• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I continue to hope that IX is good enough to erase the unfortunate mess that is XIII, or at least make it all worthwhile. I still don't understand why they didn't have a structure in place from VII-IX with all the writers and director(s) on board from the get go with a vision from start to finish.

It's likely time constraints. Hell TFA was rushed and Janky because the script was a few drafts away from where it needed to be. Disney was really pushing for that fast ROI

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean by all accounts, Trevorrowwas fired because he was having disagreements with Kennedy in regards to the script, not the Story Group. Some of this is impossible to know without working at Lucasfilm and seeing how much control/freedom there is in terms of individual stories and who talks to who but I'm not exactly convinced that the Story Group has much serious input/say on a lot of these higher level topics.

collider.com

Star Wars 9: Why Colin Trevorrow Was Fired

A new report sheds light on why 'Jurassic World' filmmaker Colin Trevorrow was fired from writing and directing 'Star Wars 9', confirming that Rian Johnson was approached to take over.
I mean yea it's based on individuals as the LF story group is comprised of multiple people collaborating on multiple projects.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I love how every thread gives this man's words the most cynical reading possible to an extent other creators are not. Every single time. It's not exhausting or anything.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
A basic outline was in place. They just let the directors do what they felt was best for the story. I think the issue is that a lot of people don't get what "a basic outline" means. There is a straight up story group that checks makes sure that everything made is consistent.

People don't understand that the intentional thing with Kylo is that we aren't supposed to be afraid of him like we are with Vader. Luke was a farm boy who had a sheltered life. Rey is a scavenger who lived on a planet shitty enough to warrante her carrying around not just a staff but also a knife that she had no problem threatening people with.
410.jpg
Precisely. Just like Luke dying like he did is "going out like a wimp", Kylo being unstable and imperfect as a leader/bad guy is seen as "he's a joke".

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean yea it's based on individuals as the LF story group is comprised of multiple people collaborating on multiple projects.
If there are singular people within the Story Group overseeing all three films of the ST then I'm not sure they're doing a good job as we've heard multiple stories of the directors doing whatever they want and little about oversight apart from Kennedy and Kasdan, primarily in relation to Solo.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's likely time constraints. Hell TFA was rushed and Janky because the script was a few drafts away from where it needed to be. Disney was really pushing for that fast ROI

Yeah and it was suppose to be even sooner but JJ pushed them for extra time. I think Disney would have had more takers for Episode 7 if they didn't have such a harsh release date, in the end JJ got it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If there are singular people within the Story Group overseeing all three films of the ST then I'm not sure they're doing a good job as we've heard multiple stories of the directors doing whatever they want and little about oversight apart from Kennedy and Kasdan, primarily in relation to Solo.
Solo was the biggest instances of creatives clashing with oversight as it was originally going to be "Guardians of the Galaxy but Star Wars," it's an outlier. But when you think about what's SW's been about since the SG was established, most especially the power of hope, it's been very consistent despite balancing between completely different mediums that being tv, comics, film, games, etc.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If that were true we would all be here waiting for Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Jurassic Galaxy instead of TROS.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If that were true we would all be here waiting for Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Jurassic Galaxy instead of TROS.
That was my point in that Trevorrow was conflicting with Kennedy, not the Story Group. The Story Group is virtually never mentioned in any of these directorial conflicts. Lord and Miller were pissing off Kennedy and Kasdan directly, the Story Group wasn't mentioned at all in any of those articles talking about how Solo was a dumpster fire.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
So interesting the contrast between the reverence and the sacredness of the franchise to fans and the haphazard nature that it has been treated at the cinematic level by LF & Disney.

