• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is one of the few pubs that i can see being able to justify $70 as there games are mainly sp with no mtx. The issue is that sony the market leader. If they do it other studios will follow and so gamers will be used to paying $70 for games that do have mtx

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Bit of an odd comparison since you're comparing a brand new game to a bundle which has been out for a while.

The Fraiser set would likely have been much more when it originally released.

I think you're missing the value proposition of six seasons of prime Sitcom gold for half the price of Godfall.

Although if Cheers was more your thing, that's also available for a cool £39.99

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
im not from the uk, however almost 92 usd instead of $60 for a game is ridiculous, i hope they come back to their sense about the pricing of their games in europe

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Yeah, the more you open your mouth, Jim, the less chance there is that I am going to buy at least one PS5 game for the full price.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
This thread isn't about the US price increase though. Its about the UK one which has increased by £20+
I didn't realize that, but I think the same basic response applies. That increase is bigger but the final pricing is still in the ballpark of what the normal person thinks games cost. The folks who would need to rebel against this are the 10 million casual gamers (and their parents) who turn these games into billion dollar franchises, and I don't think gradual bumps like this are what turn them off.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
At £70, Sony are pricing certain players out of the market - particularly families who just can't reasonably afford £70 games.

It doesn't help that Sony's online marketplace is too expensive as well.

I hope the consumer pushes back against this pricing, because it's too steep.

I would think this wouldn't have a lot of effect towards families because the average system owner only buys a couple games a year (typical attach rate at the end of a console's life is at or under 10) and there's already a huge £400-500 upfront fee to buy the system in the first place (more if you want a second controller or want PS+). Someone who buys a regular PS5, a second controller and a couple games is spending about £700 either way regardless of whether the games are £60 or £70. It's very bad optics especially in a worldwide pandemic, but it doesn't actually increase the overall price by that large of a percent.

The price increase hits hardcore gamers who regularly buy brand new AAA games far more. And I imagine the thinking there is that this kind of person is going to buy a ton of games regardless of the price. And if they are more price sensitive, they're the kind of person who will be paying attention to sales and will just get their games that way so you're still successfully selling to them.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's as fair as you see value in that product. I've heard a few people say that if it's a RDR/Zelda/GoW type quality it would be justified but most games it's simply not. Tbh when I'm used to paying £35/40 for a new AAA release £60/70 is extortion and I couldn't justify that even if the game was the best game ever.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Is $70 for Americans without tax? And if so, how much is it with tax?
it differs by state, but as far as i remember there is no state that has a tax >10%
in comparison:
Here Jim, for you

cmUctgK.png

With all my ranting: im not by principle agaisnt expensive games.
But the industrie has shown me for years now, that its not about paying a fair price for the game. The money wont go to the developers, not even a 1% chance. It will only go into the pockets of the publishers.

And they usually are not good in differentiating. Some games being 70, som 60, some 40...all okay.
But in most cases you can expect almost all games to be 70 pound (80€).... and thats the problem.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I agree, it's a very fair price if you're the CEO of Playstation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tali'Zorah

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Don't go digital. I've been shouting for years to everybody it's a trap. Don't sell your freedom away for the convenience of not swapping discs or buying a shelf for your games. It's insanity! Games have value! They can be resold! Poor people RELY on you to resell your games to play them. If nothing else, think about that. Poor people couldn't afford $60+tax before, and they can't afford $70 now. Much less $90. They need used games. The used game market is a godsend and everybody should be helping it along instead of killing it.

When I was growing up, I sold and traded my games. I still sell my games to this day, even if I am not poor anymore, because I can't afford to waste money for no reason and I'm old enough to know what my gaming patterns have been so far. Statistically speaking, you and I will never touch 95% of the games we think we'll replay. Don't let your fear of not being able to replay a game stop you. You can always RE-buy your game a couple years down the line. At cheaper prices and possibly brand new, too. Plenty of great games selling right now for $15 or less. Please save the used game market.

