• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Sony has supported their systems for a long time in the past. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ragnarok end up being cross-gen, and like others said, just have extra fancy shit/4k60 on PS5.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Business people don't answer random questions in interviews, period. They stick to a plan. Let's all stop acting like interviews are anything more than an avenue for promotion and maybe we'll process this stuff a little more sensibly.

really hard concept to grasp here. imagine Jim Ryan scooping details about a game we only have a logo at interviews.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
there is absolutely no reason to give this answer if it was PS5 exclusive, people should just accept it.
it sucks but it's not the end of the world.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's cross gen. You don't just ignore 100 million potential buyers. R&C is their "see what SSDs can do" game other than that I don't expect next gen only games until 2022.
It'd be a nice day when this argument finally dies.

Outside of maybe FIFA or Just Dance type games, has a cross-gen game ever sell more on the old gen than the new gen?
I remember MGSV selling something ridiculous like 70% on PS4 and only around 5% total on PS3.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I can see this being another situation like when people ran with the idea the PS5 only had 100 BC games for months. Basically people assuming the worst because Sony don't talk about it.

Time will tell I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Those games designed around SSDs aren't coming this generation are they :P
Like we haven't seen games taking advantage of the SSD right now or Insomniac hasn't announced Ratchet and Clank as PS5 exclusive. You really think Sony invested this much time and money into a powerful SSD because multiple developers said they wanted one, and then Sony turns around and tells their studios to not utilize it to its fullest?

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly God of War was a great looking game last gen. I wouldn't mind some minor ray tracing and 60fps. But for the love of god (lol) please no more walking around that stupid fucking circle to load in an area. Use that super fast ssd please.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So then how is it fair to people who have a reduced income or are out of work entirely due to the GLOBAL PANDEMIC and use games as a form of entertainment and say "Oh, so you want to play new games? That'll be $400 at least. $500 if you want the disc."

I get that we are enthusiast gamers, we want cutting edge everything. But we are in the strict minority. And to tell people they can't play the new Spider-Man, Horizon, or God of War just because they aren't lucky enough to be able to afford the new console at this point in history just doesn't seem fair to me. Generally ERA seems pretty progressive, anti-capitalism, and wanting equality for all - why should this not be the same with who gets to play new video games?

On one hand I agree but on the other hand, it's just video games. I say that as someone who will not own a PS5 when God of War 2 releases and who will likely be out of a job due to the pandemic at that point as well. When you reach a point where the pandemic is killing your budget you cut games out of the equation, be it PS4 or PS5 games, and make sure you have food on your table and a steady income.

Video games are the first thing to go when things get tough economically for me.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Don't care either way as long as the game is as good as the first.
Yeah I have no idea what people are asking for specifically. Preventing a game from being on PS4 won't make it better, it will only be less work. Some game cannot be made on PS4, and those have to be exclusive. It's not that difficult to understand.

Not all exclusives require the SSD to the point of being impossible to port to PS4. The exact same thing was happening every other playstation generations, some can be cross-gen, other cannot. Nothing changed.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
If it's only on PS5, then why not just come right out with it?

Literally no reason not to.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'd be surprised if it wasn't on PS4.

People need to really just get over the whole aversion to crossgen games, it's misplaced, only sets you up for looking a bit like a buffoon.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Probably a Miles Morales-style, "smaller" game then, which would explain the relatively short dev cycle (if it's really a 2021 release)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
It's totally going to be cross-gen - it just makes sense financially.

I absolutely see that coming to PS4 at some point - could be wrong, but it seems like an easy win from a sales perspective.

Make Demon's souls on PS4 is a difficult task, it would be a port like The Witcher 3 wasone on Switch. The dynamic tesselation technology is too much for PS4 and same for the full GI lighting. They need to redo all the assets and multiple rendering system.

I think R&C Rift Apart and Demon's souls will be PS5 only because Bloodborne and Ratchet and Clank PS4 does not sold 10+ millions on PS4.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
As a PS5 owner, I'd be totally happy if it was coming to PS4 too. Make the best game you can for PS4 hardware then have it 60fps locked/beautiful/fast loading on PS5.

The only interesting part of this will be the song and dance around it and then them silently announcing it in a blogpost while their not-E3 show is happening. Just come out and say it if it's crossgen, barely anyone will care.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
it's going to be cross-gen isn't it. Well as long as they keep the quality intact, I don't really mind.

Miles Morales is great on both platforms.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
This is gonna be one of those things where a delay for the game would be overall a good thing and they make it a PS5 title only lol.

Or perhaps this will be more akin to an "beefy" 1.5 title, than a fully fledged sequel to keep in line with cross gen limitations.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Do they just remove the squeeze through tight spaces to hide loading thing for the PS5 version?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Both Ratchet & Clank and Returnal are build around it and they're coming out soon.
No shade to those games in particular, just disappointed the big ones I'm most interested in are going to miss out until their next iterations. Its just frustrating that to see many big efforts get the green light only if the millions of install base are there to make the powers at be happy.

I'm sure they will look and run great regardless just the Cerny SSD talk had so much potential and I need to wait because money is on the table.
Like we haven't seen games taking advantage of the SSD right now or Insomniac hasn't announced Ratchet and Clank as PS5 exclusive. You really think Sony invested this much time and money into a powerful SSD because multiple developers said they wanted one, and then Sony turns around and tells their studios to not utilize it to its fullest?
I mean it is too early to tell of course but I don't see how you can utilize the SSD to its fullest and also release on a platform that doesn't have one.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As a PS5 owner, I'd be totally happy if it was coming to PS4 too. Make the best game you can for PS4 hardware then have it 60fps locked/beautiful/fast loading on PS5.

The only interesting part of this will be the song and dance around it and then them silently announcing it in a blogpost while their not-E3 show is happening. Just come out and say it if it's crossgen, barely anyone will care.
Yea I think that's the issue people have. If they just clearly announced what these games were coming out on, people wouldn't get flustered. They know if it's crossgen or not, like Horizon.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Because they haven't reached that part of the PR schedule yet? All year people have been saying "if X is true, why wouldn't Sony say
X is true?!" and some of the time, even though Sony said nothing, X turned out to be true.

Silence is non-diagnostic.
I don't think this applies to such a high profile exclusive. It's in development and announced as a 2021 game. Or should we also entertain that it could be PS4 only with backwards compatibility patch on PS5 at launch and a proper upgrade later?

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
by not saying anything he said more than he wanted to. Cross gen confirmed. Mark my words.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I really wouldn't expect their absolute largest titles to be PS5 only until they surpass 30 million PS5 sold or so. Smaller things like Ratchet and Clank and Demons Souls are great for showing what is capable on the PS5 but they're clearly not the games Sony is expecting to sell a significant amount of, that falls to games like Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West and in all likelihood God of War Ragnarok which is why we see them as PS4 titles as well.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Well crossgen seems like a pretty safe bet to me. I'm gonna go ahead and say that Demons Soul will also be crossgen.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the life of me I can't understand why people take a 'no comment' stance as confirmation of anything. Anyway, I don't believe for a second this title will be also on the PS4.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
It's obvious to me that it's crossgen, the turnaround is way too quick. 3 years using a lot of the same assets from the first game sounds about right. I'm ok with this too, I'm sure it's still gonna be a great experience.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Considering how many PS4s they sold, at the very least they would/should consider it. I'm just gonna assume it's cross-gen with the hope that they put the funds into really optimizing the PS5 version.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Business people don't answer random questions in interviews, period. They stick to a plan. Let's all stop acting like interviews are anything more than an avenue for promotion and maybe we'll process this stuff a little more sensibly.

What wasn't sensible about my post? Implying that's its shitty for him not to be honest with people? Just the other day the head of xbox answered a random question about halo and told us they made craig shirts so I don't really get your business people don't answer random questions. Jim Ryan doesn't answer random questions I'll give you that.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't cross-gen. Sony did say they'd continue to support the PS4 for years and the two biggest exclusives of 2021 being on the PS4 as well as the PS5 makes sense in that respect.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is not going to be some side story. Its going to have be 3.5 years since the last one when it releases. This is a full sequel. Also won't be shocked if it's the last major PS4 game either.

Oct 25, 2017
What wasn't sensible about my post? Implying that's its shitty for him not to be honest with people? Just the other day the head of xbox answered a random question about halo and told us they made craig shirts so I don't really get your business people don't answer random questions. Jim Ryan doesn't answer random questions I'll give you that.
If Phil Spencer commented on something, it's because it's on a list of things he's ready to comment about. He's a lot better at coming across friendly and natural in interviews, I'll give him that. He's still following a plan. And there are questions to which he would respond "no comment" or say something longer but equally free of content.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Nowhere did I say that. But, say, stuff like those "fast travel" portals would somehow be still needed if the game is crossgen, they won't be able to do stuff like Ratchet and Clank is doing, that's all I'm saying.
No no, I was genuinely asking. I don't have a PS5 nor have I played Miles Morales on PS4, so I wanted to know if this particular game could be representative of this topic.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Jim Ryan: "i've got nothing to say about that"

Era: "Oh my, cross gen and not full sequel!!1!!!!1"

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't get the massive deal with it being on PS4? same with Horizon. Its going to be an early PS5 game, we are not going to see the system really being pushed for another few years.