• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this can be defined as a review considering it's called "Jimpressions" which would make me think it's more like a preview but regardless, you've got to listen to this critique of the released product. This isn't like other reviews, this is something special. There's something about the way a reviewer just casually weaves in and out of controversies while discussing the actual game that makes this hilarious. These oddly placed tangents that are intentional in trying to remind you where this game comes from is not something I think I have ever seen reviewers do for other games in the past.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned - Thread Derailment
I literally can't listen to his voice. Sounds like daggers slicing my eardrums. He just has that kind of timbre to his voice. Very shrill. Very very annoying to listen to.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I literally can't listen to his voice. Sounds like daggers slicing my eardrums. He just has that kind of timbre to his voice. Very shrill. Very very annoying to listen to.
What are you doing in this thread then? Do you think we care about your personal animosities with Jims voice?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love Jim.

Then why come in here....
tenor.gif

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Seems like he's really trying hard to hold back because it's gearbox.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's a review without Jim giving a score. But in his last BL3 controversy video a couple of days ago where he was talking about the early review scores, he mentioned how all these controversies and his feelings about Randy Pitchford were going to cloud his judgement about his BL3 review.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim's schtick is tiring. The review didn't even really feel like a review of the game but more a review of Randy Pitchford. I know it was sort of half self aware of this, but that didn't make it any better. That said people seem to like the formula of his videos so fair play. I'll keep checking them out hoping to see him improve.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim's schtick is tiring. The review didn't even really feel like a review of the game but more a review of Randy Pitchford. I know it was sort of half self aware of this, but that didn't make it any better. That said people seem to like the formula of his videos so fair play. I'll keep checking them out hoping to see him improve.
That's definitely not true, his big section on "all of the characters are obnoxious as hell and this ruins the villains and makes listening to the game exhausting" is definitely some important info that lines up with everything I've seen.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Jimpressions aren't reviews, so saying this doesn't feel like a review is an odd criticism.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
man its really unfortunate we are all subjected to jim sterling. if only there was some way we didn't have to watch his videos. Maybe we can start a petition to strike this law from the books?

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so self important you think people care about your opinion about someone's voice. Imagine.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Loved those little tangents, had to do a double-take on some of them as I had completely forgot about them lol.

I do like that Jim has gone with these Jimpression videos over reviews where people get pissed off at whatever number score he gives out rather than hear what actual critique is made of the game, both good and bad.

Borderlands 3 just doesn't seem like my cup of tea, not a bad game by any stretch, far from it, but the series just never grabbed me and based on this video and others I've read I don't feel like it right now. But if you enjoy it, fantastic! :)

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Lol this would have been a 3-5 minute video tops if he didn't stop taking all these side trips for sure. Seriously, it's almost genius how you forget this is supposed to be about gameplay impressions.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I always find it bizarre when prelaunch reviews have all these weird restrictions, then the game comes out and it's good and nobody has any major issues.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Great review!

For everyone complaining about his voice, here's an easy tip. Download the video, pitch shift it to whatever pitch you prefer, enjoy his words and thank God for Jim.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
THANK GOD FOR JIM, AND HIS UNBIASED REVIEW!
Great review!

For everyone complaining about his voice, here's an easy tip. Download the video, pitch shift it to whatever pitch you prefer, enjoy his words and thank God for Jim.
This whole thoughtless, cultish "Thank God for Jim" thing is far more obnoxious than Jim himself could ever be.

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thoughtless, cultish "Thank God for Jim" thing is far more obnoxious than Jim himself could ever be.

It's a play on Sterling's clearly sarcastic Jimquisition video sign-offs, though.

Now this particular video wasn't very Jimquisition-y at all. He was somewhat complementary to the game itself and seemed to be highlighting how competent the game seems to be despite all the various issues from the developer, publisher, and overall industry.

I say this as someone who struggles to appreciate the style which more recent Jimquisitions have exhibited.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Holy thread derail Batman. Can you haters give it a rest for at least one thread? You come across as pathetic. This video was completely fine and informative.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, is that really how you guys pronounce "controversy"?

Kind of reacting to it as I'm watching it though, and I still don't understand this idea that "it's just more of the same." The gunplay is immediately noticably better. Sliding and vaulting change how you navigate the map completely. Hell, the 3D map completely changes the map design overall. Boss fights are also greatly improved upon by adding actual mechanics to them rather than making them basic ass bullet sponges, which also ends up translating to making anointed enemies interesting to fight as well. There's so many improvements that I wonder how long it's been since some of these critics have touched Borderlands 2, because I really don't think that game has aged well at all.

Funny as hell that he's talking about the game and randomly sprinkling in the controversial bits.

Last edited:

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, it's a shame he usually has some good stuff to say.

When not playing up his shtick and saying what his viewers expect him to say.