• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
How important are exclusives like Spider Man: Mile Morales and Gran Turismo 7 to this new machine?
Exclusive games are obviously one point of difference between our system and others.

But I really call out the criteria of quality rather than necessarily exclusivity. And when I look at our worldwide studios, it's really the quality of the work that they produce that counts.

At the moment, we seem to be talking about better graphics and faster load times, but what else does next-gen offer?

We think 3D audio is a paradigm shift. We think the functionality of the new controller, which again has to be experienced to be fully appreciated, is a paradigm shift. We think the the SSD [solid state drive] storage mechanism, and the way that it can actually help you move between worlds in games and eliminate loading times is a paradigm shift.

You know, we went to great lengths to show that off with considerable length in The Ratchet and Clank demo. You saw the way that Ratchet was moving from world to world. On previous generations, the character would have needed to walk down a corridor while loading was going on in the background. Now it just happens instantaneously.

There was a really varied mix of games in the presentation - big PlayStation franchises, but also quite a bit of stuff from smaller studios, which seems quite an unusual decision for the very first gameplay reveal for a new console.

We wanted triple-A games that would fully demonstrate the horsepower of the machine. But some of these smaller games are making very cool and innovative use of the new features of the console. So we allowed the show to give a sense of the sheer range of gameplay experience that will be available on PlayStation 5. And this is just the start. There are so many more games that we have in development.

The PS5 event was postponed by a week as a result of the unrest in the United States at the moment. Did that situation lead to any changes in the content shown or anything else in today's presentation?

No, it did not.

And as we enter a period of economic uncertainty, is it a good time to be releasing a new machine?

Conventional wisdom and history show that our business is one of the more recession-proof businesses. But I think this will sharpen our need to ensure that we focus on getting the value equation right. And I emphasise value as opposed to price.

We must be more attentive than ever before to ensure that the overall value proposition in terms of the console and the games - the range of games, the quality of games, the quantity of games - makes this something that our community aspires towards.

The BBC article

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Good.
But before we talk about more games, what about showing gameplay and dates for the ones you announced?

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
The real question is how many of those unannounced games will actually come out anytime soon. The first showcase was cool but there was nothing definitive that said I need to get this day 1.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait people were angry because they didn't show more games?

Haven't they seen the trend with PS3 and PS4. Sony start slow and then mid gen they churning out the games.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 event was postponed by a week as a result of the unrest in the United States at the moment. Did that situation lead to any changes in the content shown or anything else in today's presentation?

No, it did not.
But FF16 and Silent Hill were pushed to August! (Can't wait for more gems once August arrives 😂 )

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Really? I assumed that was literally everything they have in development right now.

Big scoopz yo.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Clever move to keep the Jak bomb for last. I don't blame them.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Haven't they seen the trend with PS3 and PS4. Sony start slow and then mid gen they churning out the games.

Horizon II: Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a "slow start"? I think Sony actually overdelivered. And yes, it should only get better.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I mean, of the presentation I didn't think games was even close to the worst part. Hell, it was the best part.

The problem I have is that I've got SSD on my PC and my Xbox and PS4, I've got Atmos on my Xbox and the controller is something I'll take his word for but I've got an elite and prefer the stick placement that the Switch Pro and Xbox have. These things he's hammering home, while good, don't excite me as much.

Stick with the games, we know what happened last time a company revealed something and didn't stay with games games games games.

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon II: Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a "slow start"? I think Sony actually overdelivered. And yes, it should only get better.

Horizon won't be out for a few years, so yes it will be a slow start like last time because a lot of their studios have just released or finished making games.

Jan 11, 2020
My take in the PS5 event was a lot of quantity not so much quality. A few titles were intriguing ofc.. but there was a lot of filler. :)

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Ready at Dawn game,
San Diego game,
SSM game,
second game from Guerilla MP oriented,
another game from Japan Studio,
Kojima game,
Bend game
NDog new game
London Studios new game

I think those ones will happen

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
But FF16 and Silent Hill were pushed to August! (Can't wait for more gems once August arrives 😂 )

Just as a point of clarification, the 'games being pushed' rumor wasn't because of the BLM movement. The rumor for the June showcase having some games pushed out of it was due to the Inside Xbox backlash, and Sony wanting to emphasize only showing games that were running on the PS5.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
3 years of no new titles being announced -- of course Sony have a strong stable of new gaming in the pipeline.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon won't be out for a few years

bmwcMg3.gif

100% a 2021 game.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
"And I emphasize value as opposed to price"

Honestly that's the big takeaway here. Whatever the price is, they are obviously not comfortable with it. Otherwise you don't keep saying things like that.

Nov 11, 2017
I mean.. Jim I would hope so, that would be quiet concerning if you didn't have games in development even if they were 2023

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Horizon won't be out for a few years, so yes it will be a slow start like last time because a lot of their studios have just released or finished making games.

Horizon came out in early 2017, and has been in development for over 3 years at this point. Unless you expect the sequel to take 5+ years, it's more likely than not it'll be out next year, probably holiday.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

they got angry because it didnt show rumored games like Silent Hill or final fantasy 16.

edit: altho the lack of clarification about the games show, when to see some of them and what the launch lineup of the PS5 is was also a big part of that.

but I am pretty sure sony is simply not willing to blow their load during one event when Xbox is still to reveal their games. Its always good to hold back a few trump cards, like extra heavy hitting game reveals and price/features.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The only game I think would've been pulled if it were in the presentation in that upcoming game Ready or Not. I'm not even sure how you'd even begin to promote that game in the current climate.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Guerilla is hiring MP devs like crazy, they are big enough and they incorporated their second team a few years back.
Well, maybe you get your wish. I'd personally hope for something else. Like Halo, I've had enough and wanna see what else there is on offer, but maybe (and hopefully this applies to Infinite as well) I'm pleasantly surprised.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017

People here were disappointed enough that they started crowdsourcing fanfiction about Sony's August Megaton Knackstravaganva, for what it's worth.