• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
It's actually kind of sad how many grown adults get emotionally attached to video games they'll probably stop thinking about in a few years or companies. I wonder how and why this happens. I used to think it's an offshoot of nerd syndrome - where your hobbies are mocked while you grow up so you defend them as part of your identity - but video games are popular and mainstream now.

Oh man that last bit. There's a subset who haaaaaaaates that this hobby has gotten popular and mainstream.

The amount of people I'm able to talk to about various video games today.... I WISH I had this many back when I was in high school.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's always difficult for me to take complaints about Jim being negative too seriously when so much of the positivity around games is part of the evangelist marketing scheme. If nothing else, they're a counterweight to that

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me of all the speculation surrounding the Switch's capabilities before its release. No rational discourse was possible unless you were on the side of those claiming it would be nothing less than a portable Xbox One power-wise. If you tried to caution people to expect something more along the lines of a portable Wii U, you got shit on and told you knew nothing. And then the Switch released...

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
It's always difficult for me to take complaints about Jim being negative too seriously when so much of the positivity around games is part of the evangelist marketing scheme. If nothing else, they're a counterweight to that
Jim's providing a vital service.

If anything, the world needs more Jims rightfully calling shit out... not just for gaming but for everything. Perhaps then Sterling could devote more time and effort into propping up the actual shit that provides them with enjoyment (not that people watch the videos where they do just that).

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Did everyone on the Internet suddenly learn the word "discourse" lately? I swear I've seen it written down more in the last week than I have my entire life, even outside of Cyberpunk stuff.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

If anything, the world needs more Jims rightfully calling shit out... not just for gaming but for everything. Perhaps then Sterling could devote more time and effort into propping up the actual shit that provides them with enjoyment (not that people watch the videos where they do just that).
Jim's output is great as it is, but... we desperately need more Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy content.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think this is the best video Jim has put out in years. There is so much hard truth in it. The right people won't watch or listen, of course, but every bitter sentence is true.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. I don't always love Jim's videos, but damn if we don't need them to exist in a world of influencers and bullshit marketing.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I think it's bullshit that the thread for the latest video got locked. I understand the issues about cyberpunk and I agree with the stance of keeping all discussion about the game in one thread.

But this video wasn't about cyberpunk alone, but gaming and gamers as a whole and a video this very forum needs to see. But who am I kidding this I love Jim but this video won't change anything, people would come in with their same tired arguments and this video will be forgotten in a few hours.

Anyway great video once again Jim, keep up the good work.

Finally got around to watching the video. Going to have to echo my agreement and I wasn't aware a Jimquisition thread was started and then locked. I guess it got called in a bad ruling since the video is heavily taking the piss out of Cyberpunk and it's fans, since it's the current topic.

But there was heavy emphasis on GTAV that I all but forgot about. Didn't realize a woman was harassed for a 9/10 just because she mentioned misogyny in one paragraph. Gawdamn.

I finally have context for the 8.8 Twilight Princess thing. I remember Jim's own BotW harassment AND that real odd fake Mario score.

Just examples all around about how this is cyclical and Gamers continue to prove to be trash.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Wow at the reviewer mentioning misogyny in GTAV(which is 100% does have) and gamers harrassing them about it despite the fact they still have it a 9/10. I would have quit at that point if it were me.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A comment on the video pointed this out, which is great.

"The irony of a CYBERPUNK game having a fanbase willing to defend corporations to the death should never be forgotten."

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You know, I can't actually find the video with the announcement right now. But they've had "They/Them. NB Pansexual Gendertrash." on their Twitter bio for a minute, and they referenced being non-binary in a Patreon post from last month.

Jim also mentioned being transitioning in the same tweets that they came out as NB if I remember correctly, so them taking estrogens isn't exactly a surprise.

But yes, in case anyone is still wondering:

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
A comment on the video pointed this out, which is great.

"The irony of a CYBERPUNK game having a fanbase willing to defend corporations to the death should never be forgotten."
ohyou.gif

Anyway, this video made me realize how fucked the discourse over gaming is really. The comment about (paraphrasing) "It's cool to shit on minorities and marginalized people but you can't make the GAMERS inconvenienced!" And we all know what they mean by "the gamers."

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually kind of sad how many grown adults get emotionally attached to video games they'll probably stop thinking about in a few years or companies. I wonder how and why this happens. I used to think it's an offshoot of nerd syndrome - where your hobbies are mocked while you grow up so you defend them as part of your identity - but video games are popular and mainstream now.

I don't know why that would change anything. Have you ever listened to a football fan talk before? You can't even make reasoned criticism on their team as a fan without someone going "you're not a real fan".

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Jim recently came out as trans/non-binary, so they're just being cheeky. Because taking hormones to hack your own body is way more punk than anything about "Wow Cool Future" 2077. I can see how that would hit different without the context of their quite recent coming-out, though.
It's actually a low key way of saying they're taking hormones already (which is confirmed via further Twitter interactions I've seen) and also taking hormones to hack your body is way more punk than the actual game

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people get emotionally attached to sports, politics, religion, etc.

I think it's just human nature to want to be part of a group with similar tastes and desires. However it is extremely toxic if unchecked.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Jim's video on video game discourse is so 1000% on point. I've been screaming many of the same sentiments regarding nearly all of these things surrounding the Cyberpunk review process, so it's great to have a much more eloquent summary of why the discourse is fucked from someone who has actually lived the experience. Everyone interested in games media should watch this.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A+ video, especially the Opener.
Wonder how many weeks of content Cyberpunk will give them.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Jim's right, it's got to be super cathartic for everyone who has been criticizing CDPR all these years to see this blow back on them.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Very true. I mean, once it finally settles down I'm going to be furious at how it was fucking bugs of all things that caused their downfall. Just pure "we got Capone on tax evasion" vibes. But whatever, the fuckers deserve it. They've been courting the capital-G Gamer crowd for years and stoking all their worst instincts. Now all of that is being turned back on them. Poetic fucking justice.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got an up to date clarification from Jim on what their preferred pronouns are? I see "They/them" only in their Twitter bio.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Ain't it somethin when a content creator just flatout says from the get go to just run adblock on their stuff.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I should really watch Jim's streams, but the thing is they're often on at times that don't work for me and it sometimes feels like a commitment to keep up to date about who's streaming what and when.

This episode was great, one of my favourites! :)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I should really watch Jim's streams, but the thing is they're often on at times that don't work for me and it sometimes feels like a commitment to keep up to date about who's streaming what and when.

This episode was great, one of my favourites! :)
So many livestreams I want to watch come up when I'm either at work or a when I am going to bed. It sucks.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
No real surprises on the list. That dig on Ubisoft at the end was much needed and I'm glad it keeps getting brought up.

OP
OP
TheEchosOfTheCyborg
Feb 24, 2018
Trying to think what would be on the best of 2020 list, Hades or Demon's Souls remake likely the overall best, remember them calling FF7R subversive genius.

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Trigger, Ghost of Tsushima, Streets of Rage 4 and Resident Evil 3 Remake I remember they all liked. Think they liked Doom Eternal? Justin loved Paper Mario. Would Terminator Resistance qualify for the list?

Are their games they did on their streaming they liked they didn't do for their YT channel?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking year, even tho it has only been a week.
And thank god for Jim, using his platform properly