• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
For a company that "puts gamers first," they have a lot of nerve charging for their system and games.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The militant lack of backwards compatibility is definitely not a "relentless focus on putting the gamer first".

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Jimbo , people hate you but you did prove them wrong by putting up high quality games in just 6 months of a console generation , so yeah you do you :p

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Uh, you mean besides the massive longtime staff loss, right? Even expanded Asobi Team is nowhere near Japan Studio's size (~400), there was apparently a significant loss of talent.
Are we talking about JS proper or all of the subteams that were formed? A number of them left of their own volition beforehand and the ones that formed Bokeh were the only ones I was aware of, other than regular staffers (some of which were likely poached as a result) leaving.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Hmmm. I feel like that's going to be disagreed with... They're nice to their devs after closing their japanese studios and aren't overly strict with them after rejecting Days Gone 2...
Indeed. And they clearly put gamers first with $70 titles, being really obstinate about cross play, and refusing to allow Bethesda players proper mod support on their platform.

Their approach towards consumers is exactly why PS5 is the first and only Sony console I haven't bought day one, and so far have zero interest in purchasing. Leaning towards a Series X thanks to Game Pass.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I'd say they succeeded at what they aimed based on the amount of titles they have a year into the PS5. It seems like SIE has got their pipeline down and have the machine and infrastructure to consistently put out quality games

Since the later years of the PS3, they've made it their singular mission to focus on the games and they've done an incredible job with that. I know some people don't like them but I love the AAA Sony games and clearly a lot of others do based on how much they sell. Keep em coming Jim

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Putting gamers 1st means giving the majority what they want most and that's quality games, something he's not wrong about, they are doing that.

PS5's 1st 6 months are also way better than PS4's so yeah we are getting good shit early unlike with PS4 so again he's also not wrong.

Don't know what some people's issues are with what he says here.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
If they release more blockbuster IP's, services, and new experiences than any gen prior. I'd say he was on point. They are making more money than ever, if this is reflected in their output, i'm happy. Anyways i'm out, these threads always head in the same direction.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Can I see a source saying it isn't?
You could have just said no lol.

But, I was interested so I looked at average game designer salary in 2019, 2020 and 2021, it was a quick google, but you can correct me if I am wrong.

It looks like game dev wages are still stagnant, though if the 2020 source is correct, average salary went down in 2021? would investigate more to be sure though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Are we talking about JS proper or all of the subteams that were formed? A number of them left of their own volition beforehand and the ones that formed Bokeh were the only ones I was aware of, other than regular staffers (some of which were likely poached as a result) leaving.
They were leaving progressively in the final year because contracts weren't being renewed, Takashi Mochizuki wrote about it and other sidelining at SIEJA regularly last year. It wasn't just Team Siren/Gravity (which is where Bokeh came from), it was pretty much every lead outside Asobi Team, even the EDD (External Development Division) and producers/directors responsible for Soulsborne, Everybody Golf, etc. This wasn't a change in name only, Japan Studio was SIE's oldest and most prolific division. Now they're just the Astrobot team, even external dev has been moved to XDEV at SIEE.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Putting gamers 1st means giving the majority what they want most and that's quality games, something he's not wrong about, they are doing that.

PS5's 1st 6 months are also way better than PS4's so yeah we are getting good shit early unlike with PS4 so again he's also not wrong.

Don't know what some people's issues are with what he says here.
Jim wont wear Gamer t-shirts and pretend he's your buddy that you could totally have drinks with.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
He's not solely catering to the crowd that gets red in the face over the lack of 60fps Bloodborne, PS3 emulation and $70 games. Not that those are good things, but the vast majority of people don't give a shit about any of that. Which makes people even more salty.
Those sound more like personal gripes if anything. I'd fricking love a Sony gamepass and 60fps bloodborne but when it comes to discussing the content of this interview its clear what he means when he says gamer focussed and what they've improved on lol

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
They had an amazing final year of the PS4 that transitioned really nicely into the first year of the PS5. Can't say anything bad about it, a nice mix of anticipated sequels and welcome surprises.
Yeah, really impressive they pulled off both while having such an incredibly loaded PS4 year last year, especially if Horizon Forbidden West really makes it as planned.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Can't deny they've put out some quality so recently on PS4 and PS5 in the past year but I really find that quote about Tsushima interesting. I wonder if they were expecting another pitch for an Infamous game. Really glad we got Tsushima though, A full PS5 sequel to that will melt brains.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Those sound more like personal gripes if anything. I'd fricking love a Sony gamepass and 60fps bloodborne but when it comes to discussing the content of this interview its clear what he means when he says gamer focussed and what they've improved on lol
I agree, but people here see Sony and gamer focused together in an interview and they bring out all their personal grievances to prove it wrong.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This quote and increasing price on first party games to 70$/80€ is a direct contradiction.
It's not, saying "customer first" has nothing to do with prices actually. Playstation is going for the "premium" appeal with their AAA exclusives. Of course, customer first does not go hand in hand with other things like the refund policy Sony has at the moment.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's not, saying "customer first" has nothing to do with prices actually. Playstation is going for the "premium" appeal with their AAA exclusives. Of course, customer first does not go hand in hand with other things like the refund policy Sony has at the moment.
Yes it does? The price of games is the price of entry you have to go past to actually play the game, now you have to pay more to be able to do that.