Also, right now on PS5, several physical games are getting huge FPS boosts because you can run them unpatched, while digital games are all patched to the latest version because you have noo controool. What games live, what games die, what games tell your stoooory. Anyways, you get my point.

Apologies for the longer than intended rant.
I completely agree. I dont intend to go digital until I'm literally forced to for many of the reasons you've mentioned here. I'm not in a particularly wealthy position rn so I am literally the person you're talking about in the first paragraph who mostly relies on second hand games to be able to experience the titles that I wanna play

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Cost of living has increased and I could barely afford to buy games last generation. This generation? I'm gonna own even less than before. It's too high. Ugh, this hobby.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Other publishers will be loving this - absolutely setting the tone everyone else will soon be singing. The difference in narrative when Sony do this compared to when Nintendo do it in 3 years time will be night and day

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people in this thread saying £70 is fair, are Americans who think £70 is equal to $70.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Time will tell I suppose but people used to buy overpriced from game and buying overpriced from digital more recently so I dunno, have to wait and see how the market responds but when you see the leap from last to current gen in price, it's a jump but not special edition wise, will people go even higher for those?

Jul 28, 2020
On topic, the whole "I'll only buy when they're on sale" is fine with them, you'll just be paying what you normally paid at launch, only this time you'll be praising their wonderful sale pricing.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This thread isn't about the US price increase though. Its about the UK one which has increased by £20+

This is quite misleading.

The RRP at the beginning of the PS4 generation was £59.99
The RRP at the beginning of the PS5 generation is £69.99

Over time, in the UK, publishers and retailers will tune these prices to maximise profit, which will see them fall significantly. Right now it does constitute a jump of around £20 but half, if not more of that, is not being driven by Sony, it's being driven by the standard next-gen tax which we see every generation. RRP have risen like this every generation for a long time - Microsoft pushed us to £49.99 in 2005, and Sony to £59.99 in 2013 and now we're at £69.99 in 2020. The wheels didn't come off in 2005, or 2013, or 2020. The 360 did great in the UK, the PS4 did great in the UK and the PS5 will do great in the UK.

As every person in the UK knows, RRP doesn't really mean that much. It's a guide that retailers will move further and further from.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
it varies by state. I think you could probably say around $75 max?

It varies by more than state; municipalities have their own tax rates too.

Also no lol. 10% tax rate where I live (in a so-called "taxes are bad!" republican state), which would be $77. And it's higher than that in some other areas (12-13%).

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
it differs by state, but as far as i remember there is no state that has a tax >10%
in comparison:

With all my ranting: im not by principle agaisnt expensive games.
But the industrie has shown me for years now, that its not about paying a fair price for the game. The money wont go to the developers, not even a 1% chance. It will only go into the pockets of the publishers.

And they usually are not good in differentiating. Some games being 70, som 60, some 40...all okay.
But in most cases you can expect almost all games to be 70 pound (80€).... and thats the problem.
So it's just a case of "Fuck Europe" as usual. Cool.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I refuse to pay 80€ for a game. I'm patient and unlike Nintendo games these will be at half-price in 6 months or so. Plenty of games to play in the meantime.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This is quite misleading.

The RRP at the beginning of the PS4 generation was £59.99
The RRP at the beginning of the PS5 generation is £69.99

Over time, in the UK, publishers and retailers will tune these prices to maximise profit, which will see them fall significantly. Right now it does constitute a jump of around £20 but half, if not more of that, is not being driven by Sony, it's being driven by the standard next-gen tax which we see every generation. RRP have risen like this every generation - Microsoft pushed us to £49.99 in 2005, and Sony to £59.99 in 2013 and now we're at £69.99 in 2020. The wheels didn't come off in 2005, or 2013, or 2020.

