• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
it is a major uphill battle for Sony to make major headway on the Japan market.
I honestly feel the home console market in japan was about maxed out with the PS4. Sure Sony could have most likely sold more if they dropped prices way harder or invest a huge amount of money into new IP (hundreds of millions if not over a billion) but even then I doubt they would have moved a whole lot more units.

If Sony is able to sell as much with the PS5 and keep publishers happy that would be good enough.

Oct 31, 2017
You think 3rd parties have been growing in Japan on Playstation platform in recent years? And if we're talking the west, plenty of these mid-tier developed JP titles that now include Switch are seeing 2:1 in Switch's favor. Capcom's own leak even brings up a JRPG boom happening in the west on the Switch currently, and they cite Nintendo 1st party, Nintendo exclusives (full and timed), and seeing 3rd party results.

But we're talking about Japan here and Sony's failure to resonate and reach audiences in Japan. Their reach is incredibly low in Japan. And they over rely on 3rd parties to try and pull them out of it when it hasn't worked for the PS4. They don't make games that appeal to Japan, they don't fund games that could resonate in Japan, they do nothing.

You have a very weird fascination with not actually answering the post you're quoting and have this tendency to talk about Nintendo.

What does this have to do with Sony's games reaching significantly more people?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are concerned here. The PS5 is avialable in the Japanese market. It has Japanese games. What's the concern?

It is just concern that Sony is not as dominant as it used to be in the region? Why does that matter?
The concern is the long term health of the market and that it isn't good that only 1 system is dominate. I want them to grow, I'd even love to see Xbox grow but Xbox feels like a pipedream

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are concerned here. The PS5 is available in the Japanese market. It has Japanese games. What's the concern?

It is just concern that Sony is not as dominant as it used to be in the region? Why does that matter?

For me I'm just correcting inaccuracies. It's not an incredibly important market to them anymore. It still means something, but nothing close to 15 years ago.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The concern is the long term health of the market and that it isn't good that only 1 system is dominate. I want them to grow, I'd even love to see Xbox grow but Xbox feels like a pipedream
But that's the trend. I don't think that is Sony's fault. They only have so much resources. And Japan is going to experience a demographic time bomb as well.

Sony is putting effort. The question is how much effort do they need when their results aren't moving the needle in that region.

Sony historically has relied on 3rd parties. And even those Japanese 3rd parties need to make their games appealing beyond Japan to remain financially solvent.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Why people are being so petty?

I'm not the biggest Switch fan out there but it's both a home console and a portable console.

Nintendo managed to release games that appeal to the Japanese audience while Sony biggest focus has been the West with their big AAA titles.

PS5 is going to do really well WW, but i expect a drop from PS4 in Japan for obvious reasons.

We are seeing how poorly the PS5 software is selling in Japan right now, like, really bad.

ThisIsPrfct

Jun 9, 2019
Maybe not Xbox per sé... but xCloud could make way for some growth for Microsoft on Japan... it really could, and it would eventually benefit the Xbox brand as a whole with more ports (I'm not talking about a explosion of Japanese support but at least better support than what they have now).

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The fact that PS5 released 1st in Japan (a few hours) than US and Europe, should be enough telling that Sony is more comited to Japan than last gen, compared to PS4 launch where Japan only got the console months later.

But if bloomberg say Sony dont cares about japan, we must all believe and ignore the facts.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
liar...don't believe his lies

did I do it right?

I think Jim is kinda refreshing for PR cuz he just says dry stuff and it is what it is.

Oct 31, 2017
Using Final Fantasy as a counterpoint is very weird because it happened 25 years ago and was actually part of a major shift in the dynamics of the market that put Sony on top and Nintendo as a distant second.

There are better examples of cross pollination in the modern day(DQ, MH, Level 5, TWEWY?) on PS4/PS5 but the major difference is that since the PlayStation entered the market it has enjoyed a vast amount of exclusive content from Japanese publishers and Sony has relied on that to sell the platform(in Japan at least).

But also it's the risk of it rippling out as Nanashrew says, not that I think it will. PlayStation already had a diminished presence against the 3DS and early days of the Switch despite getting a lot more third party support than those systems so how much more difficult will it be without that advantage? and what happens if it gets to the point that a Nintendo marketing deal in exchange for exclusivity makes more sense?

Not sure how you read that post and got that out of the FF example, never mind the others.

Third party exclusives aren't much of a thing anymore. Stuff like Vice City or Tekken 4 or Final Fantasy X wouldn't release on one system if released today. Talking about fewer exclusives misses what the industry is right now.

This post seems like hypothetical concern trolling, which I've been getting a big vibe from the whole thread.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that PS5 released 1st in Japan (a few hours) than US and Europe, should be enough telling that Sony is more comited to Japan than last gen, compared to PS4 launch where Japan only got the console months later.

