• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't one person or one act at fault for Ben, who ultimately also has to choose his own path. But there were mistakes to go around for pretty much everyone. Even Leia acknowledges this.. "I never should have sent him away.. that's when I lost him."
Yup, I just think it's interesting how Luke puts all of that on himself like that when in reality it was a lot of things that weren't in his control.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
This almost feels like gaslighting considering you commented within 10 posts of the OP making a pretty wild claim that is easily falsifiable based on a quote with no context to what you attached it to

Whatever happened to nuance? In that quote, JJ is clearly praising the movie and offering criticism too. Yet, shit is always turned into 'thrown TLJ under a bus'.
You forgot the faction of people who come into every one of these threads going "See?! This affirms my opinion that TLJ is a garbage fire. Now how do we get KK and RJ to acknowledge this objective fact?!"

"nuance"

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I predict a war coming upon between TLJ defenders after this movie comes out. Whose side will you pick? TLJ defense or ST defense only time will tell....

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
seeing the trailers of ROTS and how much the resistances has grown,

the galaxy didnt give up at all
Because they retconned that ending out with the quickness, because as I said logically there's nowhere else to go but with the FO taking back total control and remaking the Empire. So Abrams retconned that just like, apparently, he's going to retcon Rey's lineage being one of nobodies .
But Rian didn't change anything from what TFA started.... what could Rian could have realistically done to not rehash the OT dynamics when the previous movie already shows us the First Order is a gigantic military force that utterly destroyed 5 planets and The New Republic
Again: I don't say he started it. I said he completed it. He could've had the remnants of the New Republic rise up and start building their own proper army, he could've said that most of the FO's army got destroyed with Starkiller so the NR and FO would've been on equal footing, he could've said that Kylo killed the majority but not all of Luke's students, with the rest going into hiding and Luke & Rey could've gone off to rally them, he could've had Finn not be totally fucking useless, made Poe an idiot, used the Knights of Ren, etc. Instead the Resistance was reduced to one ship, the NR is actually dead (so who the hell is ruling the galaxy now?), the FO apparently has limitless resources despite having LESS territory than the Empire (nominally because the film just treats them as being the Empire), Snoke is killed off and the final boss is a guy Rey has kicked the ass of twice. Imagine if Vader and the Emperor died in a shuttle crash so Boba Fett ends up being the final boss of Return of the Jedi. That's how laughable the idea of Kylo being the final boss is, dude is far too much a loser to be a threat, yet the FO apparently just keeps winning because the good guys are even more incompetent.

Like I keep saying Abrams is the one who got the ball rolling so it's his fault too, but Rian made it his mission to complete the circle and totally reset everything to the ANH status quo. With the way things ended in TLJ, IX should be about Rey and friends collecting Force Kids to hopefully train and defeat the FO sometime in the future. But instead they just retconned everything they could and we're getting something that really just shows how incredibly inept the Disney SW era has been.

Dec 22, 2017
I'd love a complete trilogy with either JJ or RJ in the George Lucas role.

Maybe IX will bring it all together, but I do not like how incongruent the ST has been so far.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see what Rian is going to do with his new Star Wars trilogy

giphy.gif

I'm sure it'll be good. Johnson isn't a bad director, he just didn't understand what his job was. He was only really meant to connect The Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker by getting the characters from where they were to where they needed to be. We've seen a lot of his interviews since The Last Jedi came out and he's always talking about his own perspective, y'know? What he wanted, what he did. He treats The Last Jedi like a standalone movie he has free reign over when really he had a job to do that... he didn't.

I have a lot of faith in him being able to tell his own story from start to finish, although I don't know if a whole trilogy is necessarily a good idea.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yup, I just think it's interesting how Luke puts all of that on himself like that when in reality it was a lot of things that weren't in his control.
Yeah, the messaging in TLJ definitely wasn't "it was all Luke's fault", but that he did fail and he was partially responsible for what happened to Ben.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Lol just when you thought the discourse on TLJ couldn't get any worse. People on Twitter upset about the actors being happy JJ was coming back for the final one 😂

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Am I allowed to like both movies released in this trilogy so far? I like everything set up in TFA and I love TLJ for blowing up everything.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Please tell me HOW can people like this movie? I am really tolerant to new experiences, but TLJ made Star Wars seem like a Comedy show. Who acts like that in the real? Everybody has his/her opinion and I respect that and yours. But for real, do you force yourself to like it or do you like it by yourself? I forced back in 2014 myself that Rebels is good, but couldnt continue more after a few episodes.

the only character in the PT that was so annoying and behaved like from another dimension was Jar Jar, but TLJ? IMO everybody was cringe to the maximum
I'm assuming you were in the washroom when Luke met Yoda in ESB.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
That reaction by the actors to JJ returning tells you all you need to know. Clearly production on TLJ was a disaster.
Production wasn't a disaster. However we do know one of the most important actors involved in the franchise was very unhappy with it. I wouldn't expect any of these young actors to say anything until they were done.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TLJ is not a perfect film but Abrams has absolutely no room to talk here. His film is responsible for the stagnant worldbuilding with no creativity, a cliffhanger ending that forces a sequel occurring immediately afterwards, multiple "mystery boxes" that must be resolved that even he had no answers for, and various uncreative setups with no resolutions that all need to be paid off, putting Johnson into an impossible position for a follow-up.

