• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Let me know if I can play that Yakuza PS5 version day 1

Hey but at least when you can play it, it'll be the complete version!

This is honestly the worst type of exclusive deal. I'd rather the game be exclusive to PlayStation for a year and then come to other platforms complete than this stupidity. No one should defend this practice, specifically, as it is literally making the game worse. Think Crystal Dynamics will put as much time into an exclusive character as their other characters? Think again. But congratulations, Spider-Man is now beholden to this mess in a game he should be featured heavily in.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I see the "Sony owns everything to do with Spider-Man" discourse has moved into this thread

there truly is no hope for this site whatsoever
Do you have a source for all the agreements that were made in that deal? It's perfectly possible that they said Spider-Man as a character is PlayStation exclusive in upcoming games if you want him back in your MCU movies.
this is bordering on conspiracy nonsense and you should be embarrassed for thinking this

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At the same time it is extremely unlikely that Sony would invest so much in a foreign IP if everyone could make a 3rd person Spider-Man game.

They for sure secured some exclusivety rights to Spider-man for the time of the licence.

Again, it's important to note that Sony doesn't have that level of power over the character. Marvel basically LET them use him for the Insomniac game when Insomniac requested the character.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PQeIVAh.jpg

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
can't wait for the narrative to change in a few years where first party exclusives become anti consumer as well
I see the "Sony owns everything to do with Spider-Man" discourse has moved into this thread

this is bordering on conspiracy nonsense and you should be embarrassed for thinking this
I think people are fucking with you at this point, they know

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
This shit is just par for the course for SE, look at all those Final Fantasy games released on PS4 and then released on Xbox/Switch later with a shit ton of more added features/content. Exclusive content sucks ass but Square has been doing this shit for years.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
that is absolutley not true. If the script was flipped, and he was exclusive to the xbox version, id love to see what all the people saying "its not a big deal sheesh" would be saying then.

I legitimately wouldn't give a shit. It's one character in one game that most of the community on here had written off as well on its way to being a mediocre GaaS.

What I do know though is that not long ago, a lot of people on this very forum were saying that the ENTIRETY of WB IPs becoming XGS exclusives for the foreseeable future, with hugely successful successful studios like Rocksteady joining Xbox ranks, would be so much better than those same IPs and studios remaining multiplat.

But now one character is locked to one platform for one (probably mediocre) game. And that's the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I love that for many in this thread, the "Sony is making gaming worse" comment is a bigger takeaway than Sony locking content from other platforms.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Sony wants Spider-Man to be synonymous with PlayStation going forward, I guess this is why they struck a deal with Disney and Square for full character exclusivity.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Of course Sony has to step in, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics needed extra funding to be able to include Spider-Man, the most popular Avenger, and a founding member, when making an Avengers game.
Except he's not.... he didn't join until the 90's, and even then wasn't a mainstay.

This isn't Spider-Man being excluded from the base game, this is extra DLC paid for by Sony, for the people in their ecosystem. Nobody has a problem with Xbox getting a ton of exclusive deals for gamepass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately wouldn't give a shit. It's one character in one game that most of the community on here had written off as well on its way to being a mediocre GaaS.

What I do know though is that not long ago, a lot of people on this very forum were saying that the ENTIRETY of WB IPs becoming XGS exclusives for the foreseeable future, with hugely successful successful studios like Rocksteady joining Xbox ranks, would be so much better than those same IPs and studios remaining multiplat.

But now one character is locked to one platform for one (probably mediocre) game. And that's the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

It's seriously hilarious. Like somehow it's okay for Xbox to just eat an entire publisher and lock their games down as exclusives but a shitty GaaS game gets an exclusive character and now the whole world is on fire?

Both situations are extremely bad, but the one that locks entire platforms off from DOZENS of games moving forward is far more damaging than one game we'll all have forgotten about this time next year getting an exclusive DLC.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Yes, Sony and PlayStation are charities so they should allow the inclusion of their properties or ones they pay royalties for in their competitors' products.

People love capitalism when it's beneficial to them, but hate it when it's not. News flash, you can't have it both ways. If you want Spiderman in the Avengers, buy what you need to in order to play with him.
It's not their property! Are you forgetting that Spider-Man was in a Switch game recently? Give me a break

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
I really wonder what the wording on the deal Disney made to get Sony to let them have Spider Man for the movies. We obviously have spiderman exclusive games on playstation but a complete exclusive deal for the character video game wise could have happened.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Damn...but era told me Xbox and PlayStation weren't competing no more and going for completly diffrent markets xD

Why all these exclusive deals then ?

