• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It's not about how pretty the game looks, it's about building a game that's free from the limitations of the older system in terms of its core design.

Miles Morales is great, but it's really just a base PS4 game with support for 4K, ray-tracing, 60 FPS, and reduced loading times on the PS5.

People want to see those AAA games built from the ground up for the PS5. Games that are built to take advantage of the new hardware such that they wouldn't even be possible on the previous generation.

So then how is it fair to people who have a reduced income or are out of work entirely due to the GLOBAL PANDEMIC and use games as a form of entertainment and say "Oh, so you want to play new games? That'll be $400 at least. $500 if you want the disc."

I get that we are enthusiast gamers, we want cutting edge everything. But we are in the strict minority. And to tell people they can't play the new Spider-Man, Horizon, or God of War just because they aren't lucky enough to be able to afford the new console at this point in history just doesn't seem fair to me. Generally ERA seems pretty progressive, anti-capitalism, and wanting equality for all - why should this not be the same with who gets to play new video games?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Those games designed around SSDs aren't coming this generation are they :P

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Fuck them with that. So much for "We believe in generations" I'm tired of PR bullshit

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah i guess you're right, but considering how much sony have pushed the "we beleive in generations" angle, i'm surprised to see they haven't truly given the masses a reason to buy their new generation by the games they're bringing out.

Yeah, that was an interesting bit of marketing lol

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The best reviewed next gen game is a faithful adaption of Demon's Souls, a 10 year old game.

Spiderman seems to be universally beloved and is a port of PS4 game.

I know there's still some warriors who want to "believe in generations," but in fact generations have always been a hazy distinction. Outside of truly bizarre hardware like the Wii, the platform is way less important than when the game comes out. Next gen experience has always been marketing fluff.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind it. It means you'll get a gorgeous, fast loading 60 fps version for PS5 (with additional bells and whistles like DualSense support and 3D audio). I'm okay with that. And from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense to support a platform with 100+ million sales.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Platform warring
Yeah i guess you're right, but considering how much sony have pushed the "we beleive in generations" angle, i'm surprised to see they haven't truly given the masses a reason to buy their new generation by the games they're bringing out.
Yeah this was a lie, like when Phil claimed current gen wouldn't hold back next gen... then we saw the Failo Infinite footage, then a huge delay followed after the outcry and memes.

EDIT: Wow, didn't realise this would result in a warning. I said it in jest, I own both consoles. I'll be more careful in the future

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird seeing Ryan's refusal to make any comment about a game they only teased being taken as a confirmation of anything.

But hey, gotta clickbait.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Classic PR answer, you can't get any conclusion from this. But people should relax, even if it is cross-gen the important thing is that soon we will have a sequel to one of the best and most successful games of the previous generation. Sony will definitely inject a lot of money and talent into this game, the production levels will be up there regardless of the platforms.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So then how is it fair to people who have a reduced income or are out of work entirely due to the GLOBAL PANDEMIC and use games as a form of entertainment and say "Oh, so you want to play new games? That'll be $400 at least. $500 if you want the disc."

I get that we are enthusiast gamers, we want cutting edge everything. But we are in the strict minority. And to tell people they can't play the new Spider-Man, Horizon, or God of War just because they aren't lucky enough to be able to afford the new console at this point in history just doesn't seem fair to me. Generally ERA seems pretty progressive, anti-capitalism, and wanting equality for all - why should this not be the same with who gets to play new video games?

Since when is consumerism supposed to be fair?

And we're not even talking about launch games here, we're talking about games that are coming about 1+ year after the launch of the new hardware. By that point, it's time to move on.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's cross gen. You don't just ignore 100 million potential buyers. R&C is their "see what SSDs can do" game other than that I don't expect next gen only games until 2022.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
If it's releasing next year i hope it's cross gen so i can actually play it and not have to wait a year or something until i get a ps5

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why are there so many assumptions that it won't be a full length game? Because of the quick turnaround time?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced it is. Seems too quick of a turnaround for me but I'd obviously be happy if it is confirmed as a full sequel.

Nah. They made the first game real quick, considering they still hadn't really figured it out when it made its E3 debut in 2016. Like Horizon, they now have a foundation to build upon and both GG and SSM have staffed up. Over three years is more than enough, though the pandemic probably slowed things down.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Great, can't wait to be using the PS5's SSD to load those squeezing-through-gaps/walking-and-talking scenes designed to mask PS4 loads for like the next two years.

