• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Rewatched Jim's Avengers video again and there something I've thought about, For years, long before ERA was thing there was critique of Lootboxes and microtransactions (more so the latter nowadays) that their needed in order to support big updates and and new characters and the like and would you prefer to go back to expansions (or in Fighting games, having to buy the game again). I remember how people furiously defended Overwatch with this defence.

The thing is, yes? In the case of Fighting games, it feels like it was actually cheaper buy the game again compared the sheer cost and amount of DLC some of them have now and in the case of Street Fighter V, just cheaper to wait before the release and updated version with most of that free, same with GOTY editions of Warner Bros games or with games like Control which you can end up being screwed over if you bought the more expensive initial version. Also if going back to expansions meant the games were less grindy, less menu ridden and had in-game cosmetic rewards more often, then yes, I would near universally prefer that.

That also goes into the discussion of do all these games need to be constantly updated or live service based, the recent Avengers game seems to be an example where it would have been better as a game if it was a 10-20 hour single player game with classic expansion/DLC based updates then a live service one. But I'm meaning even further then that, do some games need to continue beyond the base games, should games be allowed to have natural end points like many movies and novels? Of course the issue is that Companies like Activision and Ubisoft don't want that... Or Hollywood in general to be honest, better to be open ended that also leads to why the loss of the smaller mid tier level games was a big one for allowing games like that.

The problem is, these huge online GaaS titles are not new anymore, it's a tried and tested formula. So if you want to push one out, it better be absolutely mind blowing or it will just be "another one of those"

Is the gameplay, plot and progression of Avengers a quantum leap above the Division 2, Destiny 2, or any of the other massive online games?

If not, then yeah it's kind of "another one of those"

Anthem was decent in terms of gameplay, but it was just another huge GaaS title with repetitive missions and not enough content

Maybe the Avengers IP is enough to keep most people on board, but if you've dumped 100 hours in several giant GaaS online MP/co-op titles before, then yeah, it's just another one of those. It could well get patched and new content and end up being the best in it's genre, but it's also pretty easy to see why some people think it's boring as of right now

ara

Oct 26, 2017
cool, but i think that catering to people that get upset over Jim criticizing beloved companies because they have shitty practices or treat their employees like shit is not a good idea, there still should be seperate threads for his bigger videos at least.

Don't even particularly care about Jim or their content, but I'm gonna have to agree with this. Megathreads are a terrible idea for anything that's not a video game OT or community type just-hang-out-and-shoot-the-shit thread. Shit is just gonna get buried and the discussion muddled, even with the seemingly good ideas like title updates and threadmarks.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
This feels weird stupid. His Jimquisitions should have thier own thread (if they bring up shitty business practices as they usually do), but his Jimpressions and other smaller vids might fit well here. His topics are usually important to talk about and thus warrant seperate threads. If we want to make "negative" topics that Jim brings up easily ignoreable by having them in a master thread, why not have a megathread with all negative stuff (Lab Zero games, Rocksteady allegations, Blizzard banning free speech, etc.) so that people can ignore the evil of the industry?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, nah. I'd have been fine with a megathread to talk about the various other things Jim does like Podquisition and wrestling and all that, but this is (currently) a shite compromise to folk who are usually just mad at their favourite developer being criticised.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, nah. I'd have been fine with a megathread to talk about the various other things Jim does like Podquisition and wrestling and all that, but this is (currently) a shite compromise to folk who are usually just mad at their favourite developer being criticised.

Agree. Is this the reaction to Videogame Are Dumb's little hissy fit yesterday?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is this where we talk about The Ancestral Trail?

3W6AqF_3bEGgWMvwnz7hy_AFyp-vw2vySwF4FbBARoJ5yQkRWYO2-bg5EZb3BtR3VkIZ8uyzati_kZa3AqqYxNh7WnqlmR-xIMgzowlYarKdMzIsiSdyBSqdOq8_nyvC4ui1ezOZLr8NAxhD1dp1OCgk3w
Holy shit... thank you so much!

I saw this image in a Sterling video, and I remembered it from the books I used to read... but before I could look it up I forgot which video it was on and the name of the book has been bugging me for months now.

You are a hero.

PS - The Ancestral Trail was awesome!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
This feels weird stupid. His Jimquisitions should have thier own thread (if they bring up shitty business practices as they usually do), but his Jimpressions and other smaller vids might fit well here. His topics are usually important to talk about and thus warrant seperate threads. If we want to make "negative" topics that Jim brings up easily ignoreable by having them in a master thread, why not have a megathread with all negative stuff (Lab Zero games, Rocksteady allegations, Blizzard banning free speech, etc.) so that people can ignore the evil of the industry?
Yeah this literally just benefits all the people who threawhine about Jim bringing to light the horrible stuff ND does or Ubi do, the laughable stuff Mr. Man in The Arena himself aka Troy Baker posts and so on. General abuse in the industry or just shitty practices I currently can't think of.

