• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit, watching everyone at Disney play the Blame Game for TROS is more entertaining than the entire ST...

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
the PT is still much worse than anything that came out from the ST.

the wound is still fresh sadly.

I do mostly agree with you but the thing with the PT is that it ended on a relative high note compared to the two films before it....whereas this trilogy ended with most of the excitement just gone.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Because it wasn't out of the way of his mission to save Rey. He wasn't just gonna dip with nowhere to go and no pilots. You keep trying to make a casual mention of "I have an idea" when prompted by Han Solo that they're running out of time to be definitive proof that he cared about the cause and wasn't primarily there to rescue Rey. It doesn't work. And the film doesn't try to frame it in anyway shape or form as that sort of character beat.
original.gif

And I conceded this point. He did it because it was convenient.
Yes it was, he says he won't have time to save her. How is it so hard to understand basic storytelling.
And please enough with the gifs my internet is shit enough.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I do mostly agree with you but the thing with the PT is that it ended on a relative high note compared to the two films before it....whereas this trilogy ended with most of the excitement just gone.

Not to mention it's setting is infinitely more interesting and some of the greatest Star Wars stories are set in the Prequels setting.

Meanwhile, The ST is even faceplanting in its attempt to build stories in that setting (See: "The Rise of Kylo Ren")

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it was, he says he won't have time to save her.
He says they won't have much time if the resistance comes in and wins because the space station was about to be blown up. He was being very literal. Why are people who discuss the ST so bad at observing basic shit.

He's not making a choice between deactivating the shields and saving Rey.

That's not at all how that conversation is framed.

Oct 31, 2017
A reminder that earlier in the film Finn had already fought the first order, under similar circumstances. He didn't run away from fights whenever they presented themselves.
WhisperedUnnaturalDogwoodclubgall-size_restricted.gif

Arguably that moment is the defining moment where he faces his fear of the FO but if anything it reinforces his fear first and foremost. So it's basically back to square 1 when it comes to fearing the first order. He faced his fear and lost. Him trying to protect Rey matters more in that moment than him facing his fear.

I'm not saying he ran away from fights but I think there is a big difference between fighting stormtroopers while being saved by Han Solo and facing the big bad of the movie by himself knowing "Solo isn't here to save you"

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
He says they won't have much time if the resistance comes in and wins because the space station was about to be blown up. He was being very literal. Why are people who discuss the ST so bad at observing basic shit.

He's not making a choice between deactivating the shields and saving Rey.
Was about to be blown up because he disabled the shields. lol. He is making a choice to help both.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying he ran away from fights but I think there is a big difference between fighting stormtroopers while being saved by Han Solo and facing the big bad of the movie by himself knowing "Solo isn't here to save you"
Either way he would've fought though. There is a difference. But Finn didn't have the chance to run away in either scenario.

Was about to be blown up because he disabled the shields. lol. He is making a choice to help both.
Because Han insisted that they find a way to disable the shields. Finn only provided a shaky idea at best when prompted after being called out on his BS. There is not a single ounce of self reflection on Finn's part that would lead to character development and a sudden care for the cause. This all happens in an incredibly short amount of time. You're basically arguing that his character development occurs over the course of five-ten minutes. And that we should just ignore his dialogue and frame it completely differently so that it appears more heroic, in order to get this version of Finn that by all accounts doesn't actually exist in the film. And your metric is

"He cares because he's not standing still and doing nothing when prompted to do come up with an idea"

That's not what caring for a cause means. ESPECIALLY not in SW where characters are entirely defined by their dedication to ideologies.

Last edited:

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just a mediocre ass trilogy of moves, with a classic jumping the shark in the third film. It's basically the Hobbit trilogy.

If they weren't Star Wars, the movies would never be talked about on their own merits/failures. They are completely forgettable.

If modern day internet discussion was around for the prequels, the discourse would make the ST reactions look mild.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Either way he would've fought though. There is a difference. But Finn didn't have the chance to run away in either scenario.

