• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you guys are ridiculous. He didn't lie about generations. Sony has ALWAYS done this. Their platform sells in countries where the next gen is largely unaffordable. PS systems always keep going after the next one comes out. Some of you are so entitled...

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
They said PS4 would remain the driving force behind PS revenue for ~2 years post ps5 release.
Why is everyone taking this to mean, 4 years of compromised PS5 games? lol

Ya'll crazy...
Just look at the names replying and you'll have your answer.
Sony said a while ago they expect ps4 to remain revenue leader for PS division after ps5 release. It seems like this is just him reiterating that.
When this gets cleared up and this narrative is indeed true and most 1st party games will be cross gen in the next 3-4 years, fuck the asshat.

StUnNeR H2K

Dec 1, 2017
Yukon, OK
This is smart. Two different reasons both platforms are doing this. For Xbox it is trying to keep people in the ecosystem and Game Pass, as they can't afford to cut off the smaller fan base they have right now. Playstation is smart to milk the PS4 cow until it is dry, has the chance to be like the PS2 (not as long) but at this point with the install base they have the software sales is basically free money.

The funny part about this is Sony flat out avoiding the cross-gen truth in response to the negativity Xbox received. They played the new next-gen hype train fiddle on everyone. Let's see how many people change their tune on cross-gen holding games back, and personally I'm all for it since it gives me the chance to keep playing the games I love with friends who can't immediately jump into next gen.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
They really did let on as though MM and Horizon were PS5 exclusives, until today... Like, why not just be up front about it back in June instead of waiting until mid September to drop this bomb? This is lying by omission.

Just building hype for their new device. Will these games hold back next gen? 🤔

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Uh what did he lie about? His quote doesn't mean first party will be cross gen for 3 to 4 years. People thought they were going to tell the whole Industry to stop suppoting PS4? That fucker still has a $99 price tag to crush holidays down the line.
Sony's messaging was irrefutably about generations while Microsoft took a heap of shit talking about cross gen here and various outlets (TechRadar article thread here was locked when this hypocrisy was highlighted a little while ago).

Sony bent the truth...

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Sony usually supports the previous gen for a handful of years after the fact. This doesnt mean that theyre going to continue making games for it.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
The PS3 was supported for over a decade, well after the PS4 launch. Same with the PS2. 10 years of PS4 support would wind down in about 2023. Don't get the controversy here.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
To be frank their messaging was "our first party content will play across both gens for 2 years "(in 2019 when they said it) And a whole bunch or threads, tweets, YouTube videos and mainstream gaming press catastrophised it to say that their whole slate was now held back by current gen.

there's a segment of gaming out there that's too stuck in the past and can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to this stuff. both consoles are x86 so the scalability is not as big a problem as gen7-8 and it's not surprising when you consider the install base of 160 million that would be left behind affecting your profitability on boxed title releases. Not to mention increased dev costs, covid economic disruptions and console scarcity. I can for sure see why they are doing what they are doing. I just find it funny that Sony effectively pulled the rug out from under those who are making those silly gatekeeping statements
Yeah. There's nothing wrong with releasing games cross-gen early on especially. I think Sony is doing a good mix with having both cross-gen stuff and exclusive next gen stuff like Demon's Souls and Ratchet.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm amazed so many people on a gaming enthusiast forum are surprised there will be a period of cross gen, like its something completely new and unexpected.

We are getting ps5 exclusives and the cross gen games will run and look better on the ps5.

Oct 30, 2017
Dont bother, let ppl continue their narrative. They need something for the frustration, lol.

They never planned to cut off PS4 support in Nov 2020.

Only thing that ppl can really complain about is the PS5 cross gen games they said were PS5 only.
For real.

The PS2 continued to outsell the 360 WW for quite some time. And PS4 will continue to put up quality numbers for some time, too.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Judge by people's reactions and the context in which Sony made their "generation" comments I disagree they were very clear about support.

But... They've literally been saying all year that they won't abandon PS4 once the PS5 comes out. I feel like I've read them say that in at least three or four interviews this year.

Again, I'm genuinely surprised Horizon is cross-gen, but I never expected them to completely abandon the PS4 once the PS5 comes out. I don't think that was ever the plan.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
And I'll be one of those people still playing PS4 for the next couple of years. Sorry, I've been burned by investing into video game hardware at launch so many times that I'm certain it's not worth doing anymore. It sucks that Sony is contradicting their messaging though.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Sure. They believe in generations. They don't believe in leaving behind money. What's their incentive to move on from PS4 quickly? There is none. "Believing in generations" is marketing for the hardcore gamer, and it's smart. Early adopters are people who are always looking ahead - who will champion dropping support for the old console and the old peripherals, even though the vast majority of people wouldn't want that. Zhuge confirmed... get this... a Bloomberg story about the BOM. A Bloomberg story (that has been defended all up and down this site) that made a comment about how Sony is planning and preparing for a slow transition to PS5, expecting that many people will be choosing to stay on PS4. That was before the coronavirus hit. It's even more true now.