But if bloomberg say Sony dont cares about japan, we must all believe and ignore the facts.
How about the fact PS5 got a quarter the upfront shipments PS4 did in japan? Or that Japan is getting lower shipments than smaller western markets?

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are the reasons? Because the console is big?
Because PS4 has trended down in Japan and PS5 looks to do nothing to reverse that trend. I think right now the logical conclusion to make is that PS5 will sell less than PS4 in Japan. Yeah it is an assumption, but there is really no evidence right now to say things will get better.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
This is the kind of situation where perception gets over reality. Jim Ryan is right when he says that the latter half of the PS4 gen enjoyed a great level of Japanese support that is probably continuing with the PS5. He's merely stating facts. But people are refusing to accept that because they are obsessed with Switch sales, Xbox getting Yakuza, Steam getting Persona, and other stuff that is not even related to Playstation to begin with.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
less games targeted at the market that are appealing.
Because PlayStation in general has very few of the best selling games in Japan.
Less games than the PS4? Im seeing a stronger japanese games line up right now than it was back when the PS4 released.

No, the trends since PS3. Sony home consoles keep doing worse and worse. The PS3 only had one 1 million seller.
Yeah demographic changes are most likely a major concern. I wonder if the young in japan will move up to consoles.

Because PS4 has trended down in Japan and PS5 looks to do nothing to reverse that trend. I think right now the logical conclusion to make is that PS5 will sell less than PS4 in Japan. Yeah it is an assumption, but there is really no evidence right now to say things will get better.
Its a little early to call because if we are factual the PS4 released 3 months late so the PS5 is actually ahead in that sense. But you are right I dont see a lot that will make the PS5 sell a lot better than the PS4 but I also dont see a lot of reasons at least games wise that it sell much less.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Ring Fit is on its way to sell past 3M and the NSW ~30M ?
His number was 1.8 million, and then there's digital and future sales.

If 10 million people bought the NSW as primarily a home console, you could expect a primarily home console game to sell 4+ million (at least on a Nintendo platform, where game sales are more consolidated to the top games).

A more difficult case to draw any conclusions from would be if 25 million bought the console on the premise that it does both portable and home console gaming well. In that case, even if Ringfit sold 20 million, that doesn't mean that it follows that 20 million people would buy something that is strictly a home console.

It is difficult to use the Switch as evidence that there is a demographic who is interested in something, when there is so much room for it to appeal to other demographics including ones that basically never existed before.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
How about the fact PS5 got a quarter the upfront shipments PS4 did in japan? Or that Japan is getting lower shipments than smaller western markets?
How about the fact that Sony is launching a console Worldwide and thers so much inventory for all these countries? Few consoles is better than 0 consoles, thats what PS4 sold in Japan when it launched. Japan only got stock for PS4, 3 months later after it launched in US and EU.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Jim will never win here even if he's right with some things. He's branded for life. Imo awful for PR.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018

if you remember: the PS4 launched months after the rest of the world in Japan; roughly around the time when it was no longer supply constrained anywhere.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
How about the fact that Sony is launching a console Worldwide and thers so much inventory for all these countries? Few consoles is better than 0 consoles, thats what PS4 sold in japan when it launched. Japan only got stock 3 months latter.
Why are Sony's 3rd, 4th, etc markets getting more stock than their 2nd?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Less games than the PS4? Im seeing a stronger japanese games line up right now than it was back when the PS4 released.

Yeah demographic changes are most likely a major concern. I wonder if the young in japan will move up to consoles.

Its a little early to call because if we are factual the PS4 released 3 months late so the PS5 is actually ahead in that sense. But you are right I dont see a lot that will make the PS5 sell a lot better than the PS4 but I also dont see a lot of reasons at least games wise that it sell much less.
Well it's a chicken and egg problem. Sony shows less interest, less games that appeal to that market are developed for their platform, repeat.

All the while Nintendo and mobile continue to strengthen their appeal in Japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Look again.

Aligned JP developed/designed/produced games committed to each platform:

