• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly confused about what details people want on BC. Like, they've said what it is. 99% of PS4 games, digital or physical, will work on the PS5. They will run and look like they ran on the best version of the PS4 they already ran for. Some games will get patches to run better. Some games will get full upgrades, which you may or may not have to pay for. What is left? What is confusing?

Speaking for myself but confirmation of "more patches" from ND and From Software or any other first party game would be nice. If people are saying games will be like running boost mode on PS4 Pro, but on PS5, that kinda sucks lol. That isn't how I envisioned BC handling on next gen hardware. Guess I had my hopes too high when I decided to hold off on finishing Ghost, or replaying TLOU2 because the performance isn't that great at times.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
LOL

I can't believe how defensive some people in this thread are acting towards people wanting more details on exactly what BC will fully entail on PS5.
lol amazing.

I think we can say that we believe that PS5 BC will be a fine solution, while also saying "it'd be nice to actually have some DETAILS". I can't believe people are like "well 99% of them will play and that's pretty much all I want to know." Like.. no it's not. You want to know more - people keep telling me that PS4 games will be enhanced - perfect, so what are they? Simple question, right?

The bigger problem for Sony is that Jim Ryan has been burning through his already somewhat tenuous credibility. Any statement with a bit of wiggle room, just automatically sets off the question marks. And that's on top of SEVERAL statements that have all raised question marks. This would be a perfect time to counter that with a bit of transparency from the top - show off the BC enhancements (or even just tell us that it's gonna just be the same for almost every game in the catalog - people would be ecstatic with just that). I'd like them to show the teardown earlier than normally would or do a deep dive into the UI, but I imagine they have events or marketing beats tied to those.

But BC info would be perfect right now.
After the months leading up to now, which includes this thread...

What exactly do ppl want to know? Because I feel its already been answered.

Exec says statement, thats not enough.

If you want intimate details....just have to wait?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Speaking for myself but confirmation of "more patches" from ND and From Software or any other first party game would be nice. If people are saying games will be like running boost mode on PS4 Pro, but on PS5, that kinda sucks lol. That isn't how I envisioned BC handling on next gen hardware. Guess I had my hopes too high when I decided to hold off on finishing Ghost, or replaying TLOU2 because the performance isn't that great at times.
Yes, you had your hopes too high. And anyone who assumed that PS4 games would run any better on PS5 did too. If they do run better, that's awesome. But no one should have gone into this assuming that would be the case.

Jan 20, 2019

GIthub has 3 different modes, one for base ps4, other for ps4 pro and bost mode.

No, I don't expect it of Sony. But Xbox did. All games will work, except Kinect games. They told us what won't work. And it was clear and easy to understand and there was very little ambiguity. Now, will there maybe be a few more titles that they didn't tell us that don't work, yea that's possible. But that's still very different from "Mm.. Yea, I think that's enough information for you.

That is the exact same thing, that is what 99% of the games means.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly confused about what details people want on BC. Like, they've said what it is. 99% of PS4 games, digital or physical, will work on the PS5. They will run and look like they ran on the best version of the PS4 they already ran for. Some games will get patches to run better. Some games will get full upgrades, which you may or may not have to pay for. What is left? What is confusing?
Right....

But ppl wanna go "but what does that MEAN!!!?

It means this:

www.resetera.com

Updated PS5 website confirms "Faster and Smoother framerates in select PS4 and PSVR games"

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/ - This section was added after the event this Wednesday. Despite Cerny's talk earlier this year, there was still some doubt regarding whether or not backwards compatible games on PS5 would receive any sort of enhancement beyond loading times and easing...

As in....the closer we get to launch, more info will come out.

Its not that complicated.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
I really wish they had shown already the backwards compatible mode in action. Really curious if it's going to work faster (as it should) and have no major issues (show me that Bloodborne loading times).

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do we actually know?

We know some games can benefit from running seeing the full ps5 specs instead of being in one of the bc modes that will cap performance. But we don't know how many, even a ballpark.
99% of PS4 games are playable on the PS5. We know you don't actually care about BC on the PS5.

Have a good day.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
After the months leading up to now, which includes this thread...

What exactly do ppl want to know? Because I feel its already been answered.

Exec says statement, thats not enough.

If you want intimate details....just have to wait?
As in....the closer we get to launch, more info will come out.

Its not that complicated.
Fair enough. I think we're on the same page. The only difference is that you're telling me to wait when preorders have already happened and the console is less than 2 months from release. And I'm asking.. wait why are we waiting?

GIthub has 3 different modes, one for base ps4, other for ps4 pro and bost mode.

That is the exact same thing, that is what 99% of the games means.
Yes. And Xbox explained what the 1% is. And that was useful information. Again, I don't expect it of Sony. But it sure would be useful if they would tell us, would it not? Like in what world is it WORSE to have more specific information about the console you're pledging $500 for and that you will be using in a couple months? Would you have preferred if they kept Dual Sense a secret until the day before launch?

Again, I expect the PS5 BC solution will be FINE. I have been convinced of that - the vast majority of people will be served just fine whether every game has slightly better framerates or if it's just a few, as long as it plays at least as well as it did on PS4. But as enthusiasts on an enthusiast forum, I'd have expecting some Sony enthusiasts to be more enthusiastic about knowing about the console you are soon to own. I'm interested because I'm interested in the tech. Just like I'm interested in the teardown because I'm interested in the tech and how Cerny architected the thing and to learn more about the SmartShift tech that we still are basing all of our knowledge of off of a few sentences Cerny said half a year ago.

I'm greedy. I want more info. Forgive me for my curiosity. On the flip side, MS hasn't shown any games on XSX. Am I forgiven for wanting them to give me more info there? 2 months away!! Tell us everything lol

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I think we're on the same page. The only difference is that you're telling me to wait when preorders have already happened and the console is less than 2 months from release. And I'm asking.. wait why are we waiting?

