• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Every game has its own way of playing it particular to what is expected, what are you talking about Sterling? You can use prosthetic tools as a substitution for bows and arrows if you do choose.

Besides..... You don't NEED to parry bosses to win, alot of bosses I have beaten had me wither them down if anything. You just have to get in there and be aggressive and not be afraid to get hit if all else fails.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game doesn't tell people to spam block, which honestly feels like a messy way to play the game. All it does is make you afraid of attacking. You ignore the posture meter which is key to winning fights.
Becuase you shouldnt spam block, in fact spamming parry lowers the window for a parry to be successful, which the game tells you. The game also does tell you how important perfect parry is and how it plays into posture. Also posture meter is super effected by be perfect parries so if you're playing defensively and not paying attention to posture bar, you're playing the game poorly. You also need to be offensive because most bosses will regain posture rapidly without you dealing vitality damage.

It amazes me how many people are complaining about this game that have no idea what they're talking about. Just like dark souls you need to learn how the game plays. That's even easier to do here because it straight up tells you all of this with pop up screens.

It was an honest suggestion. But I'm glad to amuse, after all all if I hadn't posted that we wouldn't have had your fabulous addition to the discourse.
Your first post in the thread was thread whining and then you have the gall to bemoan others contribution to the thread. Thats rich.

Last edited:

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 cuz I love that feeling of finally overcoming that obstacle. Beating a hard boss is like nothing else.

When I beat a boss in sekiro after going at it for 2 hours all I felt was, "that took me 2 hours. I couldve spent 2 hours doing anything else."

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
His main issues seem to be being forced to parry and the lack of character customization, yet he also says his favorite game ever is Bloodborne. Seems weird but hey, if the game didn't click with him that's fine.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
I've been enjoying the game but it's definitely incredibly difficult especially for me who is someone who tends to use the help available in souls games. The fact it's so difficult though makes it extremely rewarding when you progress.

I'd say my biggest complaint is there isn't a ton of reward for exploring. Glowing items in this game aren't exciting to find because they're usually just typical items. I loved the feeling of exploring in a souls game and finding a new weapon

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The game doesn't tell people to spam block, which honestly feels like a messy way to play the game. All it does is make you afraid of attacking. You ignore the posture meter which is key to winning fights.

The thing is, "spam block" doesn't mean literally just tapping block all the way, my fingers would get tired soon enough.

But what people would do is when they see an attack coming, tapping the block button 2-3 times usually results in a successful parry.

Nov 23, 2017
I thought the dual boss missions were harder than anything in souls games. Of course if souls had like actual dual bosses (I'm talking 2 separate bosses just paired together, not designed that way like Ornstein and Smough or something) then Souls would be much harder. Though granted the 2 boss missions kinda become a joke if you just use sloth. Since that basically allows you to pretty much kill a boss already.

I actually do agree with this. I honestly think that a good 90% of this game could be quite easily beaten by just parrying and an occasional attack. So many bosses just kill themselves if you parry it's actually insane. If you're not good at parrying or dislike the mechanic then there's just not that much in the game for you.
Oh man, hahahaha that's a joke. you either haven't played it or you're lying to sound good or knowledgeable

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll file this in with the Vanquish review and that's okay. I'd let the discourse maybe go for a year or so for people to really discover the tactics of playing the game.
You are liars if you tell me Demon's Souls was cracked in about a week, more like years for regular people.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, I just don't.
I really wish an admin or mod would explain.

Why can we not have?

Girlfriend Reviews |OT|
Jim Sterling |OT|
Angry Joe |OT|

As I said earlier in this topic, is bandwidth some sort of rare natural resource on Resetera? Is Donald Trump going to win 2020 if the gaming forum topic list seems really active and you might occasionally need to go to page 2?

Just stop whining. All of you. It's a forum and topics get made.

edit: Posted at the same time as the more diplomatic "Get on topic".

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not like that's some brave opinion that dare not be spoken. Lots of people on the podcasts I listen to have said they beat their head against the game until they hated it.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Honestly how I feel about every time a youtuber puts out a video and it gets a thread (Should your Boyfriend play this, Jim, etc.

