• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
That's awesome. I'm still sad that ReCore didn't take off. Not only is it a great game, it's got a good female lead.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
g8VxEbH.png

I think Aloy was probably a big win for them, and I hope the strong representation continues on a number of fronts.

She must not be forgotten.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Put a black or asian or latina woman front and center in a major tentpole game and then we'll talk. The games industry (not just Sony) often thinks diversity = "white women" (kudos for Lost Legacy, though)

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's good to hear. Hopefully we can get more people of color in main roles as well (and not just in spinoff titles like Lost Legacy and SM: Miles Morales).

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Given that two of Sony's most recent games have featured 1) A female leading cast with TLOU2 and 2) A game with a Japanese main character (Ghost Of Tsushima), it's a pretty good bit of diversity so far, particularly with female leads but can always do with improving.

I think the major sore spots in terms of representation in Sony's games are

- Lack of ethnic minorities (How many black main characters or Latin America can you say are in Sony's games?)
- LGBTQ+ Representation - TLOU2 did decently on this front, but having a Trans or Non Binary leading cast would be a massive breakthrough.

This was as far as I noticed personally, so I might be missing out certain groups so if that's the case I'll correct it as soon as possible.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In all fairness, as someone who is half Polish, wages in Poland are simply quite poor. Obviously this seems shocking, but what about all the big companies that outsource work to China and whathave you? They are paid far less than the people in Poland.

Additionally, the cost of living is also far cheaper in Poland than in other countries. For instance the average rent for a city centre apartment today is 2,100 zl (this would be quite a bit lower in 2014). If you're renting in the city centre you'd be expected to have some kind of flat share, be living with a partner, or quite wealthy yourself.

With all of that said, the wage is quite poor. There's no good reason that CDPR should be paying their staff minimum wage, especially when they're clearly benefiting from the sales of their game across an international market. One would expect that CDPR should be able to give all of its employees a very healthy wage.

Oct 27, 2017
In all fairness, as someone who is half Polish, wages in Poland are simply quite poor. Obviously this seems shocking, but what about all the big companies that outsource work to China and whathave you? They are paid far less than the people in Poland.

Additionally, the cost of living is also far cheaper in Poland than in other countries. For instance the average rent for a city centre apartment today is 2,100 zl (this would be quite a bit lower in 2014). If you're renting in the city centre you'd be expected to have some kind of flat share, be living with a partner, or quite wealthy yourself.

With all of that said, the wage is quite poor. There's no good reason that CDPR should be paying their staff minimum wage, especially when they're clearly benefiting from the sales of their game across an international market. One would expect that CDPR should be able to give all of its employees a very healthy wage.
Wrong thread.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
Will I get a hero as big as Nate who just happens to be a gay man before I pop my clogs? Hope is still there..
Spoiler, we are already there; TLOU2 has a main gay character, female even. It is not used for shock value either, it's just like it is in real life, a person having their own identity.

What we really need, is a character who is non-binary, or half-animal. Or a combination. Female protagonists are almost as old as modern videogames. Lara croft. Samus. And many more. Sony should get even more with the times.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "30 year old white dude" meme from last generation is pretty much dead at this point. The last game I played that was not a player created MC with a white dude was RE7.(though I did play Spider-man before this TBF)

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The gaming landscape is not diverse enough, it can do better.

So I'm glad to see that this is actively being acted upon.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
That's really awesome. Just need more people of color as well.

Feels like Miles Morales is a step in the right direction. They are literally starting a generation where their biggest game has a black male as a lead.
Also, choosing Travis Scott to promote the console, even if it's not in a videogame, shows Playstation's mindset right now. So fingers crossed.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

No table body or table head? Wouldn't pass review friend

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
The "30 year old white dude" meme from last generation is pretty much dead at this point. The last game I played that was not a player created MC with a white dude was RE7.(though I did play Spider-man before this TBF)
Talk about "MC" what would be amazing is that for Halo Infinite, the pilot guy doing maintenance work on the Master Chief should be like; "Your voice enhancer got corrupted, would you like me te reboot it?" And the Master Chief would say "no, revert it back to normal". And from here on out, Master Chief would have a female voice or a Hispanic or African American, or Chinese accent. That would be a really bold move for the series. I think MS is ready to make that move. MC should be for everyone

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Spoiler, we are already there; TLOU2 has a main gay character, female even. It is not used for shock value either, it's just like it is in real life, a person having their own identity.

What we really need, is a character who is non-binary, or half-animal. Or a combination. Female protagonists are almost as old as modern videogames. Lara croft. Samus. And many more. Sony should get even more with the times.

Gay man.