• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Thanks to Bundy on PS OT:

On the Similarities Between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 Logos

Jim Ryan:
"It is important to give off a sense of consistency for products within the PlayStation brand. It is a must for anyone who sees [the logo] to immediately and positively think, 'That's PlayStation.'
"There are over 100 million PlayStation 4 owners—there is a community there. We have an obligation to keep them happy, interested, and absorbed [in PlayStation]."

On the Migration from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5

Jim Ryan:
"During the migration from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, there will still be a great deal of PlayStation 4 users. That is very important and we have an obligation to those users. In the same way, we need to work out new appeals for PlayStation 5. This year will be a tough, but special year for us compared to previous console releases."

On the Unique Appeals of PlayStation 5

Jim Ryan:
"Each time a new console is released, the processor and graphics improve. Those are enticing of course, but we need to have special appeals as well. We have already confirmed the use of an solid-state drive. Having load times that are next to nothing is a major change.

"3D audio and the haptic feedback support of the controller are also things that, when you try them, you will be surprised at how big a change they are. Even just playing the racing game Gran Turismo Sport with a PlayStation 5 controller is a completely different experience. While it runs well with the previous controller, there is no going back after you experience the detailed road surface via haptic control and play using the adaptive triggers.

"But you know. There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The 'bigger differences' have yet to be announced."

www.gematsu.com

PS5 – unique, unannounced features teased by Sony Interactive Entertainment president

Business Insider Japan has published a new interview with Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan, who touches briefly upon the newly revealed PlayStation 5 logo; teases unique, u…

Last edited:

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean go ahead and just announce those tho for sure, really absolutely no reason to be doing this drip feed of info.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
giphy.gif

Aug 26, 2019
Posted this in the next-gen thread but I'll paste my ridiculous prediction here:

The PS5 has a semi-modular design that allows certain components such as the GPU to be "upgraded" over the course of the generation. GPU upgrades are sold by Sony and are easy to swap into the system. PS5 Pro will release with that year's new PS-GPU, but the PS-GPU upgrade will also be sold separately for existing PS5 owners.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Damn the logo has already sent the gaming world into madness, imagine they announce something actually completely new and unexpected? The masses can't take this

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see what it is. But first reveal the box color and style. That's what we want next. If it isn't that like that black Ghost of Tsushima picture, it better be 5x better somehow.

Dude this is prime real estate, have you seen what adding a single number does to people? Knowing that a huge part of PS5 has yet to be revealed should create a massive thread. /s

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim Ryan: "Each time a new console is released, the processor and graphics improve. Those are enticing of course, but we need to have special appeals as well.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Ive always bought my playstation consoles within 12-18 months of launch, never at launch. I think I'll buy at launch this time

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably a fast SSD I think that's going to be the biggest thing for next gen consoles.

It's easy to sell a PS5 if PS5 games have minimal to no loading time compared to a PS4.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Posted this in the next-gen thread but I'll paste my ridiculous prediction here:

The PS5 has a semi-modular design that allows certain components such as the GPU to be "upgraded" over the course of the generation. GPU upgrades are sold by Sony and are easy to swap into the system. PS5 Pro will release with that year's new PS-GPU, but the PS-GPU upgrade will also be sold separately for existing PS5 owners.
At that point why not just buy a PC. It'll perform better and offer more options.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The part where they talk about GT Sport getting DS5 enhancements was interesting, maybe they talked about that kind of stuff before but first time I've seen it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Let me share a gameplay clip and when my friend watches it, he/she can then choose to play that section of the game in that exact save state.

Oct 25, 2017
Full BC (PS1-PS4 and handheld)
Enhanced BC

With Sony dropping handhelds, they might as well integrate that content into their consoles.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a fast SSD I think that's going to be the biggest thing for next gen consoles.

It's easy to sell a PS5 if PS5 games have minimal to no loading time compared to a PS4.
Fuck, what would be awesome is if is's fully backwards compatible with PS4 games and cuts the load times in those games too.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I like bigger differences and more unique elements.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
The part where they talk about GT Sport getting DS5 enhancements was interesting, maybe they talked about that kind of stuff before but first time I've seen it.
There was a demo built To run on PS5 and it supported the new controller, was in Wired I think.

Color me sceptic about the controller stuff, if it's anything like rumble in the triggers or HD rumble, most people won't care as it usually doesn't add much and is more of a gimmick than anything else.

about the "biggest change that still hasn't been revealed yet", I wonder what it could be, but at the same time I can't help but feel like he is just probably hyping up how product and not much else.

watch it be a 2 tiered SKU like MS is doing lol

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What more can it be???
At this point, he must be hinting at something like full software backwards compatibility? It has to be market differentiators MS doesn't have. As far as we know, MS has backwards compatibility only for games they have reworked since their BC program started. Imagine Sony stepping up with PS1, 2, 3 and 4 BC? Thats what I want dammit :)

What else could it be?? I wonder if it could be related to their Virtual Assistant patent? But thats not really a gaming differentiator.

Jim Ryan, you got me hyped sir! And you certainly have my attention by saying this

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
can't wait for the full reveal.

they're doing a good job of building anticipation