How is it thread whining when every other YouTuber like kinda funny, giantbomb, etc get their own OTs so their fans can stay in one place and we don't have to see any titles from them yet with Sterling and Angry Joe and Donkey we get this every single time. Mods say oh report to the mods and when you do you don't get feedback or response, and now when you express your opinion in the thread you get banned or warned that you're threadwhining. Depends on the mods, I guess. Likely some are fans and don't like that other people complain about seeing Sterling's name on a thread title ever so often. It's borderline promotion when every tired, trivial video gets its own dedicated thread. At least with Angry Joe we only get a thread come review time (and even then why does his review not get lumped in the review thread for reasons unbeknownst to many) but with Sterling every piece of video whiteknighting and complaining about microtransactions we get a thread and it's an echo chamber of yeah Jim we agree yeah Jim the video is funny etc.

His fans for some reason don't want to make an OT idk for visibility maybe who knows.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
If someone had told me before Sekiro was announced that I would have close to zero interest in the next big FromSoft game, I would've called them crazy. From Software games were responsible for like, 60% of my gaming time in the last 8-9 years. Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are my favorite PS3 games, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 favorite PS4 games. Sekiro though, just leaves me cold.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the combat in Dark Souls, I also suck majorly at the game.

Sekiro clicked almost instantly with me and I had fun with it until the very end. I think I just like the parrying playstyle, probably ever since I played MGR:R.

I'm glad they're as different as they are, like siblings with just 1 of the same parent.
You should play Furi

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my biggest complaint about Sekiro is that there are
multiple instances where you have to fight one boss right after you just finished one.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love the game I get where Jim's coming from. I just find it funny From went out of their way doing everything short of hiring sky writers to say "this is not a Souls game" you think people would have believed them. Yet even on this site you still have people saying it's a Souls game then getting mad when it wrecks their shit.
This is why I don't like calling it a souls game. It's different in some very significant ways, enough that you might not enjoy this game if you like the other stuff. So don't want to give people the wrong idea about it.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it thread whining when every other YouTuber like kinda funny, giantbomb, etc get their own OTs so their fans can stay in one place and we don't have to see any titles from them yet with Sterling and Angry Joe and Donkey we get this every single time. Mods say oh report to the mods and when you do you don't get feedback or response, and now when you express your opinion in the thread you get banned or warned that you're threadwhining. Depends on the mods, I guess. Likely some are fans and don't like that other people complain about seeing Sterling's name on a thread title ever so often. It's borderline promotion when every tired, trivial video gets its own dedicated thread. At least with Angry Joe we only get a thread come review time (and even then why does his review not get lumped in the review thread for reasons unbeknownst to many) but with Sterling every piece of video whiteknighting and complaining about microtransactions we get a thread and it's an echo chamber of yeah Jim we agree yeah Jim the video is funny etc.

Different communities on Resetera might behave differently, news at 11. Some of those OT topics spur a community vibe because of the content creators/websites they are about. There's daily content and daily things to discuss.

Angry Joe and JS are more about the one-off videos people come to discuss and otherwise pretty much ignore these singular figures on other days. Not even all the AJ reviews might get posted, though the Jimquistion is usually done each week. But not all Jim's impressions get posted.

It's really not a problem. The only people who make it a "problem" are thread whiners. If you want to post something Giantbomb have created in a single topic, I'm sure you could. But none of you do. You come in here and whine without actually doing what you preach.

Go create the Jim Sterling OT then? .... "Oh, but I don't actually like him/don't watch his content so I'm not spending time doing that". So what, you're here just to whine?

It's beyond parody at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yea, I mean not every game — even from a developer and genre you typically like — will be for you in the end. Sometimes small changes can break what works for you.

Quite a few games I've played that just weren't for me, but that I could see were quite well made.

Never agreed with the guy, after this I might actually dislike him.
easy to tell who didn't watch the video, isn't it?

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, fuck no. Not every game is for everyone. The whole point of From games are to overcome challenge.
People need to realize if you don't have a lot gaming time you shouldn't play games that require hours of practice to beat just one boss.

There so many games I want to play but I don't have the time, so guess what? I move on and don't complain that the devs should cater their game to me.

