• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Ovia is a pregnancy tracking app that takes in a creepy amount of personal data from its users. This data can be accessed by companies to track the overall health and related trends of their workers.

I'm sure you don't need too much of a held hand to work out why this is concerning. Activision Blizzard incentivizes its employees to use fitness and health apps, Ovia included, and executive Milt Ezzard justifies it in the creepiest way possible.

Source Article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...public-than-you-think/?utm_term=.470b713f0f1d

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
its to try to circumvent any possible future class action lawsuits over stress induced pregnancy issues. It is a good thing. even if the motivation is bad the result is a good thing.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is inherently creepy? The woman in this case seemed well aware of what she was doing and where her data was going.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They could do it the traditional way instead of going all big brother: not overworking and overstressing people seems to help a lot.

i mean, if the women think their job will be in jeopardy if they come and say they are having issues, most of them will try to wing it.

with this they cant really lie about it no?

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
to want to reduce / eliminate misscarriages and pregnancy complications is not disgusting.

By your own admission, that's not what they're doing. They want to avoid lawsuits, AKA treat the symptom not the cause. Maybe don't stress your employees to the point where a miscarriage is possible, rather than seeking out personal data to minimize your legal liability?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I read the article. It focuses on one woman, an ATVI employee. The app allows the company to access anonymous aggregated data, that woman said she was never troubled by privacy concerns, it's entirely voluntary, and also:

"Nearly 20 women who had been diagnosed as infertile had become pregnant since the company started offering Ovia's fertility app, Ezzard said."

What does that become when Sterling sees it?

Creepy Activision Wants To Know About Your Baby

Did he somehow miss the part where it's anonymous? Sorry, parts. That was mentioned multiple times in the article. So they don't know about "your" baby from this app.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
They could do it the traditional way instead of going all big brother: not overworking and overstressing people seems to help a lot.

like I said the movtivation doesnt matter. even if you dont work for one of these companies there are women who use the tracker and let their data be used for fertility research to help people in general who have fertility issues.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Game development needs to improve for the workers. Wouldn't need this if the work environment wasn't horrible in the firstplace. Why can't making games and having a regular ass life coexist at these big pubs?

If it's solely for research data though, keep volunteering if you like.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game development needs to improve for the workers. Wouldn't need this if the work environment wasn't horrible in the firstplace. Why can't making games and having a regular ass life coexist at these big pubs?
This really isn't specific to a video game company from what I can see.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
There is no way in hell my employer is getting my personal medical data and you need your head checked if you think this is OK.

The problem is these sorts of things are not made mandatory (for obvious reasons) but employees are scared to say no. That's the issue.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
if people are cool with using these apps when the company demands it...

there is always the option to work somewhere else, i don´t even know what is so cool to work at these mega companies, in the end you get a kick in the arse and can look for a new job anyways (as seen this year)

its to try to circumvent any possible future class action lawsuits over stress induced pregnancy issues. It is a good thing. even if the motivation is bad the result is a good thing.

sure, it is really good....only the best for our workers

/s

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wait wait wait

so the employees send their data to the app? and it is anonymous?

how would activision know their employees baby data?

Oct 25, 2017
I can think of a few other solutions to the same problem...

Almost everything these corporations do is illegal. They just know how to navigate around the edges of that until the EU sues them.

May 26, 2018
soon: your babbies will be property of the company because you made them on company time with company resources

into the Bobby Kotick Memorial Orphanage with thee

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
wait wait wait

so the employees send their data to the app? and it is anonymous?

how would activision know their employees baby data?
They don't. And 20 women who had been diagnosed as infertile have since become pregnant. And it's voluntary, not required. So many hot takes gloss over those things.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if people are cool with using these apps when the company demands it...

there is always the option to work somewhere else, i don´t even know what is so cool to work at these mega companies, in the end you get a kick in the arse and can look for a new job anyways (as seen this year)

Yes they can work somewhere else. And there's an option for the employer not to be Big Brother too. Only mentioning the one side is pretty silly.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
This is the kind of fucked up surveillance we can keep expected in the future.

Kindly fuck off if you think this is a positive thing.

Yes I think trying to help with pregnancy issues is a good thing .. and that if this saves one pregnancy at this company no matter the motivation then it is a good thing.

Not even talking about what the app as a whole might do for fertility research.

And this app is usually voluntary at these companies

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking disgusting! Activision are a bunch of absolute cunts!

Fuck them so hard; that is absolutely beyond the pale! They have no right to that information at all!

I don't think this is inherently creepy? The woman in this case seemed well aware of what she was doing and where her data was going.

She was coerced into giving away her information. If she didn't comply, she almost certainly would've either lost her job, or had career opportunities taken away from her for refusing to comply.

Now Activision have information that they can use against her; or use to reduce her health insurance. Fuck this!

Oct 25, 2017
It's voluntary to allow the company access to your data and they offer incentives.
I get hesitancy over companies accessing your information but this is part of an overall initiative by Activision (and many other companies of course). This isn't the only way that they're offering incentives for fitness data from employees.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Fuck them so hard; that is absolutely beyond the pale! They have no right to that information at all!

She was coerced into giving away her information. If she didn't comply, she almost certainly would've either lost her job, or had career opportunities taken away from her for refusing to comply.

Now Activision have information that they can use against her; or use to reduce her health insurance. Fuck this!

no they dont have information.

._.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get the instinct to immediately assume the worst, but other than just not trusting a company period, why would you assume it was join this program or be fired or use this as blackmail apparently. Not all companies have an inherent hate for women or pregnant women in particular. My old company was Fortune 500 and straight up hired visibl pregnant women knowing they'd be in leave in a few months.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Threadwhining, drive-by posting, and accumulated warnings
I don't even understand why posting videos from Jim is allowed on this forum.

Oct 29, 2017
no they dont have information.

._.

How hard do you really think it is to work out which developers within your US-based video game development company are pregnant?

Really? Come on! Don't even try!

I get the instinct to immediately assume the worst, but other than just not trusting a company period, why would you assume it was join this program or be fired or use this as blackmail apparently. Not all companies have an inherent hate for women or pregnant women in particular. My old company was Fortune 500 and straight up hired visibl pregnant women knowing they'd be in leave in a few months.

Video game companies (and tech companies in general) are almost all inherently heavily misogynistic...

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Seems like it can help people and its anonymous/voluntary going by the comments, if Activision had the data however it would be creepy, but since they don't, maybe its best to wait were this goes

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

After reading the article, it's clear just how far off the mark your response was. Deliberately posting misinformation should be unacceptable on this forum.

There was NO coercion mentioned or insinuated in the article, definitely no threat to her job and the data aggregated is anonymized.

Jim Sterling and yourself seem to have set aside better judgement because of an existing antipathy towards activision.