Maybe fans shouldn't care as much about this franchise anymore. We'll see what's the response from the BO.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wasnt "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" meant to be the "sequel" in case he didnt get to do Empire Strikes Back?
Yep, for all the planning the OT went through huge amounts of rewrites and such when it came to the nitty gritty. One of the original ideas for a lower budget sequel was focused on a Luke and Leia romance. Almost as if they were never intended to be siblings.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, for all the planning the OT went through huge amounts of rewrites and such when it came to the nitty gritty. One of the original ideas for a lower budget sequel was focused on a Luke and Leia romance. Almost as if they were never intended to be siblings.
Even if the story is now null and void , I hope the title gets reused again. Its a pretty awesome name (better than most star wars movie titles to me lol)

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
However this trilogy ends, im glad they let Rian do whatever he wanted, the result was the most SOULful star wars since a new hope

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The level of influence the story group has seems to be based pretty much on the old canon hierarchy. Movies are at the top and the group are pretty much glorified yes men who scour everything to try and justify whatever crazy idea the director has. Its Kennedy who the directors really answer to. Video games and such are where they have a lot more authority to veto things, constant back and forth between the devs and LF before they can do anything.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The level of influence the story group has seems to be based pretty much on the old canon hierarchy. Movies are at the top and the group are pretty much glorified yes men who scour everything to try and justify whatever crazy idea the director has. Its Kennedy who the directors really answer to. Video games and such are where they have a lot more authority to veto things, constant back and forth between the devs and LF before they can do anything.
That makes a lot of sense.

Oct 31, 2017
He still had a general plan. Even an outline is something. And things change during filming, that happened with LOTR as well, but starting with a real plan puts you on the right foot. Also, the idea here is that the screenwriters you hire to work on your new Star Wars movie are better than George Lucas. There is no excuse for not planning these movies out. It's a mind-boggling decision.

How'd he have a general plan when Vader actually being Luke's father is central to the entire redemption arc of Vader and the Emperor was there for story purposes as the wedge between Luke and Vader? He was originally a separate character from Anakin, and Vader originally betrayed and murdered Anakin before actually being the same person and Obi-Wan technically told the truth via point-of-view.

It's also nearly impossible for three artists to have the same vision for a trilogy of movies or video games. That's asking a lot. You'd have to basically have a committee to do it, or you give it to one person who maybe wouldn't change his mind.

Lucas had no plan. You can tell based on how the films turned out. Luke kisses Leia or straight up smooches her in two movies but they're brother and sister. The Death Star was destroyed -- a system that we would find out started construction in Episode 3 and took a couple decades to hammer out -- but was quickly rebuilt and even more dangerous than the first. Vader killed Anakin but actually was Anakin.

He didn't have a real plan because hell if Lucas knew if he'd get a second shot. If you like the OT, you have to accept that there wasn't actually a grand plan for it, and Lucas' statements that he actually did don't stand up to scrutiny and his own treatments that he wrote of these movies.

This should have been Rian's trilogy from the start.

I really can't wait for his and for what he's going to do with it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
How'd he have a general plan when Vader actually being Luke's father is central to the entire redemption arc of Vader and the Emperor was there for story purposes as the wedge between Luke and Vader? He was originally a separate character from Anakin, and Vader originally betrayed and murdered Anakin before actually being the same person and Obi-Wan technically told the truth via point-of-view.

It's also nearly impossible for three artists to have the same vision for a trilogy of movies or video games. That's asking a lot. You'd have to basically have a committee to do it, or you give it to one person who maybe wouldn't change his mind.

Lucas had no plan. You can tell based on how the films turned out. Luke kisses Leia or straight up smooches her in two movies but they're brother and sister. The Death Star was destroyed -- a system that we would find out started construction in Episode 3 and took a couple decades to hammer out -- but was quickly rebuilt and even more dangerous than the first. Vader killed Anakin but actually was Anakin.

He didn't have a real plan because hell if Lucas knew if he'd get a second shot. If you like the OT, you have to accept that there wasn't actually a grand plan for it, and Lucas' statements that he actually did don't stand up to scrutiny and his own treatments that he wrote of these movies.
He didn't even have a plan for the prequels. He knew the ending but had no clue how to get there. And he didn't even succeed at lining up certain plot details with the already existing story.

Oct 31, 2017
He didn't even have a plan for the prequels. He knew the ending but had no clue how to get there. And he didn't even succeed at lining up certain plot details with the already existing story.

Yup, which is why it felt rushed after The Phantom Menace. Here you had one story about discovering Anakin and the return of the Sith, and then we skipped ahead 20 years and went through the formation of the Clone Army, the start of the Clone Wars, the breaking apart of the Republic, the near eradication of the Jedi, Palpatine's manipulations and Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, and the formation of a Galactic Emperor and dissolution of the Trade Federation in two movies.