Dont really see why an easy mode would change that. You don't want to play it like that? Don't use easy mode. Simple. Plenty of difficult games do this. (Celeste, Bayonetta, etc)

Being accessible to more people is not a bad thing.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
None of the really rigid fanboys of FS should really be surprised some of their biggest fans might simply not like this game. Get over yourselves...

yep. not sure why it comes as a surprise to so many that there're a lot of souls fans who just aren't that good at the games, but love them, anyway. for better or worse, sekiro has basically drawn a line between these 2 groups of fans. it's not complicated :) ...

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with Jim all the time but do a lot of the time. It's ok if you don't agree with Jim or whatever, but his video is him saying he doesn't like it and why he feels the way he does. He isn't wrong for not liking it or his reasons for not liking it.

I also don't really like Sekiro. Honestly, I got to the Corrupted Monk fight at the end of the shitty village and basically quit (in that at that point I just wanted to finish and used a cheat engine table to get to the end of the game, or at least get to an ending) Some fights I didn't need it on, clearing some areas I forgot it was on (set to not being able to die, living with 1hp) but managed to play through well enough keeping my HP in check and resting like normaly without my hp emptying out, other fights I'd try to just use it as a tool to get parrying timings done before trying for real but again, just wasn't enjoying it.

There were fights that were really good, like the Genichiro fight and some of the sub bosses but then there were enemies and bosses where it felt like you had to play exactly how they wanted to and you had to play it well and there never seemed like much of a ramp up with difficulty. Most of the time I ended up cheesing some of the harder fights or finding the easiest and cheapest way to win because I wasn't having fun. I wasn't getting better, and wasn't getting the timing down to parry the attacks and dying before I got into the rhythm.

And I know, the answer is "git gud", it always is with these hard games, but it really feels like before it was kind of a joke but not really (in that there were a lot of ways of getting good, like levelling up more, trying different weapons, going through the level slower so as not to get caught by surprise etc) here the getting good is really just "get better reactions".

Even when told "you don't have to perfect parry everything" you also get told to parry everything, because if you just block these big long multi hit combos your posture is just getting eaten. Really just not something I enjoyed. And I know, I'm a filthy casual who has only beaten DS1-3, DeS and BB (and some other "soulslikes") and obviously I'm not worthy of playing this masterpeice because I'm playing it wrong while also being bad at games and all that.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I feel it for Jim, I really really want to like this one but I can't. I don't seem to grasp the fucking deflect mechanic so I don't feel at all in control. Add the lack of any alternative to deal with enemies, no builds and meh levels and...well, I guess it's just not for me. And yeah, I need to git gud et al but I cba to master the one way the game wants me to play it as.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yep. not sure why it comes as a surprise to so many that there're a lot of souls fans who just aren't that good at the games, but love them, anyway. for better or worse, sekiro has basically drawn a line between these 2 groups of fans. it's not complicated :) ...

The gulf between "I completed Dark Souls 2 with a spoon" and "I'm really not good at the games and summon for every boss" is massive. Millions of people play these games. It's not just some elite cult sitting in the dark in a basement.

I've got the platinum for all the games, Demons, DS1~3 and I'm pretty good at Souls (edit - Bloodborne platinum too). Killed nearly all the bosses solo. I'm far from the best Souls player, but years and putting hundreds of hours into these games means I'm quite good.

My point? Sekiro appears to drastically change things up, so while in pre-release it was hyped up to be Soulslike, it's apparent in reviews it's not quite. The online and diversity have really gone and what is left might be for some FS/Souls fans, but not for others. That is okay, and that isn't just about elitism and rabid fanboys shouting "git gud". Some of us are pretty good, but the game just isn't for us or will be picked up when cheaper.

As someone who is invested in the Souls community, you're damn right I'm going to kick the beehive when "git gud" changes from a funny meme into the stupid fanboy wars and elitist bullshit rife in gaming. So I will be telling some people to get a grip if they get offended not everyone is drooling over Sekiro/The God Miyazaki.

Last edited:

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your first post in the thread was thread whining and then you have the gall to bemoan others contribution to the thread. Thats rich.