I *really* hope this isn't true and it will definitely put a damper on my hype if it is.

Insane to see Sony hype the PS5's technology, innovation and architecture, if they then have their lead studios totally ignore it to make sure everything can run on the PS4.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
What kind of argument is that and it has nothing to do with being progressive or anti-capitalism. Equality for all ? wtf we're talking about new technology here.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any good reason why they won't announce it as a PS5 exclusive if it is?
Because they haven't reached that part of the PR schedule yet? All year people have been saying "if X is true, why wouldn't Sony say
X is true?!" and some of the time, even though Sony said nothing, X turned out to be true.

Silence is non-diagnostic.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It'd be interesting to see how an hypothetical sequel would push the PS4 to its max. The original God of War already felt like they were on the line in terms of loadng - hell, there's some cutscenes that straight up pause for a brief second so the game can load.

After seeing how the PS4 version of Miles and Sackboy turned out, I'd trust them with a crossgen GOW (I guess the last test is Horizon, but Guerrilla are wizards so not worried about that). That said, I can only see this happening if the 2021 date is true.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If they can't confirm it, it's likely cross-gen. It's like asking someone if they can confirm whether something is fully exclusive and getting a muddied answer = It's not exclusive.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's cross gen. You don't just ignore 100 million potential buyers. R&C is their "see what SSDs can do" game other than that I don't expect next gen only games until 2022.

What changes between 2021 and 2022?

If one adopts the mindset of "not leaving behind 100+ million gamers", what exactly is going to change in 2022? You're still going to have 100+ million PS4 owners without PS5s in 2022. By that logic, all first party Sony games should be cross-gen well into 2025 so as to not leave behind the massive PS4 user base, no?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I expect ragnarok to be a miles morales game in terms of length and what platforms it's going to be on.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

When's the cutoff where it becomes acceptable, in your very arbitrary way of thinking, to expect next-gen games to be next-gen games?

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Considering this game is only confirmed to be named "the next title in the God of War series", my interpretation of all this is that they are not going to be called out to clarify anything in relation to the game until they choose to do so on their terms. Concluding from that "no comment" that this will be a cross-gen title is a massive reach.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If it was going to be exclusive he would say so, just like Insomniac has about Ratchet. This isn't a bad thing imo. PS4 has a huge player base and getting a PS5 might not be too easy for awhile.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Considering this game is only confirmed to be named "the next title in the God of War series", my interpretation of all this is that they are not going to be called out to clarify anything in relation to the game until they choose to do so on their terms. Concluding from that "no comment" that this will be a cross-gen title is a massive reach.
Because they haven't reached that part of the PR schedule yet? All year people have been saying "if X is true, why wouldn't Sony say
X is true?!" and some of the time, even though Sony said nothing, X turned out to be true.

Silence is non-diagnostic.
Some common sense for a change

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Don't know where these "Miles Morales type of game" talks began but they make no sense. When GOW launched Cory always said a sequel would be way faster to make since they have assets and all that, pre Covid I always expected GOW Ragnarok in 2021, Covid only made me doubt that date not the scope

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This is a completely selfish thing to say but I'll be so disappointed if this is cross gen. Those loading areas, long ass boat rides, etc, kinda killed the pacing for me. With the game's "one-take" style, they had to add so much filler to mask loading to the point where I wish they just cut to loading screens. I really believe that cutting out a lot of that would greatly improve the game overall.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
i actually can't tell anything from his answer.
You can be like "well if he doesn't admit it it might be because it is cross gen" or go like "if it was cross gen it would be okay to say it. it's not like PS5 sales would drop because of that"
They kinda sold folks on the PS5 in June with Spiderman, Horizon, etc. Then said they are on PS5 only. Then a few months later they said they are also on PS4 just as the ps5 pre orders launched. I get it, they gave notice. But had they said all of this including GoW in June and that they were PS4 as well. You can be sure that at least some sales would be lost. At least.

Oct 27, 2017
I expect ragnarok to be a miles morales game in terms of length and what platforms it's going to be on.
Why would you expect that?
From last week.
wccftech.com

PS5 Games Will Continue to be Crossgen Compatible with PS4 for at Least 3 Years Says Sony

How long will you continue to be able to play games on both the PS4 and PS5? Crossgen isn't going away anytime too soon!
This was about developers in general, including 3rd party, supporting the PS4 for a total of 10 years like Sony has done in the past. This is not an indication of what they will provide in terms of PS5 exclusives.