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I honestly didn't have an interest in this game aside from the fact it was going to be a destiny like looter. I was going to buy it just to play something new but not anymore. If Xbox pulls the same crap on a game I'd share the same Stance. I dealt with it on Destiny and Iam not doing it again

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Again, it's important to note that Sony doesn't have that level of power over the character. Marvel basically LET them use him for the Insomniac game when Insomniac requested the character.

Yeah, that's the point. Sony licenced the character. Licences usually have some sort of exclusivity attached to them.

Similar to how only EA is allowed to do Star Wars games.

It's rather likely that Sony is for the time being the only company that has the licence to do 3rd person Spider-Man games.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This bothers me As a PC guy, It just sucks if I wanna play as spidey, I gotta buy the gimped ps5 version of the game locked to 60fps instead of the superior PC version.

Please don't use words like 'gimped', it's ableist.

I don't really hold much hope any more for this site. It's going to be endless bitching while Nintendo and PC players just around like

giphy.gif

Yeah, that's the point. Sony licenced the character. Licences usually have some sort of exclusivity attached to them.

It's rather likely that Sony is for the time being the only company that has the licence to do 3rd person Spider-Man games.

This isn't the Peter Parker from the 2018 game by Insomniac, this is Crystal Dynamic's take on the character. This is just speculation, we don't know the technical details of any deal so it really doesn't matter besides judging the end result.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Except he's not.... he didn't join until the 90's, and even then wasn't a mainstay.

This isn't Spider-Man being excluded from the base game, this is extra DLC paid for by Sony, for the people in their ecosystem. Nobody has a problem with Xbox getting a ton of exclusive deals for gamepass.

Man you console warriors really believe this stuff huh?

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Again, if you think a Marvel game was going to be made without Spider-Man unless Sony stepped in, I have no idea what to tell you.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Gamers are such children not once have I ever seen anyone lose their minds over a movie or tv show being locked to one streaming service.

LOL do you live under a rock or something? There was an out roar because they were going to make Dr. Who a black woman. Or how about people losing their shit when it was suggested that Idris Elba was going to be the next Bond. Get out of here with that bs.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
It would be pretty funny (and utterly moronic) for Microsoft to spend several hundred million dollars buying an entire publisher because a shitty Crystal Dynamics game got an exclusive DLC character.
No, WB Games will cost MS several Billion dollars. But it's beyond the Avengers game, it's the entire Spiderman IP that Sony is essentially locking down it seems (not just one game).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

And yet Spidey shows up in all kinds of crossover games that aren't made by Sony. Sony may have the rights to make THEIR SPECIFIC GAME but that doesn't mean they own the usage rights to the character entirely.

No, WB Games will cost MS several Billion dollars. But it's beyond the Avengers game, it's the entire Spiderman IP that Sony is essentially locking down it seems (not just one game).

And yet we know that's not the case because he showed up in MUA3 a few months ago and is regularly added to all crossover mobile games. And entire games were nuked out of existence when Marvel got pissed off about the X-Men so you know they would do that if there were any IP usage restrictions on Spidey.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Not going to be surprised if it's just hidden away on the PC version.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, that's the goal.

And like, of course it's shitty, but it's the business. I seriously doubt this game will suffer in any way due to this announcement.

Yep, this exactly.

As long as it keeps working, companies will keep doing it. Unfortunately, whilst it is anti-consumer, it's not anti-consumer enough for 95% of consumers to give enough of a shit.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Sony has to step in, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics needed extra funding to be able to include Spider-Man, the most popular Avenger, and a founding member, when making an Avengers game.
Fun fact: There is not a single alternate universe/what if story where Spider-Man is a founding member of the Avengers.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The game is not based off the MCU at all, in fact they got flack for designing the characters to look like the comics instead of the MCU, so I don't know where you're getting that from. It's not MCU The Game, it's Marvel's Avengers and Spider-Man is not part of the Avengers traditionally.

I maintain he would not be in this game if not for Sony funding tis

It doesn't use a MCU license, but it's clearly MCU inspired. The Avengers line up used just says it all. For the "original team", before they break up, you have a bunch of Avengers mainstays... and then the Hulk, who was consistently an Avenger in the movies, but never stayed for long in the comics.

Also, they aren't using the comics as inspiration for the designs either, you just need to glance at Captain America's odd outfit (outside of the actual comic alternate outfits and even there some go through big changes). Also, look at Tony Stark who has a pretty characteristic face in the comics with some traits that stay consistent in spite of various changes (unlike some other characters like Banner who can look completely different depending on the artist), but yet looks nothing like that here.