• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 20, 2019
I'm sorry but Destruction All-Stars is not a AAA game. It went from a $70 game to a game included with PSN Plus. I'm not saying it can't be good but please don't try and act like it has the same funding as something like Horizon or even Spiderman Miles Morales. Returnal the verdict is still unknown. I thought the developer is rather a small developer? Looks interesting though.

How many cross-gen game led the way on the PS3 and the PS4 that were first party? I can only really think of Little Big Planet and MLB.

What you think is or isnt a AAA is not the question, the developers think it is.

Neither of those are AAA.

That is not for you to decided.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sony has always been good at supporting consoles right to the end but what big titles were released on the PS3 when it launched and when the PS4 launched that were cross gen games?

I just punched up Wikipedia here and it looks like there was a bunch of PS3 games from 2012 to 2014.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Grab Turismo 6 (released after the PS4 launch I think) and puppeteer are stuck on the PS3. They released Little Big Planet 3 and, at least two, MLB The Show games on both PS3 and PS4 simultaneously.
So really not much. It's obvious too much money would be left on the table to ignore the PS4. That's why we had Spiderman day one on both. It would have been unheard of earlier this year to even suggest the next Horizon would be cross-gen, which was very well known the those topics, but here we are.

I just punched up Wikipedia here and it looks like there was a bunch of PS3 games from 2012 to 2014.

Ok, so what were they that were also used to help sell the next generation? Like I said earlier, Sony is well known for supporting consoles right to the very end, what they are not known for is using AAA cross-gen titles to sell new hardware. MLB is an annual title and Pupetter is not exactly a title that sells hardware. GT6 is really the only game in the last 4 generations that I think applies.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This hasn't been confusing. Sony is employing a cross generation software strategy on a game by game basis.

Microsoft promised all their first party games for the first two years would be cross gen.

Nintendo has dabbled in cross gen releases, too. But they also tend not to support their consoles super well in the final years.
MS was straight up from the get go, even if people didn't like it

Sony unfortunately took the route of being sneaky, talk about generations, making it seem they were going to fully focus on PS5, show you a game and throw a ps5 logo (and leave out ps4), for then tell you in a blog that it's coming to ps4

Usually when you announce a game, you announce for what platform is coming. This isn't happening, they have already been asked if gow is ps5 exclusive and dodge the question? Why, just be straight up

Not a fan of this sneaky Sony

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck are they doing?

I'm so confused.

This Jim Ryan era sucks.

His era has actually started off as being one of the best PS generations ever. Launch games are fantastic. People need to remember his job isn't to cater to us for forum dwellers, his job is to cater to the entire PS ecosystem.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Ew. Cross-gen sucks. Already disappointed that Miles Morales was cross-gen. Horizon was a punch to the gut.

If you want to support PS4 make games that are designed from the ground up for PS4, games that PS5 can only play via BC.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Why do people think God of War will be ps5 exclusive when horizon isn't? Both had their first entries on ps4, it makes sense to allow those players to play their sequels as well

Plus horizon is a bigger game in scope, and that's still coming to a base PS4, I actually think God of War 2 is even more duable on ps4

I think because of this aswell

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Why would I mention a timed exclusive game not made by Sony with no actual release date? Nobody is suggesting Sony doesn't believe in generations but the comment was aimed solely at Microsoft's marketing, who will also have games made for new generations.

Microsoft won't have first party titles exclusively made for "next-gen" for the first year at best.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Well fuck me. Fully preparing to be disappointed when they announce the PS4 version of the next God of War via a line of text buried in a blog post next year.

A shame, as I'm sure they could've done some really cool stuff with the SSD and the different realms.

this is what they've done every generation - keep supporting the previous console until the wheels fall off. Why are people mad? xD
I see everyone saying this, but IIRC it's really never been the case that Sony did this much cross-gen stuff in the past. I think you people are misremembering or something.

Yes, God of War 2 released on PS2 back in '07. What other major Sony first party titles were released on PS2 after PS3 was out? I don't think there were any?

Then GT6 released on PS3 after the PS4 was out, but again, I think that was the only one? Every other major game from their first party studios was PS4 exclusive.

So in both cases, one major first party game released for the old system. Now we have most of their major releases being cross-gen for at least a whole year, if not more.

Yes, they always "supported" their old consoles, but that was largely via third party games. Everyone knows third parties tend to do cross-gen for the first few years, but Sony's first party output has traditionally moved on to the next gen much faster.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
This thread's hot takes continues to age poorly.

www.resetera.com

Matt Booty (Xbox): Our titles for the next year or two will not be next gen exclusive

Tried to paraphrase for the title, and searched for other threads saying this, but couldn’t find any. https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/ Interesting strategy. Makes sense from an install base perspective...
This thread is hilarious to read now lmao.

Thicc Enigma

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
tenor.gif

once the ps4 was released, outside of the show and gt6 released in 2013. I dont think any studio made a game for that system anymore
There have been MANY game releases for PS3 after 2013. It's 3rd party for the most part but there are some exclusives here and there as well.

New Games on PS3 - Metacritic

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
You supported the PS4 up to the final months with great games, you already did right by them. Time to left it in the past where it belongs.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft won't have first party titles exclusively made for "next-gen" for the first year at best.
Yeah, but they were upfront about it, even if they knew people wouldn't like it. Sony wasn't upfront about it.

And there's no more real next gen only exclusives from them anyways, you can play all their games on pc, or Android, and possibly on a streaking stick soon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
So really not much. It's obvious too much money would be left on the table to ignore the PS4. That's why we had Spiderman day one on both. It would have been unheard of earlier this year to even suggest the next Horizon would be cross-gen, which was very well known the those topics, but here we are.

Ok, so what were they that were also used to help sell the next generation? Like I said earlier, Sony is well known for supporting consoles right to the very end, what they are not known for is using AAA cross-gen titles to sell new hardware. MLB is an annual title and Pupetter is not exactly a title that sells hardware. GT6 is really the only game in the last 4 generations that I think applies.

Nah, tragically no ps4 version of gt6. There was last of us and Little big planet 3, though. Helldivers? probably some other ones. I don't really have time to pick through the list right now. either way, they were putting resources into PS3 development for a while there.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so mad at Sony right now!!! I've had it, I'm switching to a different platform that has next gen exclusive games. (¬‿¬)

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how for some "believing in generations" means limiting a game to next gen, even though it would make little to no difference as far as game design goes (since these games have been in development for years and long before console specs were finalized). We won't see true 100% next gen games till 2022, no matter whether they are exclusive to PS5 or not.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how that's not still true? They've already made a large PS5 exclusive game (Demon's Souls) with more on the way (Ratchet is just around the corner). Just because they're still supporting PS4 doesn't mean that they're not making exclusive PS5 content.

Yeah. There is exclusive content day one, and experiences that can only be had on next gen.
There are more cross gen titles this gen than before, but they have pretty much always supported the previous gen.
God of War 2 came out well after the PS3 was out.
LittleBigPlanet 3 was released on PS3 and PS4.

Jim Ryan has reached "this guy is eating crackers" level of absurdity.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so he straight up is admitting he lied before. I'm not shocked, he'll do whatever he can to secure "good marketing" even if it means completely lying

Did Jim Ryan shit on your cereal or something? What a strange take.

Yeah pretty much. I don't think the "We believe in generations" necessarily meant "absolutely no more PS4 games", but rather they also understand the desire to push next-generation hardware (through exclusives obviously) and we're already seeing that with Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank.

Exactly. They can still believe in generations while catering to over 110 million people on the PS4. It's not mutually exclusive. There are a lot of people whom are struggling in the pandemic financially, and I'm sure Sony know this, so it would be unwise for them to cut them out completely to cater the new crowd. Some of this entitlement needs to stop.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Yeah, but they were upfront about it, even if they knew people wouldn't like it. Sony wasn't upfront about it.

And there's no more real next gen only exclusives from them anyways, you can play all their games on pc, or Android, and possibly on a streaking stick soon

Except Sony was upfront about it? Do they have next-gen exclusives or not?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that's not still true? They've already made a large PS5 exclusive game (Demon's Souls) with more on the way (Ratchet is just around the corner). Just because they're still supporting PS4 doesn't mean that they're not making exclusive PS5 content.
So is Ratchet confirmed to be PS5 only? It's my most anticipated PS5 title when I get one in 2027.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
They are not the ones who used the marketing slogan we believe in generations so I'm not sure what your point is. Flight Sim is already out by the way.

Yeah, that marketing slogan isn't wrong. They have plenty of next-gen exclusives coming and a major one already released. So clearly they "believe in generations" lol. Hell, they even started a new controller series.

Add God of War to the list: https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1306385083725643777

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/flight-simulator-xbox-release-shared-progress-7043 Flight Sim is coming to Xbox One.

Oct 30, 2017
MS was straight up from the get go, even if people didn't like it

Sony unfortunately took the route of being sneaky, talk about generations, making it seem they were going to fully focus on PS5, show you a game and throw a ps5 logo (and leave out ps4), for then tell you in a blog that it's coming to ps4

Usually when you announce a game, you announce for what platform is coming. This isn't happening, they have already been asked if gow is ps5 exclusive and dodge the question? Why, just be straight up

Not a fan of this sneaky Sony
Dude you're just relitigating a several month old story.

The poster straight up said they were confused. There's nothing to be confused about. Sony's cross gen strategy is on a game by game basis.

The information will be made available when they're ready. Simply put, when information is ready to be released, it will be released. Jim Ryan simply isn't going to divulge information about a project until the team is ready to do so. They aren't being straight up. This is about Sony not deviating from their controlled release of information.

REVIII is releasing in less than a year and we just found out like a month or two ago that they are still exploring the possibilities of a cross gen release. Sony would be better off releasing details when they are ready to discuss the project further.

But no, games get announced all the time without the exact platforms being finalized all the time. You can throw a lot of easy softball questions to developers about their games in development, and they still might not answer you because they don't want to divulge information until they choose to do so.

Jim Ryan still believes in generations and still believes in developing games exclusive to new consoles. They have already done so.

I just don't see the problem anymore. It's pretty clear now that Sony is adopting a cross generation strategy. The fact they we were a bit surprised in September about the extent of this strategy is just old news.

Nothing Jim Ryan saying today should be a big deal.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
PS4 gen didn't really start till 2015 did it, I only remember playing Infamous+First light in 2014 and LBP (which was stupidly cross-gen), the rest were all cross-gen like Destiny, Far Cry, Shadow of Mordor (Which was ass on last gen), Alien isolation etc etc etc

AC Unity felt like the biggest leap in such a short time frame

PS5 starting in 2022 is fine, we already know that there's a next gen Battlefield on the way for example.

I really hope that FF16 is PS5 only, it almost certainly is

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Dont know why people are freaking out. Sony cross gen games look native next gen on PS5, not so much with most of the 3rd party multiplats and people here act like that's the treatment Sony 1st party gives their games when that couldn't be further from the truth. On top of that they are releasing native next gen games. Demons Souls, next up is Ratchet and even 3rd party like Godfall are next gen native. Returnal as well.