Now, if you're suggesting that the only way that people will jump on PS5 is if they cut another $100, which supposedly then enables them to buy $100 in Vbucks - Vbucks that they could have easily bought on their PS4, no less - then I might respectfully suggest that you're utterly missing the math. Also worth noting that BOM is just a portion of the overall cost, there's little doubt that Sony is going to be taking a loss even at $450 for the disk version, and likely even for the DE.
I don't feel good. But I do feel vindicated. I was told I was wrong and that Sony was delivering the true next gen vision. Sony just told ya'll exactly what you wanted to hear. Very effective marketing for a very specific audience. And now that they're about to start preorders and need to sell consoles to a much broader array of customers, the marketing is changing to match.

(And for the record, I think this is absolutely a good thing. Cross gen games don't hold back the whole industry. This is a good pro-consumer move, and I'm glad for it. It's absolutely terrible communication - but it's good marketing. So.... You know where Sony's priorities lie.)

Oct 25, 2017
Supporting the PS4 / it being important for 3-4 years doesn't mean their AAA games are going to be cross gen for that amount of time.

It's not the same thing as what Xbox is doing they have two published launched game that's are PS5 only.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody was expecting that, but yes, a lot of people were expecting all the big exclusives to next-gen only and it's increasingly sounding like that wont be happening for quite a while for a lot of games.
People are just worried after Jim straight up lied about Miles Morales and Horizon 2.
I mean we've been told a limited amount so far so I dunno if we can assume it applies to the rest. It was real shit of him to lie about it for sure though. I guess personally I'm waiting to see what the case is with ratchet before assuming its going to be across the board.

In all honesty though, I'm not surprised Miles Morales is cross gen, but Horizon did catch me off guard. Given how long ago the first was now though it kind of makes some sense. I'd assume development started on this quite a while ago, so it may have even targeted ps4 for all we know at one point. This is just a wild shot in the dark ofc.

As the poster above mentioned, I suppose my thinking is I'm not shocked theyre planning to support ps4 but also dont really know what level of support they intend by a couple games being cross gen. The lying about it was lame.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
They'll have 3rd party games and such like the last gen, doesn't mean they won't have PS5 exclusives.

Yea do people really think they'll continue to make PS4 first party games for 3-4 years? It'll be like it always is every generation. 3rd party games will continue to do PS4/5 games until the PS5 userbase is large enough to support standalone titles. God of War will probably be the first true PS5 exclusive and everything beyond that will be too

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Dislike the way that this is worded, and it definitely seems like they plan on supporting PS4 with games for at least a couple of years. I know that shouldn't really be a huge issue, but it's also slightly disapointing after his whole "we believe in generations" talk and them saying to not expect any more first party games on PS4.

I mean, I doubt anybody will notice an instance of games being "held back" by PS4, and it's definitely good for the consumer, but I was pretty excited that Sony and Xbox were doing separate things for their games and distribution

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It is a ps5 only game acordly to zhuge

Horizon 2 and Spiderman Miles Morales were PS5 only until Sony finally decided to pull the band aid off. There's no reason to believe that isn't the case with everything Sony has coming for the next year. 110 million PS4 units vs ? PS5 units? I can't see them making the full switch with their biggest games until they're pushing 20-30 million PS5 units sold.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This shit isn't controversial lol, Sony supports their platforms well after the release of the next one. The shit about "we believe in generations" then slapping us with crossgen games is.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
So are we cancelling the PS5 and Sony because they're handling the transition between systems like they have for every other generation of the past?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a primarily PC user, I think this is a good thing. I do get a kick out of all the people that are holding on to "generation" being a thing are now butthurt.

Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't they tell us Miles Morales was also going to be on PS4 when they announced it?

It's a weird lie of omission. Especially when everyone was confused about what the game was at first.

I don't mind the games being cross gen. Supporting their existing fans is great. One of my best friends wanted to play MM so badly but couldn't justify buying a PS5. Now he doesn't have to as he'll be able to play it on his PS4.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
some of y'all is behaving like when i am 8 year olds in the 90s during the 16bit wars....seriously......

i might get reported but some of the replies here are embarrassing.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
This doesn't contradict anything Sony/Jim Ryan have said.

"We have always said that we believe in generations," Ryan told GamesIndustry.biz. "We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features"

He continued: "We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to have the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5

This is how Sony has always supported generations. You continue supporting your massive fanbase, while creating next gen games that can't be made for last gen anymore.

This isn't Sony being inconsistent. This is literally the most consistent thing they've said in the past 20 years.

Jan 20, 2019
Horizon 2 and Spiderman Miles Morales were PS5 only until Sony finally decided to pull the band aid off. There's no reason to believe that isn't the case with everything Sony has coming for the next year. 110 million PS4 units vs ? PS5 units? I can't see them making the full switch with their biggest games until they're pushing 20-30 million PS5 units sold.

I mean, we know that Demons Souls is not coming to ps4, we also know that Ratchet is not coming.