• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Speaking for myself, I was underwhelmed that a mainline episodic Star Wars movie still had a character working on their arc from the first movie. One that I felt had a satisfying conclusion - he no longer ran away from the First Order. Would be like if Rey still wanted to go back to Jakku despite everything that happened to her.

I just had high hopes where they'd take Finn's character, and seeing him go from co-lead to C plot was pretty disappointing.
Character Development in TLJ is just a meme. Doesn't actually do much that wasn't already done for Finn or Rey and Poe doesn't have an Arc that makes sense.. He continues to be a dumbass until they need a leader to replace Leia and he does??

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Speaking for myself, I was underwhelmed that a mainline episodic Star Wars movie still had a character working on their arc from the first movie. One that I felt had a satisfying conclusion - he no longer ran away from the First Order. Would be like if Rey still wanted to go back to Jakku despite everything that happened to her.

I just had high hopes where they'd take Finn's character, and seeing him go from co-lead to C plot was pretty disappointing.

But we had to pick up right where we left off. Of course he's still dealing with all of this.

You can criticize the decision to start immediately after TFA, but it many ways the ending of TFA is what caused that.

Rian played the hand he was dealt by JJ to perfection.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Johnson getting that set of movies with more control is the most interested I have been or probably will be in SW. I hope that still happens, personally.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
But we had to pick up right where we left off. Of course he's still dealing with all of this.

You can criticize the decision to start immediately after TFA, but it many ways the ending of TFA is what caused that.

The whole movie didn't need to be immediately after TFA.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
That's gotta rough to hear if you're Rian Johnson, but TLJ did leave a bitter taste for sure.

I still contend that if the movie ended when Kylo offed Snoke and offered his hand to Rey, it would have gone down as one of the greatest Star Wars movies ever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's false! JJ made an outline of the entire trilogy and gave it to Rían but he decided not to use any of it and instead write everything from scratch (expectation subversion!)

JJ has said it as well as Daisy Ridley. Please look it up, you'll find it easily

He's full of shit, and I don't think Daisy actually knows anything about the scriptwriting process for these movies. She's just going by what the known liar said.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's not how hollywood works though. Even Chris Nolan had to basically do a Batman movie for every big movie he wanted to make.

Knives Out was a 40 million dollar movie, he can get those. But doing original 160-200 million dollar movies requires a bit more cooperation.

Knives Out is also going to have like a 3-4x box office to budget multiplier. That's very strong for any budget range. Dude is going to be able to do whatever he wants to next. Financially that's two very successful films in a row and in Hollywood that buys you a lot of leverage.

Chris Nolan was basically "made" after Batman Begins, if not The Dark Knight, he's been able to do whatever he wants since then. He hasn't had to do a Batman movie in a long time to get to do any other project.

Rian Johnson could easily get a 100+ million picture next time out if that's what he wants now.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I caught that edit. You literally popped into that other thread just to say you were bookmarking it for later with a history of shitting on the film, you don't get to call others douchebags.

Difference between talking badly about people and talking ominously about a movie . Also I decided to not be harsh and edit it out and pm him instead because I realized it was a bad idea.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all.

Rian Johnson said it was the best shoot of his life in an interview I heard him give. I believe him.

"Production" is probably the wrong word to use there. A film's actual production can go smoothly, but the opinions of the actors about story decisions are a completely different thing.

But ultimately this isn't some "everyone gets a vote" either. It's the screenwriter's story and everyone else is there in service to bring that to the screen.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Difference between talking badly about people and talking ominously about a movie . Also I was nice and decided to edit it out and pm him instead. Think for a second.
So you calling me a douchebag now? Bro I'm just calling you out. You pray for this movie to fail all day. It's pathetic. You're lucky I don't report people even though this place would be a lot better without people like you.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That reaction by the actors to JJ returning tells you all you need to know. Clearly production on TLJ was a disaster.
Fuck me I hate TLJ takes on this website.
Character Development in TLJ is just a meme. Doesn't actually do much that wasn't already done for Finn or Rey
When does Finn stop caring about only himself and/or Rey in TFA. When does Rey get the childhood trauma of being abandoned by her parents? Can you link those scenes in TFA?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Between JJ, Boyega, and Daisy, it's Daisy that has the most savage take down of Rian Johnson. Literally weeping from joy at the prospect of working with someone else... just... Christ. I feel bad for Rian.
Pretty sure she was talking about the general situation. The movie went a couple of weeks without director or writer.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Chris Terrio is the only writer credited on this movie I believe. J.J. only has a story credit.

