• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Jim brings up a good point relative to getting good, in that in order to do so, you need to be having fun with the game in the first place.
Such a good point and it highlights why these games don't click with me. The only things is usually when i play and get to a boss, after a shit ton of deaths i do eventually "git gud" and beat him but i feel so stressed and mentally out of wack at that point that i dont feel any satisfaction or "sense of accomplishment". I just feel like doing something else.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
My point? Sekiro appears to drastically change things up, so while in pre-release it was hyped up to be Soulslike, it's apparent in reviews it's not quite. The online and diversity have really gone and what is left might be for some FS/Souls fans, but not for others. That is okay, and that isn't just about elitism and rabid fanboys shouting "git gud". Some of us are pretty good, but the game just isn't for us or will be picked up when cheaper...

a simple, no-brainer prediction: unfortunately, there's a sizable number of us who were there day 1 for sekiro, who will not be there day 1 for sekiro 2. just so's you know, miyazaki-san :) ...

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I can't take anyone that acts as if they were going to be constantly attacked for their opinion when there's a ton of people who will agree with them seriously.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
User banned (5 days): continued derailment after staff post, accumulated infractions
Different communities on Resetera might behave differently, news at 11. Some of those OT topics spur a community vibe because of the content creators/websites they are about. There's daily content and daily things to discuss.

Angry Joe and JS are more about the one-off videos people come to discuss and otherwise pretty much ignore these singular figures on other days. Not even all the AJ reviews might get posted, though the Jimquistion is usually done each week. But not all Jim's impressions get posted.

It's really not a problem. The only people who make it a "problem" are thread whiners. If you want to post something Giantbomb have created in a single topic, I'm sure you could. But none of you do. You come in here and whine without actually doing what you preach.

Go create the Jim Sterling OT then? .... "Oh, but I don't actually like him/don't watch his content so I'm not spending time doing that". So what, you're here just to whine?

It's beyond parody at this point.
What are you on about?

Who says the only OT that can be done are those that have regular updates? One-off videos discussed on a regular basis week-in and week-out pretty much screams community to me.

Come in here and whine that I don't do what I preach? What are you smoking? Of course there is no need to post GB stuff BECAUSE there is an OT, appropriately. I'm not questioning about posting singular topics about GB.

Maybe his community can create an OT so others are spared the trouble of having to see another Sterling hate-filled headline about whatever flavour of the month he is hating on. But newsflash - you and his community won't and don't.

What is parody at this point is these threads, where only his community agree with him and is turned into an echo chamber, get posted every few days and people for some reason refuse to make an OT for it, mods refuse to listen to complaints about seeing his name and his headlines every so often, and these threads are pretty much promotion for him and his videos - which no one does for anyone else.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
this dude basically says the same sentence for 11 minutes "im not saying its not a good game, it just doesnt appeal to me"

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you on about?

Who says the only OT that can be done are those that have regular updates? One-off videos discussed on a regular basis week-in and week-out pretty much screams community to me.

Come in here and whine that I don't do what I preach? What are you smoking? Of course there is no need to post GB stuff BECAUSE there is an OT, appropriately. I'm not questioning about posting singular topics about GB.

Maybe his community can create an OT so others are spared the trouble of having to see another Sterling hate-filled headline about whatever flavour of the month he is hating on. But newsflash - you and his community won't and don't.

What is parody at this point is these threads, where only his community agree with him and is turned into an echo chamber, get posted every few days and people for some reason refuse to make an OT for it, mods refuse to listen to complaints about seeing his name and his headlines every so often, and these threads are pretty much promotion for him and his videos - which no one does for anyone else.

Lots of people don't agree with Jim, that can just be done without implying you not agreeing with him means the topics need to stop being made or all put elsewhere.

Not agreeing with Jim is not the same as shouting "Why does he have a topic?!". The later comes across as some sort of childish throw your toys out the pram response because instead of engaging and debating with people who might agree, you just want the topic not to exist at all, or everything be in the community section so your eyes don't need to see a JS topic.

It's very easy not to click the topic if you feel unable to enter it and actually contribute a thought out response as to why you don't agree. But that would, of course, involve having to watch the video, another thing that unsurprisingly many of those who say "why does this have a topic?" don't seem to do.

