• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly.
This forum's attitude to games reaching more people continues to be embarrassing.

This forum wants next gen only games from day 1, games to not ever go up in price and consoles to be as cheap as possible in huge plentiful quantities with next gen everything and they want it all in launch period.

Like, you just gotta ignore people my guy. Everything here is always treated as disaster when it isn't a huge deal.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.
This forum's attitude to games reaching more people continues to be embarrassing.
Is the issue really about it reaching more people or that Sony was just not up front?
What did they achieve by not saying back in June that these titles will also come to ps4?
To me its clear that deception was used to build hype, unless Sony decided after June 2020 to make them cross gen. If thats the case them coming out and saying it was last minute will squash this right away but....

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
i guess I just didn't? Hearing Horizon is cross gen is certainly news but all that PR speak at the beginning of the gen never means anything. The console launches Nov 2020. Having cross gen games in 2021 is not surprising to me. Ratchet isn't cross gen for example. Ragnarok probably wont be either (though I doubt Ragnarok will even come out in 2021)

Do we not know what we're getting into at console launches?
The newest console to launch dropped the previous entries (switch with wiiu/3ds), this is what was expected after sony's remarks and now horizon FW is a compromised title.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
What i find funny is how people see Forbidden West and think "this next gen!!" and then they're told it'll also be on ps4 (in who knows what quality) and they're now puking on its terrible ps4 limited presentation..

Again, there are many ways to do cross gen. I mean Virtua Fighter 3 once had a Sega Saturn port. Doesn't mean it was a fake Dreamcast game..

We were getting side by side zoomed in pics of Aloy in the FW trailer.

People were in there straight up saying they couldn't see the difference but were being shut down lol.

Now that the cat is out of the bag people see the games as dated before they are even released.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone should understand by now that he HAS TO say this to save whatever face he has left to save.

Like I said in another thread he is master bullshitter.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Their games reaching as many people as possible (especially considering their enormous PS4 install base) isn't the issue as much as basically denying that they had a very similar strategy to Microsoft until the 11th hour. They were essentially trashing Microsoft for doing this when in fact they weren't that far removed from that strategy themselves. Microsoft at least was very upfront about it the entire time and got a lot of flack for it.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt people say ms was lying when they said the same thing

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Graphical features? Controller features? Sure. But not new gameplay features not possible on PS4. Not new rendering techniques that PS4 couldn't muster.

Miles I can understand, its a Lost Legacy spinoff of a firmly gen 8 game and Marvel probably wants that userbase for max sales potential. Horizon though? Fuckin hell that one hurts.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Exactly.
Don't ask an enthusiast forum to react outside of the lens of enthusiasts.

It's natural for enthusiasts who stay on the bleeding edge of technology to want said technology to be leveraged to the fullest.

No one is saying "it's bad games reach more players".

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The newest console to launch dropped the previous entries (switch with wiiu/3ds), this is what was expected after sony's remarks and now horizon FW is a compromised title.

The biggest launch game on Switch was a fucking WiiU game lol. I played 200 hours of BOTW on my WiiU. Then a month later they launched a port of Mario Kart 8 which is by far the biggest game on the system. I'm sorry but lol, what are you talking about?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really believe Sony has misrepresented and almost sabotaged their next-gen launch. With this, the confusion on their wording about PC ports, and the pre-order situation (which I realize isn't entirely on them, but still) I have lost a lot of enthusiasm.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, it's not convincing. That's PR talk.

Those games will absolutely be held back, but the PS4 is already a high baseline. Spider-Man 2018 and Horizon Zero Dawn are still two of the best looking games around. The industry hasn't really eclipsed them yet, so there's no doubt these sequels are going to be two of the most impressive games to come out in the next year.

I mean, held back or not, that Miles gameplay looked incredible, so what does it even matter in real terms.
I don't think people are complaining about graphics. You're still tied down to a 10 year old tablet cpu and a slow HDD.
Either way, if these weren't coming to ps4 and were made from the ground up, they wouldn't be coming in 2021. Maybe some should realize that.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Well, backporting is a thing, but if Horizon really is a PS5 game at heart, it's going to be awful on the PS4.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
The biggest launch game on Switch was a fucking WiiU game lol. I played 200 hours of BOTW on my WiiU. Then a month later they launched a port of Mario Kart 8 which is by far the biggest game on the system. I'm sorry but lol, what are you talking about?
BotW was a wiiu game delayed to account for the switch, it was also on launch say which i think is ok like MM. The situation with horizon FW is a different case.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Yup Ryan is full of shinola at this point.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I don't think people are complaining about graphics. You're still tied down to a 10 year old tablet cpu and a slow HDD.
Either way, if these weren't coming to ps4 and were made from the ground up, they wouldn't be coming in 2021. Maybe some should realize that.
half the posters here are comparing them with Halo Infinite...

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Well, backporting is a thing, but if Horizon really is a PS5 game at heart, it's going to be awful on the PS4.
This is my take away. If HFW has flying mounts on the PS5 and not on PS4, then how the hell are PS4 players going to traverse the land in a timely matter since they would obviously need to take into account that people could fly when deciding on the map size.