As every person in the UK knows, RRP doesn't really mean that much. It's a guide that retailers will move further and further from.
It means absolutely loads as we move towards the digital future, because the PS Store is one place where the high prices tends to stick.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
There is a reason why I made XSX my main platform this gen and PS5 just for exclusives. I will buy the exclusive games at a heavily discounted price or second hand. No way in hell will I pay 80 fucking euros for a single game not even a special edition or something just standard edition.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Its funny that overnight nintendo went from the most expensive games to the cheapest option here
Im not paying £70 for anything no chance in hell

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
70 USD + taxes for a game is understandable. But why are we paying almost 80 USD + tax?

I'm going to pay almost 100 USD for Demon's Souls on thursday, and that's fucked.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The US prices here don't include tax. US RRP is $70 excl taxes.

You need to add US tax for a fair comparison
The chart is comparing European (and Australian) prices without tax to US prices without tax.

That's the only fair comparison, and also the only possible comparison, since US taxes are varied and multi-layered.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It means absolutely loads as we move towards the digital future, because the PS Store is one place where the high prices tends to stick.

Of course, we live in a society where companies exploit customers that aren't paying attention. If you're buying credit on PSN and buying games on PSN you're going to pay a fortune. But it will be the least of your worries because you'll also be paying over the odds for your gas, electricity, phone, internet, and so on. It sucks but it is the way of the world right now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If hours of entertainment is the metric justifying price, how come the original Demon's Souls was cheaper? Did Bluepoint add 16% more hours worth of content?

What a clown.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a mind-blowing idea that makes too much sense: Raise prices by about a $1 every year. Basically in line with inflation.

Can you imagine if a car company or electronics manufacturer kept their products at the same prices for a decade and then bumped them up by a huge amount all at once? People would hold off on upgrading until the end of the generation. Just do small increases every year and you won't have these weird jumps with a new console launch.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
$70 is not the same as £70.
But that $70 doesn't include 20% of VAT which the £70 does. Admitedly, that is £63.4 on translation (70.77 Euro for the continent)
Mind that's with a weak dollar, earlier in the year you were looking at almost precisely £70 by that same conversion and 80 Euro. (the later being a bit more involved as continental games require additional localisation work and are priced at 80 Euro despite the fact VAT in say Greece is 24% so in that case Sony takes a smaller cut in those markets, which is in terms paid for by markets with higher margins.)

Grayonx

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
It will all depend on if the customer is willing to pay £70, if they are then it will stay at £70.

I remember the days when N64 games were £70 at launch

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
People are desperately trying to get ahold of $800 GPUs and $500 consoles. They're used to dropping big money on cosmetics, or fancy LED strips to put along their Battlestation with dual/triple 144hz G-Sync monitor setups. A first party controller now sells for $70-$80

Unfortunately this hobby is getting a lot more expensive to enjoy, and people will pay. A $10 game increase will be shrugged right off. Sony just got the ball rolling. Microsoft and Nintendo will follow.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox consoles offer a lot of flexibility with cheap codes readily available

If more take notice of that as well as game pass I could see the market share dropping for Sony in the UK over time. Of course the launch period will be huge and prices do usually relax after a year but its been cheaper to buy games on XBO/XBX in the last few years.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I understand people being angry about the price but it was a question at an interview. What do you think the answer was gonna be? That it's not fair? Get a second job?

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think Sony 1st games justify the $70 premium. They are lenghty games of very high quality with little to no MTX bullshit. That being said, the increase in Europe seems a bit much even though I can't really say how much £70 or €70 is for the average middle-class household in europe / uk.

It is also true that most 1st party games from Sony get pretty hefty discounts not long after release.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It will all depend on if the customer is willing to pay £70, if they are then it will stay at £70.

I remember the days when N64 games were £70 at launch

PS1 games were considerably less pricey at that same time. Comparing modern disc-based games (which are considerably less costly to produce) and digital games (which cost practically nothing to produce) to older cartridge games (which were notoriously expensive to produce at the time) is the definition of an apples to oranges comparison. That's ignoring all the economic and market-based changes that have gone on since then.