• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
£70+ is reasonable to me as long as the game quality and content reflects that 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, but...

At £70, Sony are pricing certain players out of the market - particularly families who just can't reasonably afford £70 games.

It doesn't help that Sony's online marketplace is too expensive as well.

I hope the consumer pushes back against this pricing, because it's too steep.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
Not just quality, but quantity.

~15 hour AAA games should NOT be $70, regardless of how high the quality may be.

We're going in the wrong direction if AAA titles are going from 50+ hour experiences at $60 to 15-20 hour experiences at $70.
We are also going in the wrong direction if games get inflated with fetch quests and meaningless content to justify the $70 price tag.
Time is worth more than money but that said $70 or anything more is too much for any game.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
With digital becoming the norm I think he's wrong here, their margins are increasing, not going down.

I do agree game development costs are going up, but there is an increasing gap between PC and console titles.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I still cannot see where the jump from 50 to 70 came from, it's a huge price hike though almost entirely offset by the fact that prices of software collapse to £25 or less after 3 months lol

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Funny he would quote Demon's Souls, a game that was already out on a previous system and didn't cost as much.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
How could you have the gall to suggest a single PS5 game is worth £70 when the Complete box set of Frasier is currently only £34 on Amazon UK and provides endless hours of entertainment?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Not just quality, but quantity.

~15 hour AAA games should NOT be $70, regardless of how high the quality may be.

We're going in the wrong direction if AAA titles are going from 50+ hour experiences at $60 to 15-20 hour experiences at $70.

Admittedly you are one of literally dozens in this thread making statements like this as if they are part of natural law, but you need to justify this statement. Why do you believe that there should be a maximum price for a game based on how long it is?[/QUOTE]

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Naah, im good. Perfectly happy to pick the game up when its cheaper or used. Aint dropping £70 on a game. This is where my backlog comes to the rescue.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I'm getting a PS5....but I'm not buying any full priced games to go with it (which is a first for me).
Sticking with PS+ and boosted PS4/VR games until those prices start to plummet.

I can't see myself buying any PS5 games that launch with a £70 price as standard (max I ever paid at retail for a PS4 game was £45.I might stretch to £50 for PS5 for a game...but not £70).

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So they're not even charging the UK equivalent to $70, just straight up charging 70 whatever currency across the board because fuck it why not?

What a cunt.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some games aren't worth 70 just as how some games weren't worth 60, but when I see how the games that were personally worth 60 is now adjusted for inflation, to me it's fair. 60 in 2013 is 67 now.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I know it's deeply unpopular in this thread, but gaming has never been more affordable and attainable. The sticker shock of the increased prices hurts, but the prices do have to go up to maintain a healthy system of paying workers, investing in research, paying platform holders... the profit margins on these games aren't exactly high.

Not everything is going to be that high... there's enough variety and scaled development approach that you will get a number of different price points, but for the big, major titles... it's probably right.

And no one is telling the consumer they need to buy - that's a personal decision, and consumers should be reading reviews and understanding what they are getting before plunking down the cash.

And... if the market decides that the higher price point isn't worth it... the companies will follow suit and lower prices again, but with that will come a lot of negative impact on the developers and people inside these companies.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
it depends on the games really. The market will ultimately decide if they're okay with paying +10 from last gen for the games they wanna play.

I'll probably just be more picky with which games deserve the full price :P

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How could you have the gall to suggest a single PS5 game is worth £70 when the Complete box set of Frasier is currently only £34 on Amazon UK and provides endless hours of entertainment?
Ok but the difference is each individual season of Frasier when it was released was expensive and now that it's all been out for years they can drop the price of the complete collection just like they do for games.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Might have been more interesting to ask him about how non-US customers constantly pay more for the same content. Because then stuff quickly isn't fair anymore.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'll give you my opinion.

I have a couple of family members living in Portugal and others in Greece. Some of them get paid 650€ as that is the minimum wage over there, as you can see a 80€ game decision can be complicated for this part of the world.

Honestly I don't know. it makes me think 2 or 3 times regarding a purchase.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In Norway, the prices went from 599-649 NOK (66 - 71 USD) to 859 NOK (95 USD).
It's a fucking farce, Jim.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
The prices in the picture were DM, you need to divide them by 1.95583 for €.

I converted them to Euro and adjusted for inlation which gets me to the equivalent of 100-130€ today for the games in the picture (from 1995). But as i said that wasn't the point, my point was that i paid a lot more for games in the past so these current prices don't bother me much.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
If anything games should now cost less than ever, considering there are more good games in the market then ever while the console gaming population hasn't incresed drastically over the last 10 years.
In other words more there are more compelling alternatives competing for the same resources (my money and time).

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It depends on the game. DS probably is, Sackboy, not so sure. Time will tell. I've always though that games need to be more flexible regarding pricing, it is obvious some cost way more than others to make, so that should be reflected when buying them.
Interesting, as always, how this forum handles certain topics.... when nintendo doesn't drop prices it is because the demand is there, so it is 'fair'.
Let's wait and see if the price hike impacts demand here.

Jun 17, 2018
£70+ is reasonable to me as long as the game quality and content reflects that 🤷🏼‍♂️

There are barely any games out there that are worth £49.99 by that logic. £70 is not fair and there aren't any games out there worth that much money.

Sony's games sell record numbers all the time and they are making tens of millions (if not hundreds of millions) in profits. Where is the justification in raising these prices?

As I said previously, deep deep sales and preowned games via ebay will be the way forward. I can wait a few months to play a game.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Bit of an odd comparison since you're comparing a brand new game to a bundle which has been out for a while.

The Fraiser set would likely have been much more when it originally released.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I see, so we can expect games with campaigns shorter than 20 hours be half the price or something? If game lenght is used to rationalize this. To be fair, Miles Morales seems to be bit cheaper atleast.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the game. DS probably is, Sackboy, not so sure. Time will tell. I've always though that games need to be more flexible regarding pricing, it is obvious some cost way more than others to make, so that should be reflected when buying them. Interesting, as always, how this forum handles certain topics.... when nintendo doesn't drop prices it is because the demand is there, so it is 'fair'. Let's wait and see if the price hike impacts demand here.

Sackboy isn't £70, it's £60, fwiw.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
This price increase is why I'm not getting a PS5. It's honestly pretty insulting that they'd do price gouging to this level and then say it's "fair".

Sadly people will just buy anyways.
Same. I wanted to buy a PS5, play the ps4 games i missed, and be up and running with the next gen.
When they anounced the prices, my interest plumeted. Currently im searching for a used Ps4 Pro or wait for Black Friday sales.
Aren't those prices in Deutsche Mark?
Yeah , yeah they are. But there are a lot of people that bring up prices from back then because they ignore stuff like:
Markets and the general economy change over time and so do price expectations. People generally might not have as much disposable income as they did back then, and similarly there's simply more people who want to purchase games than ever before. It's not as simple as "it was fine back then so it's fine now."

Lower disposable income than in the 90ties for the average person (incerased housing cost all over the world with wage stagnation), reduced production cost of the media (cartridges where expensive back then, disc releases are extremly cheap to manufacture, need less space (less storage/stocking space needed -> lower cost), way biggere market (back then million sellers where not that comon, today a million sold is a flop for AAA publishers), rapidly falling cost of last years (or even months) games, continuous revenue stream (DLC, Microtransactions, ...), more unified development architecture (on the hardwareside, and on the backend with engines) to for multiplatform developers.
Mostly: they are selling 50%+ digital now. That means: all the costs of producing,transporting, storing the games are gone, and the retailer cut is also gone, it goes straight to the publisher or sony.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's fair. So I'll wait for sales, like I already do for all Sony games (and most other games).

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
r1zOBVM.jpg

is it though?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Big mad posts but Sony knows the folks are not going to skip the next GOW because of an extra $10. Casuals don't even realize games "cost" $60. Hardcore folks will hem and haw but they'll pony up before chancing spoilers by not playing on day one. Cory Barlog's beach house needs a new hot tub. Pay up!

This thread isn't about the US price increase though. Its about the UK one which has increased by £20+

Oct 25, 2017
At £70, Sony are pricing certain players out of the market - particularly families who just can't reasonably afford £70 games.

Of course there will always be people who can't afford them, but unless they buy tons of games (which most people don't do) families should be fine. A trip to the theme park with the whole family is a lot more expensive and these are doing fine as well (before the pandemic hit at least).

The proof will be in the pudding but I think Sony will be fine. And if they won't, they'll lower the prices. That's how it works.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Are there £70 PS5 games that are "full of MTX"?
Destruction Allstar is already known to have Microtransactions

Whats also bafling: the Main game they are pushing for this initiative is Demons Souls.... a remake. The game design aspect was done. It was a tried and tested formula. No long experimentation, trying out boss patterns, creating new enemies... the game literally runs the original code in parralell to the new graphics engine.
By that logic, should the next original souls game then bei even 10-20€ more expensive, since they have to desing the gameplay as well as the graphics?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be one of these threads without tales of how back in the day you had to weed your neighbours gardens for months and then walk miles in the howling rain to the sole local game selling establishment, all for the privilege of paying £75 for F-Zero on the SNES

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
This thread isn't about the US price increase though. Its about the UK one which has increased by £20+

Yeah Demon Souls on Amazon is £69.99. Most new day one games I bought last gen and cross gen ones with Series X so far have been around £50. That's a big jump. I know I'm probably in the minority but it's why I'm waiting until later to get a PS5 when hopefully the first party games will have dropped in price. I don't think there's a game out there I would buy for £70. I'll just wait.