• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
"And I emphasize value as opposed to price"

Honestly that's the big takeaway here. Whatever the price is, they are obviously not comfortable with it. Otherwise you don't keep saying things like that.

They know Lockhart is going to be cheaper.
They think, and they want to sell the idea, that even tho Lockhart is going to be cheaper PS5 offers better value.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Well no shit. That was the impressive thing about their presentation, they met expectations by barely dipping into the WWS armory.

We saw two games from Insomniac, one from GG, and one from PD. GG has a second AAA team working on something, and Insomniac has a smaller third team, likely working on VR. Outside that literally all of their studios still have things to show for next gen, some multiple projects. That doesn't even get into 2nd party/3rd party/Indie partnerships.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Now maybe one of them will turn out to be an RPG.

I doubt it, because Sony seems determined to torture me in some kind of insane social experiment, but it would be lovely if one of them did end up being an RPG.

"And I emphasize value as opposed to price"

Honestly that's the big takeaway here. Whatever the price is, they are obviously not comfortable with it. Otherwise you don't keep saying things like that.

Yeah. I've never been swayed by the "value" argument. That's the same "we know our system is gonna be the most expensive but you should buy it anyway" crap they tried to peddle in the PS3 generation and Microsoft tried to give us this gen. It's never a solid argument for anyone but the most ardent of early adopters.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Wait people were angry because they didn't show more games?
I read it as people being angry because they didn't show the games they were expecting (like Silent Hill reboot) or because of the indie showing ("where are my AAA games?"). Either dissatisfaction lead to a statement of "is that all you have coming for the PS5?"

I personally did leave the presentation a little worried about the launch lineup, given you know most of those games aren't coming this year.

Also, the logic of "quality over quantity" seems odd...does that mean the games held back are of worse quality than those shown? As there were some pretty poor showing games in that reel and it wouldn't make me excited to see what they left out. I'm sure this is just a misstatement.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wait people were angry because they didn't show more games?

Haven't they seen the trend with PS3 and PS4. Sony start slow and then mid gen they churning out the games.
Sony's show was fantastic. I guess some folks need to see ND or SSM games to feel the same lol.

I can't see how any reasonable person would think that's a slow start though. Coming out the gate and showing Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, GT7, Horizon 2 and new IP like Destruction AllStars and Returnal is anything but...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
New Silent Hill...

New Ape Escape...

New first-party JRPG...

Please... >_<

giphy.gif

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They shouldve asked him...
We get the SSD is amazing... but what the hell is Polyphony Digital doing with it if tgey have textures and shadows popping up as you drive through a track?

PD seems to not be optimising the game for the SSD and Im very disappointed by this. Such a shame.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Well, maybe you get your wish. I'd personally hope for something else. Like Halo, I've had enough and wanna see what else there is on offer, but maybe (and hopefully this applies to Infinite as well) I'm pleasantly surprised.

hmm, i can give them another (last) chance and hoping to be pleasantly surprised too.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Jim, please PLEEEEASE announce Uncharted 5. I will buy two PS5s and paint your face on one and dedicate a shrine to you in my closet PLEASE

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's show was fantastic. I guess some folks need to see ND or SSM games to feel the same lol.

I can't see how anyone would think that's a slow start? Coming out the gate and showing Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, GT7, Returnal, Destruction AllStars, and Horizon 2 is anything but...

If you're primarily into Japanese games or RPGs it was a pretty slow show.

Now, obviously, the launch year of a console is pretty much NEVER the time you get doused in tons of huge AAA JRPGs or WRPGs, but the fact we went the whole show without even one of them being announced was pretty noticeable.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Do we know if milles morales and astros playroom are the only first party launch titles for now?

I think the reality of a COVID-19 world right now is that a lot of the titles that are intended to be launch or launch window are instead not having dates publically announced quite yet, since there's a chance they might slip and getting the date right the first time is always the preferable option.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
We get the SSD is amazing... but what the hell is Polyphony Digital doing with it if tgey have textures and shadows popping up as you drive through a track?

PD seems to not be optimising the game for the SSD and Im very disappointed by this. Such a shame.
In before that was GTS with a new track running on PS5's boost mode backward compatibility.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

I can't see how any reasonable person would think that's a slow start though. Coming out the gate and showing Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, GT7, Horizon 2 and new IP like Destruction AllStars and Returnal is anything but...
Indeed it's definitely stronger than any previous PlayStation generation I can think of. Usually the first year is "you will buy this new PlayStation because it's a PlayStation".