Changing the thread title is not gonna have the same effect and is toothless.

I'd implore the mods to reconsider, this isn't even a hard topic or something you need to fight the users on like the OT stuff that's been going on.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, every time I see this thread on the front page I read "thread" as "dead" and get a little heart attack. If this thread is a thing could it at least be renamed to "Jim Sterling OT"?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit... thank you so much!

I saw this image in a Sterling video, and I remembered it from the books I used to read... but before I could look it up I forgot which video it was on and the name of the book has been bugging me for months now.

You are a hero.

PS - The Ancestral Trail was awesome!

Live pic of me coming to your aid

Ancestral%20Trail%20-%20Richard%20and%20Orkan%20Escape.jpg

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
I do enjoy Jim's content. Regarding the avengers game I completely agree with most of his points it just isn't anything mind blowing when there are other better super hero games such as Spider-Man and the Arkham series, and there are other (arguably all rubbish based on the sheer principle) better GaaS games. I appreciate people enjoy it and think it's good and that's wholeheartedly up to them however I'm voting with my wallet and Avengers is primarily a cash grab.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still chuckling thinking about that person making a thread to ban Jim Sterling from era because he was "too negative" which somehow equates to someone like Angry Joe being a sexist, transphobic idiot.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah this literally just benefits all the people who threawhine about Jim bringing to light the horrible stuff ND does or Ubi do, the laughable stuff Mr. Man in The Arena himself aka Troy Baker posts and so on. General abuse in the industry or just shitty practices I currently can't think of.

Changing the thread title is not gonna have the same effect and is toothless.

I'd implore the mods to reconsider, this isn't even a hard topic or something you need to fight the users on like the OT stuff that's been going on.

I think it could work if the thread is left in gaming with the title change

People who get mad at Jim and whinge about him see his threads on gaming and pop in to have a meltdown already, so they'd still be seeing the OT and the title of his current video on the gaming side

It just means the handful of posters who sincerely wish to be able to ignore all his content will be able to do so

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I think it could work if the thread is left in gaming with the title change
I'm just gonna disagree, seeing an OT with the title of a video added on is never gonna have the same effect as seeing a designated thread for the current topic.

edit: I said my piece btw, don't wanna shit up the thread for people who want to use it for actual content, if any of you boglins has anything more to say they can PM me.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I have mixed feelings on this. I think this thread will serve well to be a source to discuss all things Jim Sterling, especially the Jimpressions and smaller videos that don't get posted here. Despite popular belief, far less than everything Jim makes gets posted here.

That said, Jim makes a ton of content that relates to current industry practices and stories that are fresh in the news and that require a bright light shone upon them. It's well-known that his content makes people feel uncomfortable, because he's willing to criticize the corporations, studios, and IPs that people have attached their personal identity onto (we saw how pressed Video Games Are Dumb got).

So sure, I'm ok with the catch-all thread. What I'm not ok with is that this has the potential to insulate ResetEra from one of the more important voices in the industry at the moment. When everything gets funneled into the same thread, standout moments and content gets watered down because many people might miss it being posted altogether.

As I said yesterday:
I've got $5 that says that he's writing up a Jim Sterling OP on the gaming side to steer conversation there.
Turns out somebody went ahead and did it on his behalf.

Last edited:

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They are probably going to end up in here, and covered by a thread title change to flag up the topic of the Jimquistion currently being discussed and a threadmark to archive it. However, if it's a vital news story Jim is breaking that extends way beyond his video, has other sources etc, I can see an argument for 'new news, new thread'. Obviously we don't want to bury vitally important stuff that can stand on its own. If it's something extremely important, then give us a shout.

His opinion pieces are going to stay in here for now though, covered by threadmarks and a title change. At least for now- let's see how this plays out in terms of facilitating discussion, we can always come back to it. I'm a fan of Jim's work myself and agree with those saying that he often covers important angles on things.

Not going to lie, I think this is really disappointing. Certainly feels like giving into the whiners and babies from that avengers thread who got banned. Surely the whole point of the ignore thread feature is for those people to use it?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand a central thread to discuss Jimpressions or lesser videos, but burying all the Jimquisitions in one thread just seems like a cop-out by the mod so they won't have to stress over modding so many heated threads, as opposed to them thinking "yeah that makes sense". Thank god for Jim. I'm disappointed with this decision all the same.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
cool, but i think that catering to people that get upset over Jim criticizing beloved companies because they have shitty practices or treat their employees like shit is not a good idea, there still should be seperate threads for his bigger videos at least.

Agreed. Their voice is much needed in this industry & the fact that one of the most progressive people in the industry shouldn't be able to get separate threads for bigger videos on a "progressive" forum just because some people don't like them & their opinions & the way they convey them is just... weird.