"You mean you expect me to have to watch a 10-minute video, or at least a sizeable portion of it, before I comment on something? That's outrageous!"

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
That is not the way the developer intended the game to be played, how hard is that to understand?

Not everything needs to be accessible.
I dont get this perspwctive at all as a person who has been on board from Demons souls to Sekiro. Technically all the Souls games already have an easy mode (multiplayer), but if at some point there are not enough players or servers are shut down the easy mode is gone. Why would this be preferable to a simple pleb mode toggle? (Or pleb mode x2 since summoning is already a pleb mode.)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The gulf between "I completed Dark Souls 2 with a spoon" and "I'm really not good at the games and summon for every boss" is massive. Millions of people play these games. It's not just some elite cult sitting in the dark in a basement.

I've got the platinum for all the games, Demons, DS1~3 and I'm pretty good at Souls (edit - Bloodborne platinum too). Killed nearly all the bosses solo. I'm far from the best Souls player, but years and putting hundreds of hours into these games means I'm quite good.

My point? Sekiro appears to drastically change things up, so while in pre-release it was hyped up to be Soulslike, it's apparent in reviews it's not quite. The online and diversity have really gone and what is left might be for some FS/Souls fans, but not for others. That is okay, and that isn't just about elitism and rabid fanboys shouting "git gud". Some of us are pretty good, but the game just isn't for us or will be picked up when cheaper.

As someone who is invested in the Souls community, you're damn right I'm going to kick the beehive when "git gud" changes from a funny meme into the stupid fanboy wars and elitist bullshit rife in gaming. So I will be telling some people to get a grip if they get offended not everyone is drooling over Sekiro/The God Miyazaki.
The press around this game made it a point that this wasnt going to be dark souls. I dont understand why so many people thought it would be dark souls or close to.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
It's fine to not like everything they do.

I'm having a harder time than normal, but I think that just shows on how many things you need to focus on during the action. The prep work is simpler than ever, but the combat is so much more satisfying when you pull it off just like you wanted to.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
The whole video is him saying "I don't say it is a bad game but i'm saying that it's not for me" but in many ways.

I don't know why he made a video without some real content and explaining, this could've been just a Tweet.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it... if you can do dodging, you can do parrying... it's literally the same timing.

I can Dodge early and not get hit. If you parry early your taking that damage. I never learned to parry and I have beaten deS, ds, ds2 and platinumed BB. Hearing this is focused on parries makes me much less interested.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to get those views. Make video as long as possible.
YouTube money clickbait cycle.

Or, a person doesn't subscribe to the incredibly poor attention span of some gamers where if a review doesn't have a score, then only a headline is readable. Review scores were removed from some outlets to try and help people remember you can actually read or pay attention to a conversation, rather than just replying to a headline/review score.

The press around this game made it a point that this wasnt going to be dark souls. I dont understand why so many people thought it would be dark souls or close to.

True, I tried to stay on a bit of a blackout on this game, and some of my own expectations were "the next Souls-like game" and what I did hear before release was others peddling that to. Which all influenced my thinking.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a certain undercurrent that comes from games that are challenging that people often use a means of elitism and ego stroking and that if someone isn't good at it they're often told to "git gud." Which, well therein lies the problem, not everyone wants to sink the hours in to "git gud." Games are primarily entertainment and for some, a high bar of challenge doesn't equate to fun, rigidity in the way a game plays doesn't equate to fun, sinking the hours in to "git gud" doesn't equate to fun and that's okay.
His videos aren't monetized, he's backed solely by patreon.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

That is hilarious! Lol
He didnt even watch the vid did you?
I did, actually.

I've never really been a huge fan of Jim Sterling. I think he comes across as arrogant and pompous, but I know that some of that is just part of his shtick - but some of it isn't. He's more than welcome to not like a game that a lot of other people like - that's fine; but making a video just to explain why he doesn't like something while saying that he did like aspects of it was pointless. Also, I think he found it too difficult and isn't saying so in the video, as the difficulty is probably his main reason for disliking the game. Most of my friends don't like Sekiro and they cited the difficulty as the only reason they dont like it - even though they seem to like everything else about it.