Yes. And Xbox explained what the 1% is. And that was useful information. Again, I don't expect it of Sony. But it sure would be useful if they would tell us, would it not? Like in what world is it WORSE to have more specific information about the console you're pledging $500 for and that you will be using in a couple months? Would you have preferred if they kept Dual Sense a secret until the day before launch?

Again, I expect the PS5 BC solution will be FINE. I have been convinced of that - the vast majority of people will be served just fine whether every game has slightly better framerates or if it's just a few, as long as it plays at least as well as it did on PS4. But as enthusiasts on an enthusiast forum, I'd have expecting some Sony enthusiasts to be more enthusiastic about knowing about the console you are soon to own. I'm interested because I'm interested in the tech. Just like I'm interested in the teardown because I'm interested in the tech and how Cerny architected the thing and to learn more about the SmartShift tech that we still are basing all of our knowledge of off of a few sentences Cerny said half a year ago.

I'm greedy. I want more info. Forgive me for my curiosity. On the flip side, MS hasn't shown any games on XSX. Am I forgiven for wanting them to give me more info there? 2 months away!! Tell us everything lol

Read my mind. And on that, I agree. Both companies could do better in areas of giving more info.

tenor.gif

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But as enthusiasts on an enthusiast forum, I'd have expecting some Sony enthusiasts to be more enthusiastic about knowing about the console you are soon to own. I'm interested because I'm interested in the tech. Just like I'm interested in the teardown because I'm interested in the tech and how Cerny architected the thing and to learn more about the SmartShift tech that we still are basing all of our knowledge of off of a few sentences Cerny said half a year ago.

I agree with all this. But you've got to see that some are using this as cover for some pretty inane concern trolling. It's just as annoying as the people pretending that Microsoft's slightly obsfucated naming conventions are going to lead to mass panic and people accidentally buying Wii U's in November for their grandkids.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I agree with all this. But you've got to see that some are using this as cover for some pretty inane concern trolling. It's just as annoying as the people pretending that Microsoft's slightly obsfucated naming conventions are going to lead to mass panic and people accidentally buying Wii U's in November for their grandkids.
Yea we agree on that. Small things become big things. I think we should all be in this together in wanting the companies to tell us more. We waited so long for price and preorder info, it's a shame if we're just giving up on asking for more haha. I've actually been more patient than most regarding price and preorders, unlike many of our number (RIP). But, at this point, we're in the endgame. Preorders are live and shipments are soon.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Do we know this is true for PS5? Has it been specifically stated? Because I'm not even sure it's been specified for Xbox Series S/X. The most recent podcast with Hryb talked all about just moving your Xbox One USB drive to the Series S/X, but that you'd need those games on internal storage (or the SSD port expansion) to get the Series S/X upgrades.

I still haven't seen Xbox say you can store Series S/X games on the USB and move back and forth yet. It's entirely possible they won't allow it because of customer service headaches from buyers who don't understand why their downloaded games on the USB drive won't play. This can be fixed by an appropriate error message with instructions, but I don't know if they'll go that route.

There have been several articles. Microsoft have stated that they can be stored on external drives but to play those Series X games, you will have to transfer them over to the internal drive. To play games with the series X enhancements, you need to run the game off the internal drive too.

OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games can be run from an external drive, or internal but Series X games and any game with Series X enhancements NEED to be run off the internal drive.

Dec 14, 2017
There have been several articles. Microsoft have stated that they can be stored on external drives but to play those Series X games, you will have to transfer them over to the internal drive. To play games with the series X enhancements, you need to run the game off the internal drive too.

OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games can be run from an external drive, or internal but Series X games and any game with Series X enhancements NEED to be run off the internal drive.
I'd thought so, but I didn't have the source, and the last I'd heard, the statement was focused on BC/previous gen games.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
I think the 1% is Rock Band 4.
I haven't heard anything about Sony making peripherals work. Maybe usb headsets and like the usual Sony stuff (PSVR stuff too) but I can't imagine the mad catz (RIP mad catz) guitars working on next gen. Harmonix has been very silent too.

Maybe Microsoft will support Rock Band 4 still... (they've been more open with backwards compatibility).

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It's amazing how many times they had to "clarify" things that did not need any clarification at all, yet here we are in the 12th page of another thread with some concern trolling here and there...

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
So does that mean it will play more than 100 gam... I'm kidding lol
Poor Sony, they misunderstood that first impressions are everything. I still see people thinking only 100 games are BC.

west

Oct 28, 2017
The 1% does not really matter. Sony just cant say 100% because there is no way they could actually verify it. The emulation is propably 1:1, but there might be some edge case only happening after 200h in some specific game. Properly testing one game takes hundreds of man-hours, plus requires running automated tests that Sony does not have. The developers have them in their development environments that might or might not still exist, but I bet only a fraction of smaller devs even have ps5 dev kits to test them on.

Just feels like so many bad faith takes...

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Sony underestimated the importance BC would have for the audience. With online games and GaaS being the new norm continuity between system is mandatory and Sony should have known that better than anyone.

A very simple video showing what happen eactly when you insert a PS4 disk into the PS5 should have been uploaded months ago and we wouldn't have needed these discussions. But somehow Sony decided that keeping people int he dark untile the very last moment is the right take for some reason.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
While loading times will definitely improve on PS4 BC games you'd need to patch the code (no mean feat) to really take advantage of that SSD. So only games that get a PS5 enhancement patch, free or not, will be where the SSD is really going to shine. Don't hold your breath for 90% of games.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Not sure why people are so sure PT won't come over. You can transfer it to other ps4s via external HDD and the proxy download trick still worked last I checked.