• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 24, 2018
This is probably a thread that needed to be made quite a while ago but I finally decided to make it myself. Threads concerning Jim's videos like their Jimpressions and Jimquisitions can often end up being a mess, especially if said videos are criticizing a game or company people on ERA like and many times users have asked why does his video get separate threads or why isn't their one big official thread.

So I decided for the benefit of their fans on ERA and those who don't like them (and therefore can easily just ignore the thread) to make the....

Jimquisition Thread!!!!!
PracticalSmartBinturong-max-1mb.gif

Yes, the James Stephanie Sterling thread, for all your Boglin, Mysterio and The Racoons needs!

Some rules:
  1. Please no drive-by posts.
  2. At least watch the videos first before critiquing them.
  3. Criticizing and disagreeing with Jim's thoughts and opinions is fine, but please don't go into "They do it for clicks" or "I can't stand them (yet I'm here every week)" style posts that bring nothing to the conversation. Also, don't lie about what Jim has said and done.
  4. Please no passive-aggressive, generalized or personal attacks on other users.

Have fun all (:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
cool, but i think that catering to people that get upset over Jim criticizing beloved companies because they have shitty practices or treat their employees like shit is not a good idea, there still should be seperate threads for his bigger videos at least.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
How long before the whiners still can't help themselves and come in here to whine about why Jim isn't getting deplatformed here?

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
I love Jim's work and love his passion on so many issues such as predatory industry practices, crunch, asset flips and mistreatment of employees. He constructs solid arguments, and is very articulate.

He is also really funny! Podquisition is also really entertaining, and I laughed so hard at Jim Wont Give Ian His VR (Officer Garcia), short-lived as it was.

While I love a thread just to celebrate his work, I think the individual threads for his videos are still warranted, because of the sheer discussion they provoke. With such a grand range of topics that can come up, I'd be worried about diluting such substance in a megathread.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Nice initiative.

I don't always agree with him ...

But quite often still :p

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I am not against an OT for his general content but I still think that a lot of his videos warrent seperate discussion threads because of their content.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
cool, but i think that catering to people that get upset over Jim criticizing beloved companies because they have shitty practices or treat their employees like shit is not a good idea, there still should be seperate threads for his bigger videos at least.

yep. This thread is basically letting the fanboys and babies get their own way because he criticized a game they like.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely think we need Jim in the industry as a loud and unapologetic voice for marginalized people, workers and to reiterate over and over that companies aren't our friends - even though I also think he is rather opportunistic in the way he latches onto most controversies - often without really bringing any new insight or revelations and instead just restating what has already been said.

I think many people react negatively to his threads because of that - often there are threads about a certain issue in this forum, only for a Jim-Thread to pop up where he basically says "Hey, I also think this sucks!" for 10 minutes and...that's that. Then there are also the people who just don't want their favorite game or company to get attacked at all, which is, yeah. Better to just ignore those guys.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I read the title as Jim Ryan. :lol

Sterling is great. I approve of this thread.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no this thread shouldn't exist

Please continue to bombard this forum with his shit

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people still make individual threads, because keeping up with a mega thread requires a lot of time. It's just much easier finding new information, if it's in a new thread. We need more focus and spotlight on the crappy business practices of this industry, not less.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
We in here.

This is my favorite Sterling video.

I think the Mario Kart copycat footage makes the video funnier.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Nice, a whole thread to discuss Jim, without disallowing discussion on the issues he might raise. The guy makes many good points, even if we disagree in how to face GaaS and other elements of "modern gaming".

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
A view is that if Jim Sterling threads end up "a mess", the onus is on the community to just, well, get better at discussing them. If people get banned, we surely blame those that got themselves banned, and not the content creator they were unable to discuss sensibly.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
remember when jim fucking sterling son got sued for over 10 million dollars?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
How long before the whiners still can't help themselves and come in here to whine about why Jim isn't getting deplatformed here?
Pretty sure this already happened in the past, lol. Jim is so toxic :-P

I still want separate threads for all his videos. These are always fun. While I don't agree with him all the time, I agree with him most of the time. He is also one of the actually funny YouTubers IMHO.

Jehuti

Oct 29, 2017
I hated the idea of Jim until my wife forced me to actually watch one of his videos. Subbed4life.

Mod notes on this thread

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hi Jim Sterling OT!

Couple of bits of admin- if you want the thread title changed at any time to reflect the latest video, we can put that in brackets at the end so
The Official Jim Sterling Thread [up: latest video title]
Just report the first post and we can do that.

Also, any actual reviews can still go in review threads.

On a personal note I was hoping for
Jim Sterling: Thank God For |OT| :-)

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
Jim is so articulate, talks about current issues, is very 'liberal' and creative, I find it absolutely baffling there seems to be this idea among people that don't watch his videos that he 'hates everything' and is really negative. I don't find that at all and wish more people would actually sit down and listen to his content.

OP, it might be difficult to do but it would be cool if we could have links to a few of his best videos on important subjects from past or present were in the original post

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Excellent. I don't always agree with Jim, but the vast majority of his videos are spot on. Incoming "Why does Jim have his own OT"

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Agreed

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I follow him on Youtube, but I can't say I'm a "fan" per se. It's just that someone who likes musou games can't be a bad person in my book, so I guess I'll watch this thread.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone missed it, he came out as nonbinary on Twitter recently.

This is one of my favorite recent videos of his as far as comedy goes.

One thing I miss in his non-Jimquisition videos was his "Hello you..." intros, where he calls the audience something. "Hello you forehead tattoos of the word DAMAGED... In a very nice font"

OP
OP
TheEchosOfTheCyborg
Feb 24, 2018
Hi Jim Sterling OT!

Couple of bits of admin- if you want the thread title changed at any time to reflect the latest video, we can put that in brackets at the end so
The Official Jim Sterling Thread [up: latest video title]
Just report the first post and we can do that.

Also, any actual reviews can still go in review threads.

On a personal note I was hoping for
Jim Sterling: Thank God For |OT| :-)
Thank you (: