• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Because I rather the majority of the gaming community be able to enjoy games this close to next gens release? Were not even a year into the life cycle of these consoles, there's plenty of time for games to take full advantage of what next gen is capable of and its not like were not getting glimpses of that either with demon souls being a full on exclusive.

My primary concern is wanting to play a good game, so far spider man miles morales was a fantastic game on the ps5 and im sure people enjoyed it all the same on the ps4. Before Zero Dawn was confirmed to also be cross gen title people thought it looked amazing but suddenly its disappointing? It makes no sense. Let the games speak for themselves.

Also yes I would hope the next MHW is cross gen if it plans on being released any time soon, I want the franchise to see as much success as possible, its like being mad at the switch game being released because its not as good looking as world. At the end of the day a good game is simply a good game.

I mean by this same logic shouldn't you be pissed that the Switch is getting MonHun as an exclusive lol?

It's OK to be disappointed that a title isn't going to take full advantage of their new machine.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I fear that when about a year from now I'll look back at the first year of the PS5 I come to the conclusion that it's just a PS4Pro v2 at that moment. It's a great console but it needs games which take full advantage of the system, not prettier and better running PS4 games. Really the only game on the horizon which looks to be that is Ratchet.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Most Sony made Ps5 games aren't coming to PS4 tho?

PS5 games coming to PS4:
  • Sackboy
  • Horizon 2
  • Miles Morales

PS5 games for Ps5 only (exclusive by Sony tho Xbox buying Zenimax makes this weird)​

• God of War Ragnarok​
  • Demon's Souls​
  • Ratchet & Clank​
  • Destruction All Stars​
  • Astro's Playroom​
  • Returnal​
  • Gran Turismo 7​
  • Deathloop​
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo​
  • Final Fantasy 16​

Deathloop, Ghostwire, FF16 are not Sony games. God of War..... wouldn't be at all surprised if it has a ps4 version.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I just looked up the 'generation's quote..

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

.. and I can't believe people read that to mean no cross-gen games.

Jun 6, 2018
There's not much else they can say or do until they can guarantee people can get a PS5. Even with the prices of these things a lot of people im assuming are still happy enough to play their ps4 anyway

Oct 27, 2017
What is a generation exactly?

Here are features unique to PS5:

-The activity cards
-Dual Sense
-3D Audio
-Very fast SSD that the whole console is designed around
-Screen splitter that allows you to talk with friends using camera or watch youtube while playing games
-A new UI

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
They absolutely used the generations talk to put a lid on MS. You could argue that they were technically right but we know what the implication was and you only have to go back to those threads (before they announced their cross gen games) to see how it was received. It was used as stupid console war ammo but suddenly it's not only ok, but expected? Lol.

I don't mind them supporting PS4. It doesn't make me enjoy my PS5 any less and I've had a great time with both Miles and Sackboy. But I'm also not going to act like there isn't some moonwalking going on. That benefits me none.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Untill u make stuff like gowr or horizon ps5 only i wont buy ps5.
I also wont buy them on ps4.
Funny Jimbo, isnt it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
www.gamesindustry.biz

Sony's Jim Ryan: “We are going to launch PS5 this holiday and we're going to launch globally"

"A great deal has happened since we last spoke. Terrible things happening in the world, which puts everything that you …
If he said this knowing that most PS5 games are going to PS4, it was a dumb thing to say.
So exactly what they are doing? PS5 has features and benefits the PS4 does not and already getting games it's not. He pretty much just saying the same thing here, PS4 will get some, but we are moving over to PS5 sooner rather than later. Main difference is they are just handling that transition better (no more big old gen exclusives, like what happened with PS2 to PS3 and PS3 to PS4).

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What crow? Sony has seemingly changed their stance to pivot towards Xbox's cross-gen message.

That's from May last year. You can pretend like people were reading too much into that, but you would be wrong.

And what about the below?
They never changed their message mislead maybe but not change.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
eKJpQ9Y.gif

Someone needs to make a new version of this with the PS4.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
Yeah, I'm not buying a new console to play cross gen titles. Will hold off to buy a new ps5 for the next years.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
Have they said as much?

Nah, but many folks already said like this is just GT Sports with full blown story mode etc.

I think when cross gen suits one of their games next year, its the racing game...

otherwise they want to sell 30m consoles by end next year.... dont know if we should give a fuck aout what those ceos say these days.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Go for it. A lot of players stay on that platform for a while into the next gen. They need some games too, just make it compatible with PS5 and I'm good

Right

Nov 24, 2017
What is a generation exactly?

