• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I read this yesterday he made the right choice for himself. I can't imagine being locked into Apple for the things that he is known to do. When you're already massively rich and an artist, freedom is better than the money I'm sure.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That'd be 3 years where he'd be unable to work on anything else but for Apple who has no theatre distribution
A goddamn life time in hollywood
I mean, this is the new reality for streaming services. If you don't think Disney is doing the same, I have a bridge...

Netflix is doing it too (Ryan Murphy, Obamas). Unlike the other two, they actually have an extensive stable of critically acclaimed programming already established though.
Disney is coming in from the opposite angel. Disney has warehouse full of widgets that people want, they just needed trucks to move them. Apple has trucks but no Warehouse and no idea of the widgets they make will be wanted. Disney's problem is easily solvable by a check, Apple isn't.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Can't blame him. At this point Apple TV looks like a dumpster fire, which probably explains why they knew they had to give it away for a year. Getting JJ would have helped their image problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Disney is coming in from the opposite angel. Disney has warehouse full of widgets that people want, they just needed trucks to move them. Apple has trucks but no Warehouse and no idea of the widgets they make will be wanted. Disney's problem is easily solvable by a check, Apple isn't.

True. Disney is well positioned to attract creative talent based on that strength alone. Gives them a massive leg up on Apple.

Apple's timing here is a little questionable for me. They've attracted some decent content creators and I don't doubt that they'll eventually build up a service that is competitive with the others but their arrival to the industry feels haphazard and rushed. Think they could have thought it through better considering they have to build a catalog from the ground up and have very little to show at the moment.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I mean, this is the new reality for streaming services. If you don't think Disney is doing the same, I have a bridge...

Netflix is doing it too (Ryan Murphy, Obamas). Unlike the other two, they actually have an extensive stable of critically acclaimed programming already established though.

My point being companies like Disney have an endless catalog of IPs to fall back on.

Apple isn't starting from the same place.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes at Apple if that presentation news is true. Apple just ain't a multimedia company.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the deal he signed had points or performance bonuses, then the lifetime value would be much higher going to a house with stronger IPs. He may have locked down 250 mil with a chance at billions.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So their services don't?

If you don't count iCloud storage or Apple Music, sure.

Hopefully we're not talking about their streaming service that hasn't even been opened to the public yet. Sure it could fail, but it's way too early to tell.

I mean Apple isn't producing music on Apple music.

The reality is Apple is trying to get in on a competitive market with nothing but cash

I think there is reason to be pessimistic about their chances. Streaming services come and go all the time

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I can see existing IP being a big big draw for someone like Abrams. Overall it's easy to see why one offer is more enticing.

Apple just trying to buy its way into content creation lol

Good luck

Uh...that's how it works. Netflix knew this, most streaming services have to make these deals.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

disney has a ton of ip's they can use to create new content. netflix has been building its library for years now and has hit shows. apple is gonna have to spend billions to get started and who knows if any of it will be popular enough to get people to subscribe.

Oct 27, 2017
Apple is serious about TV and they got the cash.

I used to think they would get destroyed in the streaming wars, but this just shows how much they want it
I think this more shows that they don't really have the experience or know-how to do this properly right now. Throwing money at a problem only takes you so far. Here Apple is like a rich guy who opens a restaurant in a competitive part of town. They can throw money around, try to get talented chefs to work there but they don't have experience actually running a restaurant and they have to make their restaurant worth going to when people are already attached to the competition.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I can see existing IP being a big big draw for someone like Abrams. Overall it's easy to see why one offer is more enticing.

Uh...that's how it works. Netflix knew this, most streaming services have to make these deals.

Are you aware of when Netflix started its service?

How many other competitors were offering that type of streaming service when Netflix started? They were pioneers in this business at the time and people kept thinking they'd eventually flop yet they are still here, and we've seen them constantly adapt as more competition showed up and they realized they had to find ways to create their own content.

As more and more try to offer these services they are going to need content to sell people. All Apple really has so far is that a lot of people have their hardware and a boat load of money with no content. As seen here, it's not as easy as, "throw money at wall and hope it sticks." Netflix was in a pressure situation-- Apple isn't exactly riding or dying on this. Apple TV could flop (it won't) and it wouldn't make a dent in the company.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely the right move. Who knows how Apples media content is going to turn out and J.J. is locked in to a failing platform. Not like he needs the money anyway.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is trying to be today's Netflix without the grow a userbase with thirsd party films and TV and then as you lose those create your own years of work

Are you aware of when Netflix started its service?

How many other competitors were offering that type of streaming service when Netflix started? They were pioneers in this business at the time and people kept thinking they'd eventually flop yet they are still here, and we've seen them constantly adapt as more competition showed up and they realized they had to find ways to create their own content.

we aren't in that time any more. Netflix is losing that third party content. So they go after content creators with big deals. Criticizing a streaming service that is starting now for trying to make deals with content creators doesn't make any sense.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
we aren't in that time any more. Criticizing a streaming service that is starting now for trying to make deals with content creators doesn't make any sense

It's the type of deals they are making.

It was probably a bad one to get someone to turn down $500 million.

So yeah, it certainly makes sense to criticize their business move here.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
It's the type of deals they are making.

It was probably a bad one to get someone to turn down $500 million.

So yeah, it certainly makes sense to criticize their business move here.

you were criticizing trying to spend money on creators to start a streaming service.

which is crticism that doesn't make sense today. it's what even the established ones do

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
you were criticizing trying to spend money on creators to start a streaming service.

which is crticism that doesn't make sense today. it's what even the established ones do

I stand by that. None of those established ones got to where they were by just doing that. It was more than just spending money on creators. Even with Amazon it took time for it to take off.

They were in the this lane long before Apple and I believe they understand it better. This goes for establishing deals.

People thought because Apple had all this money they would be able to easily establish and integrate themselves into this space. But that might not be the case. .

You keep mentioning this point but it seems you don't want to recognize the context that comes with it.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but it's half a billion dollars lol. i guess it doesn't matter when you're that rich already but sitting in stasis for three years to more than double your net worth seems tempting

This is for Abram's production company. It doesn't all go into his pocket. He's already super rich and will be even more rich with this deal but it isn't $250 million (or $500 million) straight into his private bank account. And considering the amount of content he is already selling to studios he may have actually lost money by going 100% exclusive to the Apple ecosystem.

I would have bet on J.J. signing with Disney, but you're telling me he went with WB?!

Abrams does a lot of adult targeted shows and movies that would not fit with Disney or Disney+.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I stand by that. None of those established ones got to where they were by just doing that. It was more than just spending money on creators. Even with Amazon it took time for it to take off.

They were in the this lane long before Apple and I believe they understand it better. This goes for establishing deals.

People thought because Apple had all this money they would be able to easily establish and integrate themselves into this space. But that might not be the case. .

You keep mentioning this point but it seems you don't want to recognize the context that comes with it.

i think even the established ones believe that's what they have to do now to survive. Netflix doesn't sign the GoT creators or Murphy or any other of the number of big deals without thinking it's vital.

Apple having money doesn't mean it's 'easy'. Hell, it may fail entirely I don't know. But the point is this is exactly what they and everyone else has to do at this point. Big money for big name content creators. Established, struggling, new...they all see this as the tactic to use. Hence, criticizing Apple for doing it coming in isn't very logical.

Clearly the pricing and the new purchase incentives means Apple sees their place in hardware and devices as a way to try and counter their not being as established in this spot as the big services. They may be right, they may be wrong, I don't know. But making big offers for big content creators is absolutely one of the ways any streaming service new or old is going to go about this now.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I think it is a commendable decision to turn down the larger sums of money with Apple. I do find it strange how much of a brand JJ Abrams is these days. He has great skill at building hype for projects but has he actually made a film that could be consider a classic yet? Or even great?

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it is a commendable decision to turn down the larger sums of money with Apple. I do find it strange how much of a brand JJ Abrams is these days. He has great skill at building hype for projects but has he actually made a film that could be consider a classic yet? Or even great?
Depends who you ask, but everything he does seems to make money.

Oct 25, 2017
Does he even need that high a budget? You can make great movies with much less
That isn't a budget, its a fee to get him and his production company working for them.
So if he made Green Lantern or Superman he'd still get like 200million + budget for those movies completely separate(including typical director/producer pay and whatever bonus he potentially worked out).

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
i think even the established ones believe that's what they have to do now to survive. Netflix doesn't sign the GoT creators or Murphy or any other of the number of big deals without thinking it's vital.

Apple having money doesn't mean it's 'easy'. Hell, it may fail entirely I don't know. But the point is this is exactly what they and everyone else has to do at this point. Big money for big name content creators. Established, struggling, new...they all see this as the tactic to use. Hence, criticizing Apple for doing it coming in isn't very logical.

Clearly the pricing and the new purchase incentives means Apple sees their place in hardware and devices as a way to try and counter their not being as established in this spot as the big services. They may be right, they may be wrong, I don't know. But making big offers for big content creators is absolutely one of the ways any streaming service new or old is going to go about this now.

Well, I agree for the most part.

I am mostly in the camp that wonders why Apple did take more initiative in these streaming wars sooner.

Apple Music is different in where iTunes was the dominant platform in digital music for ages-- so there is less resistance in front of them starting a platform like Apple Music. When it comes to these platforms, the writing was on the wall that this would be the future ages ago. They can't just wait around like Disney, they do not own that much content and would have to rely on buying projects en masse. Disney has a tremendous amount of capital to work with and contributed greatly to the success of many of these same platforms that will be competing with Apple.

Like now there are so many options on other platforms that I think Apple will need some more incentives besides money.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
He'd have to finish something himself to be on Apple's platform. With WB, he can create mysterious pilots and movies and abandon them after 90 minutes they air like everything he does.

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense.

I feel bad for all the talented artists stuck in the streaming video ghettos of Hulu, Amazon Prime and now Apple.

Much better to be paid less but be playing in the major leagues.