• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
User Banned (3 days): Trolling
Remember to hate game.
Remember to be angry at game.
Remember to click videos that say why to be angry at game.
Remember to do same for next game chosen.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I only respect games that align with the realest of brands

HeaderBanner.png
Wait this is real?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
All the corporate skins and deals with this game really reminds me of how super heroes are portrayed in The Boys, completely cynical and designed to please investors.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Canceled my pre-order after the Verizon promo. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. All this corporate exclusivity just makes the game feel slimy, and I just don't want anything to do with it at this point.

This game feels as though it was created specifically for the average person, and so they targeted the game platform most played by the average person, and the mobile carrier most used by the average person to try and reel them all in.

I'm surprised they haven't announced yellow McDonald's skins yet to really corner the market on all sides. Wait, that's not exclusive or prohibitive enough. How about Sam's Club exclusive skins? That's more fitting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I almost have to wonder if the reason they made the default characters look so fucking DORKY is to psychologically manipulate people into spending money for legendary skins to replace them.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
In one hand, the exclusivity with Playstation for key characters like Spiderman and other advantages kinda shitty , those are core aspects of the game.

In other, cross promotions with other brands are very common and is hilarious how people get upset with this when a couple of months ago people were losing their damn minds eating buttlefingers all day for the FF7Remake promotion.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Remember to hate game.
Remember to be angry at game.
Remember to click videos that say why to be angry at game.
Remember to do same for next game chosen.

Remember to accept other opinions even if they are different from yours
Remember that you need to defend the game from valid criticism

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The legendary skins are gonna cost $15 and it's gonna suck for people like me who actually do care about cosmetics. Especially in a game where the default skins are so wack.
You unlock other skins which aren't so wack. I won't be spending a dime. Also doing the hero challenges (battle pass system) give you currency that you can collect to buy the few legendary skins that you need for the characters you love.

It's kind of the way I play Warframe when selling loot I farmed to people for platinum and buying deluxe skins for the frames that I love. I have quite a few of those premium skins and so many color pallets off that store and I never spent a dime on Warframe, a GAAS game. I don't try to get everything unlocked in Warframe, or any GAAS game I play, you'll go broke or spend too much time doing things you don't want to do. The way I play them is just have fun and focus on a few things that interest me. I don't think they are made so people get everything.

P.S. Path of Exile is amazing, it's a GAAS game too, with so much friggin content released very often, and Path of Exile 2 is coming!

Rocket League is also a GAAS, do people get all those skins too? I wonder.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Canceled my pre-order after the Verizon promo. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. All this corporate exclusivity just makes the game feel slimy, and I just don't want anything to do with it at this point.

This game feels as though it was created specifically for the average person, and so they targeted the game platform most played by the average person, and the mobile carrier most used by the average person to try and reel them all in.

I'm surprised they haven't announced yellow McDonald's skins yet to really corner the market on all sides. Wait, that's not exclusive or prohibitive enough. How about Sam's Club exclusive skins? That's more fitting.
You are going to be in for a bad time going forward On big games.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What dlc did it even unlock?

To start, you must purchase two of either Butterfinger bars, Baby Ruth bars, or Crunch bars. By purchasing two of these on the same receipt, you have a chance to earn the five items below, with a new tier being available to you for every two in addition you buy.

1. Midgar Bangle: A bangle designed in the image of the great city of Midgar
    (release date: April 10, 2020)
  2. Shinra Bangle: A sleek bangle engraved with the Shinra company logo
  3. Corneo's Armlet: A tacky bangle bearing the Don's mark
  4. Superstar Belt: A belt declaring one's status as a superstar
  5. Mako Crystal: A beautiful crystal imbued with mako

In addition, you will receive a special them for PS4 with Tifa the first time you do this. You will have access to this immediately upon you receiving your email, so you will get a code that you can then redeem on the PlayStation Store to download it and start using it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim on the on point. Absolutely agreed. Game seems awful.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Ehhh that beta was pretty damn fun. It has a great combat system and some really smart design decisions that separate it from the average GAAS game that has come and gone.
And surprisingly varied despite the same core controls. I suck as Hulk despite loving playing as him, but I absolutely wreck with Iron Man by comparison while some people cannot grok the flying aspect of him (and even I haven't fully taken advantage of it).

Gives some varied play experiences to accommodate more people.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
What's funny is his point about the arbitrary mouse cursor instead of just normal menus on console is one of the more damning things (personally, at least) he could have pointed out.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
2020 really did a number on us if we're mad about normal cross-promotion stuff.
I feel like people are really bored right now. There are so many examples of this For every bigish game, and the anger behind it makes no sense to me its just silly ass promos that you can totally ignore. hell I thought it was cool 5000 people got the game for free like what the hell.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
You are going to be in for a bad time going forward On big games.
You keep pretending this shit is common, but it's really not. Sony games don't have this nonsense. Nintendo games don't have this nonsense. (Inb4 someone posts Uncharted Subway or MK8 Mercedes). Most Japanese stuff like Sega or Capcom games don't have this nonsense. Even for western games, CDPR shit doesn't have this nonsense.
"Everyone else does it" doesn't make this any less off putting, it makes it even more of a problem that needs to be called out.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

FF7R Butterfinger promo starts March 3rd - Buy up to ~16 dollars of candy bars to unlock DLC.