Because Han insisted that they find a way to disable the shields. Finn only provided a shaky idea at best when prompted after being called out on his BS. There is not a single ounce of self reflection on Finn's part that would lead to character development and a sudden care for the cause. This all happens in an incredibly short amount of time. You're basically arguing that his character development occurs over the course of five-ten minutes. And that we should just ignore his dialogue and frame it completely differently so that it appears more heroic, in order to get this version of Finn that by all accounts doesn't actually exist in the film. And your metric is he's cares because he's not standing still, that's not what caring for a cause means. ESPECIALLY not in SW where characters are entirely defined by their dedication to ideologies.

han shaky development is affecting how people expect for characters to develop

Han goes away and returns saving the day so he joins the rebels. HENCE, every other character that does something somehow similar, OBVIOUSLY will join the rebels and never have any doubt in his mind never again 100% rebel scum.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TFA set up Rey's parentage for a big twist later down the line, and TLJ delivered a big twist, even if it wasn't the twist Abrams wanted (or would later pull anyway with TRoS).

TFA set up Snoke as an explicit Emperor replacement, and TLJ gave us Snoke doing everything Palpatine ever did in the OT, and more, with more actual characterization and story relevance to boot despite getting killed off before the final act.

TFA set up Luke's return, and TRJ spent half the movie on him, gave him a complete and compelling character arc, and set him up again for a major role in IX (which was then squandered).

The Last Jedi didn't "undo" anything; everything in that film was a natural development of what occurred in The Force Awakens. If Markey and Abrams couldn't see a better way to follow up on those developments than "toss everything; Palpatine's back", then they're the ones who paid the price for their lack of vision.

Rey's twist in TLJ doesn't fit with her visions in TFA with the lightsaber, or explain how she just 'knows' how to use force abilities that Jedi take years training to use.

Snoke may as well have been a random Stormtropper for all we discover about him in TLJ, where the hell this powerful Sith Lord came from when is a rule of two would have been nice, what's with those scars on the face that look like a lightsaber slashed it, looks like a story there? Nope, he dead and you get no answers to anything.

Luke was a fair enough direction to go, it's just many people felt it out of character, the guy who saw redemption in Darth Vader almost killing his nephew who didn't actually do anything bad yet, then running off to be a hermit.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
To Rians defense.. you can't really build on something when there isn't anything to build on in the first place.
JJ always uses these elements that pretend to have deeper meaning, but the never do.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rey's twist in TLJ doesn't fit with her visions in TFA with the lightsaber, or explain how she just 'knows' how to use force abilities that Jedi take years training to use.

the force is not exclusive for some specific bloodlines

even if JJ went and tried to change that again.

we have seen toddlers moving objects without knowing what the force is.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Because Han insisted that they find a way to disable the shields. Finn only provided a shaky idea at best when prompted after being called out on his BS. There is not a single ounce of self reflection on Finn's part that would lead to character development and a sudden care for the cause. This all happens in an incredibly short amount of time. You're basically arguing that his character development occurs over the course of five-ten minutes. And that we should just ignore his dialogue and frame it completely differently so that it appears more heroic, in order to get this version of Finn that by all accounts doesn't actually exist in the film.
So? Finn could've went to find her instead. He chose to help them, what if capturing Phasma went wrong? I'm arguing that he made a choice, something that you deny.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
han shaky development is affecting how people expect for characters to develop
That basically boils down to every character criticism in the first two ST movies tbh.

"Oh this can't happen, because that's different from the OT's character development."

Drives me nuts.

So? Finn could've went to find her instead.
No he couldn't have. Rey literally freed herself lmao. Finn wasn't in anyway shape or form going to just dip and look for Rey in an enemy base without the two heavily armed and heavily experienced war heroes.

He chose to help them, what if capturing Phasma went wrong?
He was already in the process of trying to cover his tracks. Him coming up with an idea to capture Phasma when prompted was the payoff for this line:
smAd7NX.png

---->

TDCJwqF.png

This is not: I care for the resistance and their cause

This is: Ok yea I fucked up I'll think of something maybe while we're on our way to save Rey.

Last edited:

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I would expect that after "Rey Palpatine" the fandom would have realized that obsessing over bloodlines and other shit will be the downfall of this franchise.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ didn't undo a single goddamned thing.

The "JJ was left with nothing, his hands were tied by TLJ's ending!" line of defense completely crumbled into dust the moment the Trevorrow script leaked; some of the clunkier dialogue warts and all, that script actually followed up on both sequels and even the OT/PT in a way that felt completely logical without half a movie of fetch quests or Palpatine's Behind It All.
JJ set up Luke/Anakin's lost blue lightsaber as a mysterious MacGuffin. Rian had Luke dismissively toss that worthless device over his shoulder.

JJ tried to make Kylo Ren the scary new Darth Vader. Rian had Snoke say "Take that stupid helmet off, it makes you look like an idiot."

