• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that was proven... months ago.

Fucking TERF.
They had another TERF (Also proof that just because you have the title of Professor, doesn't mean you're not a bigot. Although what a professor of philosophy has to do with transgender issues is something I'd love to ask the BBC) on Radio 5 Live defending this trash this morning.

Danced around trying to sound like they're not transphobic as hell, saying "well we keep men out of women only groups not because of the majority of men being abusers but because of the minority so keeping transgender people out is a safeguard against that minority" as if it wasn't utterly repugnant to say it and the presenters just didn't challenge the bigotry *at all*.

The UK is so far behind in transgender issues it's not even funny.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
They had another TERF (Also proof that just because you have the title of Professor, doesn't mean you're not a bigot. Although what a professor of philosophy has to do with transgender issues is something I'd love to ask the BBC) on Radio 5 Live defending this trash this morning.

Danced around trying to sound like they're not transphobic as hell, saying "well we keep men out of women only groups not because of the majority of men being abusers but because of the minority so keeping transgender people out is a safeguard against that minority" as if it wasn't utterly repugnant to say it and the presenters just didn't challenge the bigotry *at all*.

The UK is so far behind in transgender issues it's not even funny.

Which philosophy professor was it? I teach Philosophy to A Level students and like to keep up to date with transgender issues to try and combat some of the bigoted views kids have often got elsewhere and to help students with any issues feel they have someone to talk to (I work in an all boys school and some of the staff are a tad reactionary).

Would like to know in case they talk about going to the University the Professor works at!

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Which philosophy professor was it? I teach Philosophy to A Level students and like to keep up to date with transgender issues to try and combat some of the bigoted views kids have often got elsewhere and to help students with any issues feel they have someone to talk to (I work in an all boys school and some of the staff are a tad reactionary).

Would like to know in case they talk about going to the University the Professor works at!
Ah I didn't catch their name but if you have access to BBC Sounds it was on approx 8am this morning.

Oct 28, 2017
Someone posted this in the other thread, this is a neat and lengthy takedown of her essay.

Thanks for posting this, great thread.

Looking into it, the essay really is pretty insiduous. Without knowing a lot about the topic, "rapid onset gender dysphoria" sounds like an accepted scientific term, when it's not, and Lisa Littman's paper (who's painted by JKR as a hero fighting against misinformation for saying it's just a "social contagion") is clearly based on biased methodology. She only asked parents, and sourced the surveys only through 3 anti-trans websites? Anyone can see the results can't be objective.

Also, JKR sure is lucky to have friends who know her series so well

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
So yall read this shit, shrug it away and then say you can play the new sparkly Harry Potter game with no worries? Is that were your empathy ends? She even fucking denied how transphobia causes the high number of suicides within the trans community.

Performative woke people are the worst.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
So yall read this shit, shrugg it away and then say you can play the new sparkly Harry Potter game with no worries? Is that were your empathy ends? She even fucking denied how transphobia causes the high number of suicides within the trans community.

Performative woke people are the worst.
Personally as I stated in that thread, I won't never be comsuming any media she created or is associated with again. Separating art from the artist in this case is bullshit.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
As a trans woman I'm pretty angry about all this jk needs to shut the fuck up and actually think about the people she hurts on a daily basis. But she probably won't and will continue to be an idiot who's only desire is to go"but actually" about bathrooms when nobody is even wanting her opinion on it.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
As someone who has never read the HP books and only see the first film I don't really have much knowledge of her but seriously the only times I do hear about her is when she's slagging off trans people and I find that just a bizarre hill to choose to die on. Just leave people be.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I didn't see she doubled down.

What a horrible person.

I can only hope this doesn't rub on her young fans. Shameful from JK.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Btw full disclosure since I don't have a bio, I'm a cis gay man but after everything went down with the trans community here I changed my icon to the current background. Won't ever be changing it

Just wanted to say that I'm doing the same.

On a related note; my partner is trans and yesterday he broke down in tears after reading some of the horrific shit she wrote. We have been HP fans since the 90s and it breaks both of our hearts that this thing we have loved since childhood was created by someone so closed minded and cruel. She is pure scum, horrible horrible woman.

Oct 30, 2017
Professor of philosophy should be the right person to dismiss this shit.

Oppression is a big part of political philosophy, which has justice as its foundation, i.e. it's best thought of as a part of, or partner to, moral philosophy. They should be able to point out that it is being denied belonging as a man or a woman that is what threatens safety. They should be able to point out the bullshit of 'lifeboat politics' that says we need to let these people drown because there are only so many seats to go around. Fuck off with that shit when it is the very actions of these TERFs that contribute to the need for support in the first place.

A professor of philosophy should do what I have always seen in our department, which is them calmly and systematically dismantling bullshit by going straight past the rhetoric and knocking down every single piece of 'support'.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Professor of philosophy should be the right person to dismiss this shit.

Oppression is a big part of political philosophy, which has justice as its foundation, i.e. it's best thought of as a part of, or partner to, moral philosophy. They should be able to point out that it is being denied belonging as a man or a woman that is what threatens safety. They should be able to point out the bullshit of 'lifeboat politics' that says we need to let these people drown because there are only so many seats to go around. Fuck off with that shit when it is the very actions of these TERFs that contribute to the need for support in the first place.

A professor of philosophy should do what I have always seen in our department, which is them calmly and systematically dismantling bullshit by going straight past the rhetoric and knocking down every single piece of 'support'.
Ok, fair comments, but they took that idea and went "but actually".

And the breakfast presenters just let her spout transphobic hate and get deferential treatment because she was a professor.

Utterly disgraceful for the BBC to book someone against trans rights to defend someone who is transphobic.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
You mean my avatar? I'm so sorry but I just did this 10 minutes ago and I cannot remember how lol. I just clicked stuff and guessed and got lucky. I am absolutely terrible with photo editing stuff.

