• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's ironic that I'm coming here to complain but this really feels like we're letting the whiners win. Jim often covers very important topics that benefit from separate, visible threads.

Oct 29, 2017
So... basically, the publishers have won?

This is a shit idea and will just end up ensuring that his commentary gets buried... It's exactly what the big publishers want to happen...

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I think it's fair to see how things go, see how the threads for Jimquisitions and expose style videos go, how the moderation handles the situations, etc

However I'm sure at least initially we are still gonna see people pop their head in here to explain how happy they are that they can ignore the thread lol

Cugel

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 7, 2017
Always felt slightly disturbed by his red/black with wings imagery. Glad he dropped it. It was.... an odd choice to say the least.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Always felt slightly disturbed by his red/black with wings imagery. Glad he dropped it. It was.... an odd choice to say the least.

I agree. I liked their attention to detail about having a visual aesthetic, that one was not good. But this carnival freakshow one is way better.

Plus I adore the pink.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Some rules:
  1. Please no drive by posts.
  2. At least watch the videos first before critiquing on them.
  3. Criticising and disagreeing with Jim's thoughts and opinions is fine, but please don't go into "He does it for clicks" or "I can't stand Jim (yet I'm here every week)" style posts that bring nothing to the conversation. Also don't lie about Jim has said and done.
  4. Please no passive aggressive, generalized and personal attacks on other uses.
In favour of an OT just for this... This gets so annoying every thread.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Well, since it seems like Jimquisition threads are allowed...

Time to break these Chains of Love

PracticalSmartBinturong-size_restricted.gif

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
If Jimquistion videos still get their own thread, then I'm pretty happy with having an OT. It would be nice to have a spot for the smaller stuff. There is way too much industry BS that needs to get brought up to shelve it here.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Watching this for his smaller videos. But I hope his important topics don't get buried because people who claim how unimportant he is show up in every thread to bring attention to him.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
i just want to say I love his review work. I miss his written reviews. his Jimpressions are my fav videos cause they are basically reviews.

as much as i love his industry coverage, i respect him as a critic too.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will this be a place to discuss Jim and his videos in general? Will there be separate threads posted for each new video? Because I am fine with new threads being made for the videos.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of like the separate threads, as it helps me to remember when he makes a new video.

Still its nice to have a community thread as well.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I like Jim in spurts I've found. Sometimes I just like to be happy and excited about games which doesn't match his cynicism. Other times I wanna feel like I'm supporting devs and hating on pubs, so I watch a lot of his vids - most recently that was around ubi, TLOU2 release

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Idk man. Isn't isolating his videos to a singular thread basically gonna be Jim preaching to the choir.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Idk man. Isn't isolating his videos to a singular thread basically gonna be Jim preaching to the choir.
To quote myself from earlier today.
That said for now the general rule of thumb will likely be Jimquesitions can and will continue to get their weekly threads and Jimpressions and other side projects of Jim's can be collected here or be discussed in the relevant review threads. This policy is not set in stone and we will see how this develops.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Jim has been on a tear lately, in my view. I know some folks got red over his Avengers impressions, but I'm glad he's out there saying this shit. I relate to it pretty heavily.

Also, is the quadruple-A thing real? I completely missed that and am still in shock. It can't be, right?

Right?

Right?

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
I really dig Jim's work.
Although I'm not a big fan of his game reviews, his games industry takes are excellent and always on point.

And gosh, I lol hard with commentocracy! It's genius!

Commentocracy

NSESN

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how hard he will go on Nintendo this time
Because this doesnt even seem like Nintendo being greedy, just being idiots

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I wonder how hard he will go on Nintendo this time
Because this doesnt even seem like Nintendo being greedy, just being idiots

Probably really hard. Not on the 3D Collection itself, but probably from the angle of it being time-limited. He's talked shit about Nintendo's tendency to create artificial scarcity before.

NSESN

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Probably really hard. Not on the 3D Collection itself, but probably from the angle of it being time-limited. He's talked shit about Nintendo's tendency to create artificial scarcity before.
I mean I dont even agree with artificial scarcity thing, I think nintendo really misreads the market sometimes and hip less than necessary, but I am not sure how being limited will bring them more money, a mario collection would be an evergreen for sure. For me it just looks like a movie that limits their own capability to create money while limiting the access of the game for the fans.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I mean I dont even agree with artificial scarcity thing, I think nintendo really misreads the market sometimes and hip less than necessary, but I am not sure how being limited will bring them more money, a mario collection would be an evergreen for sure. For me it just looks like a movie that limits their own capability to create money while limiting the access of the game for the fans.

Yeah re-reading my original statement makes it sound like I'm saying they do it on purpose and I didn't mean to come across as that. They just have a tendency to do so if NES/SNES Classics and the way they treat their old library are anything to go by and I just don't understand why they keep leaving money on the table lol

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ok, but meanwhile we have like six different threads that relate to Mario products that came from the same Direct thread. And we also get a different thread every time Digital Foundry breathes. And every time Epic vs Apple updates we have threads on both gaming and general.

It's funny how jimquisitions / impressions are the breaking point of quality but not the "PC's cost $3k" thread we had recently or any of the other console war threads that go 10+ pages haha

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Nice, we are graced with an OT as well as separate threads for their content. More Jim for everyone.

My favorite title for the podcast is Raphael's Cheesy Christmas Meat.

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
It's funny how jimquisitions / impressions are the breaking point of quality but not the "PC's cost $3k" thread we had recently or any of the other console war threads that go 10+ pages haha
Or the 50+ pages thread about Dr Disrespect's "disappearance".

Anyway, I think this OT + Jimquisition weekly threads is a good compromise. I also hope it'll include many memes and gifs.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
I don't understand this thread without pictures of Willem Dafoe and Jonathan Holmes' lovely chungus, I need guidance

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Creating more granularity in moderation is hustling backwards since community engagement handles that for you. It's always tricky business trying to determine what is and isn't "relevant," because it's fundamentally subjective.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
We thought it was Cory Doctorow, but it was Jim in the balloon this whole time, wasn't it?