EDIT: J.J. is credited as a writer too, my bad.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think about TLJ what you will, but the idea that what JJ left Rian with was some kind of deterministic requirement that TLJ tell the EXACT same story it did is ludicrous. In a world where you can traverse the universe through hyperspace and move a story from point to point quickly, there's no reason that Rian couldn't have taken what was left and told an entirely different (and hopefully more satisfying) story than what we got.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between JJ, Boyega, and Daisy, it's Daisy that has the most savage take down of Rian Johnson. Literally weeping from joy at the prospect of working with someone else... just... Christ. I feel bad for Rian.

I wouldn't weep too much ... Rian Johnson is likely going to get paid $3-$5+ million on his next directing gig and likely has earned enough catchet within Hollywood to be able to work for another 10-12 years at least.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
After watching Rise of Skywalker I'm avoiding all online discussion like the plague. Just gonna go see the movie, enjoy it, absorb its themes personally but outside of discussing it IRL with friends, forget it. Online fan toxicity has been a rabid curse on SW ever since TPM.

I still maintain that I would like to have seen the movie Trevorrow had in mind. Just to see how balls to the wall dumb it would've been.

Bryce Howard cast as a new resistance fighter who fights and runs around in stupid high heel boots in every single scene at Howard's moronic insistence.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Continuing to Anagonize Another User After Previously Being Warned
You were talking to Gunslinger not me and you actively brought shit from another thread to try to call me out. It wasn't related at all.

You were even warned for antagonizing me by the mods.
Why are you not banned for insulting other members?

soulluos

Oct 27, 2017
Not about Collin

Everyone was saying it was going to be Rian and everything, so I was genuinely quite surprised. And was like 'Oh my God!' and I started crying immediately with three people in the office. And they were like, 'What the fuck just happened?'"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Think about TLJ what you will, but the idea that what JJ left Rian with was some kind of deterministic requirement that TLJ tell the EXACT same story it did
Maybe you can answer the following questions then if this is the premise of your argument:
1.When does Finn stop caring about only himself and/or Rey in TFA.Aka, when does his character arc progress past this line:
finn-im-just-here-to-get-rey.jpg

2.When does Rey come to terms with and/or get over the childhood trauma of being abandoned by her parents?

Can you link to those scenes in TFA? The premise of your argument is that the story is the EXACT same story and thus it would mean that these characters moved past these character flaws already in TFA. So by all means, please link to those scenes. 😃

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ is not a perfect film but Abrams has absolutely no room to talk here. His film is responsible for the stagnant worldbuilding with no creativity, a cliffhanger ending that forces a sequel occurring immediately afterwards, multiple "mystery boxes" that must be resolved that even he had no answers for, and various uncreative setups with no resolutions that all need to be paid off, putting Johnson into an impossible position for a follow-up.

These movies were doomed from the moment they decided to rehash the Rebels-vs-Empire conflict and destroy Luke's Jedi Order.

TLJ had by far the smoothest production of any Star Wars film under Disney. That more than anything else is why Kennedy wanted Johnson back.

JJ did not force a direct followup, you absolutely could have done a substantial time skip of years even. You did not need to pick up directly where TFA left off wothRry meeting Luke.

The issue is that middle films are exactly where you want to be adding planks to and fleshing out your story.

This was something that was already needed more so than usual coming off of TFA.

And instead of doing that, TLJ ended up doing the exact opposite. Worse yet it was a poorly charted deconstruction that then only tepidly walked back from the implications of its own method, leaving the setup flattened from where it was before.