JJ tried to create Snoke as the mysterious new Emperor. Rian killed Snoke and put Kylo Ren in charge.

JJ tried to set up the mystery of Rey's parentage. Rian said that Rey is a nobody, because parentage doesn't matter.

Luke catches the lightsaber in RotS. Kylo rebuilds his helmet in RotS. Without Snoke, JJ resorts to bringing back Palpatine for RotS. RotS says that Palpatine was Rey's grandfather. JJ was clearly in love with these ideas that Rian trashed.

JJ's former editor (who didn't work on Rise of Skywalker) isn't saying that TLJ was bad, she actually says it was good, and that it tried to deconstruct the franchise to open the franchise up to new possibilities. But she says that she has some sympathy for JJ (who clearly fell on his face), for being asked to follow an act like Rian Johnson's, an act which had just previously deliberately kicked JJ square in his memberberries.

The fault lies not in JJ or Rian, but in Lucasfilm/Disney choosing JJ to come back for the third movie after Rian pummeled JJ with the second. Lucasfilm/Disney should've let JJ make all three, or let Rian make all three, or let Colin Trevorrow make the third one.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
JJ set up Luke/Anakin's lost blue lightsaber as a mysterious MacGuffin. Rian had Luke dismissively toss that worthless device over his shoulder.

JJ tried to make Kylo Ren the scary new Darth Vader. Rian had Snoke say "Take that stupid helmet off, it makes you look like an idiot."

JJ tried to create Snoke as the mysterious new Emperor. Rian killed Snoke and put Kylo Ren in charge.

JJ tried to set up the mystery of Rey's parentage. Rian said that Rey is a nobody, because parentage doesn't matter.

Luke catches the lightsaber in RotS. Kylo rebuilds his helmet in RotS. Without Snoke, JJ resorts to bringing back Palpatine for RotS. RotS says that Palpatine was Rey's grandfather. JJ was clearly in love with these ideas that Rian trashed.
So at no point did he undo anything. None of those are things being undone.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018

JJ's former editor (who didn't work on Rise of Skywalker) isn't saying that TLJ was bad, she actually says it was good, and that it tried to deconstruct the franchise to open the franchise up to new possibilities. But she says that she has some sympathy for JJ (who clearly fell on his face), for being asked to follow an act like Rian Johnson's, an act which had just previously deliberately kicked JJ square in his memberberries.

The fault lies not in JJ or Rian, but in Lucasfilm/Disney choosing JJ to come back for the third movie after Rian pummeled JJ with the second. Lucasfilm/Disney should've let JJ make all three, or let Rian make all three, or let Colin Trevorrow make the third one.

Basically, this

I agree with everything you said

Of the directors, I blame Johnson's the most.

Because shitting on everything that JJ built while making the second movie of a trilogy was a really, really bad look

I understand JJ going "oh, you took a dump on everything I built and now I have to follow your storyline? My ass" and thus, making TROS

I would also be frustrated as fuck

Like, you want to innovate the formula and make your own spin on the franchise ? Ok, but direct a spin off like Rogue One, not the second movie of a trilogy

Last edited:

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
It's just a mediocre ass trilogy of moves, with a classic jumping the shark in the third film. It's basically the Hobbit trilogy.

If they weren't Star Wars, the movies would never be talked about on their own merits/failures. They are completely forgettable.

If modern day internet discussion was around for the prequels, the discourse would make the ST reactions look mild.

After honeymoon period for The Phantom Menace wore off, the discourse for the prequels was quite negative on the Internet for the prequels, especially the first 2 movies.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That basically boils down to every character criticism in the first two ST movies tbh.

"Oh this can't happen, because that's different from the OT's character development."

Drives me nuts.

I think this video says it well. While it's focusing on canon and not necessarily character developments I still think it applies here.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
It seems that the actual running theme in this trilogy was trying to undo the stuff that came before. True genius from LF.

TFA resets everything to ANH and is a thinly veiled fuck the prequels movie.

TLJ knew the only way to go after a blatant ANH remake was to try and it steer it from that path to be it's own thing.

TROS gets back on the remake track and delivers the finishing blow and retroactively fucks over the whole series but ROTJ and TLJ the most.

Oct 25, 2017
I blame the people that excessively praised The Force Awakens when that movie went downhill after they leave Jakku

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I think that disney most likely mandated that Kylo had to be redeemed and he couldn't be the big bad, I want to believe that JJ isn't so stupid to think that bringing back Palpatine for the last film was a great idea.