If they were "customer first", games would stay at 60 or even *lower* in price and they would put every first party game day one onto PSNow. That would make the quote more truthful.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
The lesson they learned with BC from the PS3 is that nobody cares about BC.
This statement is false since I care about it, so at least one person cares.

/s

I know the percentage of use was really low in the PS3, but I wonder if that has changed with the recent retro boom and Xbox going for BC with improvements when playing those BC games.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
kudos to the OP for not clipping a sentence out of that article and quoting it in the thread title. would've started this thread off on a bad footing.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Took no time at all for this thread to turn into a shit show lol

The lessons Sony learned from the PS3 era to now is pretty obvious. Their studios are releasing much higher quality games, and there seems to always be a steady stream of them coming.

3rd party devs also seem to really love working with Sony be it on exclusive content or otherwise.

PS5 library is gonna be one of the best ever by the end of the gen if what we've seen so far is anything to go by.

SuperKlonoa'sArk3D

alt account
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
"... a relentless focus on putting gamers first"

tenor.gif
BnjAJsF.png

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the constant shit talking towards the PS3m we got a lot of great exclusives that didn't take off because of Sony. Not the games.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yes it does? The price of games is the price of entry you have to go past to actually play the game, now you have to pay more to be able to do that.
No, it doesn't. You can have a product line that goes for "value", and a product line that goes for a "premium" experience, one can cost $300US, the other can cost $1000US, and both can be be a "customer first" experience. Yes, the price of entry is higher for the premium one. Doesn't make it less customer friendly. You can apply this concept with phones, cars, whatever. Is an iPhone against customers because it's pricier?

I'm not defending the price increase in games, if that's your issue with my answer.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
No, it doesn't. You can have a product line that goes for "value", and a product line that goes for a "premium" experience, one can cost $300US, the other can cost $1000US, and both can be be a "customer first" experience. Yes, the price of entry is higher for the premium one. Doesn't make it less customer friendly. You can apply this concept with phones, cars, whatever. Is an iPhone against customers because it's pricier?

I'm not defending the price increase in games, if that's your issue with my answer.
You seem to suggest that PS5 games are more "premium" compared to PS4 games or even games on other consoles when they are not. You pay more for the exact same games you would have gotten without the price increase.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
Hmmm. I feel like that's going to be disagreed with... They're nice to their devs after closing their japanese studios and aren't overly strict with them after rejecting Days Gone 2...

There's definitely a large middle ground between "iron-fisted strictness" and "complete lack of oversight whatsoever."

Like what's the standard here? Unless a company greenlights everything the studio suggests, they're draconian?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You seem to suggest that PS5 games are more "premium" compared to PS4 games or even games on other consoles when they are not. You pay more for the exact same games you would have gotten without the price increase.

I'm not saying the price increase is justified, but saying it's the exact same game isn't true even if its a cross gen game. Extra work was put into it and game development is expensive, especially in major cities where many of Sony first party studios are located.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's not what I think, but it's the mindset Sony's trying to set in the market, for sure... that their exclusives are the "premium" experience, so the price increase is justified. Maybe they are, maybe they're not, I was not judging on that matter

Last edited:

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying the price increase is justified, but saying it's the exact same game isn't true even if its a cross gen game. Extra work was put into it and game development is expensive, especially in major cities where many of Sony first party studios are located.
This is all true, but it's also true for their competition which have not increased prices.

Seriously, as a consumer you should be against price increases, not for them. Increasing prices (it's the equivalent of 100$ in some EU countries) and saying you're basically "pro consumer" is just contradictory as hell.

Last edited:

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
User Warned: Platform warring
Game Pass is not a generations lesson that they've learned… it's a current issue that could affect their sales… and, tbh, they're failing miserably.

Instead of finding a way to offer something similar, they've increased their pricing.

R&C is an awesome game, but it's not worth $70 (already finished it).

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think they're doing a great job with PS5. Can't wait to see what comes out later on