• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
"If you measure the hours of entertainment provided by a video game"
I don't and nobody should, especially you.
Do you have an other valid explanation?

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
If that money actually trickles down to the developer, sure, yeah, happy to give them more.
If it doesn't though, no, it's not justified.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
70£ for a videogame could be fair, compared to development costs, but not compared to my (and many other) costumers wallets, right now in the middle of a pandemic/economic crysis
I just hope that many Sony games will be available (new, on sale) for 20 bucks months after release

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
70 USD is worth it for a great game. The issue lies in the games that are average. But consumers need to vote with their wallets. A game like Demon's Souls could go for 100 USD and I'd still buy it. Because where else can I play a game that good and that well made? You pay a premium price for premium content.

But then look at Godfall. That game is only worth maybe 40 USD at its quality level.

So people just shouldn't buy it and it'll drop in price. Vote with your wallets, really is as simple as that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think you will be seeing a lot more sales, physically and digitally

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Stop all the microtransaction bullshit from publishers then it might be fair.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think £60 is a fair price, but that for only the biggest of games, trying to sell games that are mid tier near £70 is honestly a bit of a joke, but I think it will start to show in the charts, whereby people will buy less multiple titles of PS5 games. I had about 5 games pre-ordered and I just couldn't honestly buy them with a good conscious. PS4 I purchased a lot of games day 1, now I got Spiderman and AC and that's it. So the very people they worry about not buying (people like me) are even being turned off the price... See what its like in 12 months time, but I expect costs to be driven down.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
things era members believe:
- devs shouldn't crunch
- devs should get paid
- graphics need to substantially improve every generation
- games should cost the same forever

(this doesn't include any bullshit they're pulling between territories of course)

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember in the Genesis and SNES days paying a lot for a few games (Final Fantasy 3, SF2, Phantasy Star 2), but honestly the hobby is big enough and can move millions of units which makes this type of pricing seem unnecessary and if they were going to raise the price they likely should have delayed that a year as we're in the midst of a pandemic.
This type of sentiment from Sony makes me happy that I'll be doing most of my gaming through Gamepass which is a massive value proposition compared with $70 games.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
www.telegraph.co.uk

PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan: £70 is fair price for PS5 games and launch line-up is console's best ever

The second part of the Telegraph's exclusive interview also covers console storage, cloud gaming and the PS5's divisive design

A recent interview with Jim Ryan has been published in UK newspaper The Telegraph today, with some interesting quotes about Sony's decision to raise their RRPs to £70 in the UK.

Also, Jim Ryan had this to say on the recent Bloomberg reports that Sony considered even higher prices

The article also covers things such as launch line up and cross gen games but I thought this was pertinent to discuss. For US based people, £70 is over $90, which I'm sure you'd agree is absurd for a videogame. If I recall correctly, the US RRPs are now $70, which would be around £52, which would be much more reasonable. Sony is essentially raising prices in the UK and Europe to ridiculous levels and trying to justify it.

FWIW, I'm sure Microsoft will also be setting their prices this high, and if you buy physical games they're unlikely to actually cost you RRP, but this will be a significant issue if you're UK based and wanting to go all digital where prices usually are, outside of sales, set at RRP.
Our prices include tax, so they are not as divergent as you make out.

Oct 25, 2017
It's only fair insofar as I can continue selling my games once I beat them. And at that price, I'll be sure to shift as many on as possible.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seems fair to me. Happy to pay £70 for something that gives me that level and amount of enjoyment.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
"If you measure the hours of entertainment provided by a video game"
I don't and nobody should, especially you.
Do you have an other valid explanation?
Yeah it's a tremendously dumb metric and something like Netflix or Hulu slays it anyway. $13 a month for literally all you can watch content.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What else is he gonna say ?
And considering how expensive some of the bigger Sony single player titles are i cant even blame him.

Pretty sure they upped the standard price because they have nurtured a market of steep price drops and sales expectations - so most of the lifetime sales a game achieved are gonna come post price drops and on sale anyway...so they upped the base price to still be able to charge like 30 bucks with games on sale 6 months after release.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Here Jim, for you

cmUctgK.png

Brazil would like a word with y'all.

Jimbo, you are very wrong on this one. 60$ was fine.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I find it amusing that publishers are complaining about game prices in an era with where digital sales are handing them a larger chunk of the pie, as well as the revenue coming from DLC and microtransactions.

It ultimately comes down to demand and supply. Hopefully, once the launch period has passed, consumers will send a decisive message regarding the jump up to £70/€80. This isn't a US situation where games have remained at $60 for 15 years - here in Europe, prices have jumped up (twice) already over the course of last gen, and now they're bumping it up even more.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nope.

That's why I am utilizing sales and the local used game market for my PS5 gaming needs.

It will be like the old days for me, when game purchases are few and far between.

Yeah, as someone who routinely bought new games this gen for £40, I absolutely refuse to pay £70 for a game. I will shop around for the best deal I can find or just wait. Getting Demon's Souls for £50 made it a bearable purchase, and that's only because I had a £20 voucher.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
- devs shouldn't crunch
- devs should get paid

(this doesn't include any bullshit they're pulling between territories of course)

Game have been selling more than ever. And companies have been generating record profits. Explain that.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I think you will be seeing a lot more sales, physically and digitally
They removed the ability to buy playstation digital games with third party vendors in europe (not sure about the US) so they basically fucked us over double and now completely depend on Sony giving any deals or not

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Apparently he also says that he can't comment on whether Ragnarok is PS5 exclusive (as opposed to crossgen) in that interview, and that's the only bit of the interview that actually has the potential to piss me off.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
if the game is good, sure.

not sure i fully understand that rationale. Do we say anything above 70% metacritic is £70? lol

One things for certain, the actual devs at the coalface wont see any of the benefits of that increase in price thats for sure nor will it end the countless microtransactions used to pad out content

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I mean, it's fair for the amount of work that goes into these games for sure - But we're heading for a global recession so I don't know if the vast population is going to agree that this price is fair for what they get - Especially since I think for many people there will be easier and cheaper ways to get entertainment.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
If that's "fair", based on price to time, let's say a movie is around 2 hours and costs $15. So, should a 20 hour game cost $150? That's why comparing purely based on time doesn't really work.
Yeah, this type of argument is always a bit silly.

On the other hand, (and I'll be that guy) I'm not sure what else Jim Ryan could have said ("you're right, totally not a fair price").
But I agree it's the rest of the argument that doesn't fly.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
ive this month started to use Boomerang game rentals because of the high price of ps5 games... yes game rentals in 2020! but its bstter than £70

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
By his logic Lost Legacy should be 10 bucks.
- devs shouldn't crunch
- devs should get paid

They are making more money than ever but keep fighting the good fight. Multimillion companies need your help

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
No it's not fair and they will shoot themselves in the foot by doing this. Because nobody will take a chance on a game anymore and will only buy the highest rated AAA titles to make sure they get value for their money.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
- devs shouldn't crunch
- devs should get paid

Things to consider when videogame companies raise the prices:
- They are making record profits in an era when they didn't raise the base price of games.
-They have outperformed in profit growth most sectors in the decade of 2010s (and in the stock market too).

That kinda changes the topic of discussion

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you confirm whether [the previously announced] God of War Ragnorak will be a PS5 exclusive?

"Sorry. I've got nothing to say about that today."

get ready for the cross gen folks