Yeah - I have no idea where to even start!

I was also wondering would it look like I'm standing against such rights with the way my avatar is posed, which is something I really don't want to do - or am I overthinking this?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for allowing people to speak their minds. Even people like Rowling who spews out bullshit.

I'd prefer they STFU but I'm also fine with learning about who they really are so I don't have to support them anymore.

Monkfish

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (permanent); concern trolling, equating criticism of transphobia with misogyny
resetera - hates trans-phobia
resetera - loves misogyny

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
i legit dont even understand the argument here
It's not an argument, it's a manipulation tactic. He's using the parasocial relationship that audiences have with Rowling's characters to pressure them into supporting Rowling's stance.

If you like and approve of Harry Potter fighting against the evils of bigotry, then you obviously approve of Rowling's statements. And you do like Harry Potter, don't you? That small but brave little boy you read about at night as a child even after your parents told you to go to bed? You wouldn't abandon Harry Potter, would you? So stand with Rowling then.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Please let me know what you think because it set me right off but you appear a far cooler head than me heh.

Just listened to it and it's bad. If any of this comes off as wrong or I use terms that are incorrect on my part please feel free to correct me - I'm a cisgender straight white male so I know my experience is vastly different to people going through such issues and, although I do try and read up on it I'm always willing to be corrected regarding anything I say.

Firstly - and most obviously - was the lack of equal representation. There was nobody arguing from the perspective of trans men or women and pointing out the flaws in their argument. This was then doubled down with the final comment from a listener who said something along the lines of 'they didn't even understand what the prof was talking about'. I'm sure that person meant no harm and there would be a lot of listeners for BBC Radio 5 who aren't aware of these issues - so why didn't BBC use the time to go here's a link to a website you can visit that explains them - or even better have a trans person talk about it and give links. The final point simply allows a lot of people to go 'well, I don't really understand it either but that's okay, isn't it.'

The Professor's argument is also something I would have laughed at as an undergraduate, so given she's the Professor I'm pretty shocked. The argument regarding the toilet was:
'Minority groups need safe spaces to ensure their safety'
'To ensure the safety of one minority we need to make it illegal for another - smaller - minority to enter such spaces'
Those two premises pretty much contradict each other - it's a fallacy that should be spotted straight away.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Just listened to it and it's bad. If any of this comes off as wrong or I use terms that are incorrect on my part please feel free to correct me - I'm a cisgender straight white male so I know my experience is vastly different to people going through such issues and, although I do try and read up on it I'm always willing to be corrected regarding anything I say.

Firstly - and most obviously - was the lack of equal representation. There was nobody arguing from the perspective of trans men or women and pointing out the flaws in their argument. This was then doubled down with the final comment from a listener who said something along the lines of 'they didn't even understand what the prof was talking about'. I'm sure that person meant no harm and there would be a lot of listeners for BBC Radio 5 who aren't aware of these issues - so why didn't BBC use the time to go here's a link to a website you can visit that explains them - or even better have a trans person talk about it and give links. The final point simply allows a lot of people to go 'well, I don't really understand it either but that's okay, isn't it.'

The Professor's argument is also something I would have laughed at as an undergraduate, so given she's the Professor I'm pretty shocked. The argument regarding the toilet was:
'Minority groups need safe spaces to ensure their safety'
'To ensure the safety of one minority we need to make it illegal for another - smaller - minority to enter such spaces'
Those two premises pretty much contradict each other - it's a fallacy that should be spotted straight away.

Basically my thoughts but thanks for the sanity check.

That was shite work by the BBC there. May well put a complaint in for discrimination.

Yeah - I have no idea where to even start!

I was also wondering would it look like I'm standing against such rights with the way my avatar is posed, which is something I really don't want to do - or am I overthinking this?
You can get help with your avatar here:
www.resetera.com

Forum Avatar Request Thread

I noticed we didn't have one of these threads yet, so let the avatar fiddling commence! I dont know what the specifics for avatars are here so as far as guidelines this is all i got: #1. Be Nice: Just like it sounds. #2. Be Specific: Its hard to help when you don't have anything to follow...

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Probably the most disappointing celebrity moment for me so far. She is a great ally on so many topics, but then completely fucks it up with this bullshit. Can't believe she doubled down on this hateful rhetoric. Especially the things she went through should make her more compassionate for trans struggles, not the opposite

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
the best outcome now is someone finding a dead body and it's found out they were the ones who wrote the first 5 books

i'm still surprised people can watch the films without falling asleep tho

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
You can get help with your avatar here:
www.resetera.com

Forum Avatar Request Thread

I noticed we didn't have one of these threads yet, so let the avatar fiddling commence! I dont know what the specifics for avatars are here so as far as guidelines this is all i got: #1. Be Nice: Just like it sounds. #2. Be Specific: Its hard to help when you don't have anything to follow...
Thanks - have put a request in!

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, fair comments, but they took that idea and went "but actually".

And the breakfast presenters just let her spout transphobic hate and get deferential treatment because she was a professor.

Utterly disgraceful for the BBC to book someone against trans rights to defend someone who is transphobic.
Completely agree.

Being a philosophy professor doesn't make you morally superior or mean that your opinion is worth anything.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Firstly, fuck TERFs and fuck Rowling. Now, my thoughts about the whole Harry Potter mess go like this-

It's like someone was offering me chocolates from a box. And boy were these chocolates delicious.
But then they tell me that the box with chocolates also contained cat shit. Well fuck.
And then they offer me another chocolate. I'm gagging, feeling nauseous, and I refuse.
"But I thought you found those chocolates delicious?" they say.
They were. But now I wanna vomit them all out. And I really don't want any more.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017