PlayStation 5
  • All Elite Wrestling: The Game (AEW Games, Yuke's)
  • Astro's Playroom (SIEJA, Japan Studio)
  • Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy (Koei Tecmo, Gust)
  • Balan Wonderworld (Square Enix, Balan Company, Arzest)
  • Demon's Souls (SIEJA, Japan Studio, Bluepoint Games)
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (Capcom)
  • Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires (Koei Tecmo, Omega Force)
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (Rabbit & Bear Studios)
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - A Quiet Place (Rabbit & Bear Studios, Natsume-Atari)
  • Final Fantasy XIV: Online (Square Enix)
  • Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix)
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo (Bethesda Softworks, Tango Gameworks)
  • Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re★Verse (Idea Factory, Compile Heart)
  • Goonya Fighter: Jiggly Happy Edition (Mutan)
  • Gran Turismo 7: The Real Driving Simulator (SIEJA, Polyphony Digital)
  • Guilty Gear -STRIVE- (Arc System Works)
  • Megaton Musashi (Level 5)
  • Nioh Remastered: The Complete Edition (Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja)
  • Nioh 2 Remastered: The Complete Edition (Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja)
  • Pragmata (Capcom)
  • Project Athia (Square Enix, Luminous Productions)
  • Psikyo Shooting Collection (City Connection, ZeroDiv)
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2: The Ultimate Puzzle Match (Sega, Sonic Team)
  • Resident Evil: VILLAGE (Capcom)
  • Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco)
  • void tRrLM(); ++ver; //Void Terrarium Plus (Nippon Ichi Soft)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Sega, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio)
  • Yuoni (Chorus Worldwide, Tricore)

PlayStation 4
  • Assault Suit Leynos (Dracue Software)
  • Deep Down (Capcom)
  • Dream C Club: Host Girls on Stage (D3 Publisher, Tamsoft)
  • Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo, Omega Force)
  • Earth Defense Force series (D3 Publisher, Sandlot)
  • The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks, Tango Gameworks)
  • Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)
  • Galak-Z: The Dimensional (17-Bit Games)
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (Arc System Works)
  • Gran Turismo series (SCEJA, Polyphony Digital)
  • The Idolm@ster series (Bandai Namco)
  • Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix)
  • Knack (SCEJA, Japan Studio)
  • The Last Guardian (SCEJA, Japan Studio, genDesign)
  • Legend of Raven (Nicalis, PDW: Hotapen)
  • Lily Bergamo (GungHo Online, Grasshopper Manufacture)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Konami, Kojima Productions)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami, Kojima Productions)
  • Mighty No. 9 (Comcept, Inti Creates)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam series (Bandai Namco)
  • Natural Doctrine (Kadokawa Games)
  • Nikoli Puzzle 4 Sudoku (Hamster)
  • Nobunaga no Yabo Online (Koei Tecmo)
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (Koei Tecmo)
  • Onigiri (Cyberstep)
  • Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive (5bp.Games)
  • PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate (Q-Games, Double Eleven)
  • The Playroom (SCEJA, Japan Studio)
  • Prismatic Solid (Yo1 Komori)
  • Project Phoenix (Creative Intelligence Arts)
  • Revolver360 re:Actor (Cross Eaglet)
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin (Sega, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio)
  • Senran Kagura: Estivial Versus (Marvelous, Tamsoft)
  • Strider (Capcom, Double Helix Games)
  • Sword Art Online series (Bandai Namco)
  • Tottemo E Mahjong Plus (Arc System Works)
  • unannounced title (Falcom) *was Ys VIII
  • unannounced title (Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja) *was Nioh
  • unannounced title (Nippon Ichi Soft) *was Disgaea 5
  • Unsung Story: Tales of the Guardians (Playdek)
  • WonderFlick (Level 5)
Capcom's definitely better for PS5 but most JP pubs arguably had stronger commitments to PS4 upfront.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

We just have to see how Sony is managing their studios in order to form an opinion, no need for Bloomberg to post anything.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look again.

Aligned JP developed/designed/produced games committed to each platform:

PlayStation 5
  • All Elite Wrestling: The Game (AEW Games, Yuke's)
  • Astro's Playroom (SIEJA, Japan Studio)
  • Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy (Koei Tecmo, Gust)
  • Balan Wonderworld (Square Enix, Balan Company, Arzest)
  • Demon's Souls (SIEJA, Japan Studio, Bluepoint Games)
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (Capcom)
  • Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires (Koei Tecmo, Omega Force)
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (Rabbit & Bear Studios)
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - A Quiet Place (Rabbit & Bear Studios, Natsume-Atari)
  • Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix)
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo (Bethesda Softworks, Tango Gameworks)
  • Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re★Verse (Idea Factory, Compile Heart)
  • Goonya Fighter: Jiggly Happy Edition (Mutan)
  • Gran Turismo 7: The Real Driving Simulator (SIEJA, Polyphony Digital)
  • Guilty Gear -STRIVE- (Arc System Works)
  • Megaton Musashi (Level 5)
  • Nioh Remastered: The Complete Edition (Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja)
  • Nioh 2 Remastered: The Complete Edition (Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja)
  • Pragmata (Capcom)
  • Project Athia (Square Enix, Luminous Productions)
  • Psikyo Shooting Collection (City Connection, ZeroDiv)
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2: The Ultimate Puzzle Match (Sega, Sonic Team)
  • Resident Evil: VILLAGE (Capcom)
  • Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco)
  • void tRrLM(); ++ver; //Void Terrarium Plus (Nippon Ichi Soft)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Sega, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio)
  • Yuoni (Chorus Worldwide, Tricore)