This time, it's different. Ryan has already said they know they can't be complacent. They realise the competition have upped their game. They've got to show clear differentiation from Switch for example, and the benefits of buying a home console instead of a hybrid. They've got increased competition from Microsoft who hasn't been exactly subtle about their desire to strongly increase investment in content. And then competition from new players like Stadia and a potentially changing market in the next few years as streaming usage increases.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017

Now, obviously, the launch year of a console is pretty much NEVER the time you get doused in tons of huge AAA JRPGs or WRPGs, but the fact we went the whole show without even one of them being announced was pretty noticeable.

Project Athia, Demon's Souls?

Sure, one of them is still early enough to have a working title and the other one is a remake of a Japanese RPG by a western developer, but there certainly wasn't nothing for the RPG fan.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In before that was GTS with a new track running on PS5's boost mode backward compatibility.
It looked like GT Sport with Raytracing..
Honestly, I play GT Sport every day, and when conpared to 4K/HDR... Sport looked better than the 1080P reveal trailer.

Watched the trailer in 4K afterwards..and still not impressed.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Project Athia, Demon's Souls?

Sure, one of them is still early enough to have a working title and the other one is a remake of a Japanese RPG by a western developer, but there certainly wasn't nothing for the RPG fan.

Athia doesn't look like an RPG at all, so I don't know why anyone who's desperate for RPGs would look at a 30-second open world concept trailer and go "THAT'S THE GOOD STUFF", y'know?

It just looks like yet another open world third person action game with a solo protagonist.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017

What are you talking about, Demon's Soul and Project Athia were exactly that.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Guerrilla MP game
Last of Us MP game
Unnamed San Diego Studio Title
Silent Hill
God of War (2018) sequel

Nov 2, 2017

No matter how fast your SSD is the GPU still needs to render everything that is being shown. Pop in & LOD help reduce the load on the GPU so you'll still see games with pop in even with an SSD. I mean missing shadows or lower quality shadows in the distance are things the GPU does not need to render or render at lower quality.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the reality of a COVID-19 world right now is that a lot of the titles that are intended to be launch or launch window are instead not having dates publically announced quite yet, since there's a chance they might slip and getting the date right the first time is always the preferable option.

that makes sense. Part of me hope that ratchet and gran turismo are able to eek in at launch, but im not gonna get my hopes up.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Those are some harsh comments, but I completely agree with you. As a big GT Sport fan I thought GT7 looked the least impressive of the games shown. If they claimed it was GT Sport or a slightly upgraded PS5 version of GT Sport I would've believed it without hesitation.

eightg4

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
3 years of no new titles being announced -- of course Sony have a strong stable of new gaming in the pipeline.

WHat do you mean no new titles being annouced ? Since 2017 and the relase of Horizon Zero Dawn (2017), we had Days Gone (early 2019 should have come earlier but due to devloppment issues), God Of War (2018), Spiderman (and a DLC) in 2018, Death STranding (2019), and yet to come Last Of US Part2 (should have arrived late 2019, early 2020 cause of dev issues and COVID19), FF7Remake and Ghost Of Tsushima.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Horizon and Demons Souls are RPGs.
Whether you consider them as RPGs or not is another discussion that honestly is not revelant.
The thing is you wanted them announce the kind of RPG that you want, that you like...and let´s be honest, with all respect, to announce something that you like it´s almost an impossible mission.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony first-party pipeline is very mature at this stage.

Best launch window / first year lineup I've seen in a long time.

