• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Pretty sure she is the love child of Luke and Leia. She even called herself a Skywalker while they smiled at her!

I know these things.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Replace "villain" with "antagonist", then. Even in ANH it's undeniable that Vader is the looming figure, from Obi Wan's first talk with Luke. We aren't introduced to the Empire by a description of Palpatine's past.

Palpatine isn't supposed to be a tragic character like Vader.

He's the personification of the dark side. He's fucking evil and he loves it, that's the appeal of the character.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yup. We can wade in the extended universe weeds but outside his stint as a shady politician he's a nobody. Even the film mentions this with Ren like *Kanye shrug* after being told this boogyman whose haunted generations of skywalkers is back and he needs to be careful by Rey. Ren was already 110% all in on the darkside, what's the Emperor going to do, offer him a chance to refinance his Sithdom? Lol

Well... yes.

Palpatine is the devil constantly offering you to eat the forbidden fruit. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
In the OT you could have made that argument, but in the PT Palpatine absolutely is an active force, albeit continuing to play on people's passions and prejudices.

i actually agree here, Palp was probably one of the best things in the prequels. That said he was also very allegorical on how quickly democracies can fall into authoritarianism as opposed to someone with his own unique motivations and arcs outside of mustache twirling. Think about the discussion we are having about the world's strongmen today, are they uniquely genius evil or just 'Hey, let me give you a safe space fo indulge in these bigoted greedy thoughts'.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine isn't supposed to be a tragic character like Vader.

He's the personification of the dark side. He's fucking evil and he loves it, that's the appeal of the character.

Yes, and "being evil and loving it" is only enough because Vader is given depth. When that kind of character is the main antagonist to your heroes, the story suffers, as we saw in this latest movie.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the great quotes of TROS that will become memes/stay in Internet culture?

"The dead speak!"
"They fly now!"
"You're a Palpatine"
etc.

To be absolutely fair, They Fly Now works because of how insulted Finn looks. Finn is probably thinking "What!?! When did they get jetpacks!?! Where was my jetpack! I was a part of this for most of my life and you're telling me if I waited a few more months I could have had my own jetpack!?! WTF!?!"

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the great quotes of TROS that will become memes/stay in Internet culture?

"The dead speak!"
"They fly now!"
"You're a Palpatine"
etc.
"The dead speak!" is the only one that stands out for me for a variety of reasons.

Reaction to TLJ might be mixed but one can't deny it was a fountain of memes.
Ben Swolo, "Salt!", "The sacred texts!", "MOOORE!", "Let the past die", etc.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and "being evil and loving it" is only enough because Vader is given depth. When that kind of character is the main antagonist to your heroes, the story suffers, as we saw in this latest movie.

That makes no sense. Kylo Ren in this movie is to what Darth Vader is in ROTJ.

Palpatine is also recognized to be a highlight in the prequels and ROTJ.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure she is the love child of Luke and Leia. She even called herself a Skywalker while they smiled at her!

I know these things.
han_solo.0.png.jpeg

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And his redemption is rushed and poor because instead of doing anything related to his character, he just gets said because his mom reaches out to him...again...despite it not working before. And again, nothing he does actually addresses his character.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Yeahhh not going to watch this, even for the pretty spectacle. I've had enough of this cashing in on nostalgia and recycling old characters ie bringing back the big bad from the old movies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And his redemption is rushed and poor because instead of doing anything related to his character, he just gets said because his mom reaches out to him...again...despite it not working before. And again, nothing he does actually addresses his character.
I think Rey healing him (when she could have killed him) also contributed to his turn

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
How is the devil not the big bad?
In that story, he clearly isn't. The story isn't told with Eve and Adam being sympathetic (hell, thanks to misogyny you will find many that find fault with EVE over Satan because Satan's just doing his job).

Its why I said its an oversimplification. Satan's the big bad in a possession stories because generally its an innocent literally getting taken over and defiled through no fault of their own. You aren't going to find many theology or even philosophy stories that have satan as the antagonist in the garden of eden...its man's curiosity/hubris/defiance of god

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017

And Kylo Ren heading the First Order not out of a desire to rule, but fueled only by rage and desperation that he felt abandoned by everyone that was supposed to care for him, and then Rey, in a final rejection, was far more interesting than him being a half-assed Vader retread (he even rebuilds his helmet, jesus fucking christ, JJ) while serving the very same master (he intends to kill him, but then again, so did Vader). It's dumb, lazy and makes his redemption arc a lot more abrupt than it needed to be. Vader had a relationship to the Emperor from the start and the story was built from the ground up with that in mind, here you are inserting that dynamic in the final act, it doesn't work the same way.

The crew spends every single scene worrying about Palpatine and trying to find their way to him as well. Kylo seems almost like a parallel character working out his own issues separate from the main plot at times. He basically only interacts with Rey, and the Resistance doesn't really give a shit about him unless he's in their immediate physical vicinity.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just a complete and utter misread of what Rian was going for and why it was uniquely devastating. JJ's a fucking hack for literally just aping off of Lucas when Rian already wrote a more compelling and interesting turn for Rey. Absolute fucking simpleton. It's staring him in the face, and he can't wrap his head around it. He literally doesn't get why the "no one" twist was so powerful and felt the need to make it more "extreme", but then ended up erasing so much of what made Rey a compelling character. King Moron shit right there.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Maybe that's the issue though? Is Satan the bad guy in the Adam and Eve story or is it man's hubris. God literally punishes the humans making hubris the 'conflict' which is my point in that calling Sheev the big bad an oversimplification.