Jun 26, 2018
I can Dodge early and not get hit. If you parry early your taking that damage. I never learned to parry and I have beaten deS, ds, ds2 and platinumed BB. Hearing this is focused on parries makes me much less interested.

If you parry early in Sekiro and you keep holding the parry button instead of letting go, then you don't take any damage.

It's not at all like parrying in any of soulsborne games. There are next to no recovery frames, it's really just a block with a timing component for perfect blocks.

edit: also I've died so many times in bloodborne and souls when I try to dodge through attacks early, so I'm not really sure that's entirely accurate, that dodging early let's you avoid damage, unless you're dodging directly away from an attack way in advance. (which you can also do in sekiro, easily, in multiple ways by either jump dodging or dashing) or straight up sprinting, since there's no stamina.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not having much fun with it. One thing it seems to have in common with the Souls-type games is it gives you a basic plot and doesn't really do anything with it. I've put in about 15 hours and nothing has really progressed in terms of plot. I have all these multiple paths, I end up killing a boss, but I'm not even sure why I needed to fight the boss or be in the area to begin with. I often get an obscure item where I'm not even sure if it's important for the area that I'm currently in, or that it's something that will be useful in a completely different area. Or maybe I get a prosthetic for my troubles, and that's it. Thanks. I spent 2-3 hours combing an area and dying repeatedly to get something that I'll rarely use. I can't even tell if I've completed everything that needs to be completed before I move on to the next area.

I suppose I could get into it more if there was some other hook outside of the challenge. These graphics aren't really up to snuff. They aren't bad. They are just so basic. Everything feels devoid of color, and the locations aren't that interesting. I'm not sure how Ghosts of Tsushima will turn out in terms of gameplay, but it's visual aesthetic has that pop that I'm looking for. I'm not even into Dark Souls really, but the Remastered edition looks so much better than this.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Yeah sure it's okay Jim, don't know why you make it into a video though...could've just tweet it out.

It's not like you're making a in-depth critique video, you are literally just explaining why you personally don't like it.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Except the parrying is not the same as it is Dark Souls. You're still blocking when you try to time parries in Sekiro, and the timing window for parries is generally generous.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Don't really think long videos is the best way to get clicks.
Yeah sure it's okay Jim, don't know why you make it into a video though...could've just tweet it out.
The whole video is him saying "I don't say it is a bad game but i'm saying that it's not for me" but in many ways.

I don't know why he made a video without some real content and explaining, this could've been just a Tweet.
I mean he does these Jimpression videos regularly, he plays a game and shares his thoughts on them in a video. That's what most gaming youtubers and journalists do. Should he only do videos about games he really likes or something?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game. Enjoyed it. It's my least favorite FROM game.

I love customization, fashion souls, online, and different builds. Sekiro just doesn't feel fun to explore.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is hilarious! Lol

I did, actually.

I've never really been a huge fan of Jim Sterling. I think he comes across as arrogant and pompous, but I know that some of that is just part of his shtick - but some of it isn't. He's more than welcome to not like a game that a lot of other people like - that's fine; but making a video just to explain why he doesn't like something while saying that he did like aspects of it was pointless. Also, I think he found it too difficult and isn't saying so in the video, as the difficulty is probably his main reason for disliking the game. Most of my friends don't like Sekiro and they cited the difficulty as the only reason they dont like it - even though they seem to like everything else about it.

Making content when you are a content creator is just pointless. Is this a galaxy brain take?

Then you go on to say

Also, I think he found it too difficult and isn't saying so in the video, as the difficulty is probably his main reason for disliking the game

So you didn't actually watch the video, because he says exactly that and covers why he thinks Sekiro comes across even harder than Souls games. In fact he probably spends about 3 minutes plus of the video talking about not being good at even the other Souls games, but because he was enjoying them, "gitting gud" happened, eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I can't take anyone that acts as if they were going to be constantly attacked for their opinion when there's a ton of people who will agree with them seriously.
*looks at thread*

Do you see how people are reacting after not even watching the fucking video?

I'm not sure if I can take you seriously given how we see even in this thread how sensitive gamers are about their precious. The guy doesn't even say anything meaningfully negative about the game and they're (1) complaining about the existence of the thread, (2) complaining that he needed to "git gud", (3) saying they'll never watch another Jim video.