Here are features unique to PS5:

-The activity cards
-Dual Sense
-3D Audio
-Very fast SSD that the whole console is designed around
-Screen splitter that allows you to talk with friends using camera or watch youtube while playing games
-A new UI

And a CPU that is better than PS3's

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Opportunity to make more money.
I said this months ago and was shot down. It is very odd how some can't get over if a game is good or not should be the most important thing. There is no way Sony is going to invest heavily in PS5 only titles if they have over 100 million current customers who haven't upgraded and likely won't for at least a year. Just look at their launch line-up, it was driven by a remake for the hardcore who are the early adopters of every new generation. I think Ratchet is the only confirmed PS5 only game coming up from Sony that is AAA isn't it? That probably won't be out until March/April.

They absolutely used the generations talk to put a lid on MS. You could argue that they were technically right but we know what the implication was and you only have to go back to those threads (before they announced their cross gen games) to see how it was received. It was used as stupid console war ammo but suddenly it's not only ok, but expected? Lol.

I don't mind them supporting PS4. It doesn't make me enjoy my PS5 any less and I've had a great time with both Miles and Sackboy. But I'm also not going to act like there isn't some moonwalking going on. That benefits me none.

Spot on.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't see how that's not still true? They've already made a large PS5 exclusive game (Demon's Souls) with more on the way (Ratchet is just around the corner). Just because they're still supporting PS4 doesn't mean that they're not making exclusive PS5 content.
Yeah pretty much. I don't think the "We believe in generations" necessarily meant "absolutely no more PS4 games", but rather they also understand the desire to push next-generation hardware (through exclusives obviously) and we're already seeing that with Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to find some double standard.

You can't talk about GOW here without cross-gen being the main topic.
There is very much a double standard here, but I digress. There isn't much to argue about considering we plainly disagree, I'm not accusing you in particular of having a double standard, but the overall climate here seems obvious.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I said this months ago and was shot down. It is very odd how some can't get over if a game is good or not should be the most important thing. There is no way Sony is going to invest heavily in PS5 only titles if they have over 100 million current customers who haven't upgraded and likely won't for at least a year. Just look at their launch line-up, it was driven by a remake for the hardcore who are the early adopters of every new generation. I think Ratchet is the only confirmed PS5 only game coming up from Sony that is AAA isn't it? That probably won't be out until March/April.

We've already seen heavy investment with the two games you mentioned lol

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah pretty much. I don't think the "We believe in generations" necessarily meant "absolutely no more PS4 games", but rather they also understand the desire to push next-generation hardware (through exclusives obviously) and we're already seeing that with Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank.
Isn't Destruction All Stars PS5 only as well?

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Returnal forgotten yet again.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Ah, so he straight up is admitting he lied before. I'm not shocked, he'll do whatever he can to secure "good marketing" even if it means completely lying

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But all the major exclusives are not cross gen. Demon's Souls isn't, Ratchet and Clank won't be and so on.

I'm not saying the PS5 won't have any exclusive games for years, especially given smaller titles like Ratchet and Clank are coming and there'll be more remakes like Demons Souls for sure, but what else is there for you to say "and so on" for? Demons Souls is a remake and it's hardly like the PS4 couldn't have handled the game, but Sony wanted to launch the console with a shiny first party exclusive so PS4 owners are missing out on it for no reason.

When I say major exclusives, I mean games like Miles Morales, Horizon 2 and God of War 2 which are all (very likely) to be on the PS4 as well as the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
lousy choice of words.

They should roll back that "we believe in generations" by putting it in a new "what we meant with this never was that xyz, but abc"-context.
Or they should double down on the "believe in generations" by saying that all cross-gen first party games will have the PS5 as the lead development platform and it's most important to them that PS5 early adopters and Playstation fans feel good about their purchases, while also not leaving PS4 owners behind "in this economy, bla, think of the children, bla"...

Compare this Sony narrative to the days of the late PS3/early PS4 era with Jack Tretton, Shu Yoshida and Adam Boyes... those guys were fun and they kicked ass.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
good, keep making money and funding great experiences from talented people.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
I mean by this same logic shouldn't you be pissed that the Switch is getting MonHun as an exclusive lol?

It's OK to be disappointed that a title isn't going to take full advantage of their new machine.

I'm not a fan of it but am glad others will get to enjoy it, this is more like being mad that the rumored pc version is going to look bad in comparison to world due to the game being made for the switch.

I'm not saying its not okay to be disappointed either its just crazy that some people think a game being cross gen is a major negative/con this close to launch. Its always been this way so I don't see why expectations have changed for both sony and microsoft.

Jan 20, 2019

Spot on.

Desctruction All Stars and Returnal are coming to ps5 exclusive.

So, that is 3 AAA titles in the first half of 2021