The question is more "would they have done what they did, to the degree that they did, without being pushed?" That's why Palpatine as merely a conduit for the bad side of human nature works in the OT, but in the PT you would not have gotten full blown Empire and Anakin killing younglings without Palpatine driving the wedge through the political scene and between Anakin and the rest of the Jedi. Anakin may well have fallen when left to his own devices, but not so far or so fast. The more logical jump from his massacre of the Tusken Raiders would have been My Lai styled war crimes instead of jumping right to murdering children of monks unprovoked.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In that story, he clearly isn't. The story isn't told with Eve and Adam being sympathetic (hell, thanks to misogyny you will find many that find fault with EVE over Satan because Satan's just doing his job).

Its why I said its an oversimplification. Satan's the big bad in a possession stories because generally its an innocent literally getting taken over and defiled through no fault of their own. You aren't going to find many theology or even philosophy stories that have satan as the antagonist in the garden of eden...its man's curiosity/hubris/defiance of god

Sure, but generally speaking, when someone's the puppet master pulling the strings, they're considered to be the main threat, even if the characters don't know that.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The question is more "would they have done what they did, to the degree that they did, without being pushed?" That's why Palpatine as merely a conduit for the bad side of human nature works in the OT, but in the PT you would not have gotten full blown Empire and Anakin killing younglings without Palpatine driving the wedge through the political scene and between Anakin and the rest of the Jedi. Anakin may well have fallen when left to his own devices, but not so far or so fast. The more logical jump from his massacre of the Tusken Raiders would have been My Lai styled war crimes instead of jumping right to murdering children of monks unprovoked.
This is deep and accurate.

Imagine a star wars prequel trilogy remade with this in mind. Amazing.
J.J.: What is The Last Jedi?

Noooo. Now /this/ is deep.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this was dumb.

The infatuation with bloodline should have never really been a thing. Instead of giving these character's stories a platform to grow it just restricts the possibilities.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
JJ Abrams is the kind of guy who, when on a date, will say and agree with anything the woman wants to hear as long as he can get laid

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
So... Anakin did bring balance to the Force, but only temporarily? But how? He didn't kill Palpatine. Or did he kill Palpatine, but Palpatine was resurrected a few years before The Force Awakens and that's when the Force became imbalanced again?
Well in the old canon (legends) the balance would have been permanent had Anakin embraced his destiny as the Father's successor. but he didn't and it led to disaster for over 60 years. When he killed the emperor it was temporary. Palpatine came back from the void with a Sith Spell and cloned himself and did more damage in a 2 year war than he did in the great 20 year war and that led to the balance ending, along with the Vong entering the galaxy 10 years after that. Anakin's great grandaughter Allana would become the Jedi Queen of Hapes and ensure a long, long balance and peace with her lifetime. But Luke stated that the Jedi and Sith needed to maintain the balance themselves since the Daughter, Son and Anakin were all dead..

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
We already covered that with Luke and Vader. And technically with Anakin and Palpatine as well. Why do we need to do this twist a third time? I swear JJ's head will explode if he tries to do something new with this franchise.
It's the exact same twist. I can't believe no one said anything to put a stop to this. There's no way everyone was down with this. Coming off TLJ, it makes zero sense.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017

"The dead speak!"
"They fly now!"
"You're a Palpatine"
etc.
"The dead speak!" was such a strange way to start off the movie. Like it expected you to know Palpatine was back based on promo material. If you didn't know, they picked the most flaccid way possible to reintroduce the audience to this character we thought to be dead for 30 years. It's just so weird.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's the exact same twist. I can't believe no one said anything to put a stop to this. There's no way everyone was down with this. Coming off TLJ, it makes zero sense.
That he managed to loop Kylo Ren back around from the brand new, fresh path in TLJ as a kind of villain Star Wars has never had before, to "Actually he's just Vader in ROTJ again" says it all.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
emperor-palpatine-1555323736.jpg

This creased dress-shirt of a man was out here clapping big booty cheeks while you can't even get a text back.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
That's what caught me and my buddies off guard.

You brought back this iconic bad guy and don't even really give him a proper cool intro. They just...say it in the opening scrawl.

Like, I get that it's in the trailers and promo material, but it would've been nice for your big villain to have a dramatic lead up to his reintroduction. Instead it's so goddamn limp.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah but every scene he was in was amazing so they did do him justice in that he was a bad ass

They just left some to the imagination which I'm come into to terms with slowly.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So... Anakin did bring balance to the Force, but only temporarily? But how? He didn't kill Palpatine. Or did he kill Palpatine, but Palpatine was resurrected a few years before The Force Awakens and that's when the Force became imbalanced again?

Pretty much ruined the whole concept of Anakin being a savior (and everything that happened in the first six episodes by the good guys).