Fuck outta here.

So you didn't actually watch the video, because he says exactly that and covers why he thinks Sekiro comes across even harder than Souls games. In fact he probably spends about 3 minutes plus of the video talking about not being good at even the other Souls games, but because he was enjoying them, "gitting gud" happened, eventually.
it's very obvious who didn't watch the video in here. verrrrrryyyyy obvious.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

It's not like you're making a in-depth critique video, you are literally just explaining why you personally don't like it.

He regularly makes impression videos. Why is he not allowed to make them but countless other Youtubers are?

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Making content when you are a content creator is just pointless. Is this a galaxy brain take?

Then you go on to say

I'm saying he didn't say the reason he didn't like this game is because it's too hard in the video. I'm well aware that he says that the game is hard in the video.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't really think long videos is the best way to get clicks.

"YouTube has been quietly shifting its recommendation system to reward lengthy videos."
https://mag.octoly.com/do-longer-videos-on-youtube-rank-higher-20d0a35ccd6d

Research backs up this claim. According to Statista, smartphone users spend 54 percent of their video-viewing time on videos over 20 minutes long. Gone are the days a six-second Vine video. People want longer videos and YouTube is ready to deliver them.
So what does this mean for creators? It's time to start creating longer videos. If you want to appear in YouTube's search then you will need to gradually start making your videos longer. This means doing more vlogs, more detailed tutorials, and more GRWM videos. All of these video formats tend to run long. Many influencers are beginning to approach their videos like mini TV shows with a clear narrative and a concise beginning, middle, and end specifically to add length to the videos. Most creators are shooting for the twenty-minute mark when it is all said and done.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
maybe he should practice the game more instead putting out such videos..."oh i don´t like a game, i must make a video about it" smh

He literally says in the video that he isn't having fun getting better so he doesn't see a point in getting better. This is a real issue for a lot of people.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying he didn't say the reason he didn't like this game is because it's too hard in the video. I'm well aware that he says that the game is hard in the video.

But he did say that was part of the reason, and the other main part being parrying isn't for him and he isn't having fun.

He specifically followed up that with the Sekiro difficulty he also felt some parts were a bit cheap, which is something most Souls fans think From Software has done a great job NOT doing. The difficulty is about being challenging, not being cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This game is built around parrying.
and in that context, it's perfectly understandable why someone who *doesn't and has never enjoyed parry gameplay* might not enjoy Sekiro personally while still recognizing it is a well-made game and enjoyable for people who do like that gameplay.

It's weird that so many are having trouble with that. But then...since it seems that about 1/3 of the thread even watched the video...well, here we are.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first couple of minutes, it was funny. I don't think I'll continue more, because I get his point.

I love Sekiro, but I can understand it won't appeal to some. The difficulty also steps up increasingly throughout the game, and is particularly demanding. Some say it's easier than Soulsborne, but for me, for example, having gotten to mid-game, this game makes Bloodborne seem like a walk in the park, including the DLC. I've found myself shaking after doing boss runs.

...I love it, but yeah, this game is not going to be for everyone.

As for the parrying thing...I don't really get why it puts people off, as it doesn't feel much different than, say, blocking and attacking at the right time, just mechanically deeper this time around, but that's okay. It's not a mechanic that will gel with everyone.

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely think we need to stop describing it as "parrying" when it's much closer to blocking in souls games, only with the added effect of perfect blocking.
But you are basically trying to achieve the same thing: To block/parry/deflect/whatever at the exact right moment to gain an advantage on your enemy.

I don't see why it's so much different. You are mechanically doing the exact same thing.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Actually the video describes what I have read and heard from others that are Souls fans but this game is not clicking. I still to this day after a few years of reading Sterling threads cannot get over the driveby anti Sterling or didn't watch the video posts.

Jun 26, 2018
But you are basically trying to achieve the same thing: To block/parry/deflect/whatever at the exact right moment to gain an advantage on your enemy.

I don't see why it's so much different. You are mechanically doing the exact same thing.
Except it's a whole lot less punishing than what parrying in souls games is like.