Holy shit. The thing is, despite not being the critical darling the first movie was, the next two became, and the ST has been, the prequels probably had the most planning of any of the trilogies, especially the OT -- he knew that a Clone War happened, he knew Obi-Wan and Anakin were friends, we knew Anakin helped the Emperor hunt down and destroy the Jedi, we knew the Republic stood for a thousand generations before the Empire formed.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. By the time ROTJ was made, it was a trilogy. And at that point we knew Lucas wanted a 9-part saga. My dad used to talk about it all the time. And we consumed these movies, repeatedly, along with millions and millions of fans. There were also TV movies and cartoons, and a disproportionate amount of toys. The decades of hype that preceded Star Wars were about the craft of moviemaking and pulp adventures and serials that came before. So to say these elements were not there at the time is not accurate.

What is present now that wasn't present then is this: immediate and competitive access to every piece of media ever created by humanity.

When there's so much available, along with a high-pressure yet wide pipeline of NEW material consistently being delivered, it's just so so easy to pick out the few things you like and/or have time for - and deem the rest of it "trash". There is also a competitive and robust market for those looking for media that exists to call other media disposable and of no value. This is the phenomenon that pervades today's zeitgeists.
I've read this twice now, and still have no idea what you're arguing or how it goes against what you quoted.
Star Wars was a trilogy when a third film was made? Ok. Yes, that's how trilogies work.
There was decades of hype for Star Wars prior to the first one being released, simply based on the fact that serials existed before? Huh?
There's tons of media competing for our attention now, so there's no reason to have planned out three movies in one of the highest grossing series of all time?
I'm genuinely confused.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Making it up as they go. Yup you can tell.

Edit- Now I can definitely say Johnson had no idea what to do with Finn and Poe so just stuck them into B plot.

All the real effort went to focus on Rey, Kylo, and Luke.
Unfortunately yes. A franchise like this really needs a firm hand.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow pretty mind-blowing.

It's probably the first movie franchise that's been guaranteed a trilogy with a near unlimited budget and a huge fanbase spanning several generations that guarantees big opening day numbers. Yet they couldn't be bothered to develop a detailed outline for the three movies? You can still leave some things open-ended to allow the story to breath and allow the actors to grow the characters, but at minimum there should have been a general over-arching outline across the trilogy that all the stakeholders bought into so there's some guide-posts. Flying completely blind almost seems criminal from a creativity perspective considering all the resources they had.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Wow pretty mind-blowing.

It's probably the first movie franchise that's been guaranteed a trilogy with a near unlimited budget and a huge fanbase spanning several generations that guarantees big opening day numbers. Yet they couldn't be bothered to develop a detailed outline for the three movies? You can still leave some things open-ended to allow the story to breath and allow the actors to grow the characters, but at minimum there should have been a general over-arching outline across the trilogy that all the stakeholders bought into so there's some guide-posts. Flying completely blind almost seems criminal from a creativity perspective considering all the resources they had.

Coming from a head company that had successfully created an overarching plot in 23 MARVEL MOVIES. Yet they failed with 3. It's just mind blowing how incompetent that is.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the fact that this trilogy didn't have scripts layed out for all three prior. Love my SW messy. Gives each film its own identity. Give me that crazy dragon ball story mess just like the OT. It's always been ridiculous space drama

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I know Lucas didn't have whole scripts fleshed out for three, much less six, movies in 1977 and that a lot of details changed along the way. They retroactively called Star Wars "Episode IV" right after ESB came out. But it's known that some details were rolling around for movies outside the OT either while Lucas and Kasdan were working on the OT or before.

For instance, the detail about Anakin falling into lava after his fight with Obi-Wan was something I"d heard people talk about as far back as the 90's.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tell that to the Marvel guys where movies are carefully planned out years in advance so that they form a great interconnected story.

With Star Wars they've had to bring back Palpatine because a lack of planning left them with zero credible threat to the heroes going into the final episode of the saga.

