• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling over a Series of Posts; Previous Infractions for Disruptive Behavior
Remember to hate game.
Remember to be angry at game.
Remember to click videos that say why to be angry at game.
Remember to do same for next game chosen.

Era ain't gonna wanna hear this but he's right.
Clinging to this whiny, entitled tone and supporting the droning amateur media
is just toxic gamer shit. I aint got time for bad media, none of this shit matters.

Y'all jump to save video games through the power of complaining like a fox news grandpa runs to the voting booth.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The legendary skins are gonna cost $15 and it's gonna suck for people like me who actually do care about cosmetics. Especially in a game where the default skins are so wack.
You get premium currency from each character battle pass. I only finish the 1st page in the challenge page and get 500 premium. Saving for 1500 premium currency to unlock some of your favorite skin sounds reasonable.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Dang, we legit had someone compare pushback against corporate cross media promotion to gamergate in this thread. Damn.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
What dlc did it even unlock?

I did just notice that the FF7 candybar DLC promo items are now available as free DLC on the PSN store. No idea what the bangle accessories actually do(still haven't even played the game), but I was browsing the PSN shop over the weekend and grabbed all of them.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
is just toxic gamer shit. I aint got time for bad media, none of this shit matters.

Y'all jump to save video games through the power of complaining like a fox news grandpa runs to the voting booth.
Lmao this really captures it. It really is reaching toxic gamer "purity of gaming bullshit"

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
www.resetera.com

FF7R Butterfinger promo starts March 3rd - Buy up to ~16 dollars of candy bars to unlock DLC.

Forget Noctis’s Cup Noodle helmet, let’s get Cloud swinging around the fabled Butterfinger Blade. https://butterfingerff7r.com/ 2 Candy Bars: Midgar Bangle A bangle designed in the image of the great city of Midgar (release date: April 10, 2020) * Also unlocks a Tifa Dynamic PS4 theme. 4...

No one is precluded from grabbing some candy bars from any grocer or convenience store to snag some times-exclusive, non-cosmetic DLC items that are now free for everyone to download.

Everyone is precluded by partnerships with companies that players are heavily, mostly exclusively locked-in with. People can't just grab a PS4 or a Verizon plan for a couple bucks to unlock an entire character, skin, or completely free copy of a $60 game for happening to be an existing member of a specific platform at the very right time with little-to-no warning.

These are unprecedented levels of preclusion, and it's disgusting.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It can be a corporate cash grab as well as being a fun engaging game with deep combat. "I wish it was linear" Fuck no, can't wait to have weeks of fun with friends on this.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
yeah, the game is EA writen all over, suprised to be from the same devs of tomb raider =(

The same devs that released 2 story DLC's for Tomb Raider Underworld exclusively for the Xbox 360? And they weren't even timed exclusives? (a much more serious situation than this btw)

The same devs that released Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusively for the Xbox One for a year after they announced the game without any exclusivity deal?

These same devs?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, you can be pedantic about it if you want. Especially since any reasonable discussion on this knows that one exception doesn't defy a rule, but hey, if it makes you feel any better about this cross media sponsorship brigade, have at it.

lmao yeah I'm the one being pedantic and precious about this

These sorts of things are commonplace. They don't exist everywhere, but they are common. It will continue to happen like it's happened for the past 20+ years. If you don't think that's the case, you're just in denial. There will always be places it doesn't, but it doesn't make it not the norm.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate it had to turn out this way. Thankfully I got my Marvel fill recently with Ultimate Alliance 3 which is a really fun game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
lmao yeah I'm the one being pedantic and precious about this

These sorts of things are commonplace. They don't exist everywhere, but they are common. It will continue to happen like it's happened for the past 20+ years. If you don't think that's the case, you're just in denial. There will always be places it doesn't, but it doesn't make it not the norm.
End of the day they can "vote with their wallets" or whatever. I'm over the weird angles people have on this game now. Its just to push clicks at this point for hate raging toxic gamers.
Don't forget Chipotle E. Coli for a Tony Hawk demo.
I forgot about that lmao. And guess what I don't care for it so I'm not doing it look how simple that is.

Oct 28, 2019
You'll be getting this game with a box of corn flakes in six months as they try to sell you useless nonsense on the Avengers store, save this post

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'm so glad that my gut-reaction to the game-play is being echoed across the web. The game looks so life-less, like it's just trying to be Insomniac's Spider-Man and failing in so many ways.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's a cash grab. It's a licensed GAAS title based on the biggest cash grab in the movie industry.
Deus Ex was put on ice for this...
I mean, guess which one is going to make a fuckton of money...
And expect it to be on ice for quite a bit longer; I can totally see Crystal Dynamics being the main dev here, but moving on to other projects once the game is launched, with Eidos Montreal being the support studio that will keep working on it for years to come.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No one is precluded from grabbing some candy bars from any grocer or convenience store to snag some times-exclusive, non-cosmetic DLC items that are now free for everyone to download.

Everyone is precluded by partnerships with companies that players are heavily, mostly exclusively locked-in with. People can't just grab a PS4 or a Verizon plan for a couple bucks to unlock an entire character, skin, or completely free copy of a $60 game for happening to be an existing member of a specific platform at the very right time with little-to-no warning.

These are unprecedented levels of preclusion, and it's disgusting.
Time exclusive skins.

