• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It is no surprise to anyone who has followed JK's 'brand' of 'feminism' that she would do this, but yes, at least now it is hard for people to deny that JK is transphobic.

Great news about the court case though.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck of Rowling. Go back to writing your shitty lore for Harry Potter and making shit movie scripts.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
We all knew it. But what makes me sad (one of the things, anyway) is that plenty of other transphobic assholes will take this to mean they're right, as though JKR knows anything.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Mask off time I suppose. The irony is she views what she's doing now as "bravery".

Also Emma Watson sucks too, just not for being anti-trans. She should pay her taxes IMO. Real heads know what I'm talking about.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of HP fans seem to consider themselves very progressive, so it's going to be interesting if they do the normal fan thing here and defend/ignore this or actually turn on her. I have my hunch but we'll see.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I always wonder what these "Progressives" think when they notice the only people supporting this sort of behavior are right wingers and sock puppet liberal accounts.

Fuck this TERF.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WastefulGroundedLiger-size_restricted.gif

A lot of HP fans seem to consider themselves very progressive, so it's going to be interesting if they do the normal fan thing here and defend/ignore this or actually turn on her. I have my hunch but we'll see.
The fanbase shits on he all the time for stuff like this.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

You can still enjoy the work while saying her views are incorrect. Hopefully in time she is able to see that she is wrong and change her view.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Oh for goodness sake...

How dumb do you have to be to write a book where the main conflict is about discrimination, then air out blatantly discriminatory views yourself?

Seriously, does she have any self-awareness whatsoever?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly expected her to try and steer away from this stuff for the sake of her public image, but instead she's diving headlong into it

very bold

Nov 23, 2017
The majority of people who read her post will discover that to them, it's not good enough to stop supporting the Harry Potter brand. Trust me, I know. I know people who gleeful eat Chick-Fil-A despite knowing what they do.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of people who read her post will discover that to them, it's not good enough to stop supporting the Harry Potter brand. Trust me, I know. I know people who gleeful eat Chick-Fil-A despite knowing what they do.
I can't unbuy the 7 Harry Potter books, but thankfully she hasn't produced anything worth buying since, so it's not exactly hard to not give her more money.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
So she has gone official Terf then, I remember that she followed a Terf on twitter and liked some tweets but now she has made a statement like that there is no way people should excuse her now, though I imagine they will.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Utterly terrible of her.

And I thought we'd all agreed to call them Feminism-Appropriating Reactionary Transphobes?

Nov 23, 2017
I can't unbuy the 7 Harry Potter books, but thankfully she hasn't produced anything worth buying since, so it's not exactly hard to not give her more money.
Yeah, I'm glad her content sucks now but that's not the point I'm trying to make here. People, especially in relation to LGBT+ issues, often pick entertainment/fun/whatever else over the feelings of us.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Jk rowling has a really wierd thing where her fans are significantly more progressive than her and that ironically she helped make her fans so progressive in the first place. Like, in your formative years you get really into this book and movie series that is explicitly about how racism is bad and how we should all respect eachother regardless of our differences. Has a positive impact right?
But then JK herself really isn't remotely progressive beyond thinking racism is bad. That is the peak of her progressiveness. I'm pretty convinced that the whole "dumbledore is gay" thing was just her seeing how progressive her fan base is and thinking "here these idiots will eat this shit up, Dumbledore is gay!"

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
It's hard to feign surprise at this point. It was always just a matter of time before she went full TERF.

Newsflash kids: JK Rowling is trash. Read Ursula K. Le Guin instead.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the charge always "TERF" and not just "transphobic"? Is this just British style?

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Imagine if we lived in a world where Earthsea was as popular as Harry Potter is in ours.

Ah, one can dream...
That would be wonderful. Instead our world made a TERF a multi-millionaire. I wonder if would have been different if we had known in like 1999.

Of course, back then she would have probably had to have been worse than a TERF, like full blown anti-LGBT+

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
what is it with all these British authors?
Have you seen the British media? If not, don't.

The US Guardian staff basically wrote an editorial yelling at the UK Guardian to be less of a transphobic shit paper, and that's the Guardian for fuck's sake.

Anyway I heard when TERFs need to use the loo they just shit where they're standing and say "look what a trans person made me do."

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm gonna kinda feel uncomfortable when I'm at the Harry Potter lands/rides at Universal now.