• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think this forum's propensity for making huge mega threads so things get buried is a bad thing. It takes one click next to a thread to ignore any thread you see that you don't like. Forcing people to subscribe to and follow dozens of threads that often contain pages and pages of chat room content between major relevant content releases is awful.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think this forum's propensity for making huge mega threads so things get buried is a bad thing. It takes one click next to a thread to ignore any thread you see that you don't like. Forcing people to subscribe to and follow dozens of threads that often contain pages and pages of chat room content between major relevant content releases is awful.

Not to mention that, to be entirely honest, OTs aren't exactly very welcoming. They usually become siloed and then eventually factioned discussions that it can be very hard to break into after they've been going for a while.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Look, not every thought that comes out of Jim's head needs its own thread. Do we need a thread on his thoughts on the new Avenger's game? Probably not.

If he makes a threadworthy video on a serious subject then the video can get its own thread, but his reviews and such don't need individual threads. Which is what we're getting now and that's really not good or fair.
Ok, but meanwhile we have like six different threads that relate to Mario products that came from the same Direct thread. And we also get a different thread every time Digital Foundry breathes. And every time Epic vs Apple updates we have threads on both gaming and general.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
So we're going to have this thread that gets bumped every now and again before it gets exiled to hangouts, and people will still make an individual thread for every video he makes.

I guess if it makes people feel better.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I hope we keep having specific threads for Jim's topics/videos. Putting everything in a single thread isn't ideal.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but meanwhile we have like six different threads that relate to Mario products that came from the same Direct thread. And we also get a different thread every time Digital Foundry breathes. And every time Epic vs Apple updates we have threads on both gaming and general.

And at least four "Game Pass is cool you guys!" threads at any given time.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Look, not every thought that comes out of Jim's head needs its own thread. Do we need a thread on his thoughts on the new Avenger's game? Probably not.

If he makes a threadworthy video on a serious subject then the video can get its own thread, but his reviews and such don't need individual threads. Which is what we're getting now and that's really not good or fair.
If and when a new thread is made for a "bigger video," it will be filled with pages of lawyering about whether this video counts as a Bigger Video and a bunch of people saying Maybe You Should Put This One In The OT, because the reality is that there are people who just don't want to see his content at all, and this is just appeasement for them.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If and when a new thread is made for a "bigger video," it will be filled with pages of lawyering about whether this video counts as a Bigger Video and a bunch of people saying Maybe You Should Put This One In The OT, because the reality is that there are people who just don't want to see his content at all, and this is just appeasement for them.
Then we'll smack em when they do it.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair Jim is quite prolific, and we thought that a continually updated thread title would stop Jim weekly topics getting constantly derailed. Yes, people can ignore it, but we give people the tools to ignore topics they aren't interested in (rather than derail them) anyway.

Jim's topics often have news value, and to me that means they stay in gaming. This is less of a community and more a way of organising regular topical opinion pieces by one creator.

I'll raise these points with the rest of the staff though.
You stop people from being ignorant jackasses by moderating their foolishness, not giving into it. This is beyond silly.

That's nonsense though. It's been more than fine for years and many posters prefer it. I don't care for this trend where you just talk past everyone who's saying they don't like the change, which isn't really out of the norm in these situations. If people can't control themselves with the meta commentary, then action it. Community used to actually discuss these kinds of things, now whoever just decided and that's what it is? Poor show imo.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I learn towards preferring how it was before, for the reasons a lot of people have flagged, but it's worth giving the OT a chance

If it doesn't go well then at least there is a feedback thread now

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You stop people from being ignorant jackasses by moderating their foolishness, not giving into it. This is beyond silly.

That's nonsense though. It's been more than fine for years and many posters prefer it. I don't care for this trend where you just talk past everyone who's saying they don't like the change, which isn't really out of the norm in these situations. If people can't control themselves with the meta commentary, then action it. Community used to actually discuss these kinds of things, now whoever just decided and that's what it is? Poor show imo.
Again, continue making threads for videos on important issues. If he makes a video on bad labor practices or something, make the thread and we'll ban anyone that whines about it.

Nov 4, 2017
I just wanted to take the opportunity to say that I really respect Jim's courage in being so open about the exploration of his gender and sexual identity, and his mental health challenges. It takes a lot of character and bravery to be so upfront about these things in a culture so full of bigotry and straight up Nazis. Not all heroes wear capes... But this one does quite frequently.

Also I generally agree with what he's got to say about the industry, and enjoy his wacky characters and regular gags. I can't read "Triple A" without hearing it in a Jim Sterling voice in my head. What a crack up.

Also if I'm using the wrong pronoun, I'm happy to fix it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, continue making threads for videos on important issues. If he makes a video on bad labor practices or something, make the thread and we'll ban anyone that whines about it.

So who is the arbiter of what constitutes an "important issue"?

Virtually every Jimquisition is about industry practices. Are we now ranking them in order of importance?

Horrible precedent.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I just wanted to take the opportunity to say that I really respect Jim's courage in being so open about the exploration of his gender and sexual identity, and his mental health challenges. It takes a lot of character and bravery to be so upfront about these things in a culture so full of bigotry and straight up Nazis. Not all heroes wear capes... But this one does quite frequently.

Also I generally agree with what he's got to say about the industry, and enjoy his wacky characters and regular gags. I can't read "Triple A" without hearing it in a Jim Sterling voice in my head. What a crack up.

Also if I'm using the wrong pronoun, I'm happy to fix it.

Double checked Jim's twitter and its " He/They/Anything. Pansexual Gendertrash. " from the profile

And I agree!!! Very proud

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I don't understand the benefit we've gained by having people banned for derailing for one reason to having people banned for derailing for another reason.