I think they could bring back Captain Phasma and build up General Hux as credible threats. I am not a fan of milking Palpatine so much. Besides the end of TLJ has already reduced the resistance to a mere handful of members. There were like probably 40 to 70 of them with Leia, and Luke died.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I like the fact that this trilogy didn't have scripts layed out for all three prior. Love my SW messy. Gives each film its own identity. Give me that crazy dragon ball story mess just like the OT. It's always been ridiculous space drama
The Dragonball equivalent of this is going from the manga to GT.(the OG creative head is no longer involved and it's a bunch of different people going by ear) The OT had Lucas as the creative head driving force throughout like DB had Toriyama. Dragonball had different editors throughout the manga run(they had a very big influence) which would be the equivalent of the different directors of the OT.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Lucas didn't have whole scripts fleshed out for three, much less six, movies in 1977 and that a lot of details changed along the way. They retroactively called Star Wars "Episode IV" right after ESB came out. But it's known that some details were rolling around for movies outside the OT either while Lucas and Kasdan were working on the OT or before.

For instance, the detail about Anakin falling into lava after his fight with Obi-Wan was something I"d heard people talk about as far back as the 90's.
Anakin falling into lava was from the novelization of ROTJ.

The novelization of ANH also had things like Owen being Obi-Wan's brother, and Palpatine being a historical Emperor in the past (while the present Emperor was a different character).

The novelization of TESB had things like Yoda having blue skin instead of green, and Vader's lightsaber being blue instead of the usual red.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Making it up as they go. Yup you can tell.

Edit- Now I can definitely say Johnson had no idea what to do with Finn and Poe so just stuck them into B plot.

All the real effort went to focus on Rey, Kylo, and Luke.

Well he sort of had to deal with the aftermath of the end of TFA and show you what happened with Luke and Rey so you got the immediate Aftermath of Poe and Finn too

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Pretty sure Alec Guiness said it said Episode 4 on the script.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Episode III stuff was known way before even the first prequel was produced. That was the movie I wanted to see the most because I'd finally get to see that fabled volcano duel and the birth of Vader.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I really despise the lack of a concrete outline Lucasfilm had for this trilogy. It worked for the OT because they assumed ANH would just be a hokey film. This was planned as a trilogy from the outset and it's one of the biggest IPs of all time, there was no excuse here.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even definitively know how much Lucas had pre-planned when he did New Hope?

In the Documentary 'From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga' Lucas makes several references to his original story (whatever that may be) and the need to change it around when the stuff he boiled down for 'A New Hope' needed to be expanded upon again when he got to do his full story.

Its worth a watch. He talks about stuff like Luke was supposed to do more Jedi training with Ben but since he was killed off he had to create Yoda or that the Wookies were supposed to be part of the big battle of the end, but since he made Chewie more advanced than originally intended Lucas had to create Ewoks as a more primitive species. There is one or two more things about his original story.

You also see the desire to go back and fix things he didnt like in the original movies like the creatures in the Cantina scene.

Feb 4, 2018
Guys, Rian Johnson will get a multi-year deal to make a few movies for them, but they are definitely moving away from trilogies after this one and so I bet they're not moving ahead with his.

There's just no reason to stick with a model that makes less money with each new entry, especially when you consider what the MCU was able to do.

I'd bet money that Rian Johnson has been pretty quiet on his trilogy deal because they're renegotiating it into something a little more flexible.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I'd go on a whim and say Finn being in a coma was just to make sure Rey would leave on her own to meet Luke. So he'd wake up, want to go help, people say no, he goes anyway, and shows up with Rey is mind-battling with Kylo as he lures her to the dark side. Kylo would play on her parents' fate and her sense of loneliness to draw her in, as both are now "alone, without a family" or some such, but Finn showing up makes her realize she has a family now, and rejects Kylo.

I could see that.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Coming from a head company that had successfully created an overarching plot in 23 MARVEL MOVIES. Yet they failed with 3. It's just mind blowing how incompetent that is.

Goes to show how much vision Kevin Feige had / has and his ability to steer such massive ship that became MCU over decade of story telling.

Writing three scripts in advance and sticking rigidly to them isn't going to make the films better.

No one has suggested they should do that, but them clearly having next to no vision at all for trilogy story and shooting it from the hip with wet bullets isn't great.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I love the MCU but the need to stick to an overall story actually damaged a lot of their movies, especially the ones that were just there to pump the next one. They also stick to a formula for that reason.