WHat do you mean no new titles being annouced ? Since 2017 and the relase of Horizon Zero Dawn (2017), we had Days Gone (early 2019 should have come earlier but due to devloppment issues), God Of War (2018), Spiderman (and a DLC) in 2018, Death STranding (2019), and yet to come Last Of US Part2 (should have arrived late 2019, early 2020 cause of dev issues and COVID19), FF7Remake and Ghost Of Tsushima.
They are saying games being announced, not games being released.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the fixation with Ryan's comments about 'value'. I get that everyone wants to know the price, but it's the same rhetoric they've used with all their consoles, both the expensive ones (PS3) and the not so-expensive ones (PS4 most recently). It's not a brand they've ever wanted to be defined by cheapness. 5 will obviously be more expensive than 4 was, but to cite a PS3-style pricing disaster as the most likely implication of these comments, is some major 'concern'.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
My read: Expect more game announcements, expect them to be great, don't expect them to be available at launch.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Yep.
From a published perspective only they announced :
- 2 RPGs
- 1 OW Adventure
- 1 Racing
- 1 TPS
- 3 Platforms
- 1 I honestly don´t know how to categorize your game Shinobi but it looked like a lot of fun lol ( Sports maybe ? )

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think, bar any covid-19 delays, all the PS Studios are mostly coming in the first 6 months, and I expect just the same amount of titles in the second half of the year.
Which would make the 1st year of the PS5 an impressive effort.

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
I saw ratchet falling into the void like a loading screen. For like 2 seconds, i know, but it was like a short corridor for me, it wasnt instantaneously.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And heavenly sword.

Man, that Playstation-exclusives era was really weird. You can tell sony was putting money on those exclusives, and still failing to deliver.

The PS3 was such a weird console. It had a ton of really cool games in those first few years, but NOBODY gave a shit about it until MGS4 and FFXIII came out on it. The system literally just WOKE UP after those two games released. I've never seen something like that happen before, or since, really..

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Athia doesn't look like an RPG at all, so I don't know why anyone who's desperate for RPGs would look at a 30-second open world concept trailer and go "THAT'S THE GOOD STUFF", y'know?

It just looks like yet another open world third person action game with a solo protagonist.

Who knows how much of an RPG is it, but personally it reminded me a bit of Final Fantasy XV in the way the character moved and her use of magic. Sure, some of that might just be from the engine and what we expect from the studio in question, but I'll be shocked if it's not an Action RPG.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I like to see a new Killzone or Resistance or at least a remaster for the two of them.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Just the tip of the iceberg. It's going to be a fantastic generation software-wise.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Big new IPs from Capcom and SE, RE8, Ghostwire, Gran Turismo, Astro Bot etc.

The JP representation was fine.

And they still have their August and Japanese events still to come.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
That's why he said announced, since October 2017 with Ghost of Tsushima we don't have a major Playstation game being announced, so we are seeing the first fruits of that ''silent'' period. But it is obvious that in relation to game releases the last few years have been incredible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Big new IPs from Capcom and SE, RE8, Ghostwire, Astro Bot etc.

The JP representation was fine.

No need to go overboard when they still their August and Japanese events still to come..

Do we even know for certain if there's going to be a Japan-specific event? Like even the August one is mostly just speculation based on what Jeff Grubb said.

But yeah, hopefully you're right at least ONE of those events brings a new game for the people who buy consoles primarily for RPGs.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we even know for certain if there's going to be a Japan-specific event? Like even the August one is mostly just speculation based on what Jeff Grubb said.

But yeah, hopefully you're right at least ONE of those events brings a new game for the people who buy consoles primarily for RPGs.

No confirmation yet but personally I find it hard to believe that Sony won't have an event for Japan.

Especially since it's a global launch this time unlike with the PS4.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty darn impressed with what they showed last Thursday, and great to hear they have a lot more in production. It is going to be a great gen...possibly even better than the current one!

Transverse shots were likely gameplay. So that would be the one riding through the grass in front of the massive machine, and the one infront of the Golden Gate Bridge. Perhaps the one running through the jungle to the big vista as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw ratchet falling into the void like a loading screen. For like 2 seconds, i know, but it was like a short corridor for me, it wasnt instantaneously.
To be fair to the actual developers - in the presentation on Thursday Insomniac stated 'almost instantaneously' not instantaneously. Nonetheless still very impressive to load a whole level of detail in that time.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Ready at Dawn game,
San Diego game,
SSM game,
second game from Guerilla MP oriented,
another game from Japan Studio,
Kojima game,
Bend game
NDog new game
London Studios new game

I think those ones will happen

Is Ready at Dawn still close to Sony? I thought the two kinda drifted apart after the underwhelming reception of The Order 1886.

I really like the studio and i had fun with The Order so i would definitely be open to a sequel to 1886 or even something for PS VR, given their experience with Lone Echo.