It appears that all we've done is partially muzzle Jim Sterling with this OT, which was created in response to somebody that was banned for three weeks for derailing Jim Sterling threads. I can say with confidence that Video Games Are Dumb is viewing this thread currently and is satisfied knowing that Era reached a compromise with his desire to fully deplatform Jim Sterling. If I'm him, I'm viewing this thread as a win.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't understand the benefit we've gained by having people banned for derailing for one reason to having people banned for derailing for another reason.

It appears that all we've done is partially muzzle Jim Sterling with this OT, which was created in response to somebody that was banned for three weeks for derailing Jim Sterling threads. I can say with confidence that Video Games Are Dumb is viewing this thread currently and is satisfied knowing that Era reached a compromise with his desire to fully deplatform Jim Sterling. If I'm him, I'm viewing this thread as a win.
There is no intention among staff to muzzle Jim Sterling, that insinuation is just silly. Most of us actually like their output.

That said for now the general rule of thumb will likely be Jimquesitions can and will continue to get their weekly threads and Jimpressions and other side projects of Jim's can be collected here or be discussed in the relevant review threads. This policy is not set in stone and we will see how this develops.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
There is no intention among staff to muzzle Jim Sterling, that insinuation is just silly. Most of us actually like their output.

That said for now the general rule of thumb will likely be Jimquesitions can and will continue to get their weekly threads and Jimpressions and other side projects of Jim's can be collected here or be discussed in the relevant review threads. This policy is not set in stone and we will see how this develops.
Ok that's fair. I'm down with that.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. I don't really care for the amount of OTs era has begun to relegate everything to. I won't dig through them personally and don't enjoy them. I don't find them easy to keep up with personally.
That's not the main problem though. Not only is this a horrible precedent but it clearly doesn't involve the community's input other than the clown who couldn't help himself and got banned. That aside, we now have who knows who determining what videos are and aren't relevant. Community engagement will do that on its own. No time to fuss about it all day, so that's all I'll say on it atm. Will just see how things go moving forward.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yall could've just said "Jimquisitions will still get their own threads, this is for more general jimpressions/reviews/etc. stuff", you know

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Jim got his own OT 😄

That seems like a good compromise at the moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Good to see Jim get an actual OT, have to admit I felt that this was pandering to those likely to complain he gets threads for his videos but if the Jimquisitions still get their own threads then that should work well.

That meltdown thread tho, phew

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
The haters have their wish. Let it be. I'm sick of their moaning.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Well alright I guess.

Guess we'll just have to settle with Era's unique version of, "Keep your politics out of my video games." when it comes to individual titles.

The latest Avengers Jimpressions vid leans heavy into the trouble with GaaS. But as long as we're burying it here and shielding Marvel fans from having to consider these topics I guess that's cool.

Thanks for keeping unique Jimquisition vids up either way. :)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If Jimquisitions still get their own threads that will be hilarious

All those people asking for Jim to get an OT because they're sick of him will now have to deal with Jimquisition threads and an OT that is forever being bumped

Where is your God now?

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I think if this site had "subtitles", filled with the latest threadmark, that you could see from the main page then mega threads could be useful.

Until then new threads it should be.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
If Jimquisitions still get their own threads that will be hilarious

All those people asking for Jim to get an OT because they're sick of him will now have to deal with Jimquisition threads and an OT that is forever being bumped

Where is your God now?
Well, this thread being bumped is no problem, because you can always hit that ignore button, which is what most people that complained wanted.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Awe man. I loved seeing a new Jim thread pop up and stirring shit up on here. Was great.

Hi Jim Sterling OT!

Couple of bits of admin- if you want the thread title changed at any time to reflect the latest video, we can put that in brackets at the end so
The Official Jim Sterling Thread [up: latest video title]
Just report the first post and we can do that.

Also, any actual reviews can still go in review threads.

On a personal note I was hoping for
Jim Sterling: Thank God For |OT| :-)

Though if this can be as effective then sure I guess

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yall could've just said "Jimquisitions will still get their own threads, this is for more general jimpressions/reviews/etc. stuff", you know
Looks like my post earlier suggesting that only some Jimquisitions would get a thread was wrong- this was my mistake, sorry about that everyone.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
User Banned (3 Days): Drive by trolling
Thanks OP. The thread titles alone for his videos here at Era over the years seemed overly pretentious, so I never bothered to enter them. Now I can simply ignore this single thread entirely.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like my post earlier suggesting that only some Jimquisitions would get a thread was wrong- this was my mistake, sorry about that everyone.
It's fine. Sorry if I was super curt in my post to you earlier. Never a good idea to post right after work starts lol.
Thanks OP. The thread titles alone for his videos here at Era over the years seemed overly pretentious, so I never bothered to enter them. Now I can simply ignore this single thread entirely.
Why come into the thread you plan to ignore to let everyone know you plan to ignore it? You could have just not been negative and ignored it from the start, lol.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Jim makes a lot of videos that don't get separate threads made about. For those I'm okay with them just being in this thread, but we should still have separate threads for some of the more hard hitting videos, like his take on Avengers. I thought that video was great! We need more eyes on it!

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure why you think I'm saying every thought needs its own thread? Like I spelled out in my post that you quoted, I'm think a central OT for his Jimpressions and lesser videos (ie: his non-Jimquisition stuff) is good and gets rid of the fluff. But to enforce all of his videos--Jimquisitions included--under one OT seems like it just stifles his message. Threadworthy Video means different things to different users, mods, or admins.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Jim is one of my favorites to binge watch. Actually, I need to catch up. Haven't had much YT time lately.