" Verizon today announced a special team-up with Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics that will offer Verizon customers a chance to play Marvel's Avengers before the general public in a special beta event — along with receiving a digital copy of this action-packed adventure game and exclusive timed content launching September 4th, on us![SUP]1[/SUP] "

www.verizon.com

Verizon customers get early chance to play Marvel’s Avengers

Verizon becomes the official telecommunications partner for Marvel’s Avengers, starting with giving customers limited-access to special beta event and a copy of the game

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
People pay $60 for this stuff... good lord! (Plus MTXs!)
Maybe I'm weird, but I have a zero-tolerance policy for stuff like this (and DRM, etc.) Like, there's so many games to play, why waste your time and money, don't you feel like you're being exploited/manipulated, watching/playing these corporate films, games, etc.?

Marketing, in all of it's forms, is manipulation. The only difference is where each person draws their line. In an industry that has tried literal pay to win structures, subscriptions to single games on top of purchase of base and expansions (MMOs), a myriad of power creep paid dlc structures, etc... The option to buy things for cosmetic changes while offering additional gameplay content for free is fairly unobtrusive in comparison.

That doesn't mean that people who share your ideals or draw their lines similarly are wrong or anything like that. However you can't expect others to draw their lines in the same place.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
This is starting to feel very gamergate ish With this stuff, "its about the purity of gaming" this shit is super weird outrage to me.

Gamergate was never about that though. Like that was very clearly going after women. The target here so far is just games and corpos. Not to say it can't become that but so far that's not a good conflation.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Calling out exploitative corporate practices is toxic gamer shit akin to fox news grandpas running to the voting booth.

How does that boot taste?

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I've just finished the video and read the comments on this thread and I really don't understand the problem with cross promotion.

This is the same conversation that happened when skins and mtxs started appearing in videogames except cross promotion is not a predatory behaviour that encourages gambling.

Videogames are expensive to make and inherently risky. If companies have found a way to make them less risky and more profitable without asking me for more money well, I'm happy for them.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
He's very picky with what he chooses to do videos on isn't he. Almost like he's going for what he knows people likely want to watch right now, so he can get more views, and get more money. I'm assuming he makes money from his videos. If I'm wrong then fair enough.

As for the subject, this is nothing most people don't already know. If you feel strongly about it, tell the publisher, and don't buy the game.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I'm so glad that my gut-reaction to the game-play is being echoed across the web. The game looks so life-less, like it's just trying to be Insomniac's Spider-Man and failing in so many ways.

I thought this game looked TERRIBLE, and I haven't ever really gelled with GaaS. I went into the beta with a smirk, ready to cancel my pre-order as soon as I had tried it.

Turns out I loved it. The game feels very different when playing it, versus how the marketing looks.

Of course, that being said, it might not be for you all the same, just thought I'd add my two cents.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Calling out exploitative corporate practices is toxic gamer shit akin to fox news grandpas running to the voting booth.

How does that boot taste?
Yeah, I love the comparisons in this thread. Apparently being pissed at corporate cross media promotions bullshit is a) similar time GamerGate b) similar to FOX News.
Eagerly waiting to be called a Trump supporter or flat earther next.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Time exclusive skins.

" Verizon today announced a special team-up with Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics that will offer Verizon customers a chance to play Marvel's Avengers before the general public in a special beta event — along with receiving a digital copy of this action-packed adventure game and exclusive timed content launching September 4th, on us![SUP]1[/SUP] "

www.verizon.com

Verizon customers get early chance to play Marvel’s Avengers

Verizon becomes the official telecommunications partner for Marvel’s Avengers, starting with giving customers limited-access to special beta event and a copy of the game

But will they be free after the timed exclusivity period expires like the FF7R items were? Either way, the bigger deal is that they're giving free copies of the entire game away to an exclusive base of carrier subscribers... I for one can't justify spending $50-$60 on a game that would have been free with major exclusive content if I happened to still be loyal to the biggest brands.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
It's really one of the worst GaaS games I've ever seen. I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Taco Bell is going to be gutted to hear cross promotions are so bad. No one will buy their food for a chance at a code that wins them a PS5 or Xbox One X. They had their time in the sun in the past, with people eating that stuff up for a PS4, but now the lotto games are over.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
The same devs that released 2 story DLC's for Tomb Raider Underworld exclusively for the Xbox 360? And they weren't even timed exclusives? (a much more serious situation than this btw)

The same devs that released Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusively for the Xbox One for a year after they announced the game without any exclusivity deal?

These same devs?

you made a great point, that was really greedy

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

don't ask questions just consume product and then get excited for next products

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
To the watchlist it goes.

Games pretty fun from what I've played. Story seems cool as well. If they were trying to be Spider-man it wouldn't be a hero based live service game ala Destiny.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Gamergate was never about that though. Like that was very clearly going after women. The target here so far is just games and corpos. Not to say it can't become that but so far that's not a good conflation.
yes, but also it did devolve into some purity of journlism or whatever rhetoric the overall point is the toxic gamer trope that creeps into this stuff. Where this really is not anything that is even worth being so upset about.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, yet is.

But the open door that he's beating on with this idea is so large that they could probably fit one those Avenger carriers through it.

It really is the wrong kind of game to have any expectations on except what they're actually doing now. There's nothing idealistic about it, it's a game born from a developers artistic vision, it's a cash grab service with high production values.

I'm not shaming anyone for wanting to play it, but Jim Sterling himself is just catching the widest possible audience net with a video like this. And it's almost exhausting watching someone be that worked up over something so predictable.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's not wrong but then again being cautious is par for the course for any AAA GAAS release. I can overlook the tomfuckery if the base $60 game can provide a satisfying experience that justifies the price.

This'll be the same for whatever the suicide squad game ends up being.