• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
JK Rowling is returning the Ripple of Hope award given to her last year by the Robert F Kennedy Human Rights (RFKHR) organisation after its president, Kennedy's daughter, criticised her views on transgender issues.

...earlier this month, Kerry Kennedy, a lawyer and president of RFKHR, put out a statement describing her "dismay" over what "deeply troubling transphobic tweets and statements" made by the Harry Potter author.

"The science is clear and conclusive: sex is not binary," wrote Kennedy, adding that she had spoken with the author to express her "profound disappointment that she has chosen to use her remarkable gifts to create a narrative that diminishes the identity of trans and nonbinary people, undermining the validity and integrity of the entire transgender community".

"Because of the very serious conflict of views between myself and RFKHR, I feel I have no option but to return the Ripple of Hope award bestowed upon me last year," Rowling wrote. "I am deeply saddened that RFKHR has felt compelled to adopt this stance, but no award or honour, no matter my admiration for the person for whom it was named, means so much to me that I would forfeit the right to follow the dictates of my own conscience."

www.theguardian.com

JK Rowling returns human rights award to group that denounces her trans views

Author ‘follows my conscience’ after head of Robert F Kennedy Human Rights group says her views are transphobic

UPDATE: She had the award taken away but is trying to change the narrative.
Might be worth an update

She didn't return it. She had it taken away from her.

Kristopher Sharp's twitter is protected, so I can't find the tweet and confirm it, but figured it's worth bringing this to people's attention.

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Good that Kennedy stood up for trans rights, and man has JK Rowling self-destructed her reputation over the past year.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Already being super fucking rich wasn't enough I guess. Just have to take the extra steps to being an actual horrible person.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Already being super fucking rich wasn't enough I guess. Just have to take the extra steps to being an actual horrible person.

its like rich people get bored of having everything they can ever have so they try to take away human rights from minorities.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly shocked that Voldemort didn't win in the end considering how closely JK aligns with his views. I wonder if she writes secret TERF deatheater power fantasies in her spare time.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck JK Rowling and her continued anti-Trans stance. Glad that RFKHR denounced her for her views.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
She waited until she was rich af and her stuff super popular before starting to show her true colors.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
"I am deeply saddened that RFKHR has felt compelled to adopt this stance, but no award or honour, no matter my admiration for the person for whom it was named, means so much to me that I would forfeit the right to follow the dictates of my own conscience."

Or, in simple terms: "Your little statue can't tell me how to TERF"

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
She's so fucking stubborn. Maybe if all these people you admire are telling you something then you should listen to them and not bullshit Medium articles, Joanne.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
They should just say they don't want it and won't accept delivery of it. Don't let her be persecuted in her own mind and her terf friends' minds - it's what they want.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wish Warner would cut all ties with that piece of trash.

I'm looking forward to the day when someone finally takes her down for good.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Imagine being this rich, famous, and successful and still having the world's biggest persecution complex. Fuck her.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao when you give back a gd Human Rights Award and yet somehow still think you're in the right.

Can she please just fuck off for the rest of eternity already???

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you told me years ago that I would end up hating her even more than my Christian friends who thought her writing was literally satanic, I wouldn't have believed you. How things change.

They should've just taken it from her. Now she gets to take "the high road" .

Not that I'm opposed to that, but the outcome wouldn't have been much different. She would just play the victim instead of acting like she's doing something noble. Either way, her fellow bigots will pat her on the back and she gets to feed her persecution complex.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
For founding a charity committed to ending the institutionalisation of children worldwide as well as numerous charitable contributions towards causes including the treatment of multiple sclerosis, anorexia and numerous other things.
Ah I see. Pity she couldn't extend that empathy to other marginalized groups

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Is there a spell for making people pay attention to you?

Christ lady, there's a pandemic and black people are getting murdered in the streets by American cops, and you think this is the right backdrop to once every few weeks pop up and go "HEY REMEMBER ME AUTHOR OF BELOVED CHILDREN'S SERIES DID YOU ALSO KNOW THAT I AM A TERF (WHICH IS A SLUR)"

Dec 2, 2017
Originally I was kinda sad Rowling's views meant I had to stop reading and consuming Harry Potter and cormorant strike, but the more we see she's too far gone, the better it feels to let it go.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
am i out of touch? no, its the human rights organizations that are wrong

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
She couldn't even return the award with grace. She went out of her way to make herself look even more like a piece of shit. These people can't help themselves.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If she had just kept to herself, the world would've one day remembered her as someone who created a beloved story.
But she's working so hard to become "author that turned out to hold horrible views, can you believe we used to love her stuff?".
WHICH IS NOT EVEN A UNIQUE POSITION! There's loads of those!

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
When you hand back an actual human rights award for conflicting views, I feel like it'd be a good time to reconsider your beliefs on the subject...

Sadly not surprising, but it sucks hard that people will go that far with their bigotry.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Handing back an award given to you by a human rights charity should probably make you reconsider things

or just continue to be a hateful garbage person.

I think we all know which way she's going

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
They should've just taken it from her. Now she gets to take "the high road" .
What?

It's an actual, physical award.

8fdcd410-e924-11ea-b5f6-1f092f1a5d00

How do you suggest they should have "just taken it from her"?

Break into the literal castle she that lives in?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine having such a feeling of righteousness arguing against the rights of fellow people. Arguing AGAINST human rights. You have to think it's better for everybody if our trans family just didn't exist. It's just such a nonsensical, horrific view. Hateful, for no good reason. She wouldn't even actually benefit in any way. She doesn't benefit monetarily from her hate, so there's not even greed to explain it. She's just driven by her own feelings of righteousness that trans people existing is somehow bad.

Carrying that kind of hate in her heart is pitiful.