Also, OP, I don't know if you'd be up for it, but maybe you could add to the OP that Jim is non-binary and open to all pronouns? :0 I know most cis people will just continue using nothing but he/him because it's either the most convenient for them or they're just plain ignorant, but as someone who's also non-binary & goes by both she/her & they/them & almost exclusively gets called she/her it's just disheartening. When we say "we're okay with all/multiple pronouns" it does not mean "please just continue using the pronouns you did when you thought I was cis & never ever think about the other pronouns" but rather "please mix it up". Hell, I only have they/them in my profile here & in other places because I am sick of people exclusively using she/her for me.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No, well, the issue is that they don't ignore threads at all, they just enter and whine and derail until they take over the conversation.

It's pretty annoying, and it drowns perfectly valid discussion about relevant topics

I think people will still do that to be fair. You could tell a lot of people hate watch him, and even more just pop in to say they disagree and don't like Jim, 18 mins after the 31 min long video was posted

If the OT is still always around the front page and people can see the name of their beloved IP/Company in the title, they'll be in to shitpost same as they always are

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Is the gameplay, plot and progression of Avengers a quantum leap above the Division 2, Destiny 2, or any of the other massive online games?
This is the main problem here - at least for me. Division 2 and Destiny 2 are among the best playing games in their genres (FPS and Third-Person-Cover-Shooter), while Avengers is a mediocre 3d-brawler that has been done better many times.

Skid 4

Jan 18, 2018
Happy about Jim finally getting an OT! Because he's ther hero the Game Industry deserves, but not the one it needs right now

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
The idea for an OT is a decent one with some of his video game impression vids and the like, but overall this is just a terrible move. We need MORE exposure to bad practices in the video game industry, not less. Having a "one thread catch-all" doesn't do this, and actually encourages the people whining about Jim(and supporting these bad practices, because why else do they enter EVERY SINGLE THREAD to complain about him) to just ignore the thread and never see it again.

I mean, that's what you want to do to encourage discussion: Put it in one very easily ignorable place.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I disagree with this notion. Two threads would go over like a rock. Take him as a whole, please. Segregating his industry criticism work would do everyone a disservice and provide a nice tidy little place for people to point to and say "SEEE all his stuff is NEGATIVE" because, as has been well covered, the negative generates far more engagement, allowing detractors to conveniently ignore everything else. So thanks but no.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Really not a fan of a singular thread. This forum needs to see the side of the industry he covers no matter how uncomfortable it makes people feel about supporting their favourite companies.

This is how I feel too. There aren't enough people shining a light on what putrid garbage the gaming industry has become lately, and I'm not particularly interested in sitting on my hands and waiting around for Jason Schreier to have chosen to cover a topic so that we can talk about it and signal boost it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool.

Now all criticism of toxic industry practices can get deplatformed, buried and forgotten here.

I didn't want to have to think about these issues associated with my favorite "AAA" video games anyway.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is how I feel too. There aren't enough people shining a light on what putrid garbage the gaming industry has become lately, and I'm not particularly interested in sitting on my hands and waiting around for Jason Schreier to have chosen to cover a topic so that we can talk about it and signal boost it.
Cool.

Now all criticism of toxic industry practices can get deplatformed, buried and forgotten here.

I didn't want to have to think about these issues associated with my favorite "AAA" video games anyway.
This thread is a convenient solution for people who want to bury their head in the sand and not be bothered to care about anything real that's happening in the industry.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
The thread is just something so people who don't give a **** to awful practices in the industry can continue ignoring these issues.

this thread is cool to discuss impressions, r eactions and other non-important stuff. But all the jimquisition stuff about workers abuse in the industry, bad practices as a whole should be in its own thread

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm all for posting about Podquisition and Jimpressions here but, even for his faults, Jim is one of the few journalists or pundits (or whatever arbitrary name you wanna describe him as) who commits to going hard on companies for bad practices. And rightly so.

Whether you agree or not I don't like the idea of hiding all his important videos in this thread because a few posters threw a hissy fit over an Avengers game being criticised.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand a central thread to discuss Jimpressions or lesser videos, but burying all the Jimquisitions in one thread just seems like a cop-out by the mod so they won't have to stress over modding so many heated threads, as opposed to them thinking "yeah that makes sense". Thank god for Jim. I'm disappointed with this decision all the same.
Look, not every thought that comes out of Jim's head needs its own thread. Do we need a thread on his thoughts on the new Avenger's game? Probably not.

If he makes a threadworthy video on a serious subject then the video can get its own thread, but his reviews and such don't need individual threads. Which is what we're getting now and that's really not good or fair.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Should have been "|OT| Thank God for Jim" or something.. lol.

Honestly, it's a long time coming. A lot of Jim's videos tend to blur together, and while I don't find any of them objectionable in the way some people do, I suppose we don't need a new thread three times a week.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
It's about time he got a thread, and given "new news new thread" I'm pretty sure his bigger videos like Jimquisitions and/or big industry leaks can still get their own threads, so bizarre meltdowns because someone suggested AAA games aren't perfect are still on the menu.