If MM has faster swinging on PS5 are they just going to slow it down on the PS4? Again, wouldnt they take something like that into mind when making the maps/missions?

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
WII U and Switch is nothing like comparing a ps5. Yea the Switch is a bit more powerful, but its not remotely the same thing,

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the fuss. Sure it would be nice if Horizon was only PS5.

but because Sackboy, Horizon, and Spider Man are coming to PS4 we're supposed to feel deceived while all of these titles are slated to hit PS5 and not last gen systems between launch and maybe end of 2021? They literally have 8 PS5 exclusives or are least console exclusives slated.
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Returnal
  • Deathloop
  • Ghostwire
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't ask an enthusiast forum to react outside of the lens of enthusiasts.

It's natural for enthusiasts who stay on the bleeding edge of technology to want said technology to be leveraged to the fullest.

No one is saying "it's bad games reach more players".
It's not a problem of enthusiasm but basic reading abilities.

"The PS5 versions of these games" in the interview becomes "theses games has been built for" in the title.

And no it doesn't dismiss the fact that one was excepting these versions.

Last edited:

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Everyone should understand by now that he HAS TO say this to save whatever face he has left to save.

Like I said in another thread he is master bullshitter.
master bullshiter.... lol man what a world we are living in.

Mind explaining this mastery level of bullshit coming from him? You talking about believing in generations games wise? I can point you to generation exclusive games like Ratchet and Demon's Souls. You taking about feature wise? I can point you to a brand new controller and 3d Audio chip that are only available on PS5 games. Seems like they believe in generations.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

Of course. But my point about the competition not yet eclipsing these games is also true for mechanics, since we've yet to see what's only possible with games built for fast CPUs and SDDs. Like I said, it's PR talk, but in practice it won't matter because these will still be state of the art console games.

Oct 28, 2017
Show don't tell, Jimbo. Your people said earlier that the PS5 feature set would change game design itself. Show dont tell.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A game can be designed with a focus on next gen and impossible to port down to the previous gen without compromising any element of the creator's vision.

A game can also be designed with a focus on next gen and possible to port down to the previous gen without compromising any element of the creator's vision.

Both statements are true. What's the controversy?

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with cross gen games, but I also find the total whiplash in their messaging to be a bit hilarious and my reaction is "I dont believe you".

There will be limitations. That's ok. But still, lol.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I really can't wait for a GDC post-mortem.

I predict this thread will not age well.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No one's going to believe this until the games are out so I'm not sure what the point of saying it is.

At least Microsoft was honest from the start.

Microsoft has yet to show pretty much any game running on the Series X. Ryan's botching of these PR messages has been embarrassing but I'm pretty sure there's a third option where we can see what the games are going to look like AND we don't get bold faced lies.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Good guy Jim. Makes sense, his generations point was about hardware Im sure, Sony always supports previous gens for a couple of years.
Games still look amazing, can not wait.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha sure sure Jim Ryan. Hahahahahaha

FFS stop talking Jim Ryan. Everything he says is starting to sound really disingenuous. What special hardware does PS4 have to be able to run games made for the recent CPU that the PS5 have?

Jim Ryan's PlayStation is slowly starting to sound like a joke. Time will tell if this will be Sony's worst decision to appoint Jim Ryan....
Well all I can say that while he really messed up the communication, basically no one outside of Era or similar places knows who the hell is Jim Ryan or has ever even heard of him.

I definitely don't like crossgen, but strangely these three games being crossgen have had an overwhelmingly positive response outside enthusiast circles. So while Era as whole deservedly doesn't like this, it actually seems like a win for Sony and will just have a positive effect for them as a whole.

There's 50 000 members on Era, while PS4 has sold like what, 120mil units. People in general don't have any grasp on how crossgen can affect game development or don't care at all, so even with Era calling his resignation basically, I'm sure that Jim Ryan will be just fine.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
You guys will one day be ashamed of your words and deeds.

GG team gonna hush ya'll up!

lol..halfway joking, I'm not bothered by this stuff at all...

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will (for example) not be hundreds of independent enemy AI on screen and its corresponding game play opportunities because the Jaguar CPU just could not handle it. No matter how low res the textures are etc. So it will be very much limited in scope regarding viable game play mechanics.

Fuck this shit. Sony's role with first party games is to push boundaries, let 3rd parties supply games for the PS4 for the next couple of years.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What boggles my mind the most is that we are suddenly taking everything said before a launch at face value...?

Agreed. I mean tbf though this is prob like the only console launch I have ever been like "yeah whatever, games will be fun" and that's the full extent of my caring. Like I just have learned that Cross Gen is a thing going forward. Games take 3-5 years to make. They arent going to be satisfied with limited 10m userbases. Just reality.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this would be a big deal if he hadn't given that "we believe in generations" garbage earlier in the year and let Microsoft take all the heat for cross-gen games. Now they are acting like it's no big deal.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If he's telling the truth, then the PS4 versions of these games will suck. That's usually what happens in cases like this.