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Okay I have to respond to this right here because Rey does have a consistent character arc through both those movies regarding this regardless of what the intentions may have been from the different writers involved in it. When we meet her in TFA she's clinging onto a faint memory of her parents so hard that she's content to barely get by as a scavenger so she can stay at the place they left her because she's absolutely convinced herself they'll return one day. She's so paralyzed by the idea of having nothing to tie her identity to that she can barely even aspire to anything else. By TLJ she's so desperate for someone to decide her identity for her that she's openly asking people to and having conversations about it with the man she literally watched murder his own father. Realizing that she'll never get the easy answer she wants is the most devastating thing she could learn, but it's also empowering because it forces her to decide her own identity and gives her the freedom to choose her own path for the first time in her life.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
tbc disney most likely mandate that Kylo had to be redeemed snd he couldn't be the big bad, I want to believe that JJ isn't so stupid to think that bringing back Palpatine for the last film was a great idea.
Kylo got redeemed in the original episode 9 too despite being the big bad. JJ just tried to fit the conclusion of the last two trilogies in this one.
-Rey vs. Kylo on an ocean as an inverse on Obi-wan vs Anakin on Mustafar
-Throne room scene of ROTJ where the big bad wizard tempts the protagonist to become evil and strike him down

The issue is that we didn't need an old wizard final boss in the first place. It was time for something new. Kylo was that something. A character like Kylo had never been the big bad in SW. Kylo is like if we got a continuation of this alternate ending from SW:

Kylo on his own is inherently interesting without playing second fiddle. I just genuinely don't understand why they felt the need to go with something so dull.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ took the piles of mystery boxes and cheap fan service JJ created with TFA and went somewhere interesting, even if there were some flaws. The ending of TLJ left JJ with a *huge* opportunity to go just about anywhere he wanted and he decided to just circle back for more fan service.
JJ is only ever able to do fan service. He's not actually good at directing movies. You would think people would know that by now.

Oct 31, 2017
Precisely. But it's easier for people to complain about Johnson or JJ.

I was pretty weirded out when so many people here blamed TROS on "fans" or "reddit" instead of the actual people in charge of producing the film.

If Lucasfilm pandered to "reddit" then, then they should be mad at Lucasfilm. Fans didn't approve of any scripts or choose the talents behind the scene, Lucasfilms did. A strange level of corporate worship there.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I would never argue that TFA capitalizing on fanservice was a bad idea. Fanservice and familiarity aren't inherently bad. It depends on execution. TROS was an example of bad fanservice. Even if the intentions are good. Like having an in universe funeral for Carrie Fisher, there's no way in hell they did that cry cynically. And arguably all of the callbacks are not cynical either but out of the director and writer's genuine love for SW that they'd emulate it. Thing is with TFA it felt like there was a commentary being made, about reintroducing this franchise to a new generation of people. TLJ reinforced that message and commentary with its overall theme of the old guard passing the baton. TROS throws that commentary off a cliff entirely.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It was hard I think for J.J. and the co-writer to decide what to do [after] with it. It's like if someone wrote the middle of your novel. Now how do you get the end of the novel?
Actually it's like if you were hired to write the 3rd book in a story that's been dead for 10 years, you write the opening the same as the last two books, fuck off after a few chapters, and then decide to come back 2/3 through after someone had to pick up your slack. And it's worth pointing out that nothing in The Last Jedi made JJ make the decisions he made in The Rise of Skywalker. Like there's no bad decision in TROS that you can point to and say "oh that's because [thing in TLJ]". He just made a mediocre SW movie.

It's on Disney for not hiring someone that could/would stick around for the whole trilogy. And I can't really blame Abrams for taking the opportunity to do a Star Wars movie. But I also don't think anyone involved has any room to complain about a second film they weren't ever going to do, and a third film they hadn't planned on coming back for.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I don't think fan service is bad but I think TFA and TRoS take it too far, it feels like they have no creativity (though TLJ is just as bad in its own way imo)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ and TRoS were dog shit. Both damaged the OT, wish the ST wasn't made.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
tbc disney most likely mandate that Kylo had to be redeemed snd he couldn't be the big bad, I want to believe that JJ isn't so stupid to think that bringing back Palpatine for the last film was a great idea.
Yeah I can see that. Got to sell the merch after all. It's like when TFA came out and it was all Kylo merch rather than Rey or Finn.

