• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

www.rottentomatoes.com

Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey

Decades after his apprentice betrays him, a once joyful toymaker finds new hope when his bright young granddaughter appears on his doorstep.
Critic Consensus: Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey celebrates the yuletide season with a holiday adventure whose exuberant spirit is matched by its uplifting message.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
100% with 10 reviews.
reminds of how paddington got close to 100% and there was literally no talk about it lol

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
100% with 10 reviews.
reminds of how paddington got close to 100% and there was literally no talk about it lol

its got a pretty strong following among film twitter circles. those are some of the GOAT family films tbh. that director is very talented

this particular movie doesn't look like its for me but its dope that its getting great reception. and its a shame that its so wholly unique to have a christmas fantasy movie with a black cast in 2020 but I'm glad its happened at least.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't go for the overly twee phantasmagorical look films like this have, but that's a hell of a cast so I'll probably give it a chance.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I might try this out. Gonna add it to the list. The high ratings have me kind of intrigued.

Does Ricky martin not have a page on the RottenTomatoes site?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It was alright. WAY too long at 122 minutes but the production values and performances helped elevate the generic story and characters.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn it's long but it's GOOD. I suggested it to my wife since she loves Christmas stuff (I don't) and I had no idea it was a musical going in but it's really, really good. And I hate musicals. The production values and CG animation are top shelf.

Key's factory is basically the Shinra Electric Power Company mako reactor too, no lie.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this yesterday. Certainly one of the better Christmas offerings from Netflix (honestly is probably #2 on my list of Netflix Christmas films behind Klaus)

+ Great cast
+ Some of the songs were really good
+ Great production design

- Not enough Kegan Michael Key
- Why even bother casting Hugh Bonneville for such a small, inconsequential role?
- Very boringly shot. I was honestly expecting a "Directed by Chris Columbus" at the end
- Little too long

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Lisa Davina Phillip as Mrs. Ms. Johnston was hilarious. I also wasn't expecting Ricky Martin's role in this, hah.

Ashley Wallen, the dance choreographer who worked on The Greatest Showman, also worked on the film. I was wondering why some of these dance numbers were so reminiscent.

I wished they didn't cut Madalen Mills' first song "Not the Only One" so mercilessly short. The album version was already a terse two minutes long and they still edited it down to just 50 second in the film itself. =/

----------

I was also getting worried that the film was hitting its final stretch, and Anika Noni Rose hadn't had much time to shine, especially in the vocals department. Luckily, she brings a banger at the eleventh hour; and I'm amazed that Whitaker was able to hold his own not just here, but with his song Over and Over as well.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Just got done watching this and I liked it a lot. Maybe I'm an emotional dude but I got pretty teary eyed several times.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those films that shows how the RT rating system works. There's no way this is '95% good'.. but I can't see many people giving this a score below 3/5

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those films that shows how the RT rating system works. There's no way this is '95% good'.. but I can't see many people giving this a score below 3/5
RT is a review aggregate site that simply uses a binary system of positive (fresh) or negative (rotten). That's it. LOL @ There's no way this is 95% good. You clearly don't understand the site. If you want to see to what degree how good or bad it's reviews have been you just click "See Score Details", and you'll see it's average rating is 7.2.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
RT is a review aggregate site that simply uses a binary system of positive (fresh) or negative (rotten). That's it. LOL @ There's no way this is 95% good. You clearly don't understand the site. If you want to see to what degree how good or bad it's reviews have been you just click "See Score Details", and you'll see it's average rating is 7.2.
I think that was his point

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Claiming it's not 95% good misses the point.

The score is a reflection of positive to negative review ratio, not how good it is.

I know how the rating system works. The point is when a movie gets a high % rating.. it usually matches with my opinion of the movie. Most movies that hit 80+ on RT I would give 8+/10. This is one of the exceptions. That's it.

'95% good' is in quote marks for a reason.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know how the rating system works. The point is when a movie gets a high % rating.. it usually matches with my opinion of the movie. Most movies that hit 80+ on RT I would give 8+/10. This is one of the exceptions. That's it.

'95% good' is in quote marks for a reason.
My only issue was you claiming there's no way it's 95% good regardless if it was in quotation marks or not as if that 95% fresh rating was representative of the varying degrees of how good a move is. Just because it correlated with your opinion in the past, doesn't invalidate it's fresh rating because it doesn't correlate with your opinion now.

This movie is a very safe, family friendly, sugary, family friendly, Xmas movie with high production values. I definitely understand why it won't be up some people's alley. However I also understand how people go into it knowing what it is and can like/love it exactly for that.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Loving Netflix's commitment to a Xmas drop. Klaus is amazing and it'll be on my yearly watch list and me and the wife are saving this for December.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just checked out the movie, an utter delight.

I love seeing an original Christmas movie with a budget. The costumes were amazing. Set-design was top-notch and the musical numbers were grand.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this with my kids. I thought it was great and the music was quite good. My 3 year started to get a bit bored though given it's length but my 7 year old enjoyed the whole thing.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Might give this one a try again next year. The wife and I had to walk away while the kids were watching it a couple weeks ago and when we came back they turned it off. It seemed kind of slow to start but I thought the music would have kept their interest. They only made it about 1/3 through and decided it was too boring. They loved the 2nd Christina's Chronicles today though, I think it was just faster paced overall and had more humor to it.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Saw it last week. It's a lot of good whimsical fun that you don't see much of nowadays. Might require some people to break themselves of certain habits when watching movies (otherwise you will, like me, be saying "that doesn't make any sense" a lot). But overall it's worth a watch. And the music is fantastic. The opening number and that "Make it Work Again" song were absolutely incredible.