Yep, rich and full of gall that's me. Also, in the interest of technical correctness, the best kind of correctness, it wasn't others. It was just yours because "I laugh at your posts" is juvenile nonsense. Like they say, two shitposts dont make a right.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I've been enjoying the game but it's definitely incredibly difficult especially for me who is someone who tends to use the help available in souls games. The fact it's so difficult though makes it extremely rewarding when you progress.

I'd say my biggest complaint is there isn't a ton of reward for exploring. Glowing items in this game aren't exciting to find because they're usually just typical items. I loved the feeling of exploring in a souls game and finding a new weapon

Yeah, this is my only main complaint as well so far. Love exploring stuff.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Lara Dale's counter argument about this on Podquisition, i find the parry/deflecting in Sekiro to be much more generous than the other From Games, i didn't ever attempt to parry in Dark Souls, ever, the timing has to be perfect and it's such a huge risk.

In Sekiro the thrust parry can be performed pretty damn early, it doesn't have to be timed just right and he stomps on that fuckin spear and rips a huge chunk out of their posture. But i can definitely sympathize with his overall point that the game can be brutal, thankfully if you get stuck on a boss you can usually go somewhere else and come back later after acquiring new skills and practicing against the zombie samurai.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
He made valid points for himself. He's actually done a good job with an issue so many people that play games, even on era, continue to struggle with. You won't like every game. You not liking a game doesn't make it a bad game. You should be able to see why a game is good even if you don't like it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't like the Jimquisition - but that's okay!

Seems like he just isn't very good at Sekiro and got frustrated with it.
I think it's okay to recognize that a play style that has become a focal point in the combat in a new game could turn long-time players companies games off for this one, despite them understanding that the game is well made. If you like a certain kind of offensive and defensive option and a game goes away from them, it's fair to say a game isn't for you. No?

He made valid points for himself. He's actually done a good job with an issue so many people that play games, even on era, continue to struggle with. You won't like every game. You not liking a game doesn't make it a bad game. You should be able to see why a game is good even if you don't like it.
But them people on both sides of that coin would have to get over themselves. A game not being for you doesn't make it a bad game. At the same time, a game being for you but not for someone else doesn't mean they hate the game of think it sucks nor are they bad players that must "git gud ". Some very defensive people have posted in here.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dont really see why an easy mode would change that. You don't want to play it like that? Don't use easy mode. Simple. Plenty of difficult games do this. (Celeste, Bayonetta, etc)

Being accessible to more people is not a bad thing.

That is not the way the developer intended the game to be played, how hard is that to understand?

Not everything needs to be accessible.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I feel it for Jim, I really really want to like this one but I can't. I don't seem to grasp the fucking deflect mechanic so I don't feel at all in control. Add the lack of any alternative to deal with enemies, no builds and meh levels and...well, I guess it's just not for me. And yeah, I need to git gud et al but I cba to master the one way the game wants me to play it as.
Yep. The game tells you to "kill ingeniously". But that means only for the filler stealth sections. For bosses you basically have to learn the exact patterns down to milliseconds. I have been watching LobosJR's stream for the past week and it's a chore to see him struggle to learn the patterns. It doesn't really look fun at all. At least in Soulsborne you have some variety when approaching bosses.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, this game requires you to parry, and I'm the same, I absolutely hate parrying in games.

However, I think it's pretty different in sekiro. When you're about to parry, you're ideally holding the block button. If you mistime a parry, you're not punished for missing the window, you'll simply take a little bit of posture damage. I don't consider the parrying to be anything like Dark Souls as a result. It's basically more like Metal Gear Rising Revengence, but tuned slightly different.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
As a souls fan the game interests me zero percent now. I'm glad I waited for it to be released so I could find out more about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Jim brings up a good point relative to getting good, in that in order to do so, you need to be having fun with the game in the first place.
CammyCakes (legendary Destiny 2 PvP player) said the same thing very recently in a video where someone asked him for one tip to get better. It was exactly this. You're not going to get better at a game when you aren't having fun along the way. The motivation and environment doesn't exist for you to get better if you can't find a way to have fun.