• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"The Sony stance is that the Japanese market remains incredibly important to us," he said. "We have not been as excited about the engagement of the Japanese game development community as we are now for many years."
"I'd also observe that we're making a statement by launching in Japan day and date with the US, and that is not what we did with PS4. So I read that stuff. A lot of that commentary is inaccurate, and Japan – as our second largest market and as Sony's homeland – continues to be really important to us."
This is from the Edge magazine, I thought it'd make for a interesting topic since there has been lots of talk recently regarding Sony and it's focus on Japan. Personally I do feel that Japan Studios output has been dismal compared to what they doing before but as people have pointed out they did release 2 launch games on the PS5 (Demon's souls and Astro's playroom).

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
People here are not going to believe this, so I don't know what's the point anymore discussing this. Minds have been made up that Bloomberg was right and Sony's sidelining Japan.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
That's obviously a lie. We all know they only care about *checks notes* ...California...

May 19, 2020
playstation will be the defacto console for certain japanese games so i think it will work out fine for them

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
People here are not going to believe this, so I don't know what's the point anymore discussing this. Minds have been made up that Bloomberg was right and Sony's sidelining Japan.
This weird ass Jim Ryan hate seems personal.
This!

The Japanese sales tell us otherwise, Jim.

Case and point.....sigh

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

This. It's incredibly dumb but enough people have the arrogance to think they know exactly how things are going down within large corporations based on second hand information in news articles and tweets. While it's entirely possible that there's truth to the Bloomberg story, it almost definitely doesn't paint a full picture of exactly what's happening internally and why, so definitively calling Jim and liar and saying Sony doesn't care about Japan anymore seems incredibly stupid and premature.

Let's just wait and see how this gen unfolds. It literally started less than a month ago.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sony "sideline" Japan by pushing PS4 launch to 3 months later? Don't remember ppl making a big deal out of it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The argument that people have is that Japan Studio's situation is supposed to reflect Sony's sidelining of Japan, but honestly? if you've actually paid attention to how Japan Studio games perform in domestic markets, you'll know that Japan Studio's output has no meaningful relevance to the value that SIE sees in Japan as a market.

Japan Studio has released no games in the past several generations that made more than a dent when it comes to commercial success in the Japanese console market.

Japan Studio being side-lined functionally only means that SIE doesn't see their domestic first-party as a reliable resource for sucess in the Japanese market, and will instead... rely on 3rd-party exclusive deals like timed exclusivity of FF16/Athia/etc.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. It's incredibly dumb but enough people have the arrogance to think they know exactly how things are going down within large corporations based on second hand information in news articles and tweets. While it's entirely possible that there's truth to the Bloomberg story, it almost definitely doesn't paint a full picture of exactly what's happening internally and why, so definitively calling Jim and liar and saying Sony doesn't care about Japan anymore seems incredibly stupid and premature.

Let's just wait and see how this gen unfolds. It literally started less than a month ago.

Thank You !

While I do expect PS Sales to decline from PS4 , there is far more negativity around this and too much of concern trolling

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of Ape Escape is causing me sleepless nights.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Sony getting every big japanese games and Sony appealing to the japanese audience are two very different things.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
>as our second largest market
imagine wasting energy on era trying to insist that japan is irrelevant, japan isn't 2nd largest market, japan gdp situation doesn't help, europe is worth better focus etc then jim ends up saying you're wrong lol

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The argument that people have is that Japan Studio's situation is supposed to reflect Sony's sidelining of Japan, but honestly? if you've actually paid attention to how Japan Studio games perform in domestic markets, you'll know that Japan Studio's output has no meaningful relevance to the value that SIE sees in Japan as a market.

Japan Studio has released no games in the past several generations that made more than a dent when it comes to commercial success in the Japanese console market.

Japan Studio being side-lined functionally only means that SIE doesn't see their domestic first-party as a reliable resource for sucess in the Japanese market, and will instead... rely on 3rd-party exclusive deals like timed exclusivity of FF16/Athia/etc.
That's actually part of the problem with Sony and being unable to resonate with Japanese audiences and a whole large discussion we were all having in the final pages of the Bloomberg thread. Their overreliance on 3rd parties to handle their decline in the region is not going to work and didn't even work for the PS4.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's "lying" but I think the way he frames his answer is very telling. Japan is important to Sony primarily just as an avenue to get exclusive content to differentiate from Xbox on Worldwide scale.

I do think his assertion that publishers went console->mobile->console and that is continuing in that direction in Japan is kind of inaccurate though. PS4 consolidated the support from Vita(and some from 3DS) but they are now losing ground to the Switch primarily.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's right.

People think too much in extremes. Japan not being as important doesn't mean Japan is irrelevant.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony don't want to have the PS5 be their least successful home console ever by a large margin in Japan they need to put major money into developing games targeted at the Japanese market, whether its expanding their developers or funding through other companies. I don't think we've seen any evidence of that thus far.

This talk over FF and KH is meaningless. Those sell well outside of Japan, Sony did not need to do any heavy lifting to ensure they were on PS5, and the exclusivity means zip for Japan where xbox is nothing anyway.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It has higher initial sales overall than PS4, but lower initial sales in Japan than PS4. It should tell you everything and how Sony has lowered their expectations and availability in Japan between generations.

What? PS4 launched in Japan months later than the west, when supply was beginning to stabilise.

Simultaneous worldwide launch
Ample supply

Pick one.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Their overreliance on 3rd parties to handle their decline in the region is not going to work and didn't even work for the PS4.

I don't disagree. Console market will continue to shrink in Japan generation-over-generation, no matter how many good games are released.

Nevermind expanding the console market, even stabilizing the console market needs at least several 'lightning-in-the-bottle' level games, like MHW, Splatoon, Ringfit, you name it. Third-parties alone won't deliver those kind of games. Granted, Sony never had one of their own either. It's only been Capcom, Level-5 and Nintendo that I can think of as companies that actually delivered those market-expanding games.

My point is that domestic first-party isn't a reflection of domestic market value. If anything, Sucker Punch as of today is a more important first-party studio to the Japanese market than Japan Studio.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
How can I get to that Edge magazine article? can I buy it online (just the article) or do i need some kind of subscription?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Thank You !

While I do expect PS Sales to decline from PS4 , there is far more negativity around this and too much of concern trolling

Yeah, people need to relax. They're making some interesting choices, and I firmly believe that there are things they could be doing to improve their reach over there instead of getting complacement because "we have Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy", there's next to no real evidence that they're slowly giving up on the region other than people reading into things the way they want to.

My point is that domestic first-party isn't a reflection of domestic market value. If anything, Sucker Punch as of today is a more important first-party studio to the Japanese market than Japan Studio.

This is such a good point and needs to be stressed. The idea that domestic first-party content is a reflection of domestic market value is such an Era take it hurts. It doesn't matter where the games are made so long as they resonate.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sony has a vested interest in making the PlayStation as successful as possible in every territory it's available in. The realities of the Japanese gaming market suggests a lower priority than in the past that Sony has decided to follow on for a busy and complicated launch, but that territory is still important nonetheless.

Shocking.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has a vested interest in making the PlayStation as successful as possible in every territory it's available in. The realities of the Japanese gaming market suggests a lower priority than in the past that Sony has decided to follow on for a busy and complicated launch, but that territory is still important nonetheless.

Shocking.