It also doubled down on bad elements from TFA such and poor worldbuilding, issues with characters such as Finn, and did nothing to move the actual story forward. Not only that but all of the B plots were either unecessary or retreads of TFA with at best insufficient gradation to justify largely repeating from the prior film.

TFA is not perfect, but the mystery boxes weren't going nowhere, things like Rey's parentage were clearly setup to go in a certain direction and TLJ doesn't spend remotely enough time on 'your parents we're actually nobodies'to make that anything other than a take backsies.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

Did it though? He wrote/directed the movie, if he wanted to start off the movie with a time jump he could've.

They could've time jumped to Rey training with Luke, or time jumped to Rey being back and the movie slowly revealing to you that Luke turned her down etc...

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely love star wars season. JJ speaking the truth about subverting for the sake of subverting.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think she's lying. I think she's repeating what a known liar told her.

Here's what Kathleen Kennedy says they did during TFA :

Kathleen Kennedy Addresses Criticisms Of A Lack Of Pre-Planning For The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy

Kathleen Kennedy: Well, first of all, when we sat down to do Force Awakenswe spent a great deal of time working out all three movies and doing a real deep dive on the previous six and talking about that, understanding the mythology that George [Lucas] had created, bringing in people who had worked on those films, been a part of Lucasfilm. We brought in two or three different writers. There were, what? Eight of us usually sitting in that room and whiteboarding what the possibilities are and looking at character arcs, identifying. Because George had already gone to Harrison [Ford], Carrie [Fisher] and Mark [Hamill] to do the film. So we knew that was a given. That we were bringing them back into the trilogy and we're introducing new characters. So we had a sense of where this was going.

——

This gels with the comments from Daisy Ridley that Abrams (and co, in reality) had outlines for all three films. That 'where it would go' was outlined during TFA.

She also makes clear that that her personal perspective it to leave the final say solely with the directors, which sounds like a bonkers mistake on something like this, and here we are.

It's unlikely that they're all lying together.

Last edited:

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe him. JJ probably read it though and left some fragments in there since Trevorrow is officially getting credit.
ehhh this is probably more of a guild obligation than any sign of Treverrow's actual involvement. if you take a look at, say, the new Star Trek series, every single producer that's ever been attached to it has an EP credit. it's gone through like four showrunners in two seasons and they're all in the opening crawl despite it being pretty much impossible for them to have any actual input in the show at this point

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knives Out, along with his previous work, is certainly an indication of where Rian's talents belong. Franchise films don't suit him at all, especially when he's pigeonholed into working with established characters, arcs, and plot lines.

I'm lukewarm on TLJ and love TFA but here's an odd take: Rian Johnson should have kickstarted this whole sequel trilogy off in the first place if he was to be involved at all.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
First I get great cameos in DC's shows that take me back to my college years and now JJ and crew are shitting on TLJ. This week keeps getting better.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knives Out, along with his previous work, is certainly an indication of where Rian's talents belong. Franchise films don't suit him at all, especially when he's pigeonholed into working with established characters, arcs, and plot lines.

I'm lukewarm on TLJ and love TFA but here's an odd take: Rian Johnson should have kickstarted this whole sequel trilogy off in the first place if he was to be involved at all.

This is a pretty reasonable perspective. Knives Out is a treat, and I don't think RJ is well suited to 'jumping in' on established franchises mid stream at all. That doesn't mean that his own Trilogy can't be good.

That said, his best stories are his own and we can see a pattern of them all being smaller stories. I don't think he's yet adept at juggling 'large scale' narratives.

That's why so much of TLJ forced things into a very static situation (we are... slowwwwwwwwllllyyyy running out of.... fffffuuuueeeel...), it was a lot of busy work and wheel spinning with a ton of 'talking to the audience' exposition. The main focus was something quite small (Rey/Kylo/Luke), and is probably by no coincidence the best parts of the film.

Last edited: