levels of trash anyway. Nothing of value is lost by avoiding it from now on.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

"Your born sex and body is absolutely the metric by which you should be judged as a person.
Ok, even taking out all the TERF shit and looking at this sentence in a vacuum, what the fuck is this fucking sentence? Is she fucking alt-right?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I could not hate JK Rowling more and I'm fucking astonished that there are still people in this world who don't realize that sex =/= gender. But what would you expect from people who think it's fun to make other peoples' lives a living hell. I'm cis but few things make me more angry than transphobes and TERFs. I've been angry about the tweets and shit I've seen from right-wing pieces of shit all day.

Fuck JK Rowling.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Man, imagine thinking you are so fucking smart you just disregard the entire scientific fields views on trans individuals. I hate this fucking trend.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even surprised since I remember she followed a terf on Twitter and then apologised. It's amazing how terfs will cry about being oppressed when their entire goal is to oppress trans people.

Fuck terfs.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rowling has always managed to be more implicitly racist and problematic than Tolkien so no surprises here. She needs to be cancelled forever and ever for the writting hack that she is.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It was answered earlier, but TERF isn't something people identify as, so much is it's what people are calling feminists that are transphobes, essentially.

They think sexism is based on your biological sex but not gender at all, so if you were born with male genitalia but you identify as a woman and are thus trans, TERFs consider you a man still and disregard your gender. If you suffer from sexism because you are a woman, they won't defend you because they still consider you a man and not a woman.

It's vile and beyond disgusting.
What are you talking about? If people didnt identify as terfs we wouldnt have the term. Claiming otherwise just helps them spread misinformation its a "slur"

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, we all knew she is a pos, so this is just another piece to add on to the steaming pile that is JK Rowling.

Absurdeity

Jun 2, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Defending transphobia, hostility towards other members
i'm confused, what's wrong with her tweet?

edit: that book excerpt is some yikes

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I was going to say I'm never going to watch another Fantastic Beast movie, but after the godawful last one I wasn't going to anyways.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
almost refreshing to see her drop all pretense to show herself as the transphobe we all knew she was. almost.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
This kind of mindset is baffling to me.

I took a gender studies class a few years back in university because I wanted to educate myself on these issues (I was peak shithead in those days, fresh out of high school). The key takeaway was intersectionality, reinforced almost every single week, described as a crucial element of being a feminist.

I just don't understand how you can condemn the inequalities one oppressed group faces and then turn around and dismiss another oppressed group experiencing the same, if not worse problems. How is the irony not extremely apparent there?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand how you can condemn the inequalities one oppressed group faces and then turn around and dismiss another oppressed group experiencing the same, if not worse problems. How is the irony not extremely apparent there?
A basic need to "punch down".

Happens all the time - it can be light hearted, like comedians making fun of a type of job or a place, but it can go to likes of, well, TERFs.

There has to be someone below us in the percepted "chain" to direct mockery/hate/injustice on.