• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
"You pay more taxes than Activision Blizzard".

Fuck those 800 people tho. Bunch of parasites.

Discuss? (Or cry in disgust)

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
I'm sorry, but someone for the love of God make a dedicated thread for this guy.

(now yell at me)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but someone for the love of God make a dedicated thread for this guy.

(now yell at me)
If we're not getting one dedicated thread for, say, any news related by anything racist said by some random asshole I don't see why Jim can't have his own thread when there's something new to talk about.

We can't have all that we want.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

(now yell at me)
New news, new thread. You shouldn't have clicked it if you hate the guy. However this particular issue isn't just Activision Blizzard. This is a serious flaw in the u.s. tax system that many, many companies take advantage of. It sucks. I hate taxes and I particularly hate that as the little guy there's nothing I can do about it.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think about shit like this too much or it just makes me want to die. It shouldn't be allowed. It's disgusting.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain this like I'm 5? Activision just set up a base in Amsterdam and say they don't need to pay tax?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope terrible video game capitalism is what finally pulls all those alt right weirdos into the (fiscal) left wing

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Bobby Kotick? more like Yoshi Kotick! Am I right, gamers?

Trickle down economics working as intended, as the Billionaires piss all over the rest of us.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Something needs to be done about all companies not paying taxes. It's not fair and we are literally subsidizing the rich.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought gaming companies couldn't make any money without microtransactions, now they can't even make money without evading taxes. Really makes you think.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean they are paying a ton of taxes in Holland (before any refund, of course)?

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You already know the answer

I'm not sure I do. Having simple taxes, myself, I am not sure how tax havens work. I watched the video and heard a lot about Federal (USA?) taxes, but I am not sure how it is possible for someone to completely avoid paying taxes on hundreds of millions of dollars.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Can someone explain this like I'm 5? Activision just set up a base in Amsterdam and say they don't need to pay tax?

A company can claim they're doing business out of anywhere they want. Even if it's blatantly obvious what's really going on. They get to avoid paying the U.S.A. taxman by saying they aren't part of the U.S.A's system. Unless of course being part of the system makes them money or grants other benefits, then by all means they'll claim those offers!!! "That's what makes them smart! ".
These loop holes piss me off to no end.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'm not sure I do. Having simple taxes, myself, I am not sure how tax havens work. I watched the video and heard a lot about Federal (USA?) taxes, but I am not sure how it is possible for someone to completely avoid paying taxes on hundreds of millions of dollars.
this article goes into detail about how exactly the system works in the Netherlands

https://thecorrespondent.com/6942/b...choice-for-us-companies/417639737658-b85252de

(its a p long article)

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As I understand whole situation US ław tells Activision should pay tax in Netherlands (Dutch Activision "owns" IP rights and thus profits) and Netherlands ław says Activision should pay tax in US. So they pay in neither country.

Last edited:

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Best thing Jim has used his platform to educate people on in quite some time.

I wonder how much traction this gains or outrage it generates compared to what virtual storefront a game debuts on or women being put in a war game.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
This pisses me off so hard. All those employees got laid off- meanwhile Act/Blizz had record profits and paid $0 taxes. This is just too awful to be true

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Best thing Jim has used his platform to educate people on in quite some time.

I wonder how much traction this gains or outrage it generates compared to what virtual storefront a game debuts on or women being put in a war game.

Zero. This practice has been going on for quite some time by American companies. Even Apple does it.

This pisses me off so hard. All those employees got laid off- meanwhile Act/Blizz had record profits and paid $0 taxes. This is just too awful to be true

Shareholders eat first and they are hungrier every year.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought gaming companies couldn't make any money without microtransactions, now they can't even make money without evading taxes. Really makes you think.

We should all probably give them our first born children as thralls so they can keep making games.

It's only fair.

On another note, threadwhining like a little baby in a Jim Sterling thread should not be a warning by now but a straight up week ban or something. No one's forcing you to enter a thread. Any thread. FOH with the same shit every time. Grow up.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Blame Trump and the GOP, and their tax cuts which have pushed federal deficits to all-time highs. Here's the report:

https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads...ce-Remains-Rampant-Under-New-Tax-Law_ITEP.pdf

Other companies in the list paying no US federal taxes include Amazon, Chevron, Delta, Halliburton, Honeywell, IBM, Netflix, and many more.

I often hear about evil Activision laying off people despite record revenue etc., but I rarely see it mentioned that this years numbers will be far below last years, or that Blizzard's revenue this year is going to be a multi-year low.

真棒!

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Blame Trump and the GOP, and their tax cuts which have pushed federal deficits to all-time highs. Here's the report:

https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads...ce-Remains-Rampant-Under-New-Tax-Law_ITEP.pdf

Other companies in the list paying no US federal taxes include Amazon, Chevron, Delta, Halliburton, Honeywell, IBM, Netflix, and many more.

I often hear about evil Activision laying off people despite record revenue etc., but I rarely see it mentioned that this years numbers will be far below last years, or that Blizzard's revenue this year is going to be a multi-year low.

uhhhh this has been going on for far longer than you or i have been alive bud

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Every time I see someone fight against people who want better wages, better healthcare, better anything I point them to stuff like this where the people making millions are getting rewarded for skipping the rules everyone else has to play by. It's just disgusting at this point.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
This is not Activisions fault - they are legally obliged to minimize their tax bill.

Blame the tax legislation that makes this possible.