Shame. Kylo standing on his own could have been amazing. Hell even if they wanted to redeem him it would have meant more that way.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think fan service is bad but I think TFA and TRoS take it too far, it feels like they have no creativity (though TLJ is just as bad in its own way imo)

JJ and creativity have never been friends. He did the exact same thing with Star Trek. He's not able to be creative.

Rey... Rey Skywalker is all anyone needs to know about the extent of how creative JJ can be.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
They can try passing the blame all that want, they all sucked, just some sucked harder than the others

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Not Johnson's fault even if you believe this guy. The top brass at Lucasfilm needed to have coherent vision of the whole arc and they clearly did not.

This! The root of the problem is the top executive at Lucasfilm not having a plan for a trilogy. They announced a trilogy since the beginning, they should've plan for one!

HOWEVER, There is no denying that The Last Jedi undid a lot of things that were setup for the trilogy. Whether they were good or bad is another story, but what Rian Johnson did was consciously and on propose for the sake of expectation diversion!

HOWEVER, JJ Abrams was stubborn and still wanted to do what he was planning since the beginning regardless of how much Rian Johnson had broken, and that was also a big mistake. He can blame all he wants that Rian destroyed, and in part he is right (in part because it was the job of the top executives to stop him), but he HAD to adapt to what Rian left. It didn't matter if he liked it or not.

In conclusion, both were at fault: Rian had an ego and tried to leave his mark sacrificing continuity and JJ had an ego and wanted to tell his story even though it was mostly destroyed resulting in much nonsense like the return of the Emperor.

The biggest fault, is LucasFilm for not having proper direction and leadership!

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Snoke may as well have been a random Stormtropper for all we discover about him in TLJ, where the hell this powerful Sith Lord came from when is a rule of two would have been nice, what's with those scars on the face that look like a lightsaber slashed it, looks like a story there? Nope, he dead and you get no answers to anything.

Luke was a fair enough direction to go, it's just many people felt it out of character, the guy who saw redemption in Darth Vader almost killing his nephew who didn't actually do anything bad yet, then running off to be a hermit.

The lightsaber vision in TFA doesn't fit with Rey being a Palpatine either, or having a connection to any other specific bloodline. It's a slideshow of traumatic scenes in the past and the future, relating to Rey, Luke, and Kylo. I don't see how it has to be read as foreshadowing for Rey having significant parentage, since it doesn't even function that way now that her parentage is established.

Regarding Rey's abilities, picking at power levels is a fruitless exercise, especially when you're dealing with magic that's fueled by emotions, and in a setting with rules as poorly defined as Star Wars. You can call this giving up if you want; I just don't see any narrative point in trying to figure out the specific logistics of how magically powerful characters are when that's tangential to the actual story.

As for Snoke being a cipher, the Emperor gets even less than that in ESB and RotJ, and people were satisfied with it for sixteen years. While backstory can be useful for developing a character, not every character needs a backstory, and not every possible question needs to be answered. I think the issue here is the overemphasis on grand mysteries and reveals that has taken root in a lot of fandoms. Again, if you were to watch the OT for the first time, I doubt you'd be let down by the fact that the Emperor is never remotely explained in the films, and he's an even more important character than Snoke to that storyline.

And for Luke, your point's fair enough as well. Traditionally, heroic character arcs like Luke's end with the sense that a character has learned all they need to learn, and can just go on from there to their happily ever after. Trying to give them another character arc after that is inherently going to clash a little with that romantic mode of storytelling, and that's a risk. I do feel it was a worthwhile risk, and that one of TLJ's great strengths is how it steps back to critically assess the romanticism of the OT, but I totally see how it would read as out of character for Luke as he was at the end of RotJ.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should have given Rian Johnson full control of the new trilogy from the start.

Abrams fucked up Trek, and proceeded to destroy Star Wars.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
TLJ might contradict some stupid ideas that were in JJ's Abrams head but TLJ respects what he put on screen in TFA. If JJ wanted to set things in stone then he should have done it and not left things purposefully vague.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Should have given Rian Johnson full control of the new trilogy from the start.

Abrams fucked up Trek, and proceeded to destroy Star Wars.
Would have been a sight to see. Bringing on JJ was the worst thing they did for the franchise, and I didn't realize how bad it was until he wasn't being propped up by Kasdan and other's ideas/concepts