• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been so fucking furious watching a Jim sterling video

"soulsborne games and sekiro"... uh, you mean sekiroulsborne games Jim? and you expect us to believe you're a fan?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: threadwhining
A thread for every video he puts out? We should just have a Sterling OT

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I love Sekiro. It's no Dark Souls III or Bloodborne but it's a great game.

It seems like the speed of the game is getting to him, and others. I think it's fine to miss the multiple styles of play that were offered in previous games.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol already we have thread whining and the superiority complex that anyone that might not like a FS game has to git gud.

As a huge Souls fanboy I've held off on this one myself. The online component being gutted sucked enough, but reading about it being less about builds and playing your own way and instead being quite rigid in its approach totally put me off.

Unashamedly I wanted another Souls game, and this is not it. Nioh 2 will deliver the aesthetic like this but with the gameplay I want (I hope).

None of the really rigid fanboys of FS should really be surprised some of their biggest fans might simply not like this game. Get over yourselves.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I like the game but I really dont like it as much as Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

I never like parrying either.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm unsurprised considering I always imagined one of the reasons Jim liked Souls was due to the customization of one's own character, both in build and fashion.

The lack of that in Sekiro is a well enough reason for a Souls player to be put off by it.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I also cant quite put my finger on it, but I loved Nioh, which got hard as nails as well, as well as the Souls games, and Sekiro is much more different in its approach for me to not really enjoy it that much.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
That's understandable, he explains it well in the video. I've also seen many people in the OP share the same sentiments.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unsurprised considering I always imagined one of the reasons Jim liked Souls was due to the customization of one's own character, both in build and fashion.

The lack of that in Sekiro is a well enough reason for a Souls player to be put off by it.

Fashion Souls and build customization are some of the best parts of Souls.

It's why Dark Souls 2 is actually a great game and had the best PVP for people who enjoy PVP. It was let down by some of its level design and gameplay decisions, but it had a wealth of customization and builds.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the title, but yeah definitely prefer Souls and Bloodborne to this. The switch to more aggressive playstyle compared to Soul's methodical patience is not my jam, but I am still going through the game. While in Souls not doing well and barely surviving a battle is rewarding, in here I've beaten plenty of bosses by the skin of my teeth and I just feel unfulfilled like I could have done better.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with jim, Nioh and Bloodborne are far better, But Sekiro is fantastic in it's own right if you prefer that playstyle.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Maybe the combat didn't click with him yet, I see that he is not reacting to the kanji attacks from the general, it takes a bit of practice to get used to the combat system.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm enjoying the game and I'm motivated to play it to the end but I agree with Jim (and that's quite rare) on this. I don't like how the game needs to be played in a certain particular way, with just a couple of exceptions, instead of pushing me into finding my own style to win.

Still a great game but I was expecting something partially different.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch the video because I don't want to be spoiled, (and I honestly don't really enjoy his content... and that's okay!) but from what I gather the dude whose shtick is to propagate outrage doesn't dig Sekiro but is totally cool with it being different from what he wanted? If so, some members here should be taking notes.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game yesterday and I absolutely love it. The combat is simply better than any souls but Sekiro stands on it's own.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yea feels more like Tenchu Souls with some Revengence flair... which isnt what most fans expect but I think it definitely stands apart from Soulsborne enough that it doesnt really need to be lumped in with them and doesnt guarantee you will like Sekiro just because you love Soulsborne. Having a great time though, tough but fair.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
It's a great game, but I share similar sentiments. Thought I would love it more than I do.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not terribly good at Sekiro, but I love it because it successfully marries two of my favourite things: stealth and Souls. Completely understand why it wouldn't be for some though. It's a spicier meatball than even From's other titles.

Mar 29, 2018
As a huge Souls fanboy I've held off on this one myself. The online component being gutted sucked enough, but reading about it being less about builds and playing your own way and instead being quite rigid in its approach totally put me off.

Unashamedly I wanted another Souls game, and this is not it. Nioh 2 will deliver the aesthetic like this but with the gameplay I want (I hope).

None of the really rigid fanboys of FS should really be surprised some of their biggest fans might simply not like this game. Get over yourselves.
Playing your own way is still MASSIVE I'm Sekiro. By mid game you still have like 50 gameplay and combat approaches for any given situation or boss. I've watched friends and streamers tackle bosses in ways I'd never dream of.

But this freedom is within a smaller scope - we're talking vast depth within a few systems, not vast breadth of many systems. Unlike Souls which was less depth at massive breadth of systems.

I was very disappointed there was no online functionality but honestly they've pivoted their design principles to compensate for that, to ensure it still feels communal and integrated with the culture, be it within the game and it's much more substantial story content or in the sharing/discussion around the game. Like the amount of secrets and hidden paths and gameplay tactics and vast areas with hidden routes/sections - the meta of being in a huge journey of discovery with other players is just as vibrant as ever.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More people needs to learn from this though. Especially on this forum.

Some games aren't for everyone.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I love the game I get where Jim's coming from. I just find it funny From went out of their way doing everything short of hiring sky writers to say "this is not a Souls game" you think people would have believed them. Yet even on this site you still have people saying it's a Souls game then getting mad when it wrecks their shit.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
I agree with Jim. I HATE parrying and Sekiro is that. I'm a roll and/or sheilds person. Plus the lack of character customization and online kind of sucks.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's simply not an RPG. From was pretty clear about it being more of an action game. I think he just needs to give it time to click, especially if he's going in expecting Souls. I had a bad time with combat at first because I was so used to dodging enemy attacks in Souls games. That doesn't really fly here. Dodging doesn't work the same way and the game wants you to reflect.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
will be hard going back to slow ass shitty easy mode soulsbourne game after sekiro. top of the game fo rmiyazaki. best game from has ever put out. we need sekiro 2 now.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting, I'm in the exact opposite boat (not a big Souls fan, but like Sekiro because of it's action game influence).

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Like Jim says, it's OK to not like Sekiro. It's a great game but it's clearly not for everyone.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It took 19 hours for the game to click with me btw, I was mostly hating my time before that but glad I stayed with it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he even says it's a great game. Just not for him. I absolutely get this game not clicking with a large swath of people.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
No.
It's not okay.
How could someone not like the game I like!
ONLY A MONSTER COULD DO SUCH A THING!!
THIS IS NOT OKAY!!
giphy.gif

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
More people needs to learn from this though. Especially on this forum.

Some games aren't for everyone.

I realised lately that as I get older it's impossible to like everything or play everything (it was God of War that tipped me over the edge here), and I actually find it really hard to get out of this mindset. I would have rushed out and bought Sekiro without even thinking about it even a year ago, but all I've managed in Souls is an hour of DS Remastered, so it would just sit on the shelf or the digital library forever. I do want to give Bloodborne a go eventually though.

I have a lot of friends that enjoy the Souls genre, and they're mostly loving Sekiro even through the difficulty. Which is good, because speaking as someone who bought a yearly Origin Premier sub for Anthem, it'd suck to wait for ages for something and then have it not deliver.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Honestly I'm in the same boat, and my reason is even more superfluous than anything he has:

I don't like the Sengoku Japan setting, I feel it is as played out as High Fantasy is in western games, and I just can't motivate myself to play through another game as a ninja or samurai with a katana.

That having been said from what I've seen this game looks like it hits all the right From Software notes and it does a lot of things really really well (the posture system seems most intriguing to me) so I hope it does well for all involved.