Forget Noctis’s Cup Noodle helmet, let’s get Cloud swinging around the fabled Butterfinger Blade. https://butterfingerff7r.com/ 2 Candy Bars: Midgar Bangle A bangle designed in the image of the great city of Midgar (release date: April 10, 2020) * Also unlocks a Tifa Dynamic PS4 theme. 4...

that thread is surely a (diabetic) trip.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
I mean, I was surprised to see this was the case as soon as online came up as a big deal for the game, but honestly, that was just the final confirmation I needed not to waste time on it. The roster is so boring, everything I see about this game looks so boring, and I love Marvel, so it's really quite an achievement for the higher ups to make such a good looking game, that apparently plays nicely, also look that boring to progress in considering I didn't even play it.

Sad for the developers that certainly meant to deliver a better and fair experience.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
another reminder how idiotic the Terminator skins are in Gears 5. even worse, the skins gave you an advantage due to how thin the t800 models were and how they blended into the environment too much

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it. Cross promotion is huge in gaming. COD, Madden, Assassins Creed, etc do this nearly every year.

Hell, Mountain Dew and Doritos have become a meme and synonymous with gamers unfortunately due to how many cross promotions they have done in gaming.

None of this is new or surprising, especially for an IP/ brand as big as the Avengers.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, it is. But so are most AAA games of this size. It's the nature of the business.

Even FFVII had freaking Butterfinger promotions.

The Spider-Man stuff is getting an understandable amount of flack but everything else is very standard. I guess the Spider-Man stuff put a spotlight on everything else.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I'm not playing this game anymore.
I cant play a game, no matter how much fun I'm having, knowing that all my hard-earned money is going to a big corporation, who only cares about making money.
Or worse, I cant play a game knowing that someone, somewhere is rocking a cool Iron Man outfit because they bought a bag of chips. Absolutely disgusting, fuck you Square Enix.

In all my years of gaming, I never thought I would see such a ridiculous, painfully obvious cash-grab. I mean, I've seen deluxe editions, pre-order bonus, mtx that actually have an effect on gameplay and can be consider pay to win (ahem NaughtyDog, ahem EA), but to think that these bastards would give us free updates on content that actually matters, like characters and missions, just so they can FORCE US, completely force us to buy cosmetics, is so gross. Absolutely gross.
I hope everyone looks at this game in shame, and we can go back to the good old days, with paid DLC so we can split the player base.
It will all be for the better, as long as I can dress up my Hulk as a 70s gangster with in-game currency.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Just finished this video. No lies detected. At one point Jim said that only AAA games could make him completely disinterested in a fully-fledged Avengers game, and I fully agree with that sentiment.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You keep pretending this shit is common, but it's really not. Sony games don't have this nonsense. Nintendo games don't have this nonsense. (Inb4 someone posts Uncharted Subway or MK8 Mercedes). Most Japanese stuff like Sega or Capcom games don't have this nonsense. Even for western games, CDPR shit doesn't have this nonsense.
"Everyone else does it" doesn't make this any less off putting, it makes it even more of a problem that needs to be called out.
almost all huge 3rd party games have these partnerships.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
FYI: those candy bar FF7R items are available on the PlayStation store for free now. No candy bars required anymore.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, outside of the Verizon shocker yesterday, they're just skins. I don't think it's a big deal.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like people are really bored right now. There are so many examples of this For every bigish game, and the anger behind it makes no sense to me its just silly ass promos that you can totally ignore. hell I thought it was cool 5000 people got the game for free like what the hell.

Honestly, this isn't anything new and happened in a AAA release earlier this year. Won't be the last either, it's easy to ignore that optional crap.

Exactly. Games and movies do this on the daily, and it makes 0 difference to the actual game/movie.

Side note, when the video went on about the Gears of War 5 Terminator skins (which I didn't play), I was like "Uh I'd buy that T-800 skin because it's awesome, advertising be damned"

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I really wish this was a Single player only game because it probably would have been more polished lol

Jim is right tho. My hype for Avengers has been sort of deflated as more of the game is shown. Really hope Rocksteady doesn't drop the ball with Suicide Squad

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest, as long as the promotion is outside the game I don't really care.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Square-Enix were really annoying with their cross-promotions in FFXV and VII Remake, but at least they were stuff that weebs would be interested in like Ramen. This is a little ridiculous.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory point of comparison
This is starting to feel very gamergate ish With this stuff, "its about the purity of gaming" this shit is super weird outrage to me.