PlayStation 4
  • Assault Suit Leynos (Dracue Software)
  • Deep Down (Capcom)
  • Dream C Club: Host Girls on Stage (D3 Publisher, Tamsoft)
  • Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo, Omega Force)
  • Earth Defense Force series (D3 Publisher, Sandlot)
  • The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks, Tango Gameworks)
  • Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)
  • Galak-Z: The Dimensional (17-Bit Games)
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (Arc System Works)
  • Gran Turismo series (SCEJA, Polyphony Digital)
  • The Idolm@ster series (Bandai Namco)
  • Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix)
  • Knack (SCEJA, Japan Studio)
  • The Last Guardian (SCEJA, Japan Studio, genDesign)
  • Legend of Raven (Nicalis, PDW: Hotapen)
  • Lily Bergamo (GungHo Online, Grasshopper Manufacture)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Konami, Kojima Productions)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami, Kojima Productions)
  • Mighty No. 9 (Comcept, Inti Creates)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam series (Bandai Namco)
  • Natural Doctrine (Kadokawa Games)
  • Nikoli Puzzle 4 Sudoku (Hamster)
  • Nobunaga no Yabo Online (Koei Tecmo)
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (Koei Tecmo)
  • Onigiri (Cyberstep)
  • Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive (5bp.Games)
  • PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate (Q-Games, Double Eleven)
  • The Playroom (SCEJA, Japan Studio)
  • Prismatic Solid (Yo1 Komori)
  • Project Phoenix (Creative Intelligence Arts)
  • Revolver360 re:Actor (Cross Eaglet)
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin (Sega, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio)
  • Senran Kagura: Estivial Versus (Marvelous, Tamsoft)
  • Strider (Capcom, Double Helix Games)
  • Sword Art Online series (Bandai Namco)
  • Tottemo E Mahjong Plus (Arc System Works)
  • unannounced title (Falcom) *was Ys VIII
  • unannounced title (Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja) *was Nioh
  • unannounced title (Nippon Ichi Soft) *was Disgaea 5
  • Unsung Story: Tales of the Guardians (Playdek)
  • WonderFlick (Level 5)
Capcom's definitely better for PS5 but most JP pubs arguably had stronger commitments to PS4 upfront.

And Capcom WW is much stronger than their JP market, so makes sense.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
None of those fall into "best selling games in Japan". FFXVI is the biggest we know of right now and even that might top out at barely a million.
Remind me again what "best selling games in Japan" were announced close to the PS4 launch.

Well it's a chicken and egg problem. Sony shows less interest, less games that appeal to that market are developed for their platform, repeat.

All the while Nintendo and mobile continue to strengthen their appeal in Japan.
Oh but thats not actually true. PS4 and PS5 have the best japanese third party support and even former nintendo exclusive franchises are now coming to it. The sequel to TWETY was just announced for PS4, while PS4 and presumingly PS5 will also get DQ and Monster Hunter.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Considering the stock the fact they launched it at the same time is not what it matters. But rather how much stock thet allocated to their '2nd' market.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
What that has anything to do with what i said? Sony is showing a bigger support for Japan with the PS5 than they did with the PS4 that only released there 3 months later after all those 3rd and 4th markets u saying got it.
Because a token soft day one launch is proving no better that a full but delayed one. There's functionally no improvement here.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Remind me again what "best selling games in Japan" were announced close to the PS4 launch.

Oh but thats not actually true. PS4 and PS5 have the best japanese third party support and even former nintendo exclusive franchises are now coming to it. The sequel to TWETY was just announced for PS4, while PS4 and presumingly PS5 will also get DQ and Monster Hunter.
As the PS4 and Playstation in general get games that never graced the platform before, like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Yoaki Watch and TWEWY, those sales are dismissed as Japanese consumers not interested in it, what a waste of resources, they are not aligning the market (but at the same time, Sony you need to align yourself with the Japanese market)...but Saga Frontier remaster gets announced for PS4 with PC/Switch...OMG another lost former Playstation exclusive...Sony is doomed.[/QUOTE]

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not releasing three months later like PS4 is really a band aid on a bullet wound.

It's a nice gesture but it's hard to say it's anything more at this point.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has to say this but traditional consoles are dead in Japan, only handhelds or hybrids like Switch will do well.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But those aren't arent thanks to PS strong presence in the japanese market, but rather those IP are looking to expand beyond Japan, specially MH which no longer sells the most in Japan.

Is not like PS lost several of their 'exclusives IPs' either...

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This thread would have you believe that despite the fact that Sony sees major support from third party in Japan, even by way of exclusives, people in Japan don't care because they're not branded first party.