These movies were doomed from the moment they decided to rehash the Rebels-vs-Empire conflict and destroy Luke's Jedi Order.
All true honestly. They're fun but could have been so much cooler in many ways. Episode 8 was a bit better than 7 though for at least showing something new.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Someone said Last Jedi wasn't about myth but instead metanarrative.

The Last Jedi's central message is about the importance of myth. The end of TLJ ends on hope because even though the resistance is in shatters, the stories of their stand, and Skywalkers final battle and sacrifice, inspires others to join the fight. Evidenced by the final shot of the kid.

That's damn inspirational and made me nearly tear up in the end. Way more fascinating, and ultimately hopeful, then having hope hinge on super talented and gifted people:

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ can be a fantastic stand alone movie and still not be a good middle movie in a trilogy because it just doesn't flow well with the one before it and apparently the one after it.

This is my main criticism of the film. Rian took all the plot threads introduced in TFA and threw all that shit out the window because that's not what he wanted to write about. Then proceeded to setup literally nothing for the next director to build off of. That's how we get shit like undead Palpatine. Cause what else is JJ supposed to do?

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my main criticism of the film. Rian took all the plot threads introduced in TFA and threw all that shit out the window because that's not what he wanted to write about. Then proceeded to setup literally nothing for the next director to build off of. That's how we get shit like undead Palpatine. Cause what else is JJ supposed to do?

It's JJ's fault for setting up a mystery box with no plan or direction in mind. Don't blame RJ for taking what he was given and writting an interesting story around those dangling threads.

TROS did NOT have to be what JJ is doing. The story could have been taken in a million different directions. Bringing back Palpatine is lazy writting that shows how unoriginal JJ is IMO.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Someone said Last Jedi wasn't about myth but instead metanarrative.

The Last Jedi's central message is about the importance of myth. The end of TLJ ends on hope because even though the resistance is in shatters, the stories of their stand, and Skywalkers final battle and sacrifice, inspires others to join the fight. Evidenced by the final shot of the kid.

That's damn inspirational and made me nearly tear up in the end. Way more fascinating, and ultimately hopeful, then having hope hinge on super talented and gifted people:
Well said. I expected heavy loss throughout the movie, that's what's supposed to happen in part 2, but I was constantly shocked at far they took it. From a fleet to just the falcon. So when Rey(?) asks leia "what next. We've lost everything." And leia responds "we have everything we need right here." That gets me.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017

Regardless of someone's take on TLJ, I'm not sure how someone could think there's nowhere left to go with this story after it ended.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
After having read spoilers for Rise of the Skywalker, I foresee discussions being worse for that movie than even The Last Jedi. And what's worse is that there will be no foreseeable movie on the horizon to put the debate to rest, so people will live out the rest of their lives arguing vehemently back and forth over Episode 9 until we all end up in the desert with Slave Knight Gael.

This terrifies me

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA

Rian's script is the most honest SW script since the original trilogy. Everything makes absolute sense for each character based on the 7 movies we have prior. It honestly looks at the set-up and drives down to the most interesting characters, Rey and Kylo.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ is not a perfect film but Abrams has absolutely no room to talk here. His film is responsible for the stagnant worldbuilding with no creativity, a cliffhanger ending that forces a sequel occurring immediately afterwards, multiple "mystery boxes" that must be resolved that even he had no answers for, and various uncreative setups with no resolutions that all need to be paid off, putting Johnson into an impossible position for a follow-up.

These movies were doomed from the moment they decided to rehash the Rebels-vs-Empire conflict and destroy Luke's Jedi Order.

TLJ had by far the smoothest production of any Star Wars film under Disney. That more than anything else is why Kennedy wanted Johnson back.
Making the entire OT meaningless was the worst possible idea yet they did it with TFA. I don't understand how TLJ gets all the hate when TFA exists.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That reads a lot like these three movies together are going to pull apart the messaging within each film and become super sloppy.

I'm sure there are plenty of well reasoned discussion of that to look forward to shortly.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the resistance growing in numbers is a retcon now

seriously if you think that the fucking ninth movie would feature a whopping 12 resistance fighters you are delusional

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Boyega seems like a cool dude but that swipe at Johnson is like "wtf?".

I get he didn't like Finn's arc, but JJ set up Finn as the new Luke in the promotion while making him a comical relief character in the end ("I'm a big deal", space janitor etc).

Johnson should have fixed that, and he didn't, but I don't see how TLJ steered so far away from TFA.

TFA told us Luke went in exile after Kylo went dark side and destroyed his life's work.
Him being against training more people made sense.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's JJ's fault for setting up a mystery box with no plan or direction in mind. Don't blame RJ for taking what he was given and writting an interesting story around those dangling threads.

TROS did NOT have to be what JJ is doing. The story could have been taken in a million different directions. Bringing back Palpatine is lazy writting that shows how unoriginal JJ is IMO.
I mean, at the same time - JJ knew that Episode 9 was the movie that needed to wrap up the ENTIRE Skywalker saga, not just the ST. It could've been that his plan was for Snoke to be the wrap-up villain somehow (I still wonder if Snoke being Plagueis was the original idea and they scrapped it) and wasn't able to do that anymore.