• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Crossing Eden brought up TFA when I was talking abotu TLJ, and then you accuse me of bouncing back and forth.
I brought up TFA because you seemed to blatantly ignore Finn's characterization. You're literally viewing him in the way Rose views him at the beginning of TLJ. Except unlike her you didn't realize what he was attempting to do.

didnt lucas already said the jedis weren't celibate at all?

just to not make bonds
We literally saw the story of Obi-wan bonding and losing the love of his life. It would be so redundant to have Rey be a Kenobi or related to any bloodline.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But accepting the mission is not running away from the conflict and doesn't specifically involve saving Rey.
So you think being motivated only if it involves saving a specific person who you want to convince to run away with you doesn't=coward? He didn't care about the cause. Only Rey, who he wanted to leave with him, his main goal was literally "I rescue and then get the girl."

FINN: I'm sorry. This fleet is doomed... If my friend comes back to it, she's doomed too. I've gotta get this... I've gotta get this beacon very far away from here, then she'll find me and be safe.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Love it to bits. But TLJ took so many risks and made so many bold choices that elevate the franchise so much that I need to bump it right to the front.

I just dont think slapping around long time fans for 2.5 hours, and making fun of them at every turn made for an awesome SW experience. I never felt more gutted than walking out of that theater that night. It was 180 degrees of what I felt like walking out of TFA, wiping tears form my eyes, and getting right back in line.

Jan 3, 2018
So you think being motivated only if it involves saving a specific person who you want to convince to run away with you doesn't=coward?

You said Finn was an asshole who's main motivation in life was running away from the conflict unless it specifically involved saving Rey.

Therefore, the Canto Bight mission is not something Finn would do.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I can dream:

images
Me too

CeBQ7BTXIAUCUTL.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He did it because he thought it would save Rey. He LITERALLY states that. Oml

He's not an "asshole", he's clearly a good person, he just isn't 100% down for the cause, but lets be real, this is not real a compelling story arc. All the important people in his life have pledged their life to the Resistance basically and the First Order all want him dead, so it's already in his very clear best interest that the the First Order be defeated.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Damn that man can talk. I don't think I've ever read such a ... wordy, interview. I guess they must have transcribed it directly.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at how the OT was actually put together from the Making Of books, it becomes more clear that the OT was largely a fluke, not some huge master plan as well.

Lucas did not have Vader being Luke's father as the crux of the story planned out, the Emperor was not supposed to die in VI, the end of ROTJ was supposed to happen in a lava cave with ghost Yoda and Ben showing up, the search for Luke's sister was supposed to be a sequel trilogy, etc. etc. etc.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He's not an "asshole", he's clearly a good person, he just isn't 100% down for the cause, but lets be real, this is not real a compelling story arc.
For you. Seeing Finn go from being the butt of jokes to one of the most important resistance members thanks to self reflection and being shown what he'd be saving is absolutely a compelling arc.

All the important people in his life have pledged their life to the Resistance basically and the First Order all want him dead, so it's already in his very clear best interest that the the First Order be defeated.
He was literally in the middle of running away. He would've gone to the outer rim.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just dont think slapping around long time fans for 2.5 hours, and making fun of them at every turn made for an awesome SW experience. I never felt more gutted than walking out of that theater that night. It was 180 degrees of what I felt like walking out of TFA, wiping tears form my eyes, and getting right back in line.

It seems to imply myself and other people who enojoyed TLJ aren't long time fans. As a long time fan I left TFA feeling I've watched that before.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is if Disney had interfered with VIII and drawn strict guidelines on what couldn't have been done, then I guarantee the internet warriors would be screaming:

"Fucking Disney! Corporate cookie cutters that don't give a director/writer any freedom to do anything! Where's the soul?!!", lol.
So basically what they do regarding Marvel movies and the original Lord/Miller version of Solo? The goalposts move faster than I can find them when it comes to people complaining about Disney

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
I hope they bring back Han Solo and Luke....yeah well, *insert random character* saved Han and nursed him back to health and he has been on Kasshyyk and Luke fading was just a metaphor on life and he actually was a force projection the whole movie and that force projection died but he is alive on Dagobah chillin with Anakins ghost.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For you. Seeing Finn go from being the butt of jokes to one of the most important resistance members thanks to self reflection and being shown what he'd be saving is absolutely a compelling arc.

He was literally in the middle of running away. He would've gone to the outer rim.

Yeah but whether he ideologically agrees isn't that big of a deal, he has a huge vested interest in seeing the First Order lose ... probably a lot more than many other members of the Resistance to begin with in that he'll be a hunted man for the rest of this days if they win out.

Really, lol, Finn has more reason that a lot of others to hope the Resistance wins.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but can you have a character like Rey without a surname long term? It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue or has that impact reveal, link if there was one, scene entry. It's Rey.

Makes me think there will be more to her history perhaps, I dunno, weird tired thought.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but can you have a character like Rey without a surname long term? It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue or has that impact reveal, link if there was one, scene entry. It's Rey.

Makes me think there will be more to her history perhaps, I dunno, weird tired thought.
IMO we're absolutely getting Rey Skywalker in IX one way or another

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but whether he ideologically agrees isn't that big of a deal, he has a huge vested interest in seeing the First Order lose
He was too afraid to fight in the first place. He was literally on his way out, disappearing, out of sight of mind. Ofc he had the skills and knowledge necessary to fight, but he didn't see himself as one of the people who need to save the day.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to
The whiplash from this trilogy is going to be awful.

VII: Remember every you loved? Here it is again.
VIII: Okay, now that you remembered it, it's gone, it's done. It's never coming back.
IX: We lied, it's all back.

This nails it pretty well.
Cue the "fan re-cut" that gets rid of 90% of Ep 8. when splicing them together.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Chewbacca? Yoda?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading between the lines, it does not sound like JJ was super stoked with the direction Rian took things in Ep. 8.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean none of the Star Wars films are actually paragons of writing.

They're super basic.

I think the Prequel Trilogy was the most ambitious at that front since it tried turning what was essentially an escapist fantasy(the OT) into a shakespearean play (the PT) and bombed the execution and then TFA and TLJ reverted everything back to the ANH's status quo in order to get back to that escapist hero/Arthurian story but edgier.

[Conceptually, Luke is the Arthurean hero. Anakin is an Anti-Luke who makes all the opposite decisions that Luke makes and a satire of the Chosen One (which tends to fly over people's heads).]

[Rey is just derivative Luke but a girl and more of a nobody that's looking to find her place in the world and Ben Solo is derivative ROTS Anakin but successful and never turns into a cyborg .]

But in order to get there, the ST sacrificed Han, Leia and Luke. The ST is built on the idea that Han, Leia and Luke grew up to become failures. Han and Leia were failures as parents and had a failed marriage and Luke was a bad uncle and a failure as a mentor who decided to cowardly flee to go die somewhere rather than face his mistakes

Yeah, it could make for a compelling story but a lot of people don't want their childhood heroes treated like that not to mention that the execution has to be done really well (which many argue was not) because you're messing with iconic characters.

That's one of the major reasons that is such a big online hatedom about it. (The other is alt-right reasons)

Many ST Star Wars haters wouldn't be half as fanatical if the ST was 100 years in the future and didn't touch the OT characters but Disney or Lucasarts or whoever wanted an inherent buy-in to the next set of Star Wars movies so they brought back Luke, Leia and Han only to die.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If Finn's an asshole who's main motivation in life was running away from the conflict unless it specifically involved saving Rey, he wouldn't have gone on the Canto Bight mission because that doesn't involve being an asshole, running away from the conflict, or saving Rey.

Why are you so bad at watching movies?

Are you intentionally posting in bad-faith?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has believed the opposite for a long time I would have to agree

People are reading way too much into this. Abrams has never really been in a position to bring a conclusion to something he stepped away from. Every time he moved on from a series that he created, another show runner brought it across the finish line. He's just not a guy that comes back. Never has been. Episode 9 is unique in pretty much his entire career and of course it brought him new challenges in having to wrap up a story that he wasn't part of the entire way through.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They're super basic.

I think the Prequel Trilogy was the most ambitious at that front since it tried turning what was essentially an escapist fantasy(the OT) into a shakespearean play (the PT) and bombed the execution and then TFA and TLJ reverted everything back to the ANH's status quo in order to get back to that escapist hero/Arthurian story but edgier.

[Conceptually, Luke is the Arthurean hero. Anakin is an Anti-Luke who makes all the opposite decisions that Luke makes and a satire of the Chosen One (which tends to fly over people's heads).]

[Rey is just derivative Luke but a girl and more of a nobody that's looking to find her place in the world and Ben Solo is derivative ROTS Anakin but successful and never turns into a cyborg .]

But in order to get there, the ST sacrificed Han, Leia and Luke. The ST is built on the idea that Han, Leia and Luke grew up to become failures. Han and Leia were failures as parents and had a failed marriage and Luke was a bad uncle and a failure as a mentor who decided to cowardly flee to go die somewhere rather than face his mistakes

Yeah, it could make for a compelling story but a lot of people don't want their childhood heroes treated like that not to mention that the execution has to be done really well (which many argue was not) because you're messing with iconic characters.

That's one of the major reasons that is such a big online hatedom about it. (The other is alt-right reasons)

Many ST Star Wars haters wouldn't be half as fanatical if the ST was 100 years in the future and didn't touch the OT characters but Disney or Lucasarts or whoever wanted an inherent buy-in to the next set of Star Wars movies so they brought back Luke, Leia and Han only to die.

come the fuck on

if disney didnt brought back the original trio the fans would still complain.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They're super basic.

Empire is really the only Star Wars film that's really "great" if you really want to break it down.

And that's 40 years ago. The original is a fun film but its importance is more on how it revolutionized filmmaking at that time, not the actual quality of the film itself.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy to think that Colin Trevorrow was almost the one in JJ's position left with the responsibility of tying it all together with no planning for how that would happen or what they were even trying to build to.

In that sense, JJ may be a step up, but he's still probably not the right person for the job. I mean, at least he had some ideas he had thought about for Episode 7, but he thought about them with no intention of where they'd conclude because that wasn't his job, nor Johnson's job with 8. And now JJ is brought back in after Trevorrow was fired, which was still pretty late in the process (even if it was before they started filming), but Abrams is saying here that nothing was really done with that early time when Trevorrow was on the project. They are bringing Abrams on with no time to iterate or work on versions of a new story, because Abrams and Terrio basically have to start from scratch and nail it in the first go since they were crunched for time in having to start production and filming in a set time frame.

They could technically pull off a miracle here, but the odds seems so stacked against this getting the best shot it could get for what it's trying to do. I'm shocked that even with the shake ups on 9 and Solo that there were no delays. Just the reshoots on Rogue One should have been a sign that maybe the strict deadline of one Star Wars film a year might not be something they were ready to pull off. We've seen other studios struggle under those expectations of cranking out movies for their franchises and setting dates and sequel expectations without the work being done behind the scenes to make sure people are all on the same page before they confirm a date, confirm what film they are doing, and start hiring people to make that film. Rogue One and Solo seem like they had the most ideas thrown around before hand and they still hit major struggles, which just seems like it shouldn't have happened. How do you have a vision for a Solo movie for years and then hire on Lord and Miller who seemingly had a vision completely at odds with that original vision and you don't realize there is something wrong until the movie is basically already filmed?

I just don't know what to think about Star Wars going forward. I'm already half checked out as a fan and part of that is because of the Star Wars fans, part of that is the movies themselves (which have been pretty hit or miss for me at the end of the day, even if I can generally say I've enjoyed them all in some way), but I just don't have a lot of faith in their vision or goals of this franchise. I just can't understand it or get behind it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met.

So Rian just winged this shit. Didn't even talk to jj about it? Wtf? And where was Kennedy when this was happening? Why the hell wasn't she ensuring continuity? They've been able to do it with countless of marvel movies but tackling a trilogy is too much? Give me a break. JJ did great work. He was let down by Johnson and Kennedy.

I still believe he can turn this around there. Tlj was terrible, but I believe in jj

Jan 3, 2018
Dude, read the quote in Eden's post. It specifically involved saving Rey. It was literally stated by Finn in the movie.
He did it because he thought it would save Rey. He LITERALLY states that. Oml

a) If Finn only cares about saving Rey, why did he leave the beacon with Poe? Poe didn't ask for it. Finn should have brought it with him and buried it on Canto Bight. If she follows it back during his mission, she's doomed.

2) If Rey is his only care, you think that it's within Finn's character to leave Poe to die?

OdYv55d.gif

He's still wearing his jacket, for cry eye. :*(

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Rian just winged this shit. Didn't even talk to jj about it? Wtf? And where was Kennedy when this was happening? Why the hell wasn't she ensuring continuity? They've been able to do it with countless of marvel movies but tackling a trilogy is too much? Give me a break. JJ did great work. He was let down by Johnson and Kennedy.

I still believe he can turn this around there. Tlj was terrible, but I believe in jj

You had to start writing TLJ while TFA was filming if you want to make the release date, simple as that.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
People are reading way too much into this. Abrams has never really been in a position to bring a conclusion to something he stepped away from. Every time he moved on from a series that he created, another show runner brought it across the finish line. He's just not a guy that comes back. Never has been. Episode 9 is unique in pretty much his entire career and of course it brought him new challenges in having to wrap up a story that he wasn't part of the entire way through.
"I had some gut instincts about where the story would have gone. But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met. So he was taking the thing in another direction." "The lack of complete structure for thing." I definitely get a sense of a bit of frustration there. He's being very polite about it. Even when he read Rian's script a couple of years ago he most likely had no idea he'd be continuing from it. Writing a conclusion really is a unique situation for JJ, though.

The good news is that he's apparently found a satisfying way to conclude it all, which I'm excited about.