Parrying in souls games is something people try once or twice, and then decide it's completely unviable for them. and then they stick to blocking or dodging.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm in the same boat, and my reason is even more superfluous than anything he has:

I don't like the Sengoku Japan setting, I feel it is as played out as High Fantasy is in western games, and I just can't motivate myself to play through another game as a ninja or samurai with a katana.

That having been said from what I've seen this game looks like it hits all the right From Software notes and it does a lot of things really really well (the posture system seems most intriguing to me) so I hope it does well for all involved.
What Sengoku period game is good? Sekiro level good.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even hard to parry. Literally just keep tapping lb and you'll block everything that isn't a red move.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The biggest problem here is that lots of FROM players basically want to play Sekiro as another Souls game, but it doesn't work this way.

In fact, after BB and DkS III, an even faster game that limits the combat and offers a more consistent experience was the logical evolution for the company.

BB basically did a half-step: no weight, no ranged and no magic, but some weapons were clearly overpowered (or at least I felt this way, playing BB with the Ludwig sword felt like the easiest souls game by a wide margin) and now Sekiro does the full step, which makes the combat superior to any Souls game to me and the bosses can be better balanced.

The stealh is half-baked, multi-enemy combat is worse than ever, but the base of the game (1 vs 1 sword combat) is delightful, the art is on point and the world structure is the best FROM has delivered since Dark Souls 1.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
But he did say that was part of the reason, and the other main part being parrying isn't for him and he isn't having fun.

He specifically followed up that with the Sekiro difficulty he also felt some parts were a bit cheap, which is something most Souls fans think From Software has done a great job NOT doing. The difficulty is about being challenging, not being cheap.
It just feels to me that he should have just said "This game is too hard for me to overcome, so I don't like it even though I like other things about it." That's what I got from watching the video. And also him not liking the parrying makes it even more bizarre because the entire central basis of the combat system is parrying. There's nothing really cheap in the combat system as far as deaths go - if you've died, 99.9% of the time it's your own fault. There are a select few moves that bosses do however that track your movement and it's a little irritating; but even that requires a little more "getting gud" to overcome.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Except it's a whole lot less punishing than what parrying in souls games is like.

Parrying in souls games is something people try once or twice, and then decide it's completely unviable for them. and then they stick to blocking or dodging.
I agree to the first bit. It is indeed less punishing in Sekiro.

Whether people used parry once or twice and then forgot about it is a bit subjective, eh? Parrying in Souls and Bb was appealing enough that FromSoft decided to build a full game around this mechanic.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
this dude basically says the same sentence for 11 minutes "im not saying its not a good game, it just doesnt appeal to me"
Because if he doesn't make it perfectly clear he doesn't think it's bad, the fanboys will have a meltdown and attack him. See those who clearly haven't watched the video here saying they hate him.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
IMO Alot of Sekiro can be played like a Souls game. Ie, dodge/run and wait for an opening for one or two hits etc. You don't have to play aggressive with alot of deflects, but it certanly goes faster and is the preferred way if you get good at that. Some enemies like Genichiro on the Top will sorta force you to play aggressive with defects. But
But Emma, Isshin, O-rin, Monk etc
can be played like a Souls game.
So to say you don't like Sekiro, but Souls is hard to understand.

Jun 26, 2018
Hmm.. how so? Tapping L1 right at the correct moment is parrying, right?

They don't call it parrying in the game, but rather "deflecting".
If you don't let go you'll still deflect as long as you're not late, it just won't be a perfect deflect.

My approach is to always be holding down r1 and only letting go when I'm trying to go for perfect deflects, because then when I'm late I'll still deflect it in most cases.
I agree to the first bit. It is indeed less punishing in Sekiro.

Whether people used parry once or twice and then forgot about it is a bit subjective, eh? Parrying in Souls and Bb was appealing enough that FromSoft decided to build a full game around this mechanic.

I mean, you heard Jim himself mention he doesn't like "parrying gameplay", so I have to assume that he did what I did and pretty much forgot that parrying was thing for most souls games (even bloodborne)

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how much he talks down to his audience lol. "I don't like it, and thats fine! Okay guys? Don't get mad at me!" Just say why you don't like it and stop worrying about the responses.